Where's Williams? Life after Prestatyn

EvilDave

The final MLS match of my tenure would be at home to the Houston Dynamo, the club who had taken my first designated player, Vladislav Klepikov, away from us after a drunken skiing accident and inadvertently spurred us on to our first MLS title. They were not my ideal opponents, but in many ways a fitting one.

The match itself was a fitting end as well, as it featured many of the classic Sounders traits we had demonstrated over the years. We conceded an early goal - Rodriguez unable to sort out his feet and bundling over his own goal-line after a dangerous low free-kick. We hit back almost immediately, Sibandze netting the equaliser before a Houston player touched the ball, and then proceeded to blow the visitors away in a classic Seattle blitz. Eight minutes after netting the first we scored our third, the big Belgian converting from the penalty spot minutes after a fine Shannon finish, and after a further 10 minutes he made it two braces for our strikers with a 25-yard effort into the top corner.

The final box to be ticked was a slower second half, and we duly delivered, icing the cake in injury time with a curling effort from Cho to make it 5-1 and rub salt in the wounds of our opponents. The Amazon crowd gave us, and me in particular, a standing ovation as we walked off at the full-time whistle with our remarkable unbeaten record still intact - it was now 36 games and eight months across three competitions since we had last tasted defeat - and I only hoped the new man could keep it going.

Nine days later, with Rachel and girls already setting up home in England, we would have the opportunity to make it 37 in what would be my fourth Open Cup campaign, kicking things off at home against Reading United. Before then, there would be plenty of goodbyes, not a few tears, and a fair amount of work for my new employers done behind the scenes.

England was a regular source of communication in that final week, whether it be from my wife and kids as I simply wanted to hear their voices, the club as they finalised staffing arrangements and asked me various questions relating to my office set-up, or my scouting team as I rang to follow up on reports produced for my new squad. Haneuer was happy for me to do so, as long as I left suitable notes for my successor, and given that they were almost certainly already at the club, that was fine by me.

I did have it in mind to let Clint lead the squad against Reading, but out of respect partly for due process and partly for our opponents, I chose to take the helm one last time. It was the right decision - the club chose to hold the cup game at the Amazon, and I was given a typically Sounders send-off - vocal, passionate, supportive. On the field, goals from Bustos, Kalenga and young Pete Rodgers settled things comfortably in our favour, and at the final whistle my players began their preparations for the World Cup - something the MLS commissioners had yet to figure out how to cope with.

But fixture congestion, key players out of action and a month-long hole in the domestic season were not my problem, and all I had to worry about was getting out of Seattle without letting anyone know where my next move was taking me. The press had already established I was heading to England - they were many things, but not completely stupid - but had yet to reveal the identity of my next venture. Whether they would even care once I was out of the US and the World Cup was on was another matter, but at any rate they would only have to wait a few more days.

As I flew out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport for what would probably be the last time, I reflected that I would miss managing the Sounders. I would miss the atmosphere at the club, the honesty of the owners, the passion of the fans. I would miss having a dominant team - something I was unlikely to ever achieve in England - and winning at a canter.

But I was ready for a challenge, ready to test myself against the very past. England was where I could do that, and England had invited me in. Quite how I would get on with the new team, only time would tell.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, that brings the second part of the Owain Williams saga to a close. From disappointment at being overlooked for the Gibraltar job to Champions League winner on two continents, it's been one heck of a ride for Owain, and it isn't over yet. There will be a third installment, but for the time being I'll be taking a short break from the series and looking at other ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have read and commented - this has been my longest-running story to date, and probably the work I'm proudest of, and it's a real encouragement to see others enjoying the story. For now however, that's it from Owain and the family - although he'll definitely be back before too long!

21 hours ago, neilhoskins77 said:

You're actually going to leave us hanging and make us wait before revealing Owain's new destination? You absolute scoundrel ED! ha

I am indeed. I'd apologise, but it wouldn't be sincere :D

Archived