Trade AI - waivers

Looks like the AI needs a little tweak.

Was just about heading into my 12th season and had a few roster issues before the season started. As i had more than 23 guys on my NHL and all of them waiver eligible, i tried to trade one. I offered the player to another team for a 2nd rounder but unlike other situations that need an immidiate response (deadline, draft), i didnt get an answer before my next game and had to waive the player. The guy cleared and the day after i received news that the other team accepted my proposal. So I got a 2nd rounder for a player who was on waivers just a day before, just doesnt seem right.

Why not?

A player that has cleared waivers and can be called up without fears of loosing him is worth more than a player that you can't send down without risk loosing him. They might not have been able to place a waiver claim on him as a team is only allowed one active claim at a time.

This very situation occurs once in a while in NHL, although not with 2nd round draft picks.

Why not?

If it was only a low pick I would have no issues with it but giving up a 2nd rounder for a player they could have had on waivers seems rather stupid. Only Benning would do that in the NHL. ;)

I assume the decission to trade the 2nd rounder for him was made before I put him on waivers (only that i received the msg a few days later). Normally the AI should come right back to my offer if I am against the roster limit or above the cap but somehow it doesnt before the first game of the season. Just feels like "not working as intended".

I believe it's due to the AI being an "expert system" in design and thus is operating on a limited set of rules when making its decisions. It's very obviously not taking into account your roster situation and thinking ahead like a real life GM would - "No, he's gonna have to waiver him, I'll wait and make a claim instead".

The game has limitations that show up here and there. I tend to not get too frustrated about it as long as it's not a deal-breaker and I feel that the problem is recognized and progress is being made.

Other areas have the same problems. One is coaching and players ice-time where no coach has ever taken the game situation into account when putting players on ice causing situations where your top players are grinding every PK-minute despite you being up by 5 in the third. And placing two wingers together on a PK-unit, neither of them having won a single face-off in their entire career. Another one is where the 1st overall pick is worth the sun and the moon the day before the draft but you can trade for the player picked during draft day for, sometimes, peanuts.

Archived