"Well, we don't want you to be a better manager, because you might leave us for a better job!"

Managing in an expanded US league system, I go to ask for permission to get a better coaching certification. The board says "while we think it's good for you to improve your skills, we don't support it because you might leave us for a higher-level team". I select the "this is a good thing for the team, it's not about me", and so they say "well, with reservations we're going to let you pursue your certification".

Hey...Chairman Moron: I have 6 months left on a 2-year contract, if you really were worried about losing me, maybe you'd offer me a multi-year contract extension, especially since I've given you back-to-back promotions. I'm managing in my home town, I've repeatedly expressed how great the situation is here, we're winning...the only reason I'd leave is if you consistently demonstrate you don't value me as an employee. I'm going to give them a week, and then I'm going in for a contract renewal.

Archived