Quest for the Copa Libertadores

neilhoskins77

Football Manager 2013.

Playable Leagues :

Europe : Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales.

Africa : Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa.

Asia : Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Kuwait, Malaysia, North Korea, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam.

North America : Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, USA.

South America : Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 2012. Gran Asunción, Paraguay, South America.

In Europe, the Champions League, or European Cup as it was previously known, is contested by the super-powers of European football historically. Through the years, only the biggest clubs are perennial contenders from the biggest prize, with few exceptions. In South America, the equivalent competition is the Copa Libertadores. It's slightly different in the Libertadores. In the 20 year spell between 1992 and 2012, only two clubs have multiple Libertadores triumph's, and those two clubs are arguably two of the largest on the continent, Boca Juniors of Argentina, and Sao Paulo of Brazil. Clubs from Ecuador, Colombia and Paraguay have won the title in the last 10 years. Even a club from the minnows of Peru have reached the final in the last 15 years.

So what does it take to win a Copa Libertadores, the biggest prize in club football in South America? Well, maybe we can find out here. But it won't be easy. As is customary in my stories/saves, it starts right at the bottom. Fourth Level football in Paraguay is known as `Primera División Chilo'. It's a local League to all intents and purposes, based in the area known as `Gran Asunción', the greater metropolitan area of Paraguay's capital city. Our own little corner of this sprawling city is called `Mariano Roque Alonso'. The club is called Deportivo Humaitá, named after the country's historic city. Why did I choose this club? No particular reason at all, the clubs in the Division are much the same, though this club does wear the colours of the national team, and maybe that could garner us some support from Larissa Riquelme (google her), though unlikely as she is a Cerro Porteno fan. Our stadium, the Estadio Pioneros de Corumba Cué, is 7,000 capacity field, literally. Built in 1992, it contains not a single seat. The club has no players whatsoever at the point this story begins. The opportunity to build a team from scratch is an exciting prospect.

The aim is, as I'm sure you can work out, to pick up a Copa Libertadores. It's unlikely to be with this club of course, but this will be the starting point, and see where we're taken. Enjoy.

This looks like an interesting challenge, Neil. But this doesn't mean the end of the Darlington story, does it?

Certainly doesn't mate, will be keeping them both going. The Darlington story became a bit of an inspiration for this story, and it was going to be with a squad of age restrictions, but I think I'd have been tying my hands behind my back and playing blindfolded to try and do that haha. Hope you enjoy this one too, good to have you following as always.

Certainly doesn't mate, will be keeping them both going. The Darlington story became a bit of an inspiration for this story, and it was going to be with a squad of age restrictions, but I think I'd have been tying my hands behind my back and playing blindfolded to try and do that haha. Hope you enjoy this one too, good to have you following as always.

Good to hear. Now I'll let you crack on with what should be another cracking story.

The Chairman of the club is Paulo Cesar Pico. He has handed me a contract for just 10 months to cover this season, at £250 per week. The club are currently semi-professional. He allows a transfer budget of £100k, and a wage budget weekly of £2.85k. Expect to see a chunk of that transfer budget thrown into the wage pot. The club has a bank balance of £100,404 right now (9/1/12), so this madman has given up the whole bank account to a Welshman who doesn't speak the language. The Chairman gives me a history lesson on the club, at least, that's what my translator told me he was saying anyway. The club reached the second tier for the only time in their history by winning tier three in 1993. A stay of three years followed at that level, before relegation. Our last title of any kind was in 2001, which was the fourth tier title that we'll be competing for this season, hopefully. The Chairman concludes the meeting by asking about season objectives. His starting point is a safe mid-table spot. I enquire politely if he'd consider pushing up the budgets to accommodate a higher finish. He was surprisingly reasonable, offering £122k for transfers and £3.1k a week for wages if I guarantee a top half finish. I bite his hand off and make my excuses to head for the door. It's quite lonely at the club with just me, and pre-season is just days away. We need some players and staff, and we need them quickly!

5 days isn't a long time to build a squad, but that's exactly what we did. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of players that we were able to discuss contracts with, that being said a few of them did decide to go to other clubs higher up the pyramid. They clearly didn't understand they were turning their backs on a manager who was going to take them right to the Copa Libertadores.....hhhmmmmmm. However, there were zero occasions where a player we offered a contract to signed for another club in the same Division. Misguided possibly, but I take that as a good sign. By the time Saturday afternoon rolled around, and we got to the stadium for our opening pre-season friendly, 19 players were signed up, with contract offers in place for another 4.

Jorge Aquino will be the only Coach at the club going into the season, primarily as he's the only coach willing to join us right now. To be completely fair, he's not going to be the best Coach ever, but he doesn't appear to be totally useless, like our Physio for example. I'm pretty sure he'd give someone a paracetemol and a shot of sambuca for a hamstring strain. The media clearly weren't over-impressed with our signings. They published their promotion odds after we had played two of our four pre-season games. The top two from this sixteen team Division will be promoted automatically up to the third tier, Primera B Metropolitana. They quoted us at 40/1 to achieve one of those top two places. I was happy with the way recruitment had gone up to this point, and I think we have a considerably better chance than those odds suggest.

1/2 favourites - Benjamin Aceval

5/1 - Tembetary, Atlantida, Silvio Pettirossi, Nikkei Bellmare, Fulgencio Yegros.

With those odds in mind, it's time to meet the players who have been signed up to play for Deportivo Humaita. The squad is a pretty young and inexperienced bunch. Not a penny has been spent of the transfer budget, and we're way under the wage budget. The players arrived at different points over the pre-season. It was decided to keep the squad reasonably small, just enough depth to cover for injuries and allow some limited rotation, not so many players that there are guys sat on the sidelines with no prospect of playing at all.

