Bad Day at Red Rock

mistahc

Chapter 30

“Prisoner is in cell 4 boss.”

“Thanks Mark.”

Joel Halpin’s footsteps echoed as he walked down the hall, making the inhabitants stir. He jingled the keys and unlocked the door, and beckoned for the suspect to stand up and follow him. He led him down the corridor and to an interview room, and pointed for him to sit.

“So, you were found looking into houses. Want to tell me why?”

The experienced detective looked across for an answer, and the fact this man was snooping near his own home made him even angrier. He was strangely familiar but he couldn’t work out where he knew him from.

“I didn’t do nothing; I was just trying to shelter from the sunshine”

Joel could understand that, the man was burnt to a crisp from the strong Australian rays, and looked like the many tourists he had seen over his years.

“I don’t know why you Irish insist on coming to this country, you all seem to flee your own land to go to the place with the hottest climate. You aren’t made for this weather, and our lack of ozone layer crucifies you. Now, I’ll ask you again, what were you doing when my officers saw you jump the fence?”

“Nothing, honest.”

“You weren’t avoiding the sun, so you best start telling me.”

“You know my brother got put away for something he didn’t do.”

“Oh yeah, what he was that?”

“He didn’t get away quick enough.”

“Are you going to tell me what you were doing?”

The man shrugged and stayed silent so Joel considered the facts and evidence; and he had nothing. He had no tools for burglary or any stolen property on him, and was not caught in the act of doing anything other than peering through the window. He looked at the man and tried to guess if he was casing the house for the future or a peeping Tom. He had a unit keeping watch as it was, so the area was safe enough. He decided to put the man back in his cell and hold him for as long as possible to let me think about whatever it was he had done or was doing, so led him back before heading back to his desk for the paperwork. His phone flashed to indicate he had a voicemail, so he quickly played it.

“Joel, Commissioner Hughes speaking; Judge Emmet has been on the phone again about the lack of progress on his daughter’s murder. I don’t need to tell you that you need to get a result here soon; it’s making me look bad. You told me weeks ago you were following leads, you’ve got until the end of the week or I’m sending you out to fact-find how they combat the murder rate in Ciudad Jaurez, Mexico.”

Joel sighed deeply and knew that was a realistic threat as it was the only way he could be got to; demotion would still see him get his full pension so the only peril he had was death. He had his suspect, but it was not a path that he wanted to go down as it also meant treading on dangerous ground. He bit the bullet and made the call.

“Hello?”

“Kyle, its Joel. I’ve got a problem.”

“What sort?”

“Remember that council girl that got stabbed? I need a head, and we both know it was one of your employee’s that did it. Can I bring them in?”

Kyle laughed at the absurdity.

“Ah mate, to be fair their work is almost done so I could let them go in a few weeks. I won’t need them then.”

“I need to make an arrest today.”

“No can do, sorry Joel.”

“Kyle, I really don’t want to do this but I am going to have to insist.”

“It’s still a no; I need him until after the Grand Final. You can have him after that if you need him, I don’t care.”

“You leave me in a difficult situation.”

“Find yourself someone else. Hang on mate; I just thought of something that solves both our problems.”

A few minutes later Joel got the team together and headed out the door to make an arrest.

Mark Mirco was sitting in his car when the van pulled up to frighten the life out of him. The senior copper came up to his window and he peered out.

“Is he inside?”

Mark nodded and watched as the police went to the door and knocked; as it opened they disappeared in.

“Joel, what’s going on?”

“Sam, sit down and shut up. Gustavo Aveldano, I am arresting you for the murder of Hayley Emmet. You are not obliged to say or do anything unless you wish to do so, but whatever you say or do may be used in evidence. Do you understand?”

“Who?”

Gus looked shocked as he was lead out of the house, desperately looking for Sam to help him. His friend followed and asked Mark to tail the van, and he waited for hours until Joel would let him see Gus.

“Interview room 2, you’ve got 5 minutes.”

Sam ran in and sat opposite his friend, who looked a teary mess.

“What have they arrested you for?”

