Need Advice on Being More Effective in the Final Third

Hi,

I'm currently playing 4-1-2-2-1 with the below players roles. I'm happy with how I defend, and happy with how the central midfield control the game and support the attack, but when my team gets into and around the penalty area, they lose their heads. A player will receive the ball in space, have a clear shot at goal and/or a player open and will stop wait for a defender to to stand in their path and just kick it against them. The epitome of this, was when I was playing Liverpool, someone had a shot from close range the keeper saved it and it fell to Soldado, who was 2 yards out, just right from centre of the goal, the GK on the floor to his right and and he stopped with his ball at his feet (for several seconds) waited for a defender to stand in front of him on the line (with still lots un protected goal to aim for) and kicked it against the defender. There have also been multiple times when a player has the ball on the byline with a couple of unmarked options for a cut back and ignored them and opted to shoot from an impossible angle either hitting the keeper or side netting.

I realise these may be ME issues, but if not is there something in the tactics or training that I can tweek? This happens with Soldado, Kane, Munir, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Ayew, Townsend and Parejo, so it can't be an issue with the individual players.

Also, with the below tactics, my strikers aren't getting goals aswell as their overall play being poor and I have tried them on Advanced Forward, False 9 and complete forward. My AML also, usually underperforms, they get high ratings if they score (even though their general play in the ME is average, as is their rating prior to the goal). I have tried the AML as winger (support) inside forward (support) and raumdeuter and I have tried Chadli, Ayew and Townsend here. I think it would benefit the team if the AML supported the striker better. Any tips on how I can get more from my striker & AML?

And 1 last thing, on counter attacks, the ball will get to my player furthest up field with a defender closing in to his side and rather than attacking them or using their pace to get behind them, they stop and pass it backwards or sideways, allowing the defence to regather. I recently bought Lacazette, thinking it might have been a pace or dribbling/flair issue but he did the same. Is there something I can change to remedy this?

Formation & Roles:

--------------------------------------------------Sweeper Keeper

Wing Back (Support)----Central Defender (Defend)---Central Defender (Defend)---Wing Back (Support)

-----------------------------------------------------Half Back

---------------------Advanced Playmaker (Attack)-------Deep Lying Playmaker (Support)

Inside Forward (Attack) ----------------------------------------------------------------Inside forward (Support)

---------------------------------------------Advanced Forward

Mentality - Attacking

Team Shape- Fluid

Team Instructions:

Pass into space

Work Ball into Box

Play out of defence

Hit Early Crosses

Whipped Crosses

Push Higher Up

Close Down More

Higher Tempo

Be More Expressive

Usual Line up:

Lloris

Naughton

Fazio

Vertonghen

Davies

Stambouli

Eriksen

Parejo

Lamela

Ayew

Munir

Have you tried a WB (A) on the side where there is IF (S). I find that works well. (bear in mind I'm playing 4231). That WB (A) will get down the line and support the player cutting in so you can combine.

Thanks, I might try that, I had been reluctant to as I was happy with how my FB's supported the attack and was happy with how they defended too. I had played with complete wing backs attack and didn't think they supported the attack any better but were much worse in defence (that was in a 4-2-3-1 though).

While WBIB was a necessary shout last version, I'm actually finding it a disadvantage this time around. In FM14 long shots almost always went way off target or were caught and were harmless, while in this version not only do I see them get on target more often, but they also ricochet off the keeper back into dangerous areas rather than being caught every time. This lets pacey forward players get to the rebound first and tap in easy goals. This is the primary way I concede goals in FM15, as it's difficult to defend against these kind of opportunities.

Haven't gone as far as to use the "Shoot on Sight" shout, but I might experiment with it using a lot of players with good long shot ability.

While WBIB was a necessary shout last version, I'm actually finding it a disadvantage this time around. In FM14 long shots almost always went way off target or were caught and were harmless, while in this version not only do I see them get on target more often, but they also ricochet off the keeper back into dangerous areas rather than being caught every time. This lets pacey forward players get to the rebound first and tap in easy goals. This is the primary way I concede goals in FM15, as it's difficult to defend against these kind of opportunities.

Haven't gone as far as to use the "Shoot on Sight" shout, but I might experiment with it using a lot of players with good long shot ability.

I find if you want to play possession based football then WBIB works well. I use it in a 4231 without using Retain Possession and always have possession in my favour.

Archived