4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 & 4-3-3

I'm in the process of trying to replicate real life tactics. I've just finished making a 4-4-2 tactic based on Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United. It was challenging when applying the final touches, but the base was easy. I understand the flat 4-4-2 in terms of players positioning and what to look for in the match engine.

My problems come when trying to accurately replicate other 'modern' systems in FM.

The main problem is where to position the players on the tactics screen.

For instance, I've read that on FM the 4-2-3-1 should be set up as a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2DM-3-1 (with the 3 being positioned in the midfield strata. Some see 4-4-1-1 as more of a 4-4-2 and think that the 4-2-3-1 is more a variant of a 4-5-1.

Then there is the 4-3-3. In my understanding the wide players in a 4-3-3 play further forward than they do in a 4-2-3-1 (in real life). However, I read a lot on here that it is a good idea to set up a 4-3-3 as a 4-1-4-1, morphing into a 4-3-3 in attack. Which makes me wonder what is the difference between that interpretation of a 4-3-3 and a 4-5-1?

All very confusing.

I'd love to hear people's opinions on their interpretations on the difference between these 3 formations.

The best way to replicate real life 4-2-3-1 in FM imo is this:

-----------------GK----------------

DR--------DC---------DC--------DL

----------DMC-------DMC----------

MR-------------------------------ML

----------------AMC----------------

-----------------ST-----------------

There are different types of 4-3-3s and 4-5-1. I never use 4-5-1. When I use 4-3-3 I do:

-----------------GK-----------------

DR---------DC-------DC---------DL

----------------DMC----------------

------------MC-------MC-----------

AMR-----------------------------AML

-----------------ST------------------

I wouldn't use a 4-5-1, because I dislike lack of DMs; if I did use it I would use it with a DM, but then imo it would't be consireded a 4-5-1, it would be a 4-1-4-1.

Adding 4-1-4-1 into the mix too haha!

So if a 4-5-1 is only seen as a flat 4-5-1, do you think there are even any teams in real life that set up that way?

Are there any teams that actually set up with a 4-2-3-1 as it is on FM? Or would that be seen as more of a 4-2-4 in real life? (Which I'm sure very few teams would actually play with these days)

Archived