Back from the Brink

sherm

The room was filled with the smell of smoke, the haze washing over him. Simon Morrison could almost see the emptiness of the bottom of his glass, and while sitting there comparing it with his life, he raised the glass for another. His hair was unkempt, beard ruffled, and his clothes ragged. This was a man who had once been on the brink of greatness, the brink of being heralded as a mastermind, a tactical genius. However, in one fell swoop, in one short month, it all came crashing down around him. It was over four years ago, but he remembered it like it was only yesterday…

His Arsenal side had been built over the previous five years. Blood, sweat, toil and tears had gone into that side, and as the end of the season approached, so did glory. Seven points clear with four games to go, a Cup final and a second leg of a Champions League semi-final, with a 3-0 lead from the first. Two injuries later, and disaster, their lead was down to one point and the final game was upon them. However, it was the second leg against Barcelona that sent him over the edge. Two red cards, three injuries, and a 5-1 defeat meant they went out. No glory, no final. Just a nightmare…

Then there was the FA Cup. 1-0 ahead, fifteen minutes to go, and looking comfortable. Then, an own goal and a mistake from the ‘keeper, and that was gone. Two trophies lost, just like that. They still had the league to go. A home game against an already relegated side? What could possibly go wrong? In this case, everything. They were awful, and with a minute to go, were caught on the counter. 1-0. Game over, title gone. The worst month in his history, in his career…

“Mr Morrison?”

His thought process was interrupted by the voice behind him. He spun round to see a smartly dressed man in his 30’s

“Yes, Who’s asking?”

“My name is Jacco Swart. I am the Managing Director for De Graafschap Football Club”

“Good for you. What’s that got to do with me?”

The man sat down, ordering a whisky as he did so

“I am in charge of finding a manager for the club. The new chairman has just taken over and he has instructed me to find you, and offer you the position”

He laughed, sitting on the stool next to the man

“Maybe your chairman doesn’t realise but my career went down the pan four years ago. What happened at Arsenal…”

“He is well aware of that. But he believes you are the right man to take the club forward”

“I’m not a football manager anymore..”

“Have a day to think about it. I will ring you tomorrow at 9pm to get your decision”

And with that, he was gone. Bloody fool. Why on earth would he want to employ a man who was a failure?

Jacco Swart was however, as good as his word. He rang back the next night, giving more reasons why they wanted him. It took ten minutes of back and forth conversation, but eventually, things came to a head. Simon Morrison sighed, hung his head, and uttered just one sentence

“Which airport do I fly into?”

--

Two days later, suitcase in hand and his best suit dusted off, he was heading to the Doetinchem region of Holland. De Graafschap were a club who, despite having been around for almost fifty years, had never won any silverware. The stadium, De Vijverberg, held just 12,600, and while considerably bigger than many of the Eerste Division sides, it wasn’t among the bigger ones in the Premier Division. The new chairman however, had taken the liberty of faxing over some details for him to read on his way. He had pledged money for new transfers, a kitty of £8,000,000, with anything he brought in also being available. He had also allowed him to bring his own team – this did represent a problem, as it had been four years since he was in management. He had no team anymore. He did however, have a few friends he would be contacting, thinking them ideal for the role

He was lost in his thoughts when the cab pulled up into a car park, and the door quickly opened. There was Jacco Swart, immaculately dressed once again, to welcome him

“Ah Simon, welcome. You made good time”

“Everyone was really helpful, and flight and trains were on time”

“Excellent. Come, everyone is inside”

He led him down a winding corridor, the décor looking fresh and new, before stopping outside an oak panelled door. The gold plaque said just one word. Boardroom. They stepped inside to a sea of smoke and smiles

--

The meeting had been pretty successful. Hylke Enkerink, the chairman, had outlined his plans for the club. He had given him financial statements, transfer and wage budgets, and a squad overview compiled by the coaching staff. He had agreed to Simon calling round his contacts within the game, getting them on board, and they had ended with their goals for the season. Finish outside the relegation places. Simple as that. However, the squad needed some work and some investment. That was one of the things on his list. The first was to pick up the phone and add to his coaching staff

It took a couple of days, but eventually, he had managed it. Spencer Field had come in as chief scout, his knowledge of players second to none, and he had immediately been dispatched to scour the globe. He was joined by two coaches, Rob Campkin and former Chelsea and Spurs man Jason Cundy. He was a very good friend of Simon, and Campkin had worked with him before so they were both keen to join up with the club. He also added an assistant manager, Andre Hoekstra turning down Excelsior’s contract offer and becoming Simon’s number two. So he had his staff in place, it was time to turn to the squad. He felt there weren’t enough players of sufficient quality to achieve what he wanted, and it took him all of ten minutes to summarise his squad list

Stefan Postma was looking like first choice between the sticks. However, he wasn’t great so that meant Jan Vevers would provide cover. It was still an area that needed strengthening though, and quickly he set out to find more shot stoppers.

