Keeping Motivated?

Hello there, long time FM player like most people here...

Back when I was in school CM2 days onwards I used to take over the lowest clubs I could in England and blaze my way to back to back promotions to the Prem, suddenly the difficulty ramped up and I've found myself having to "lower" the difficulty each season by going up the Leagues until last year I started in the Premier League, I went an entire season undefeated for the first time ever within 6-7 years and the game actually became a bit dull, I felt like I'd achieved very little indeed.

So this year, I took over my local side Chorley in the Vanarama Northern League, first season I missed out on the play offs by a whisker. This season I've been average again, play offs may be a big ask.

I'm determined to get back to the glory days of taking over recently promoted to the lowest league team and making them world beaters again.

However the motivation is waning hard, I hate the thought of reloading, cheating, editing all of the above. I'd rather just kill the save. How do you guys do it? I read Defuge challenge posts and people fly out of the Conference in 2-3 seasons. I can't even get my side together or playing any form of cohesive football. How do you keep motivated personally to keep on playing? Any tips for a lower league manager?

The game has defiantly got more complex every year. There are a number of options I have found benefit myself

1. Look on line for tactics other people have come up with as a starting point and see if you can benefit from them or tweak them to your liking.

2. Read up what makes great tactics work, many example on line or Amazon have a Football Manager book

3. Look at trends in the real football world, what works best for lower league teams, I have found this seems to have been emulated in FM

I have found that reading more about different positions and what they mean has really helped my game.

I hope you stick with it and find the solution your looking for.

It's not so much the difficulty, I like that it's got a little harder, I used to be able to win the Champions League within 10 season after taking over a Conference side. I like that I have to work for it. I've spent the last 2-3 games playing as Championship or higher sides and not really struggling again. I'm not used to really struggling and it's disheartening, was just wondering how people keep motivated to carry on and not give up.

Hello there, long time FM player like most people here...

Back when I was in school CM2 days onwards I used to take over the lowest clubs I could in England and blaze my way to back to back promotions to the Prem, suddenly the difficulty ramped up

I'm determined to get back to the glory days of taking over recently promoted to the lowest league team and making them world beaters again.

But surely its better to have a challenge than easily get back to back promotions each year which is boring and easy and would never happen in real life. For me its fun to start from the bottom and see where the game takes me and it would be a bit unrealistic and dull if i was my local dulwich hamlet and took them to the premier league in 7 seasons

Oh yeah of course! The thrill wears off quickly, one of the most fun saves I've ever had was a slog getting Southend to win the Prem, getting there was fine, staying up and establishing them was hard work.

I don't mind losing or it being hard, sorry if this came across as a complaint or a moan. I'm just wondering how people cope with slumps and bad form.

I came 2nd in manager of the season in our league last season. I still felt i'd underachieved, but i was fine with no promotion.

Archived