[FM14] Danilo Stankic - A Tactical Career

Fond Foat

Tactical Tweaks

Okay. I have finished my little experiment. I will return to my 4-5-1 with some slight adjustments. In the picture you can see where I want my players to move (white) and the kind of passes I want to see from them (red).

AewA8a5.jpg

Player Instructions:

SK - Distribute to defenders

DC(D) - Mark tighter

FBs(A) - Cross more often / Close down more / Get further forward

AnM - Close down more / More direct passes

BBM - Get further forward

CM - Hold position

IF - Dribble more / Sit narrower

W - Cross from Byline

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

05/04/2014 - Serbian First Division MD23

DToQGFW.jpg

Just a three day break. Put simply, if we want to get promoted, we must win games like this.

Formation:

n45fkMQ.jpg

Result

I am just going to let the game description summarize this game. It was all a bit ridiculous. A couple of goals from free kicks and then flukes and freak goals to round it all off. In the second half I went to a counter style and we looked a bit better. I also think push higher up and more direct passing suits us as well.

I will take the win, don't worry about that, but it was just a crazy game.

GrflUD8.jpg

szgqaDK.jpg

Tactical Tweaks

I think we look more comfortable with counter. I also decided to use push higher up and more direct passing. The inside forward wasn't working out, so i will try the more traditional wingers.

w94vUlx.jpg

12/04/2014 - Serbian First Division MD24

ar93u0Z.jpg

It is obviously very important to string together a couple of wins against the lower teams. I hope to see us win this one comfortably.

Formation:

IgyNZGM.jpg

Result

I have to say this was a game where I got money for nothing. I didn't do anything tactical until around the 82nd minute when I went a little defensive. It was a strange game because while watching it, I always felt we were in control though perhaps the stats suggest we weren't. The most disappointing thing was that we could not extend the lead we got from a corner even though we created some great chances. The stats show they had quite a few shots but I was not to bothered by that. They did however get a lot of corners and there were some points when I though they may get an equaliser from one of those.

So a boring old 1-0 but a very important result for us.

7YbCmPn.jpg

qTP0GFK.jpg

19/04/2014 - Serbian First Division MD25

HelQTnM.jpg

Dolina are a good team, but I was hoping to get some points because our last 5 games of the season are all against teams in the bottom third of the table!

Formation:

fUaFStH.jpg

Result

It was a very good game. Both teams were looking for a win and the football was open. I was delighted when Vukelja broke a striker drought with an excellent goal in the 30th minute but was then frustrated by the immediate reply...sigh. I was leaving the tactics alone and was rewarded when Vukelja got his second on the end of a great cross from Drogojevic. But they again equalised in the 79th minute with a lovely finish across the keeper. I had dropped into a defensive mentality after we scored our second but i should have also changed my full backs from attack to support. I went back to counter after their second but was happy to get a draw.

XVtwW35.jpg

eTZphx7.jpg

26/04/2014 - Serbian First Division MD26

lcLZ5gu.jpg

With all 5 of our final matches against teams battling around the bottom of the table, I was hoping to see some strong professional performances.

Formation:

tSVFBJX.jpg

Result

A professional display I asked for and a professional performance I got. It was an easy match to be a manager. The only change I made was asking my defensive winger to sit narrower. I was pleased that we took the chances we created; something we have been unable to do over the last few weeks. I was also extremely pleased to get 4 goals and give our goal difference a boost. It may well be a deciding factor in the promotion race.

aIWUTnA.jpg

oSPhhGH.jpg

03/05/2014 - Serbian First Division MD27

oZmz8qj.jpg

Injuries to Boskovic and Babic meant we were a little short in midfield. Playing away from home has not been easy for me this season, and there was no doubt Mladost would be keen to avoid relegation.

Fixture:

7zjYlQt.jpg

Result

An even game though we had far the better of the first half. After getting the first through some nice passing, we missed the chance to double the lead after Svonja missed a penalty. A one nil lead is never comfortable, and they made us pay in the 67th minute. I set up our roles to be more attacking whilst keeping a counter mentality, but we then had an injury in the 80th minute which left us with ten men. I still attacked and both teams had chances to win it. In the end, a draw was probably what both teams deserved.