GOALKEEPERS :

Christian Villalba. 19 yrs old. Goalkeeper. 6'1. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £25 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 11/1/12. Previous Clubs - Olimpia. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Gustavo Ariel del Puerto. 25 yrs old. Goalkeeper. 6'2. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £25 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Fernando de la Mora. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

DEFENDERS :

Claudio Amarilla. 23 yrs old. Central Defender. 6'4. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £50 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 26/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sportivo Luqueno. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Raul Antonio Mendez. 26 yrs old. Central Defender. 6'0. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £35 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sportivo Luqueno. Career Appearances : 1. Career Goals : 0.

Jorge Antonio Aguero. 21 yrs old. Central Defender. 6'1. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £35 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 20/1/12. Previous Clubs - Olimpia. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Evelio Chavez. 23 yrs old. Central Defender. 6'3. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £65 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 28/1/12. Previous Clubs - Guarani. Career Appearances : 5. Career Goals : 0.

Josimar Trinidad. 22 yrs old. Central Defender. 5'10. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £85 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Tacuary FBC, Free, 23/1/12. Previous Clubs - Tacuary FBC. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Nahuel Izzo. 23 yrs old. Central Defender. 6'0. Argentinian. 2 year contract, £300 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 18/1/12. Previous Clubs - Nacional. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Maximo Ortiz. 23 years old. Right Defender/Wing Back. 6'4. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £25 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Libertad, Fernando de la Mora. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Juan Angel Baez. 21 yrs old. Central Defender. 5'9. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £30 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 23/1/12. Previous Clubs - Olimpia. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

MIDFIELDERS :

Jesus Arce. 28 yrs old. Defensive/Central Midfielder. 5'10. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £25 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 11/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sportivo Trinidense. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Leandro Ariel Benegas. 23 yrs old. Right Midfielder. 5'9. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £65 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 2/2/12. Previous Clubs - Rubio Nu. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Juan Acosta. 30 yrs old. Left/Cenral Midfielder. 5'7. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £50 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 14/1/12. Previous Clubs - Guarani, Silvio Pettirossi, Tacuary FBC. Career Appearances : 66. Career Goals : 0.

Julio Cesar Cabrera. 39 yrs old. Central Midfielder. 5'9. Paraguayan. 1 year contract, £25 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Deportivo Recoleta, Sol de America, 12 de Octubre. Career Appearances : 30. Career Goals : 0.

Alejandro Riveros. 27 yrs old. Central Midfielder. 5'10. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £50 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Cerro Cora, Fernando de la Mora. Career Appearances : 3. Career Goals : 0.

Ruben Pizurno. 21 yrs old. Central Midfielder. 5'11. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £30 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Cerro Porteno. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

German Segovia. 23 yrs old. Central/Attacking Midfielder. 5'6. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £80 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Olimpia, Presidente Hayes, Cortiba FC. Career Appearances : 8. Career Goals : 0.

Derlis Ariel Arias. 29 yrs old. Central/Attacking Midfielder, Striker. 6'1. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £30 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - General Caballero ZC, General Diaz, Rubio Nu. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Jose Spaini. 22 yrs old. Left/Right Attacking Midfielder. 5'8. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £75 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 14/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sportivo Luqueno. Career Appearances : 27. Career Goals : 1.

Christian Velazquez. 27 yrs old. Right/Left/Central Attacking Midfielder. 5'7. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £140 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 18/1/12. Previous Clubs - 12 de Octubre. Career Appearances : 1. Career Goals : 0.

Robert Sales. 21 yrs old. Left/Central Attacking Midfielder. 5'11. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £100 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Huracan, Independiente. Career Appearances : 2. Career Goals : 0.

Miguel Ruiz Diaz. 22 yrs old. Central Attacking Midfielder. 6'0. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £40 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - 12 de Octubre. Career Appearances : 12. Career Goals : 0.

Kevin Raschle. 21 yrs old. Central Attacking Midfielder, Striker. 5'9. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £220 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 18/1/12. Previous Clubs - None. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

Mauro Santander. 21 yrs old. Central Attacking Midfielder. 5'5. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £35 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Nacional. Career Appearances : 1. Career Goals : 0.

STRIKERS :

Walter Larrea. 21 yrs old. Striker. 6'0. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £70 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 12/1/12. Previous Clubs - Guarani. Career Appearances : 7. Career Goals : 1.

Jose Maria Riquelme. 23 yrs old. Striker. 5'11. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £35 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sol de America. Career Appearances : 15. Career Goals : 3.

Antonio Mino. 23 yrs old. Striker. 6'0. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £50 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Tacuary FBC. Career Appearances : 8. Career Goals : 0.

Jose Feliciano Verdun. 23 yrs old. Striker. 5'10. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £100 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 18/1/12. Previous Clubs - Sport Colombia. Career Appearances : 7. Career Goals : 0.

Guillermo Vera. 22 yrs old. Striker. 5'9. Paraguayan. 2 year contract, £50 per week. Uncapped.

Signed from - Unattached 13/1/12. Previous Clubs - Tacuary FBC. Career Appearances : 0. Career Goals : 0.