Tchangai was talented, and would easily command one of the three defensive slots. There wasn’t however, a lot of competition, with probably only Arno Splinter (who was more a defensive midfielder) and Michael van der Kruis able to compete with him for a slot

Michel Nok was the best of the central midfielders, and while his formation had no wingers, he needed more cover desperately, as John van den Brom and Maarten Kerkhof were the next best options, but van den Brom was 35 and wouldn’t provide much of a cover. In the attacking role, just behind the striker, there were two available positions but only Ruslan Valeev, a 19 year old signed the previous season looked like he had the requisite talent to fill the role

Two strikers were of the necessary quality, and while Dutchman Peter van Vossen was experienced, he would play second fiddle to Dennis Schulp. While there was still plenty of time to cover, he knew this was probably the one area he could leave till the end as the rest of the squad needed reinforcing first

--

Hoekstra and Campkin had taken charge of the first week of training, basically getting the players fit enough to compete, and while Simon watched on from his office and took notes, he met individually with each of the players over that week. He was a busy man, as he was also trying to complete several deals for players, and the free transfer market became his most returned place. PSV Eindhoven had let an influx of players leave their reserve squad, so he quickly swooped to sign goalkeeper Patrick Lodewijks, an experienced pro who had played over 300 games in his career. He was quickly followed by central midfielder Bjorn Becker, a talented individual who had youth on his side, and attacking midfielder Marcel Majoros, a man who looked destined to go straight into the first team picture at the club. All three fitted in quickly, making their impact in training, and they were soon joined by a couple of younger players. Young Portuguese striker Joao Paiva signed a deal, and he was looking set to lead the line in the reserves, while at the opposite end of the pitch, goalkeeper Omar Johansson was also signed to a long term contract. These were stars for the future, without a doubt, and for Simon to secure their signatures was a real good bit of business

Cheers Mark. Glad to have you on board!

---

Nine days into his tenure, and on the day of his first pre-season game, they secured a huge signing. Taribo West was a man of great experience, who had played regularly in the top flight in England and Italy, and still played for his country. It had been more of a whim to see if he would sign but his not unreasonable wage demands and his desire to play first team football meant he was quick to agree a four year deal. It was a huge addition to the squad, and he sat in the stands for the home friendly with Omniworld, a game which they comfortably won 3-0. It wasn’t a thrilling performance, but a steady and professional job was done, as goals from Dennis Schulp, Michel Nok and debutant Majoros secured a good win before they jetted off to Ireland for their three game pre-season tour

--

“Boss, it’s me”

Spencer Field had spent less than 24 hours at the club since signing his deal, as he had been out around Europe scouting, and he had sent through extensive reports. However, when he phoned on this particular day, he was uncontrollably excited

“What’s up Spence?”

“Found us a striker boss. The kids amazing. Strong, quick, good in the air, two good feet. He has to be signed!”

“Really? That good?”

“I’ve made enquiries. He plays for Dinamo Minsk, in Belarus. Maxim Tsigalko. Reckon no more than two million will get him. Honestly boss, he can be the man”

“Ok, do the business Spencer. We fly out to Ireland tomorrow but I’ve got a meeting with a couple of agents today. Keep me posted”

“Will do”

As it turned out, it was just one agent, as Vaclav Furneev represented both players Simon was trying to sign. Belarus was turning into a haven for good players, as holding midfielder Andrey Milevsky, who’s club had accepted a £500,000 offer, and BATE Borisov defender Alexey Baga were both exceptionally talented. Baga was a big man, well over six feet tall, and his power and physical presence would certainly be something strikers wouldn’t like to play against. Milevsky on the other hand, was more skilful. An exceptional passer of a ball, not scared to put his foot in and took a mean penalty. The talks went smoothly, both men wanting to test themselves at a higher level, and within two hours of meeting with them, they had signed on the dotted line. Both men would fly to Ireland with the squad and gain some playing time, aswell as meet their new team mates and coaching staff

Simon decided a team meeting was needed, so he gathered all the players around the hotel bar, along with Andre Hoekstra, Rob Campkin and Jason Cundy

“OK lads, listen up. Now there are a few things I wanted to say just before the main work starts. Yes this is a business trip, we’re here to get fit and gel as a team, but please don’t stay in your rooms all day and night. Go out, see the sights and enjoy this beautiful country. Second of all, if you haven’t done so already, introduce yourselves to Andrey and Alexey. Make them feel at home. And while we’re on the subject, rooms will be drawn at random. Your names have been put in a hat and will be drawn by Jason and Rob after this meeting”

A hand raised at the back of the room

“Yes Arno?”

“Sorry boss. What’s the curfew?”