8ahfYM3.jpg

mHVXTIz.jpg

10/05/2014 - Serbian First Division MD28

egfrzl4.jpg

Things were getting tight at the top. I really needed to make sure we performed well today and got the 3 points.

Fixture:

C5Zhn4S.jpg

Result

We started well and looked up for the game. Lekic got us of to a flyer. I switched to defensive and put both full backs on support. I felt we gained even more control over the game and it was just a matter of time until we got our second. We really should have scored another 2 or 3 before Lekic scored a brilliant goal. Three up at the half.

I switched to control for the second half. It was again a solid display and a penalty converted by Lekic ensured we had a solid 4-0 win.

BBmIlrx.jpg

M0vhVPd.jpg

2nr7Ggo.jpg

21/05/14 - Serbian First Division MD29

VUzBrqK.jpg

An important game. The top two gain automatic promotion, so I had to keep matching Teleoptik and Timok. The scheduling is strange. The last two games are played in the space of three days.

Formation:

3DcndFa.jpg

Result

It was another one of those days. We played so well, but simply could not put the ball in the net. The goal scored against us come from an untouched long range free kick that should have been easily saved. After we went behind, I tried to kept thing as per usual slowly tweaking up our aggressiveness the longer the game went, but we kept spurning chance after chance. The players looked composed according to my assistant manager even if they looked nervous in front of goals.

With the other two teams winning, it was going to take luck to miss the playoff and go straight up automatically.

k2d9Ug0.jpg

YXJn8bW.jpg

Promotion

It turns out that Teleoptik are considered a farm team for Partizan and therefore unable to get promoted. That means our third place finish is enough to gain automatic promotion, so I guess a bit of a well done lads after i yelled at them after the game :lol:

e1TXxwy.jpg

24/05/14 - Serbian First Division MD30

The last match of the season and a dead fixture. This gives me a chance to try some ideas with my tactic for next season as well as giving some other players a run. I will go into more detail about the tactic I am working on in a later post. It is still a 4-5-1 though.

Formation:

7TO317L.jpg

Result

I have to be honest and say that I left things well enough alone for the entire match. I wanted to see how the new role distribution looked. All in all I was pleased with how everything shaped up. Of course, our opponents were bottom and my team was not the best one I could field but the new tactical ethos I have been thinking about does appear to be workable. It was pleasing to see Vujaklija score a couple of goals as I do have high hopes for him.

So now I have to go about deciding who will stay and who will go!

gJ1l8Z2.jpg

a1Qn5bL.jpg

A New Tactical Philosophy

While watching the World Cup a question came to me. Is the Football Manager definition of attack, support, and defend still a realistic way to consider how players and teams go about their business? The more I considered it the more I believed that all players are in essence support players. Determining how those players go about their business is dictated by the instructions they are given. This led me to look a creating a tactic that is based on all players being focused on supporting each other and trying to consider how the instructions I give them will adjust their play.

Team instructions should also be kept to a minimum. If I set up players to use a control mentality with a balanced fluidity, why should I then ask them to be more direct or pass shorter as a unit? Surely it is more logical to ask a player in certain positions to pass as I feel is required.

With that in mind, I have been developing this tactic for my debut in the Serbian Premier League.

JusZpHt.jpg

I did give one team instruction which is stay on feet. I just don't like having players slide in while tackling. The control mentality ensures positioning on the pitch should be a little higher and passing should be a little shorter. The main consideration was in the player instructions. How did I want these players to play in coordination with their roles?

Sweeper keeper - This guy needs to support the defenders especially covering through balls. My only instruction is distribute to defenders.

Ball playing defender - I hope to see him use the ball well from the backline. I do however want him to mark tighter to ensure he does not get caught out of position too often.

Central defender cover - His role is self explanatory. There are no instructions to give him.

Wing backs - With a balanced approach, wing backs will move forward when the risk is low. I want them to do this more so I will ask them to get further forward. I do want them to put some pressure on marauding wingers so I will also ask them to close down more.

Deep lying play maker - The linchpin of a smooth transition. I will ask him to pass shorter. I do not want the DLP to get caught out of position whilst defending so I will also ask him to close down less, but to tackle harder.

Box to box midfielder left - My left sided BBM is the more conservative and defensive of the two. I will ask him the close down more, tackle harder, and pass shorter.