“You tell me! They’ve been saying for hours I killed that girl and are trying to make me confess. They have been showing me horrible pictures and say my DNA was at the scene, that they have witnesses, and that her blood is on my clothes. I never even met the girl, you have to help me. I need you to tell them what happened that night. I’ve told them that I was with Erin but she has refused and said she wasn’t, and I don’t know why.”

Sam sat back and knew he had to admit what he did.

“Joel; I need to confess something important.”

Minutes the video was recording.

“Sam, I need to advise you to get a lawyer.”

“I don’t need one.”

“Okay, will you tell me what happened on the night of the 25th October 2012?”

“I can’t really explain it. I got home, Helena was giving me grief and I just had to get out of there as I was so angry and emotional. I ran round the block to try and get my mind clear. I just had this insatiable urge. You know what I mean?”

Gus nodded as if to back this up. He didn’t have a clue what possessed him to do it, but hoped it would become clear.

“So I just ran and ran and the feeling just got stronger. I went faster and find myself shattered and had to stop for a breather. That was when I found myself outside her house.”

“Go on.”

Sam took a swig of his water as he continued his confession.

“I don’t know what made me go to the window and look in. But I saw her there, naked, and I got turned on. I don’t really want to go into what happened next.”

“Please, you must.”

“Well I got excited, if you know what I mean. To be fair I haven’t had sex in 6 months, and I was watching her in the nude and I just wanted her so badly. I couldn’t take my eyes off her, and it turned me on knowing she couldn’t see me. I just couldn’t help myself.”

“And then?”

“Well it was raining so I didn’t think anyone was out and about. I was sure no-one could see me, so thought there was no harm in submitting to my urges. So I did it, and then Gus saw me.”

“How do you feel?”

“Embarrassed.”

“So you should. I mean… what?”

He stopped as he wiped a tear from his eye, and began addressing Gus.

“You won’t tell anyone will you?”

“Why would I?”

“I mean it.”

“Why would I tell anyone that I caught my mate ******* over me shagging a Chiquita.”

“I didn’t know you were there at first, I promise! I just started playing with myself watching her dance as she’s so bewitching. I was near to coming when she moved and I saw you behind her. I was so shocked I slipped as I ducked and got my clothes all dirty in the mud as I fell over. I didn’t think that you saw me.”

“Well I did.”

“That’s not the worst bit.”

“What is then?”

“I was near the money shot when she moved so technically, I might have come over your face.”

“Oh you sick ****.”

They all sat in silence for a bit, and Joel looked deep in thought. Suddenly Sam spoke up.

“So hold on, how can there be evidence against him if he didn’t do it?”

Joel leant forward and turned the tape off and walked out, wondering what the charges for falsifying evidence actually were and if he was up to jail time. It was too late to pin it on someone else; he’d just created a suspect that now had an alibi. He could only really stick with his Gus as the killer and discredit Sam’s testimony or try and put Gus at the scene later? He cursed Kyle for not telling him that Erin was with him, and needed time and space to think.

“Don’t let him go; I need to verify his alibi. I’ll be back.”

He drove to the Murphy house to speak to Erin but no-one answered, so he drove to his favourite secluded thinking spot by the Telegraph Station and sat on the grass. After pondering his options, he pulled out his revolver and put it in his mouth and closed his eyes as tears ran down his cheeks.

Sam couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t release him, but had to take the team to Sydney to play bottom side Wanderers FC. It was then it was easier to stay for the game against Newcastle a week later and train up there, which gave him further much needed time away from the town that was beginning to feel monotonous in its size and weather. He sometimes wondered if he had died that day and his life now was actually his own personal hell, but dismissed the idea as if that was the case then surely his side would be propping up the table and not proudly on its summit.

Two solid wins saw them pick up maximum points, and also set them up in the history books for most ever points and goals. Sam received an email with a final reminder for the Player of the Season, which he promptly deleted with no action. As much as he despised Jordan, he always wanted his players to win awards. It felt like an assist to him, and as a defender in his playing days he was more used to the contribution than revelling in the goal scoring glory.

