Ideal PPMs for possession

So after reading Cleon's immense Possession article, and applying some of the principals to my own game I've started to delve into the world of PPMs to try and replicate as close as the ME allows Peps Barcelona/Bayern. Now a few of the PPMs like 'plays short simple passes' and 'plays one twos' are already being learned by most of the players. I would love some input on other PPMs that people might think would be best to use for what position, hopefully this will start a conversation.

Example of PPMs being learnt.

DR/DL - Plays one twos

DMC - Stays back at all times/Plays short simple passes

F9 - Drops deep/Plays one twos/Tries killer balls

Now what would be the best PPMs for the 2 IF(S) and MC(S)?

I'm thinking for the 2 IF(S) Plays ones twos as it will help will attacking movement and also increase passes. I'm also think 'move into channels' to bring them closer to the MCs which will then allow for passing triangles.

I'm I heading the right way? or am I just thinking madness.

"Moves into channels" won't bring them closer though. This PPM is mostly for central players to drift into the space between CD and FB.

For the F9 role I don't think you need "comes deep" because the role already makes the player drop deep enough without. Instead the PPM would be useful if you were using a different role like CF-S for example.

Plays short simple passes and plays one twos are the best ones. For defenders you can have "does not dive into tackles". "Dictates tempo" might be a good one for playmakers. "Places shots" could be useful for attacking players. "Looks for pass rather than attempt to score" is another one, mostly for midfielders.

Personally I like to have one midfielder or two with either "Gets forward" or "Arrives late into the box" or "Gets into the opposition area". While another midfielder or two with "comes deep to get ball".

I though 'moves into channels' for wide players would have them sit in space between the FB - CD, is that not the case?

A nice selection of PPMs there yonko, thank you it gives me some food for thought as a template for my Ajax save.

Archived