So, a squad of 29, with less than 200 senior games between them, and just 5 senior goals to their names. Only 8 of the squad members are aged 25 or over, with only 2 of those reaching 30 or more. That includes the `old man' of the bunch, 39 year old Julio Cesar Cabrera. Pre-season showed there are certainly some diamonds in the rough to be excited about for this squad. The only non-Paraguayan in the squad, Nahuel Izzo, looks a particularly cool customer at the back. In midfield, Juan Acosta and Robert Sales provide a deadly duo on the left of the pitch, and at some point it will be worth trying to slot them both into the same lineup. On the other flank, Jose Spaini is already drawing admiring glances from clubs higher up the food chain. The captain will be attacking midfielder, Miguel Ruiz Diaz. Despite being just 22 years old, he has the ability to pull the strings, and is already becoming a favourite amongst his team-mates, a hatrick in pre-season certainly helping his cause there. Up front, we look pretty blessed. All of these strikers have goals in them, Walter Larrea and Jose Maria Riquelme in particular look capable of putting up big numbers at this level. The transfer budget is still intact in it's entirety, and of the £3,050 weekly that we have available to spend from the Board on wages, then we are currently only spending around 65% of that. The attendance figures in pre-season were woeful, just 97 people were at the four home friendlies combined, and average of under 25 a game in a stadium that holds 7,000. Hopefully those figures will increase once the League gets underway.

On the field, pre-season was very encouraging. 3 wins from 4 games, each of those opponents from the level above us.

Sat 14/1/12

Deportivo Humaita (3) 3 Olimpia de Ita (0) 0

Scorers : Walter Larrea (27), Miguel Ruiz Diaz (29), Antonio Mino (37)

Attendance : 16

Wed 18/1/12

Deportivo Humaita (1) 1 Presidente Hayes (1) 2

Scorers : Walter Larrea (6)

Attendance : 34

Sat 21/1/12

Deportivo Humaita (3) 5, 3'de Noviembre (0) 1

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (11, 17, 43), Jose Maria Riquelme (76, 79)

Attendance : 27

Sat 28/1/12

Deportivo Humaita (3) 3, 3'de Febrero SF (1) 1

Scorers : Walter Larrea (3), Miguel Ruiz Diaz (19, 36)

Attendance : 20

Saturday 4th February 2012

Deportivo Humaita vs. Pilcomayo

The opening day of the League season finally arrives, and we're quoted as favourites for a close game against Pilcomayo. With everyone fully fit, it's decision time as to who will lineup for the fixture. Walter Larrea and Jose Maria Riquelme get the nod to start up front, Juan Acosta beating Robert Sales to the left wing berth. The first half was cagey, as was to be expected. A few passes went astray, but nothing more than you would reasonably expect for a brand new team playing together in it's first competitive fixture. A rallying half time team talk was delivered, telling the team that a goal would put them firmly in the driving seat. And get a goal they did, Derlis Ariel Arias drifted out wide from his midfield spot and reached the byline. It looked like he'd been successfully held up, but he cut inside onto his left foot and found Riquelme, his first touch making him a yard of space on the edge of the six yard box, his second touch, a right footed low finish under the diving keeper. With just minutes left to go, Jose Spaini played a very optimistic looking through ball into the box. While the defender gave up the chase, substitute striker, Antonio Mino, certainly didn't, toe poking the ball beyond the keeper and giving us a decent enough opening day win.

`Primera Division Chilo'

Pioneros de Corumba Cue, Mariano Roque Alonso, Gran Asuncion

Deportivo Humaita (1) 2 Pilcomayo (0) 0

Scorers : Jose Maria Riquelme (47), Antonio Minto (88)

Attendance : 215

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla (Josimar Trinidad 88); Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt) (Robert Sales 74); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme (Antonio Mino 74).

Man of the Match : Nahuel Izzo (Deportivo Humaita)

The news on season ticket sales is disappointing to put it mildly, just 30 are sold for this season. The players who didn't play for the First Team on Saturday get a run out for the Reserves on the Sunday evening. That will be a theme throughout the season as we try and make sure everyone stays sharp.

Saturday 11th February 2012

Atletico Juventud vs. Deportivo Humaita

The same eleven retain their places for our next game, and our first away game of the season. The home side are given the favourites tag, but on this day, we're coupon busters all over the betting shops of the city of Asuncion, as we wipe the floor with Juventud in a performance worthy of much higher viewing than the less than a hundred souls who witnessed it. It certainly doesn't look like scoring goals will be an issue for this team during the campaign, clinical would be the word to describe them in front of goal today. Once again it's Jose Maria Riquelme who gets us underway, opening the scoring with a rising shot into the top corner after being played in by Derlis Ariel Arias. The front man played provider moments later, playing a superb reverse pass to the skipper, Miguel Ruiz Diaz, who's first shot hit the post, but he rammed home the rebound. Just after the halfway point of the half, and it was three. Superb work by Nahuel Izzo to move upfield and dispossess their striker in midfield, and the ball is sent wide to Walter Larrea. He did well to get a cross in with two markers, but that is headed to Arias. He shapes to shoot, but spots Larrea getting himself back onside, and plays him in on goal, a low finish beating the keeper. Number four came in the 32nd minute, Alejandro Riveros picking up the ball in midfield and moving further and further forward without a challenge being made. As he moves towards the box, he switches the ball to his right foot, and hits a low drive that the keeper got nowhere near. Larrea provided another cross a few minutes before the break, and this time Ruiz Diaz was in the middle, guiding his header home from close range. Juventud did get themselves on the board shortly before the hour, and it was the best goal of the game, a cross met with only a glancing header away, Olmedo watching it onto his right foot, and cracking a 20 yard volley in off the underside of the bar. Normal service was restored five minutes later, Ruiz Diaz completing his hatrick after racing onto a long ball over the top from Arias, blasting beyond the keeper with a precise low drive. Number seven was notched by Larrea with ten minutes left, the striker netting for the second time after Izzo's cross deflected off a defender and into his path. A stunning early season performance, giving the other members of the League something to think about if they thought we were going to be `also ran's' this season.