24.03.13 – League – Wanderers FC (A) – W2-0 – Darby, Franken

31.03.13 – League – Newcastle United Jets (A) – W1-0 - Murphy

Chapter 31

Constable Mark Reynolds sipped his takeaway coffee as he walked into work and greeted the desk officer as he made his way to his desk. He noticed a hunched figure leaning over Joel’s desk, trying to get into the drawer.

“Boss, you’re back!”

The man turned round, and it instead was an equally round and elder gentleman.

“Excuse me?”

“Who are you? Where’s Joel?”

“Senior Sargent Tristian Taylor, from Darwin. Sargent Halpin is still up at headquarters seeing the commissioner. I’m here to sort out the Emmet case as I am not an incompetent fool, or worse corrupt. I reckon your old boss got his badge out a cornflakes packet and I’m going to bring a bit of Darwin efficiency to this shambles. Can you tell me where I can find Kyle Murphy? In woop woop’s like this, if you want to get to the bottom of anything you just need to follow the money.”

Elsewhere Joel was sitting patiently in his suit waiting to be seen, not allowed to wear his uniform as he was suspended. He swallowed and ran his tongue over his teeth, unable to shift the taste of the metallic of his gun. He wanted to do it; he just didn’t have the courage to pull the trigger. He couldn’t understand why they called it the coward’s way out when it terrified him to squeeze his finger to instantly end his problems. He lied to himself that it was so that Kelly wouldn’t be alone; unaware of where he had hidden the money and the new house he was having built out on the coast ready for his retirement.

“Mr Halpin, Commissioner Hughes will see you now.”

Joel stood up and headed in, annoyed that they dropped his title before the hearing was even complete. Innocent until proven guilty didn’t seem to apply internally; the fact he was guilty was irrelevant as they didn’t know that.

“Joel, take a seat. You’re on a sticky wicket here mate. It’s not just your walking papers on the line, it’s some serious time in the nick.”

The ashamed copper did so, and looked at the panel opposite him of three senior officers from different forces. It seemed they were taking the charges on falsifying evidence very seriously.

“So Joel, can you explain how the suspect you pulled in on solid evidence mysteriously had an alibi? Or how witness reports and DNA results suddenly materialised for this poor man? We very nearly sent a high profile innocent bloke to jail.”

The subject of their interrogation scratched his nose and breathed deeply, the irony that the only reason he did it was because of the pressure to get results. He wanted to ask them what they expected their investigating officers did when asked to magic up a suspect, and guessed it was probably his getting caught that was the real problem.

“It’s a catalogue of simple mistakes; the suspect is a well-known playboy and his DNA was in her house as he had been there in the past, like with most other women in the area. The blood we found on his clothes was likely menstruation, and the witness reports unreliable due to the bad weather that night. You see, his DNA didn’t come up on the original investigation as it wasn’t on file as he’s new to the area. I only found him by chance as the witness that came to me put him in the frame which then led me down the wrong path. I actually now suspect the witness to be diverting attention from himself, so will be following that line of enquiries on my return to work.”

Commissioner Hughes face twitched twice and it looked like his big moustache was trying to communicate.

“Fair enough, that’s plausible. G’donya Sargent Halpin; I’ll file the report and call Judge Emmet now and explain. You get back down South; I don’t need to remind you to get a result on this one do I?”

“No Sir.”

“Right chaps; let’s call this a day and go for a ten ounce sandwich eh?”

The newly re-crowned Senior Sargent Halpin smirked as he left the office, thankful that after a good night’s sleep he could think of a way out of the mess he found himself in. As he shut the door he listened in quickly, before walked away sharply and celebrated his relief. He made the mental decision that he would file for early retirement as soon as possible.

“You don’t believe that **** do ya Frank?”

“Who gives a ****? It’s good enough to get Emmet off my back about it. He’s the only man willing to live in that ****-hole on earth and deal with the bludgers, goon ninja’s and petrol sniffers. His blood’s worth bottling that bloke, and not sure what I want to do when he retires. Tristan’s only been there a few days and he’s gone walkabout, it takes a special man to control a town like Alice.”

