countering the 4-5-1

So ive played two or three saves now on each time, ive found i really struggle against a flat 4-5-1. Ive played various formations against it (4-3-3 | 4-4-1-1 | 4-4-2 | 4-1-4-1) all to no avail. I feel like ive never been dominated, but i always seem to lose out on the scoreboard and can never shut the opposition team.

Looking at my two full game saves (Rosenborg & Blackpool) ive encountered the tactic 21 times (more so in the Blackpool save, seems to be a favorite for championship sides):

Against better teams: 6 games, score 6 conceded 15 - lost 5, drew 1.

Similar teams: 12 games, scored 12 conceded 18 - lost 9, drew 2, won 1.

Lower teams: 3 games, scored 4 conceded 4, lost 1, drew 1, won 1.

Has anyone had trouble breaking down this formation? do they recommend the use of certain positions or instructions? Thanks.

Well the flatness of the 3 in midfield would suggest it would be easier to go around them, rather than play through them. So with that in mind I would be thinking of using width and a winger. The formation tends to allow more time for DM's and your center backs due to a lack of AM. So a playmaker in the DM slot would be a good choice or a ball playind defender. I would sit relatively deep and try to draw out the naturally deep nature of the flat 451. Playing a little more direct to hit the wings.

Archived