`Primera Division Chilo'

Estadio Juventud, Asuncion

Atletico Juventud (0) 1 Deportivo Humaita (5) 7

Scorers : Jose Maria Riquelme (15), Miguel Ruiz Diaz (18, 42, 64), Walter Larrea (26, 81), Alejandro Riveros (32)

Attendance : 97

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (Jesus Arce 65), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta (Robert Sales 65), Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt) (German Segovia 81); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (Deportivo Humaita)

That 7-1 victory is a new record for both the club, and the Division. Records are a bit like arms, legs, hearts and players contracts....made to be broken.

Saturday 18th February 2012

Deportivo Humaita v Benjamin Aceval

Our biggest test to date, the third game of the season sees the bookies overwhelming favourites, Benjamin Aceval, visit us. They are also unbeaten in the League so far, though they are down in third due to their goal difference. As far as the team selection is concerned, it's the same again for us, if it's not broke and all that. We go behind in the 28th minute, Chamorro crosses in from the right, Christian Villalba elects to punch it clear, but it only hits one of his own defenders. In my head, the Benny Hill theme track was playing as I watched several appalling efforts to clear the ball, before it falls to Diego David Ortiz, and he sidefoots home from close range. At half time the players were told that I expect more from them than what they have delivered so far. They respond well, nine minutes into the second half, Jose Maria Riquelme lifts the ball towards the edge of the box, Walter Larrea heads it down and Miguel Ruiz Diaz catches it on the half volley, keeping it low, and beating the keeper. From that point on, we look the most likely, creating chances, but not able to find the net again, that was until the 73rd minute. Larrea holds the ball up this time, and Antonio Mino, who had replaced Riquelme, makes his run. Larrea finds him, and Mino guides his shot beyond the keeper into the far corner. Within minutes, Larrea also needs to be replaced, having taken a knock, he's struggling to continue. We look to hold what we have, and replace him with a midfielder, working on the basis that the midfield battle can provide us with enough possession to see out the game. And it worked well, until Villalba scuffs a goal kick right into the path of Diego David Ortiz in the second minute of injury time, and the striker makes no mistake, and earns his team a point. It's a blow, but a point is still a decent result, and surely now we've shown our credentials to be taken seriously as challengers this season.

`Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (0) 2 Benjamin Aceval (1) 2

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (54), Antonio Mino (73)

Attendance : 105

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (German Segovia 79), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea (Robert Sales 79), Jose Maria Riquelme (Antonio Mino 60).

Man of the Match : David Diego Ortiz (Benjamin Aceval)

Saturday 25th February 2012

Oriental de Asuncion vs. Deportivo Humaita.

An away game against an Oriental side, perceived by many in the media to be one of the weaker teams in the League. They played the first quarter of the game in a manner befitting that status too. By that point, we were 2 goals to the good. Juan Acosta delivered a cross from the left, it deflected off a defender, and Miguel Ruiz Diaz swept home a left footed volley. The Captain really is playing at a great level, and he's lethal in front of goal. The second was farcical, as it took two defenders and the goalkeeper to crowd out Jose Maria Riquelme at the near post and prevent him from reaching Jose Spaini's cross. Unfortunately, they all got in each others way a bit, and Riquelme found the ball at his feet from all of a yard out. He'll never score an easier goal. From there, it was pretty quiet, Oriental upping their game a little, but that was only just enough to keep them in touch. They did pull a goal back in the second half, Gonzalez providing a cross, Claudio Amarilla putting in a perfectly timed tackle on Valente, but the ball rolling right to the boot of Mora, who slid the ball into the far bottom corner. We make a few changes to renew our focus, and see out another victory.

`Primera Division Chilo'

Oriental, Asuncion

Oriental de Asuncion (0) 1 Deportivo Humaita (2) 2

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (9), Jose Maria Riquelme (12)

Attendance : 95

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (German Segovia 82), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta (Jesus Arce 82), Jose Spaini (Robert Sales 72); Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Juan Maria Riquelme (Deportivo Humaita)

Striker, Guillermo Vera, is out for 2 weeks. He suffered a bruised thigh in the Reserves defeat to their counterparts from Benjamin Aceval. The transfer deadline arrives, and I'll give our Director of Football a bit of credit, he pulled out some good players for us to look at with a view to loan moves. But he either didn't get the memo, or just ignored it. As far as I'm concerned, we're not in the market right now. The squad is good enough for this level, and I don't see the point in bringing players to the club if they are not going to play. He wasn't wasting his time entirely though, some of these players will be worth looking at again if we can move up a level or two.

Saturday 3rd March 2012

Deportivo Humaita v Nikkei Bellmare

A lack of composure in front of goal costs us three points from a very winable home game. In a first half that we dominated from the off, central defender, Raul Antonio Mendez came closest to breaking the deadlock, connecting with Juan Acosta's corner kick, but his thumping header cannoned against the far upright and bounced clear. Walter Larrea showed some nifty footwork to get himself into the box and goal side of this marker, but dragged his shot inches wide of the near post, failing to even test the visiting goalkeeper. The half time team talk was more like a plea, keep doing what you're doing, and the rewards will come. Miguel Ruiz Diaz has been our dangerman so far this season, and he collected the ball from a cleared corner and set off at speed as a three on three developed. With the strikers splitting either side, he went for Larrea down the left, who in turn, curled a great ball towards with Jose Maria Riquelme on the right. Without breaking stride, Riquelme connected with a great right footed volley that struck the base of the near post. That was pretty much it for Larrea, a knock he took late in the first half forcing him off the pitch. His replacement was Antonio Mino, who managed to put the ball in the net, but the flag was raised, the striker caught coming back from an offside position. On this day, we just couldn't break the door down, and have to settle for a point. It's not the end of the world by any means, but down the stretch, it may be two costly points that we've lost.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (0) 0 Nikkei Bellmare (0) 0