Back in Sydney, Sam and the squad waited for the arrival of the rest of the club staff for the end of year awards ceremony. Sam was a majorly relieved to see Gus walk out with them at the airport. The two friends hugged tightly to sniggers from the players unaware of the strength of the bond between the two hombres. There may have still be two crucial games to play until the end of the season but there was evidence of the strain showing. The Babic brothers were both beginning to get frustrated with the absence of any first team football and handed in transfer requests, and the foreign players were refusing to sign new contracts until Sam committed on his own future. Kyle didn’t seemed focused on renewing anyone so on the way to the Hilton Sam pushed it.

“So, great season eh? And you thought it was going to be difficult. What’s my contract again? A bonus of $100K for each place above bottom? I make that $900K you owe me. I don’t expect that next year, but guess we can do something on Champions League success? A lot of contracts are up soon, and we should start thinking about next season”

Kyle was distant, and seemed to be watching the chemistry as his daughter and Gus smiled at each other.

“Yeah, you are a born Football Manager alright, you breath success. ”

“So, about that new contract?”

“I thought you only wanted to stay for a year? Have you spoke to Helen about staying in Alice Springs for longer?”

The way that Kyle said it and the look he gave him suggested he knew they were taking a break, and he wondered why that if he knew so much, why he struggled to get her name right. He suspected it was his employee that he was interested in. Kyle didn’t seem interested in hearing an answer and went back to staring at his daughter and Gus talking, and Sam tried to push again. In his mind he didn’t want to stay in the town, but wanted the security of the contract in case the Manchester group did buy the club. As a free agent he could be released without compensation, and a hefty contract would mean a heavy pay-out.

“I’d quite like a five year deal if possible, with a big basic? I’m not worried about bonuses.”

“Hum? Yeah, sounds okay. We’ll talk about it soon.”

Kyle’s mind did not seem to be on the future of the club, but at the awards he became a changed man and as usual naturally gravitated to the centre of attention. A hushed tone hit the big conference room as the Chairman of the FFA took the stage.

“It’s been a great season, and the Football Federation of Australia are delighted you can join us for our yearly award bash to acknowledge those who have contributed. Firstly, I would like to congratulate the newly-formed Red Rock Thunder for a winning debut in their inaugural season in the A-League. Quite a surprise and a real Bobby Dazler that one and I hope the winner of the Grand Final does us proud in the Asian Champions League, after Brissie Roar’s disappointment at the group stages for the last two years. Our six top teams complete for title of Grand Final winners over the next few weeks, and the Thunder are favourites to complete the double.”

“Abso-bloody- lutley!”

“So let’s kick off; first we with have the Top Scorer Golden Boot award. Now we’ve seen this lad wearing his golden footie boots in matches, so this trophy is just an addition. Zak Holt and Leon Noble got twelve apiece in joint third. Joint second was Eddie Greytone and Jimmy Gatt with thirteen, but the clear stand-out winner with twenty-one was Jordan Murphy!”

The crowd applauded as he took to the stage, and he took his time to milk it so it was half-hearted by the time he finally made it. Jordan blew a kiss and winked to the TV camera, and then held the trophy aloft to the muted crowd. As he took his seat, the ceremony continued.

“I’m now going to show you a short VT of the contenders for the goals of the season.”

The lights dimmed, and on a big screen ten goals were shown which to Sam’s pride had six from his team. They included Jordan Murphy’s solo run against Melbourne Heart, one of Eddie’s to finish a great team goal in which he was heavily involved and the Kees Ragas goal against Newcastle Jets. Jordan’s goal won, and once again he took to the stage to mild applause and he did his goal salute for the camera.

“Now, Young Player of the Year. The Thunder had many contenders but some were not counted as they were entered into player of the year instead. There could be only one winner though, step up Leon Noble of Melbourne Heart. Leon had a great season and scored twelve in just seventeen games, great stuff.”