Box to box midfielder right - My right sided BBM will be the attacking threat. He is asked to get further forward, dribble more, and try more risky passes.

Winger - I do want to see the winger pushing up so I have asked him to push further forward. I will also ask him to aim his crosses to the center.

Defensive winger - He does not need any instructions.

Defensive forward - This player will put some pressure on the opposition defence. I do want to see him be a little more attacking so my instructions are shoot more often but i will combine that with more direct passes to give him a option.

What i like about this approach is when I want to be more defensive, I can just switch some players from support to defend. When i want to be more attacking, I can just switch some players from support to attack. The nature of a control menatality is that it can have its uses both defensively and aggressively.

09/08/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 01

Some concerns before this match. I don't feel we have the tactic as fluid as I like, I am not confident in my signings, and I am not convinced we are ready for the Super League.

I didn't do anything with my tactics until after the red card. At that point, I changed my winger from support to attack. It was not a bad opening game, but there will be some things I will work on.

MWCrS5p.jpg

(Right click and select view image to see the full size picture)

13/08/14 - Serbian Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

I wanted to do better in the cup this season. I made some adjustments to my tactic. I changed the DF(S) to a CF(S) and the BPD(D) to a DC(D). It may take a while to get a nice balance.

The game itself went well, and I did not have to make any tactical changes at all. I thing the CF role may work out in the long run.

HkxxDWz.jpg

16/08/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 02

We were battered today. The only saving grace was we didn't give them a lot of easy chances. During this match I noticed my wing backs were getting caught out of position. I decided after 40 minutes to change to FBs. I also think i will remove close down more and add mark tighter in the future. I am also thinking of switching the DLP to a pure DM and one of the BBMs to a AP.

We were always going to have some games this season where we were going to be up against it. I just hope they are few and far between.

18XLJJb.jpg

23/08/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 03

I did make the tactical changes I was thinking about. DLP(S) became DM(S), the left sided BBM became an AP(S), and I changed the 2xWBs to FBs(S). I also removed the close down more instruction from the full backs but added mark tighter. I added the team instruction of be more disciplined as well.

The game went very well for us. I liked the ball movement, but we were lucky to get the 2nd has they had a player off the pitch getting treated for an injury when we scored it. After the 2nd goal I switched to defensive and changed the DM(S) to DM(D). We saw it out very well. I am pleased to get out first win in the Super League on the board.

NeLrHp6.jpg

30/08/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 04

Not much of note before the game. I left the tactic alone and hoped we could secure back to back wins at home.

We started well and had a goal on the board from a corner on 26 minutes. We looked good again today and pretty comfortable. I removed the direct passes instruction from the DM as to many passes were going astray. We scored a second and it was a result of lovely passing from the left and through about 4 sets of feet before ending with Boskovic.

After 78 minutes I asked us to drop deeper as Napredak were pushing forward and in the 85th minute I made my DM(S) a DM(D). They did hit the woodwork once, but I felt we dealt with them very well.

WQziOsX.jpg

13/09/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 05

This was only our second away game, and I was looking for a better performance than our last. I made no tactical changes until the 83rd minute when i switched to defensive. I am pleased with the shape we kept and how defensively stable we look. The goal did come from a corner and perhaps we are not creating enough good chances. Underneath the result, I will attach a couple of pictures showing how my CF played. I would him to be more involved.

bw2zdul.jpg

hXb29tQ.jpgMRR5PYz.jpg

LZsgqKy.jpgO6YA7Mi.jpg

As can be seen, the CF is getting the ball just ahead in the AM/MC position and then passing off short. I have seen this during the games, but that has not bothered me as much as his movement. Always offside!! I asked to train him so he would beat the offside trap more often, but it does not seem to have made a lot of difference to his play. I will try run with ball more often even though my coach says he won't be able to do it.

17/09/14: Serbian Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

A game we were expected to easily win. I played a second team and they didn't look great. I did have to leave some injured players on the pitch because I needed to substitute three first team players for the next league game in three days time. I did switch from control to attack after 30 minutes and we scored. I left it hoping to get a second, but they equalized from a corner. I went back to control in the 70th minute and we just waited for penalties.

I also got told that Vujaklija has quickly learnt to run with the ball more often, so it will be interesting to see how they works on match day.