“I was hoping you would ask me that. I am not going to give you one. You are all professional footballers, and you are all grown men. I will leave it up to you as to when you want to come in. You all have the dates for the games, so it is your choice entirely. Now, see the lads and pick your room-mate”

Twenty minutes later, after all the rooms were sorted, Simon was sat at the bar with a tonic water when he was approached by Rob Campkin

“Rob, sit down. Drink?”

“Lager please”

He took a long sip, before looking over at his manager with a serious expression

“Boss, is it wise not to give them a curfew?”

“Maybe not, but I want to see who has got it in them to fight for the cause. Plus, as long as they don’t go out the night before a game, I don’t mind them enjoying themselves”

“OK. Well I admire the decision, and of course we will back you to the hilt. I just don’t think I’d have been able to make it!”

--

The opening game of the tour was a trip to Dundalk. The players had all behaved reasonably well and had gotten a good nights sleep behind them, so it was a no brainer to put their best side out. This worked a treat, as a rampant performance saw them run out 5-0 winners. Milevsky scored a sublime free-kick, Dennis Schulp grabbed a brace and the final two goals came from Joao Paiva and Bjorn Becker. Admittedly the opposition wasn’t of the greatest standard but as the old saying goes, you can only beat what is in front of you

That night, as he was sifting through his emails, he received a phone call from Spencer Field. Tsigalko’s club had accepted the bid without hesitation, and the striker had been keen to fly to Ireland with him to secure his contract. They would be arriving tomorrow afternoon, and would make their way to the hotel. Field very rarely got excited about players, but he had been waxing literal about this one since he saw him. Simon trusted his judgement so had no hesitation in following his enthusiasm and making the bid. That said, he was also pleased with the extra money in the kitty, as he read his email from Robert van Osch, the coach who had stayed in Holland to arrange all the transfers out

From ; Rvanosch@DeGraaf.co.uk

CC ; Departing Players

--

Simon

I have completed all of the outgoing player deals, and all money should be in the transfer fund by tomorrow morning. Bakary Diakite went to Feyenoord for £850,000, with Rody Turpjin moving to NEC Nijmegen for £550,000. Monchengladbach signed van Vossen, and that got us £675,000. Marino Promes surprisingly commanded £1 million, as he went to River Plate, and Purrel Frankel went to Dortmund for £1.2 million. Altogether gives us just over £4 million, of which the chairman assures me we can have all of it for incoming transfers

Congratulations on the Dundalk game

Rob

More free transfers were completed in the next few days to go along with the Tsigalko deal, as young Ghanaian Arriki Afriyie penned a deal. This was a good signing as several clubs, including Panathinaikos and Nurnberg were courting his signature, and he was also joined by another fellow African, a man with tons of international experience, Karim Bagheri. The Algerian was a terrific ball player, and his energy allowed him to get box to box, which was something that the team did lack slightly, so this was a great move. Joao Paiva had recommended his good friend and fellow U21 international Ricardo Jorge, and after his week long trial, he had been signed and would find himself alongside his team mate. He had pace in abundance, knew where the goal was and could drop deep to take the ball too so he was looking like another one for the future

Sligo Rovers provided the next opposition, and while they were a sterner test than the previous opponents, Simon was still able to watch his side claim a 3-1 win. Michel Nok was superb in this game, running the game from midfield, and he twice slipped the ball through for goals. The first was to Ruslan Valeev, his shot finding the net, and the second was a debut goal for Tsigalko, as he rounded the ‘keeper and finished like he wasn’t even there. Alexey Baga headed home a third from a corner and even conceding a late goal couldn’t dampen their spirits. They were playing well, combining to make some good football and the team were gelling off the field too

Maxim Tsigalko had looked a beast in his early days at the club, and would prove to be a handful for defenders, so when he came to Simon to recommend his international team mate, he listened. Any striker who recommends a winger has obviously played with him and has been set up for a few goals, so when Alexey Denisenya agreed to join from Neman Grodno for the paltry fee of £250,000, it was an excellent piece of business. The squad needed to have harmony and know that their opinion was valued, so Simon knew that if he listened to them and their recommendations, he couldn’t do too much wrong

--

“What have you got Spence?”

“Couple of African players boss. Ibrahim Said wants to move to a bigger club, and we could get him for a mill. Isaak Okoronkwo is at Shakhtar, so may be a touch more expensive”

“OK. Both worth a punt?”

“Without a doubt. Okoronkwo can play anywhere across the back, and Said can play in defence or midfield. Both big strong lads and Okoronkwo loves to bomb forward. Real footballing defender”

“Ok. Do what you need then. We’ve got the money in the bank so don’t worry about that”

The squad was starting to take shape. The players coming in were all quality acquisitions, who could all provide plenty to the team, and he secretly harboured ambitions for a top four finish. He didn’t express this though, he just agreed with the boards assessment of mid-table

Archived