The crowd showed their appreciation to the quiet teenager and he collected his award which Sam knew would have gone to Luke Mirco if he had played all season.

“Onto Goalkeeper of the Year. Now Rodrigo D’Angelo of Adelaide was third after his great season. Melbourne Victory’s Shane Wilson came extremely close to taking the award but in the end had to settle for second place. The winner had a solid year, and is the 35 year old veteran Cesar Ortiz of Red Rock Thunder.”

The Paraguayuan still could not speak English but heard his name and looked to Gus for confirmation before collecting his award with pride.

“It’s the A-League All-Star X1, and please can the following take the stage. Shane Wilson and Jamie Pilkington of Melbourne Victory, Peter van Gameren, Luke Kelly, Rickie Kelly, and Daniel Mackie of Sydney FC, Rudi Sasse of Brisbane Roar, Jimmy Gatt of Adelaide United, and Josh Hall of Melbourne Heart, and Jordan Murphy of Red Rock Thunder.”

They all stood and waved to tremendous applause, and Jordan jostled to be out in the front.

“And now can Cesar Ortiz and Pablo Caro join us? And can Rudi and Shane leave the stage? Thanks. So please give it up for the PFA Team of the Season. Well done boys, great recognition from your fellow professionals.”

Again Jordan tried to hog the lime-light and saluted to the TV camera.

“The winner of the Foreign Player of the Year award is Zak Holt.”

Sam clapped that one with gusto and waved at his former Liverpool team-mate.

“The winner for Manager of the Year was confirmed as soon as this man led his team of inexperienced young players to a shock title win. Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for Mr Sam Heywood of Red Rock Thunder.”

Sam felt the pride as he collected his award, as glowed with the show of appreciation from the room. He noticed Dean Smith of Brisbane Roar sat with his arms folded, and clearly had not forgiven him for riling him earlier in the season.

“And now the big one; the Player of the Year. Let’s watch a short film of the contenders in action.”

The crowd watched the montage and you could gauge from the audience reaction that the clear favourite was the Australian Captain Luke Kelly. Jordan didn’t seem to notice his name was not cheered as loudly as the rest as he was too busy watching the celluloid version of himself on the big screen. If Sam was honest with himself he knew the defender was outstanding all season and had taken home a lion’s share of the player of the match awards, but his choice was still Eddie for his attitude and teamwork. The host continued his words as the clip ended.

“I’m sure you’ll agree that there has been some great players on display this year. Our winner was a clear stand-out in the voting and is……. Luke Kelly.”

Jordan was half out of his seat, and sat back down with disgust as the Australian hero went up to great acclaim.

“Oh that’s ****ing bollocks eh dad?”

“Don’t worry son, it’s because he’s in the twilight of his career and retiring I bet. You’ve still cleaned up tonight.”

“Finally we felt at the FFA that a brilliant new talent deserved recognition for his emergence this season, so we have created a special award for him. This player put on some dazzling displays over the season, sometimes single-handedly carrying his team to the title.”

Jordan’s face lit up and he began to smile as the praise continued.

“We’ve seen a special goal earlier which summed up his importance to the team, and we really have high hopes for his future. We expect a big move abroad soon and for him to cement a place in the national side. Best of all, he’s so young that we expect him to break all the records and be the best player the country has ever produced. Ladies and gentlemen, it is a great honour to recognise this young buy so please put your hands together for the future of Australian Football…….”

Jordan stood up.

“……. and the winner of the Ned Greystone award for Outstanding Indigenous Australians in Football; Eddie Greystone.”

Jordan stood open mouthed as the room exploded with unanimous approval. He looked to his father who looked puzzled, and over at his manager congratulating a shell-shocked Eddie and pushing him up onto the stage.

“What the **** is that all about Dad? I’m the future of Australian football not the Tall Black! I should have won that award!”

“Don’t worry son, it’s just some propaganda bollocks to show the FFA are about equality. Perhaps there is a special award coming next.”

Eddie looked overwhelmed and humble on the stage, and fought back the tears.

