Creating an all purpose set of tactics: 4-1-2-2-1, 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1

I want my tactics to be possession based, high pressing and solid defensively.

I have chosen the 4-1-2-2-1 as my "plan a", balanced philosophy and counter strategy because this is what I feel would be closest to what I aim for.

How I've set up my team, and what I want my players to do:

Kee: "Normal" GK, set to distribute to DPM.

DC(d)x2: "Normal" CDs.

FBR(a): I want my FB to get forward, hit crosses often and overlap my winger. I don't want him to run with ball often.

FBL(s): I want my FB to be a wide option on the left, passing outlet for my PMs and hit crosses from deep. I don't want him to run with ball often.

DPM(d): My main PM. I want him to distribute the ball to more advanced players and recycle possession.

APM(s): My 2nd PM. I want him to be the creator, hitting those decisive through balls and always lurking outside the box.

CM(a): I want this CM to get in the box, creating chances as well as scoring goals.

W R(s): I want my winger to hit crosses and play through balls often.

IF L(a): I want my IF to get in the box and combine with my DLF to create chances for himself and the others.

DLF(a)/(sometimes support): My main goalscorer, but also a creator. Sort of like a CF, but I like the DLF(a) role.

What I NEED help with:

- I struggle scoring goals. My team simply does not score enough goals. What changes should be made to help this?

- Against top teams the tactic does not "click". 8/10 games against top sides I get overrun (this only applies when I'm managing a top team myself. When I'm managing a lesser side, I'm actually quite happy with the performance most of the time)

What I would appreciate some help with:

- Choosing team instructions to match what I aim to do: I currently use; shorter passing, retain possession, play out of defence, drop deeper, hassle opponents. If I'm struggling to control a match; Push higher up, hassle opponents, get stuck in.

- I've not tweaked any positions (excluding keeper distribution). Should I?

- Does my roles and duties need tweaking to accomplish what I aim for?

4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 in post #2 and #3.

What side of the pitch are your two central midfielders? E.g. is the CM(A) on the left side of the central pair? I like to use a DLP in the central role insead of AP when using a counter strategy, reason being they are more naturally deeper sitting and can hit more advanced players quickly when you recover the ball that bit deeper.

What I would appreciate some help with:

- Choosing team instructions to match what I aim to do: I currently use; shorter passing, retain possession, play out of defence, drop deeper, hassle opponents. If I'm struggling to control a match; Push higher up, hassle opponents, get stuck in.

- I've not tweaked any positions (excluding keeper distribution). Should I?

- Does my roles and duties need tweaking to accomplish what I aim for?

I see you are asking your defence to drop deeper but you already have a deep formation and a deep mentality from using counter, you may well find you are pull too far deep. This is then compounded worse by hassling your opponents as in this deep block you are then asking players to pull out of position and go harry the ball carrier. You can see the problem with this as you are very close to your own goal leaving gaps that deep is sure to lead to easy opportunities for the opposition.

Playing out of defence from such a deep position, unless your defenders are gifted ball players with incredible composure, will leave you vunerable to teams who press high up the pitch, if you lose the ball that deep, again it is going to be easy chance for the opposition.

I tend to tweak roles by my strategy, so if I am playing this formation and counter strategy, like I said above I like to use one DLP in the central position the other central position tends to be dictated by the wide player I use on his side and kind of forward I use, an anchor or DLP in the DM position as they tend to press less than a regista or Defensive Midfielder.

This is how I am playing it at the moment:

296nhv8.png

The yellow lines are the thrust or forward runs and the purple are the dangerous through balls that are available, the Anchor and the DLP natural sit deeper which suit a counter attack. The false 9 has the PPM's comes deeper and looks for pass insead of scoring, he also has 20, 19 for work rate and team work, an absolute dream for assists.

Archived