Y9C1kp8.jpg

20/09/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 06

We got off to a flyer. Vujaklija scored from the penalty spot and then got on the end of some nice ball movement to double the lead after just 14 minutes. There was no doubt Javor pressed up and played with a higher tempo after that, but I had faith in our system. We did concede in the 33rd minute from a corner and they created some more chances before the half. We started the second half well and seemed to have gained control again. They had made three early substitutions so went down to 10 men when Miloviv had to be taken off. We saw out the rest of the game comfortable and probably should have added a third. I went defensive in the 83rd to help see out the game.

aU4toUt.jpg

27/09/14: Serbian Cup First Round

I again had to rotate a lot of players due to a game in three days. Red Star had to as well, but in their end their greater squad depth showed. I didn't worry about the match that much and left the tactics alone even after we went two down in a hurry. I switched to an attacking mentality after 70 minutes.

The shock for me was that the board were deeply upset as they thought this was a competition we could win. They are a highly ambitious lot!

EZLT6KG.jpg

27/09/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 07

The first half was slightly Dolina's. They probably should have scored in the first couple of minutes. The longer the half went the better we looked. We won a penalty just on half-time but unfortuantely Vujaklija saw his shot saved. My keeper is the best penalty taker in the team, so I guess I should use him. It all went pear shaped at half-time. I decided to let the boys know they were unlucky not to be in front, but did it cautiously. This was a bad decision as the whole team got confused and switched off. Our second half performance was woeful. I switched to attack in the 74th minute also giving the W, AP, and FBR the an attack duty. We didn't look like scoring really. Our first home loss.

Nlc0Gzc.jpg

04/10/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 08

I will let the numbers tell the story. A very pleasing day at the office. I tinkered a little bit with player instructions which i will discuss in a later post. As for the match itself, I switched to standard after they scored in the 18th minute and then in the 86th minute I switched to defensive. A bit annoyed by their late goal, but still very happy that we bounced back with such a good performance. Vajaklija was excellent today and really could have had five.

jJHbGEk.jpg

18/10/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 09

Last years runners up Spartak were also second at the moment. We were equal on points with them and I knew this would be a tough test. The first half was tight early on, but Spartak looked like they were getting on top. I switched from control to standard at the 18 minute mark. There was an excellent ebb and flow to the game. At the half, I worked on talking to players individually and got a lot of positive feedback. The second half again was even, but this time we started to look the better team. At the 59th minute mark I went back to control. I felt we had a chance to win this so staggered some attacking role changes. At 69 minutes the winger went to attack, 79 minutes the FBR went to attack, and on 85 minutes the AP went to attack. I was elated when substitute left winger Lekic slotted one under the keeper in the 89th minute. I hastily dropped us back to standard, removed all the attack roles and made the DW and the DM defensive. We held on without any issues. Really pleased with the lads efforts.

Hs06nnO.jpg

Tactical Summary

I haven't messed about with the formation at all. I have also found the support duties only theory to be highly successful. The ease of changing to being more aggressive or more defensive through simply switching a players mindset rather than the teams has so far seemed to work. The picture below shows how the players have been moving on the pitch. The white arrows indicates the highest position on the pitch with the blue equaling the lowest position. The CF(S) is still the most interesting issue for me. I would like him a bit higher on average, but I guess the opposition defensive line is determining that to an extent. The work of my DM has been excellent I feel, even though he is not getting the high ratings he should. I am also very pleased with my DWs workrate. I feel the roles all fit together well at the moment.

66s3zmN.jpg

My individual training has been reasonably simple. In the general training I cycle through these three every week. Balanced, Ball Control, and Tactics. I train tactics because I think it is important to build up decision making and composure. The individual training is focused on training each player for the role they have been given. I also have them training for position if they need it, and a few players have PPMs on the go. There are one or two players I have on stamina or speed training simply because their role requires that from them and they are lacking in that area of their game. I only leave players on individual focus for a month at the most. I have the reserves and U19s training in the same way.

My match training is set to teamwork. Before away games it is changed to defensive positioning and before home games to attacking movement.

Finally, I have tweaked the player instructions a little, and I can't see any more changes for awhile.

SK: Distribute to defenders

DC Cover: None

DC: Mark tighter

FBs: Get further forward and mark tighter.

DM: Pass it shorter.