“To win a trophy that honours not just me and my Granddad, but my people too is a great honour. I believe that we are finally getting to a day where people will not be judged on the colour of their skin, but the content of their character or skills with a football. I speak not for myself today but for those without a voice, who deserve their right to live in peace with dignity and a right to equality and education. I accept this award on behalf of every Australian, white or black. Thank you.”

The room filled with thunderous applause and he quietly retook his seat next to his manager.

“Nice ones Eddie, did you make that up?”

“Nah, I stole most of it from the internet.”

“Good man, touching all the same.”

Once back in Alice Springs Kyle arranged a club version of the awards to be attended by the town and local news, and a delighted Jordan cleaned up. They also created a video montage to celebrate the season, mostly showcasing Jordan’s talents, goals and his solo celebration at the league win. But for comedy value it also showed the touchline punch-up with Brisbane Roar as they met them in the semi of the Grand Final Series, and showed Eddie missing an easy chance which was actually a cleverly edited version of a pass for Jordan which he didn’t run for.

Contract issues were also resolved with Sam getting a 3 year deal, which then led to the imported players staying on too. If they were successful in the final series, all of the players were eager to give the Asian Champions league a go. Brisbane Roar were the next opponents, having beaten Central Coast Mariners in the qualifying stage. Eddie was fit for the game at Traeger Park, and the home advantage showed and despite a tough fight, Jordan and Eddie both scored again either side of a Danny Franken header. The season finale loomed close.

14.4.2013 – Final Series Semi Final (H) – W3-1 Murphy, Franken, Greystone

Chapter 32

Madge stared lustily at the group of young men huddled together in a group, her mouth watering with saliva in anticipation. She was eyeing them up looking for the best provider for her babies, and her targets looked ripe for the taking. She stared at the skin on display gleaming with sweat in the hot sunshine, and edged closer to make her move unnoticed. As she circled she looked for signs of other women making their mark and breathed in their scent, savouring every compound of the body odour. One in particular smelled the sweetest so she hung around as he spoke to the others with authority.

“This is it, what we’ve all been working for over the past seven months. The Grand Final; one last game and if we win immortality beckons.”

Sam was addressing his players and staff at the last training session, and he thought of the first training session he took. Some of the attitude and division was still there, but the players fitness level and tactical understanding was sublime. A mosquito buzzed in his ear and he flung a hand instinctively as it sounded like a jet engine due to its proximity to his ear drum.

“Right, in pre-season we had a 5-a-side match and I want to recreate it for posterities sake. Cesar, Ariel, Kees, Eddie with me again, Gus will manage us. Jordan, I’ll let you pick your own side again.”

“Almost the same team for me too Fat Franco in goal, Scott and Danny at the back, but Luke in midfield. Sorry Amaury, but he’s class.”

This time round it was a far closer game, eventually won by the younger players superb fitness levels and Luke’s skill with the ball showing the aging Sam was clearly off the pace. At the final it was good natured hand-shakes with just Jordan showing cockiness at the result. Regardless Sam was happy with the amazing turnaround in the seven months of the season, and he was eagerly anticipating the final just a few days later.

Madge grew bored of waiting for her chance to sink her teeth into her target, so went off to look elsewhere. The need to feed her babies was strong, and she needed a healthy and rich provider. She left the training ground and headed for the next target and when passing a window saw another prime candidate. She stared at the man, while he addressed his eager audience.

“This is it, what we’ve all been working for over the past seven months. The grand finale; just a few more pieces to fit into the puzzle then unbelievable wealth beckons.”

Kyle was addressing his key staff in his boardroom, and he thought back to all the business moves and brutal actions he had made to get to this stage. He looked at his most trusted employees in front of him, and smirked that they were aware of only their parts in the over-all scheme until now.

“Erin, I don’t want your mother to get her hands on any money from this when I leave the bitch so this needs to play smart. Now I am gifting you ownership of the football club, and once we win the Grand Final the club franchise will be sold to the Manchester Consortium and Jordan gets his big move to England as part of the deal along with a boat-load of cash, which you will then invest with shares in my new company in Switzerland once I’m divorced.”