Scorers : None

Attendance : 114

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea (Antonio Mino 70), Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Nahuel Izzo (Deportivo Humaita)

Primera Division Chilo - Sunday 4th March 2012
| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Benjamín Aceval      |       | 5     | 4     | 1     | 0     | 15    | 5     | +10   | 13    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Silvio Pettirossi    |       | 5     | 4     | 0     | 1     | 14    | 2     | +12   | 12    | 
| 3rd   |       | Deportivo Recoleta   |       | 5     | 4     | 0     | 1     | 8     | 5     | +3    | 12    | 
| [b][i]4th   |       | Deportivo Humaitá    |       | 5     | 3     | 2     | 0     | 13    | 4     | +9    | 11    | [/i][/b]
| 5th   |       | Sport Colonial       |       | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 2     | +4    | 10    | 
| 6th   |       | Nikkei Bellmare      |       | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 7     | 7     | 0     | 10    | 
| 7th   |       | Sportivo Ameliano    |       | 5     | 2     | 2     | 1     | 10    | 5     | +5    | 8     | 
| 8th   |       | Oriental (PAR)       |       | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 9     | 7     | +2    | 7     | 
| 9th   |       | C Atlético Juventud  |       | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 7     | 11    | -4    | 7     | 
| 10th  |       | General Caballero SF |       | 5     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 5     | 
| 11th  |       | Fulgencio Yegros     |       | 5     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 5     | 
| 12th  |       | Valois Rivarola      |       | 5     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 8     | -5    | 4     | 
| 13th  |       | Atlántida            |       | 5     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 6     | 12    | -6    | 4     | 
| 14th  |       | Tembetary            |       | 5     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 5     | 9     | -4    | 3     | 
| 15th  |       | Pilcomayo            |       | 5     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 1     | 15    | -14   | 1     | 
| 16th  |       | Deportivo Pinozá     |       | 5     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 2     | 11    | -9    | 0     | 

Saturday 10th March 2012

SC Valois Rivarola vs. Deportivo Humaita

Just 5 games into the season, and the media are now regularly describing our club as `promotion contenders' and speaking of the fans hopes that the club don't hit a bad run and sink back into mid-table obscurity. A trip to SC Valois Rivarola highlights the rise in expectations from the press, quoting us short odds favourites for a game we would have been expected to struggle with little over a month ago. As is becoming increasingly often the case, it was the first half that did the damage here. Juan Acosta got his first goal for the club in the 11th minute, hooking home a left footed volley from Jose Maria Riquelme's chip across the box. The second goal highlighted the issues Rivarola have in defence this season. Nuhuel Izzo strode into midfield and lifted a great ball over the top for Walter Larrea to run onto. The striker was pushed quite wide, and by the time he got the byline, his attempted cutback rolled harmlessly into the arms of keeper, Fernandez. For reasons best only known to himself, Fernandez then threw the ball right between his defenders, the ever alert Larrea receiving the ball back, and squaring it to Riquelme who was left with a simple sidefoot finish. Larrea got his reward with the third goal in the 26th minute, Riquelme returning the favour by clipping the ball to him on the edge of the box, and Fernandez failed spectacularly to cover himself in glory, allowing Larrea's relatively weak shot to dribble past him and complete the scoring. We didn't even look like we were trying to score in the second half, but we kept possession well and played some good football. A couple of changes late on allowed some of the substitutes a bit of League game time. I've noticed a little quirk of this particular League, two yellow cards earn you a one match suspension, so a bit of depth in the squad is certainly a good thing for later in the season.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Gregorio Sarubbi Ortiz, Asuncion

SC Valois Rivarola (0) 0 Deportivo Humaita (3) 3

Scorers : Juan Acosta (11), Jose Maria Riquelme (18), Walter Larrea (26)

Attendance : 77

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias (Jesus Arce 76), Juan Acosta (Robert Sales 76), Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt) (German Segovia 76); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Jose Maria Riquelme (Deportivo Humaita)

Six games unbeaten is another club record. Hopefully there are plenty more to come throughout the season. The first sign arrives of a player who isn't particularly happy. Striker, Guillermo Vera, comes to the office to make it known he is keen to play regular football in the First Team, and would like to move if he can't get that here. The 23 year old is told that he can have a loan move if that satisfies him. He's happy enough with that, and the problem is solved, for now at least. He's quickly followed by Jose Feliciano Verdun. He, however, doesn't want a loan move. He's told he's being disrespectful, and told to get on with his football, and he leaves it at that, but I'm sure he'll be back before too long. Even the substitutes haven't had much game time so far, so they are made available for the next Reserves fixture, a home game with Nikkei Bellmare Reserves. Midfielder, Jesus Arce, suffers a damaged elbow after falling heavily, and will miss the next 3 weeks of action. On the positive side, Robert Sales got the only goal with a wonderful curling free kick.

