Starting somewhere - Lowestoft

OhBeep

I'll have the shirt of your back

You have to start somewhere, so I’m told. After a not too glittering footballing “career” (if you could call it that) in the Sunday leagues, I wanted something more. The desire to be in and around the football world is massive. The Sunday Leagues can offer a place to start, but there had to be something more. Maybe the job I'd heard about at Lowestoft could be it?

When I submitted my CV I honestly didn’t think they’d even read beyond the first couple of lines. Who am I to them, was my thinking. They’ve been around since 1884, I’ve been around since 1974. This is a semi-professional outfit and I was a pub team manager. They have links with Norwich City, I had links with the local pub landlord. You get the point, I hope. For some they may not seem a massive team, but for me they may as well have been Man Utd.

Okay, so I have my National C Licence, so I had at least some proof that I wasn’t just some village idiot who with a copy of Football Manager.

The interview with Gary Keyzer didn’t exactly go well. I turned up late - I’m from Nottingham, Lowestoft may as well have been on a different continent as far as my sense of direction goes. Once I got in to his office, I immediately tripped up and managed to grab his shirt. I literally took the shirt off his back. Once that excitement was over and Gary had changed in to a replica team shirt, I promptly sat down and managed to let out a very loud fart. As I was beginning to wish the ground would swallow me whole, Gary burst out laughing. The kind of big, joyous laugh that is infectious. So, I too started laughing. His secretary popped his head around the door to see if we were okay, within seconds he was laughing too - even though he didn’t know why.

Eventually, we all calmed down and Gary said simply “Hell of a way to break the ice”. From that point on, the interview was a breeze. We talked football for ages and discussed ambitions. We both wanted to build something, not just use the club as a stepping stone to bigger things elsewhere. This club could achieve those bigger things, we both thought. Gary was realistic, he knew that it would take time. He was happy to start by finishing in a good position in the league, then being better next season and so on. At one point it seemed like we had been friends for years and we were just passing the time. I left feeling really good about my chances.

I didn’t get the job.

Chapter 2 - The arrest and the phone call

“He was arrested yesterday morning”

“So?”

“Well they sacked him”

“Ok”

“THEY SACKED HIM!”

“SO?”

“Christ on a moped, you’re thick”

“Cheers, mate”

“Let me spell it out to you, THEY NEED A NEW MANAGER YOU DUMB TW@T!”

“Oh”

“Is that all you have to say?”

“You think I should give Gary a call?”

“Were you this thick at the interview?”

“Is that a yes then?”

“YES!”

So I called Gary K at Lowestoft. He called me a chancer, cut throat and wanted to know when I could start.

What was that conversation about? Lowestoft had appointed a more experienced manager, who also happened to be a wee bit dodgy. Within two days of his appointment he was arrested in connection of deals that would help him supplement his main income. One of the deals was attempting to sell the clubs ground - apparently he’d been working that scam for months before he got the job.

So, the job was mine. Considering the last manager hadn’t even got his seat warm before he was sacked, I consider my real predecessor to be Micky Chapman. Talk about supporting your manager, he’d been at the club 20 years. That is good to know, the revolving door some clubs install on their managers office wont be a worry here.

Seeing this much stability, I didn’t want to shake things up too much too soon - well, what I want and what my style is are two different things. For example, why did a club this size have a Director of Football? That one baffled me and still does. So, he was the first to go. When I say he was first to go, it was more of a negotiation. Him or me. I felt, after the two day tenure of the last manager, that I was in a good position to make such an ultimatum so soon.

I also lost a fitness coach and physio that day. The fitness coach was a mistake, lesson learned. I didn’t take much notice of Gary K when he told me what my staff allocation was, I was more focused on watching the training session taking place just outside his office window (office equals portakabin next to the pitch). Turns out I had a bigger staff pool than I was allowed, so wasn’t in a position to bring in my preferred fitness coach. Oops.

Chapter 3 - In they come, out they go

If I only take one thing from my time with Lowestoft, it will be that every signing MUST be properly scouted first. My policy was simple - players had to be free and young. My thoughts being to build a team that could grow together.

During pre-season I knew we had some areas to strengthen, mainly defence and the right side of midfield. Out of five players, who had trials with us, I’d say two will have long term careers with us. Harry Milton and Adam Fenwick.

Defensive Midfielder, Milton was released from Bishop’s Stortford at the end of last season, before that he’d been with MK Dons in League 1. At only 21, he fit my requirements on age. A natural leader, with good fitness/pace and strength. At 6ft 1”, I see him as the midfield enforcer. I like this kid, he’s got a good attitude and will be getting a contract renewal if he wants one.

Central Defender, Fenwick, has been in the footballing wilderness since being released by Watford in 2011. Its almost like he disappeared off the face of the planet since leaving them. He doesn’t speak much about those years either. A serious 21 year old, no one has dared ask and he hasn’t offered the information. He hasn’t got the best skill set, but I have a feeling about him and what he offers the club.

I’m writing this near the end of my first season in charge of the club, so speak with some experience of these signings. The perspective I have is that these two players were worth the punt. Fenwick scares the **** out of me - he’s that serious - but if he does that to his manager, imagine playing against him.

We also bagged an ex Chelsea man. Samuel Bangura, a young 20 year old defender who can play the full range across the back. I liked this kid when we first met, I especially liked his approach to the game and how hard he worked. Then he got on the pitch and his pace made me drool. A good, solid, utility player with pace. At this point he’s been the stand in player, with 14 games this season I think he’s going to be getting more next season.

Then there are the two I’m not so sure about.

Right Midfielder Freddie Rawson came to us on trial with big promises from my scout. Apparently he could play in League 2 if he wanted. He played one preseason friendly and his performance was jaw droopingly good He bossed the midfield, turned the opposition inside out and put a couple in the back of the net. Had I a wonder kid on my hands here? Without a second thought he was signed and went straight in to the first team. At 24 I assumed he’d got some experience and pedigree, but had just fell through the cracks. Then came his debut match, against Chorley. Where was my wonder kid? I’ve seen Blackpool donkeys with better manoeuvrability. Then he got injured. This season he’s only played 12 games and still hasn’t convinced me he’s actually the same player we saw pre-season. Having since done some research myself, turns out he hasn’t played since leaving Hull in 2010.

The last of the bunch is Left Back Daniel Day. Another youngster at 21, former Spurs youth academy player and on paper a decent player. In reality, no bottle, unable to persuade me he deserves the place in the team he keeps telling me he deserves. Oh does he tell me. He knocks on my door so often there is a worn out section on the varnish. I fall for it every time though. If he doesn’t make it in football, he should consider being a salesman.

You know how I said I wanted stability? Well, five players in seven players out. Only one of those I released do I regret. Jarvis Rossi. A central midfielder and fan favourite. At the time I didn’t see how he fit in to how I wanted to set the team up, plus he was on decent money and I needed to cut the wage bill. What I should have done is built the team and system around him. We live and learn.

The rest of the released players, well lets just say I wont have my authority questioned. It was them or me, I’m still here. At this level, with players easy to come by for free, I have no qualms in releasing those who think they are the stars of the club. Only one has gone on to another club.

Archived