His daughter meekly nodded in agreement and stared at the floor as new and confusing details were revealed.

“Now we’ve exhausted the local mines of all the Uranium and Gold which we’ll keep hidden away, so I’ll then declare bankruptcy. And this point Max will buy them for nothing from the creditors, and then discover they appear to be still full of Gold which will just be the first section. We’ll then sell the mines and the minerals m to the highest bidder and invest the money into the new company. And then we are all rich, very ****ing rich. You bloody ripper!”

Beside him Shane broke into a grin, and Dr Geiger rubbed his hands together. Only Joel and Erin were quiet and looked solemn, their once selfish drive for money not rewarding them inside.

“And Shane, your job will to tidy up the loose ends.”

Joel’s eyes lifted at the comment, knowing that his job would then likely be covering up the expected disappearances.

“I love it when a plan comes together, no more Alice Springs, no more Camel-face who won’t get a cent, and nothing but beautiful Sheila’s with massive tits to hang around with. Oh sorry love.”

Erin looked at her father and smiled weakly, missing the man he forbade her to even see.

“Whatever makes you happy Daddy.”

“Right, so we all know what we doing. Let’s get on with it.”

Once the other three left he turned to his bodyguard.

“Shane I’ll give you the names when I’m ready, you know what to do. Not the Argentinian though, I want to deal with that one myself.”

Shane nodded and wondered how many names were on it, planning on out-sourcing some of it. Suddenly something caught his eye at the window and he jerked his head towards it. Seeing nothing he gazed out to the world outside and planned his next moves.

Madge had left just in time and was now heading out of town still in her search of a suitable provider, sensing a suitable target was close. Heading out into isolation she found a remote house where she found a man dozed idle in the heat, the furnace by added by the boredom and odium. Madge snuck in and edged closer and caught the hint of the sweetness on his breath. The man was not from the area and that enticed her more, and she watched him puff heavily in his sleep she quietly delighted in finally finding the jackpot. She gently sat on him and stroked his skin, softly kissing and caressing him to ready him for their encounter as she searched for his engorged vein. Her saliva glands were called into action as she took him in her mouth, the spittle lubricating the deed as to not wake him. The man felt something as his fluids were silently drained, groaning as he stirred as she milked his warmth. Madge realised she was filled to the brim as she began to drip everywhere, and guessed that the man had not be emptied for months. She felt heavy with his protein and was full so pushed off heavily and lazily. The man moaned again and sleepily moved his hand to the scene of the crime and felt the swelling with confusion, waking with the sudden realisation.

“You bitch! Where are you and I’ll fecking kill ya.”

“Shut up I’m trying to sleep.

Seamus looked over at his friend and wiped off his forehead as he got up in a huff.

“For feck’s sake it hot. I’ve got to change my shirt; and I’m still sweating like a ****. I’m fed up with this; I want to be out doing stuff not stuck here like your man in that film where he’s stuck in the house?”

“Misery?”

“I’m not, I’m just bored.”

“Have some patience.”

“It’s like a sauna; I’m cooking in the heat. I need to get outside, it’s driving me mad.”

His companion sat up from his bed, annoyed that his request for peace had gone unheaded.

“What happened the last time you went out eh? You got picked up you muppet! Have some patience, we’ve been told to sit tight until the football season was over. The big boss flew us in unnoticed and we’ll need him to get out again. Just ****ing relax.”

“It’s like being in prison, I can’t stand it Shaun.”

“Chill! You are a free man; it’s nothing like being in a cell.”

Seamus looked around him at the basic room and agreed, prison had better facilities. He looked around for things he could rig up with pea-sized bits of semtex to blow up, but he had destroyed almost everything that wasn’t needed and Shaun had not forgiven him for leaving with them just two cups and plates. He knew their man mountain of a host would not be pleased either when he found out either, but he reckoned he could take him down if it came down to it.

“Bored, bored, bored. I’ve got cabin fever, and I’m itching to blow something up.”

As he said the words he scratched the newly fresh mosquito bite.