Saturday 17th March 2012

Deportivo Humaita vs. General Caballero SF

Back to the home stadium to face opponents in the bottom half of the table. Jesus Arce is replaced on the bench by Kevin Raschle. Once again, Miguel Ruiz Diaz is the man who opens the scoring, though I'm not convinced he knew a great deal about it. Jose Spaini twisted and turned with two markers in close attendance, before fizzing a cross into the 6 yard box. The ball appeared to literally hit Ruiz Diaz on the head and bounce into the net, though I'm sure the skipper he played it that way. While controlling the game for the most part in the remainder of the first half, we never really troubled their keeper, apart from a direct free kick from Alejandro Riveros that forced a smart low stop. It wasn't until halfway through the second half when we notched our second goal, Juan Acosta floated a cross from the left, and Walter Larrea got in front of his marker, and powered a downward header beyond the keeper. Raschle came on for his professional debut shortly after, and nearly nicked a goal right at the death, crashing a volley just wide after a corner.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (1) 2 General Caballero SF (0) 0

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (16), Walter Larrea (67)

Attendance : 124

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo (Josimar Trinidad 74), Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (Kevin Raschle 74), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta (Robert Sales 74), Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Saturday 24th March 2012

Deportivo Recoleta vs. Deportivo Humaita

Our opponents today are 4th placed Deportivo Recoleta, currently basking in the praise being heaped on them by a media, who had them written off as basement dwelling nobodies for this season. We take to the field across the city, with the lads fully prepared for what could be our toughest test of the season so far. Inspirational is a word that shouldn't be banded around too much at this level of football, but Miguel Ruiz Diaz is certainly getting close, netting his 7th goal in just our 8th game. He was tee'ed up by Jose Maria Riquelme, who isn't doing such a bad job himself, pulling the defence left with his run, then sliding the ball back to the right into Ruiz Diaz' path, his finish finding it's way into the net via the upright. Ten minutes into the second half, and a Alejandro Riveros corner from out left near the byline was glanced home from close range by central defender, Raul Antonio Mendez, his first goal for the club. That seemed to break the spirit of the home side, and we looked reasonably comfortbale for the remaining half an hour or so. Benjamin Aceval continue to win, we're now in second place, a point behind them.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Roque F.Battilana, Asuncion

Deportivo Recoleta (0) 0 Deportivo Humaita (1) 2

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (18), Raul Antonio Mendez (56)

Attendance : 98

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias (German Segovia 82), Juan Acosta (Robert Sales 82), Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Raul Antonio Mendez (Deportivo Humaita)

Christian Velazquez has twisted his ankle in the Reserves 1-1 draw with Tembetary Reserves, and will miss between 6 and 8 weeks.

Saturday 31st March 2012

Sport Colonial vs. Deportivo Humaita

Another opponent who were projected to be near the bottom of the League this season, but prior to kick off are up in 5th place. This away trip is to possibly the smallest stadium in Asuncion, it holds just 600 people. The home side take the lead, Raul Antonio Mendez makes a needless, and clumsy challenge just inside the box on Britez, who picks himself up and beats Christian Villalba with his spot kick, despite the keeper going the right way. Juan Acosta heads home an equaliser via the underside of the bar, connecting with Jose Spaini's cross, and the defender doing a pretty sub-standard job against the winger in the air. All square at the half time break, the team are given some encouragement, they are playing well, with the notable exception of Mendez, who is having a bit of a stinker. Two goals in a three minute spell just after the hour put us firmly in the driving seat. I'll have to own up to thinking that Walter Larrea was offside when Acosta squared the ball across the box, Larrea's first shot saved, the rebound steered into the corner. The Sport Colonial players were furious with the officials, and with their eye off the ball maybe, we notched again quickly, Jose Spaini delivering the ball into the box, Miguel Ruiz Diaz out-muscling the defender in the air, and heading it to Jose Maria Riquelme, who hooked a superb volley across goal and inside the far post.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Don Celestino Mongelos, Asuncion

Sport Colonial (1) 1 Deportivo Humaita (1) 3

Scorers : Juan Acosta (39), Walter Larrea (61), Jose Maria Riquelme (63)

Attendance : 144

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez (Josimar Trinidad 78), Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias (German Segovia 78), Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Saturday 7th April 2012

Deportivo Humaita vs. Tembetary

Behind Benjamin Aceval, this Tembetary side were being mentioned as one of the favourites for promotion this season, but it really hasn't worked out that way, they're languishing down in 10th before kick off for this game. If the media were still waiting for our form to dip, and us to start falling down the League, then this game won't backup their presumptions, as we give the visitors a hiding in our best performance of the season to date, and cost Ramon Rodriguez his job at Tembetary. We go in front after 5 minutes, Juan Acosta delivering the corner, and Jose Maria Riquelme stooping at the near post to head home the opener. Just over five minutes later, and a clue of the carnage to come arrives, Alejandro Riveros feeds the ball into the penalty area, and Walter Larrea collects and fires on the turn, beating the keeper and the ball just going inside the far post. Tembetary got one back in the 15th minute, Saucedo curling a fabulous free kick that went in off the underside of the bar. At that point, the game could go either way. The next goal would be crucial, and it would be ours. Jose Spaini lifted a ball into the box from the right, Riquelme flicked it on, and Walter Larrea volleyed home. Midway through the first half, and already there are four goals. With half hour on the clock, we got another. Derlis Ariel Arias assisted Claudio Amarilla in winning the ball on the edge of our own box, and setting us off on a counter attack. Riquelme was again key, moving out right to provide the width, and Larrea found him. Riquelme sends a ball towards the far post, and Alejandro Riveros arrives to strike with a low volley. A 4-1 half time lead, and one of the easier team talks of the season. 5 minutes into the second half, and we show we're still hungry for more goals. Miguel Ruiz Diaz sends a through ball into the area, Jose Spaini outpaces his marker, and curls the ball past the keeper for his first goal for the club. Riquelme nets his second, a header at the near post again, this time from a German Segovia corner kick. The prolific striker completed his hatrick in the 73rd minute, Robert Sales twisting and turning on the left, getting his cross in, and Riquelme got in between two defenders to sidefoot past the keeper. A certain amount of sloppiness can be expected, and even forgiven, in a game like this. Hobecker finds Paniagua unmarked and he slots a goal that could barely even be considered a consolation for the visitors. We finish the scoring in the 87th minute, Spaini plays the ball to Larrea just inside the box, his shot comes back off the base of the post, and hits the keeper on the back, before just sitting there, about a yard and a half from the goal-line. The quickest to react is Kevin Raschle, his pace getting him there to net his first ever professional goal and round off an astounding game.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (4) 8 Tembetary (1) 2