AP: Pass it shorter, close down more, and shoot more often.

BBM: Get further forward, more risky passes, dribble more.

W: Get further forward, cross aim center, close down less.

DW: Hold up ball, close down more, shoot less often.

CF: Close down less and shoot more often

I never use Opposition Instructions and I just try to choose Team Talks that replicate how I feel.

Thanks for sharing, very good read and will be interested to hear how the support duties tactic continues to evolve. Goes to show that there are very few 'rules' that must be adhered to in this game, and many ways to achieve something if the vision you have is clear!

Cheers Cellist. This save has been very enjoyable and the way this tactic is beginning to take shape is very interesting. I think a support duties only tactic reflects a team that does not rely on individuals but the team trying to work together as consistently as possible. It does mean that sometimes we don't look overly dangerous, but we are getting results.

26/10/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 10

A big test for us today. Away against Red Star. Red Star had been pretty busy with their Europa League fixtures and were in 6th position coming into the game. The game was similar early on to the Spartak match. After 25 minutes I switched to standard as Red Star were forcing us to turn over the ball too much. The rest of the half went slightly in Red Star's favour though we were still creating our own chances. The second half started well but Red Star started to push us more and more. I wouldn't say we were hanging on, but the defense was having to play at its best. I noticed that quite a lot of the Red Star players were getting more and more nervous as the match went on.

In the 70th minute I brought off Boskovic and moved Cordasic to BBM. I noticed that he seemed to get further forward than Boskovic did. In the 84th minute Red Star had two players carrying injuries and were looking pretty nervous, so I switched back to control, and changed my W(S) to W(A). I was elated to see Babic run into space that my winger left behind him and hit a perfect cross to Cordasic who had raced into the box to score the winner. Elation! An away win against Red Star. I felt we could now say we belong in the top league.

tPPzInd.jpg

01/11/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 11

I was hoping we could keep our winning streak going against 15th place OFK Beograd. It was a frustrating match as we did create some great chances. Lekic in particular could have scored a hat-trick from the wing but kept blazing the ball all over the place. I tried to slowly up the pressure on them throughout the game. I changed my W, AP, and FBR to attack over the course of the second half. I also made my DM a Regista for the last 20 minutes. The DW had a couple of chances near the end and Vujaklija had a great shot saved. A draw is better than a loss but a little disappointed we couldn't take the 3 points available.

B5nXy6M.jpg

08/11/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 12

With Tanusev coming into the team I changed my W(S) to IF(S) as he is a right footer. We didn't ever really get into this game. After going behind early it took until the second half for Tanusev to get us level. Even then, it did seem we were second best and it was no surprise when they took the lead back in the 77th minute. I went into an attacking mode but we were unable to get anything out of the game. Originally I was very upset, but I decided to tell the lads they were unlucky and reminded myself of my goals for the season. We are a mid-table team, so I shouldn't put to much pressure on ourselves.

During the week I got offered €3 million for Vujaklija. I have accepted the offer but I am not 100% sure I will sell him.

NfLNU5j.jpg

22/11/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 13

Some days you are just not meant to win. I switched from control to standard after 15 minutes. I am starting to think I should use standard away from home. It was an even affair but I felt we were shading it. We broke the deadlock from a set piece in the 31st minute. After half time I made my AP(S) an AP(A). I just wanted to see if this gave me more creativity. They then got a red card in the 55th minute. As we crossed over 70 minutes I put the AP back to (S) and made my DM(S) a DM(D). All of a sudden Vozdavac were all over us. Every time we had the ball we gave it away. I switched to defend, but they equalized. Now, I went attacking but we couldn't score despite hitting the post 2 times in the last 5 minutes. As I said, some days you are just not meant to win :)

BcyagBN.jpg

26/11/14: Serbian Super League - Match Day 14

I really wanted a win against the bottom team. We had gone 3 games without a positive result. After 10 minutes I switched to attack and we were rewarded in the 16th minute. I went back to control after 30 minutes and then went counter after 40 minutes. In the 50th minute I decided to again return to attack and Schouw scored our second. In the 80th minute I went to defend and we scored a very nice team goal in the 88th minute. A little annoyed that we conceded straight away, but it was still a solid if not brilliant performance.

1W5SFfM.jpg

Archived