Scorers : Jose Maria Riquelme (5, 67, 73), Walter Larrea (11, 24), Alejandro Riveros (30), Jose Spaini (50), Kevin Raschle (87)

Attendance : 112

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias (German Segovia 45), Juan Acosta (Robert Sales 45), Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt) (Kevin Raschle 74); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Primera Division Chilo - Sunday 8th April 2012
| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Benjamín Aceval      |       | 10    | 9     | 1     | 0     | 27    | 8     | +19   | 28    | 
|[b] 2nd   |       | Deportivo Humaitá    |       | 10    | 8     | 2     | 0     | 31    | 7     | +24   | 26    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Silvio Pettirossi    |       | 10    | 7     | 2     | 1     | 23    | 6     | +17   | 23    | 
| 4th   |       | Oriental (PAR)       |       | 10    | 5     | 1     | 4     | 17    | 13    | +4    | 16    | 
| 5th   |       | Deportivo Recoleta   |       | 10    | 5     | 1     | 4     | 10    | 11    | -1    | 16    | 
| 6th   |       | Sport Colonial       |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 9     | 8     | +1    | 14    | 
| 7th   |       | Fulgencio Yegros     |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 7     | 7     | 0     | 14    | 
| 8th   |       | Nikkei Bellmare      |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 12    | 17    | -5    | 14    | 
| 9th   |       | C Atlético Juventud  |       | 10    | 4     | 1     | 5     | 12    | 18    | -6    | 13    | 
| 10th  |       | Sportivo Ameliano    |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 14    | 12    | +2    | 12    | 
| 11th  |       | General Caballero SF |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 7     | 11    | -4    | 12    | 
| 12th  |       | Tembetary            |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 12    | 20    | -8    | 11    | 
| 13th  |       | Pilcomayo            |       | 10    | 2     | 3     | 5     | 9     | 20    | -11   | 9     | 
| 14th  |       | Atlántida            |       | 10    | 2     | 2     | 6     | 13    | 21    | -8    | 8     | 
| 15th  |       | Valois Rivarola      |       | 10    | 1     | 2     | 7     | 7     | 19    | -12   | 5     | 
| 16th  |       | Deportivo Pinozá     |       | 10    | 1     | 1     | 8     | 7     | 19    | -12   | 4     | 

The win over Tembetary is a new club and League record win, and a League record for the most goals in a game. Jose Feliciano Verdun returns to the office to again air his grievance over his lack of playing time. Once again, I tell the striker he can go out on loan if he wishes, this time he accepts that, and we'll look into that for him. The reality is, that Verdun is about to slip another place down the pecking order. Benjamin Aceval striker, Diego David Ortiz, is the top scorer in the League this season, averaging almost 2 goal per game, a ridiculous stat. They are paying him just £15 per week, and he has nearly 50% of their goals. They simply can't afford to pay him anymore than that. But we can. I offer them £12k for their top striker, they didn't say no, they asked for £18k. We match that price, and then offer Ortiz a contract he simply can't so no to. His appearance fee is double what he was paid weekly. He signs on the dotted line right away, and will join in the next transfer window, giving us the best striker in the League right now to go with the two prolific strikers we already have, and giving our biggest title rivals a huge headache as their `go to guy' now prepares for a move. Genius, right? He'll join us on the 30th December on a two year contract.

Saturday 14th April 2012

Deportivo Humaita vs. Atlantida

Another club who both the media and the bookies predicted big things from this season. The media had Atlantida pegged as Champions, the bookies had them challenging for promotion. Going into this game they're in 14th place and look a troubled club, with a few of their players not happy with the current management. It might account for their lacklustre performance. Jose Maria Riquelme netted a 16th minute opener, good short passing between Juan Acosta and Walter Larrea down the right, Larrea picking out an unmarked Riquelme 15 yards out, and his first time rising shot left the keeper helpless. We should have been more than just the one goal ahead at the break, but Larrea sorted that out shortly after half time. Derlis Ariel Arias did a great job on the edge of the area, having to use his chest to deal with an awkward ball that came to him waist height, twisting to get it to Larrea, and his low shot inside the near post doubled the advantage. Five minutes later and the contest was over, Raul Antonio Mendez scoring with a thumping header from Juan Acosta's corner. It's not very often you cost two managers their job within a week, but news broke that Victor Paniagua was sacked by the Atlantida Board shortly after the game. Oh well. It's worth noting that while Benjamin Aceval won by a single goal, Diego David Ortiz had a poor game, being subbed around the hour mark. Jesus Arce will miss the next 7 to 10 days with the flu.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (1) 3 Atlantida (0) 0

Scorers : Jose Maria Riquelme (16), Walter Larrea (49), Raul Antonio Mendez (54)

Attendance : 117

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias (German Segovia 72), Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Raul Antonio Mendez (Deportivo Humaita)

Saturday 21st April 2012

Sportivo Ameliano vs. Deportivo Humaita

Another away trip, and another victory. We've won every away game so far this season. Once again, Jose Maria Riquelme opens the scoring, I doubt you'd get good odds on him as first goalscorer right now. Juan Acosta breaks up the play in the left back position, then skins his man with a blistering turn of pace. He surprised the defender by crossing early, but that cross a real pearler, inch perfect just past the penalty spot, over the defence and on to the run of Riquelme, who's header left the keeper helpless. Riquelme had a goal scrubbed off for offside 10 minutes before the break, but did get a second in first half injury time. Once again, Walter Larrea was once again the provider for his strike partner, holding the ball up, and sliding it into the box to play Riquelme into the space, where he shot across the keeper and found the far corner. The home side got one back 20 minutes into the second half to make a game of it, Medina found Morinigo, who rounded Christian Villalba before tucking the ball home. Right from kick off, we re-established our advantage, Jose Spaini broke down the right and cut the ball back, but it was behind the strikers. Juan Acosta ran onto it, and resisted the urge to shoot, finding Larrea, and he hit a snap shot past the keeper. It says plenty about our discipline that it has taken to this point to get our first suspension of the season, 12 games in. Miguel Ruiz Diaz picks up his second yellow card of the campaign, and will sit out the next game.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Jose Tomas Silva, Asuncion

Sportivo Ameliano (0) 1 Deportivo Humaita (2) 3

Scorers : Jose Maria Riquelme (9, 45+2), Walter Larrea (67)

Attendance : 78

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (German Segovia 68), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz (capt); Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Saturday 28th April 2012

Fulgencio Yegros vs. Deportivo Humaita

With the skipper suspended for this one, Kevin Raschle steps into the attacking midfield role in his place, his first senior start. Leandro Ariel Benegas comes onto the bench, the right winger is hoping for his first taste of senior football today. The home side have been touted as favourites by the media and bookies, their stingy defence has become the basis of their solid season so far, but they struggle for goals. This game was settled by a single goal, and we nicked it midway through the first half, Kevin Raschle was left unmarked when Alejandro Riveros delivered his corner, and from close range, the keeper had no chance with Raschle's powerful header. Walter Larrea missed our best opportunity to add to the total, connecting with a far post volley, but his shot went the wrong side of the post. A sturdy performance from us, holding our opponents to very few chances, and another well earned win

'Primera Division Chilo'

Fulgencio Yegros, Nemby

Fulgencio Yegros (0) 0 Deportivo Humaita (1) 1

Scorers : Kevin Raschle (22)

Attendance : 193

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros (German Segovia 78), Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini (Leandro Ariel Benegas 78); Kevin Raschle; Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Man of the Match : Alejandro Riveros (Deportivo Humaita)

Christian Velazquez resumes training following his spell in the treatment room. Another player is signed ready for next season. Edgar Fernandez is a midfielder who can also play the defensive midfielder role. The 22 year old will arrive from Primera Division outfit, Tacuary FBC, on a free transfer. He's seen very little action this season, with just a few appearances from the bench, but he looks like he'll fit into our midfield very nicely.

Saturday 5th May 2012

Deportivo Humaita vs Deportivo Pinoza

Miguel Ruiz Diaz issues a stark reminder to Kevin Raschle, or anybody else with an eye on his starting spot, as to why he's the Captain of this club. He was one of a pair of hatrick grabbers against the bottom of the table club, but not before they'd given us a big scare. It took 33 minutes to break the deadlock, in what would turn out to be a remarkable 15 minute spell at the end of the first half. Juan Acosta fed the ball to Ruiz Diaz, and he shot on the turn from the edge of the area to put us ahead. That lead lasted a matter of minutes, Christian Villalba's goal kick intended for Claudio Amarilla missed it's mark, and Orrego ran in on goal unchallenged and slotted an equaliser. It got worse, Raul Antonio Mendez not getting anything like enough on his headed clearance from Nunes cross, and Limenza was able to wander into the box, before hitting a left footed curler into the bottom corner. Almost straight from kick off, they got another, Orrego broke down the right, Mendez deflected the cross towards his own goal, and Cabanes gleefully smashed home from close range. Now we're in unchartered territory, and a big hole. Ruiz Diaz scored an important goal before the break to haul us back into it. Derlis Ariel Arias was bundled over, and while the rest of the team appealed for a penalty kick, the skipper swept the loose ball into the net. The expected furious team talk was duly delivered, and the lads really looked a different team in the second half. Within 90 seconds of the restart, we're level, Jose Spaini links with Jose Maria Riquelme down the right channel, the striker just launching an ambitious shot at goal that looped and swirled, baffling the keeper, and going in via the underside of the bar. Now there only looked one winner, and we hit the front again in the 58th minute, Alejandro Riveros robbing a defender just outside the box, fed the ball to Walter Larrea, and he curled into the far corner from 15 yards out. Less than 2 minutes later, and Larrea has another, Juan Acosta doing great work on the left with two markers company, hurdling a challenge and slinging a cross to the near post that Larrea slid across the grass to poke inside the near post. Now it was our turn to notch straight from kick off. Riquelme launched a ball into the box that Larrea headed at goal rather tamely, but the keeper spilled it, and Ruiz Diaz was on hand to sidefoot home and complete his treble. Into injury time, and Larrea also got his treble, sneaking in at the far post to head in Spaini's deep cross from the right wing. Benjamin Aceval finally drop some points, they lose by a single goal at home to Tembetary, so we're now top of the League with a game to go to reach the halfway point.

'Primera Division Chilo'

Deportivo Humaita (2) 7 Deportivo Pinoza (3) 3

Scorers : Miguel Ruiz Diaz (33, 45, 61), Jose Maria Riquelme (47), Walter Larrea (58, 59, 90+1)

Attendance : 124

Christian Villalba; Nahuel Izzo, Raul Antonio Mendez, Claudio Amarilla; Alejandro Riveros, Derlis Ariel Arias, Juan Acosta, Jose Spaini; Miguel Ruiz Diaz; Walter Larrea, Jose Maria Riquelme.

Archived