“What is it with you and bombs? Have you ever killed anyone face to face?”

“Nah, always from distance.”

“It takes real balls to kill someone up close.”

“I’ve killed more people than you have had hot dinners sunshine, you haven’t even left this house and I’ve got 9 kills already since we’ve been here.”

“Yeah that Goldmine was intense! That cave-in was huge and they still don’t know it was a bomb that caused it. Good work.”

Seamus grinned with pride. He missed watching the coverage on the daily news; craving his daily fix of violence. Shaun looked at the maniac expression on his face as he drifted off and it looked almost sexual and he recognised it from his brother, and guessed that the pair had bonded over their mutual love of inflicting pain and misery on others. He knew his brother was different when they were kids, and he protected him from anyone finding out about his evilness.

He was not built like that himself; he was a cold and calculating businessman who just crossed the line when he had to and didn’t gain pleasure from it in the same way. His drive was power and one of making money and success, and was only here to revenge his brother who had lost his life when trying to get him out of jail. He was loyal and believed in repaying the life-debt to Danny; an eye for eye. It helped that he also owed Sam a little something for getting him arrested in the first place. He glanced again at the cover of the magazine he was reading, and wondered if the businessman on the cover ever had to cross the line to get ahead.

“Reckon this Kyle Murphy fella would ever have the balls to make the difficult decisions in business? I mean he’d have to make different decisions in business, but would he choose to ever get rid of problems our way?”

The Irishman wondered why Shaun kept going on about balls, and wondered if the time without female contact was making him fruity. He kept a safe distance as he looked at the man in his suit all prim and proper.

“Nah, he looks like a right poof.”

“If I was born to a different family I wonder how I would have turned out, I could have been like this geezer. Only more successful as I would have the mucho cohunes to do the dirty to get ahead; it’s all about opportunities innit.”

He was holding his hands up to illustrate his point and wondered why his roommate was looking at him oddly. Both of them jumped when the phone suddenly rang, and Seamus answered it and the gleam was back in his eye. Shaun knew that the waiting was over and that they had been given the green light to get their bonus payment for the recent job. As much as he loved the planning part of his revenge, it was a relief to be finally leaving the house to get the first step underway. He picked up a ceramic cup and filled it with water and cursed as it sprung a leak on his shirt and he looked at the small hole blown into it and breathed heavily through his nose. The mad Irishman was a liability and he’d be glad to see the back of him. This was what they’d been waiting for over the past seven weeks since arriving in the God-Forsaken town.

Madge sat weary in the corner in her post-coital tristesse, glad she had not been spotted. She saw a chance to escape unnoticed and headed for an escape route. Something sweet caught her attention and she followed it to some honey and couldn’t resist. She just wanted a small taste but as she touched the nectar she heard the faint click on a pressure switch and the explosion tore her and her babies apart.

“Got you, you ****ing bitch.”

Seamus looked pleased with himself that the mosquito was no more. The tiny explosion was not heard across town, where Kyle was on the phone to the FFA and convinced them not to move the final. So a few days later Traeger Park was crammed to the rafters with 10,000 people waiting for the match to start. TV cameras were all around, and panned in on the excitement. The pre-match entertainer was trying to raise the levels to fever pitch as the singer finished his song before waving to the crowd.

“And that was Rolf Harris singing two little boys. He’s kindly set up a kissing booth in the carpark, kids kiss for free. Right it’s a blistering hot day and I know you fan are praying for a breeze, so here’s referee Mark Breeze to inspect the pitch. Right now the managers are finalising their line-ups and delivering their pep-talks so this is your last chance for a trip to the dunny or the bar before kick-office. Someone grab me a cold one will ya?”

With no injury concerns, Sam’s team was his first choice. Ironically of all of the sides in the A-League, Adelaide United had taken the most points of them so could be considered a bogey team. The record was 2-2, 3-3, and 3-2, so the opposition had a habit of scoring against them. They didn’t need much motivating but he gave it a go anyway.

“A year ago what were you doing? Stretch, what were you doing?”

“Playing amateur football and working in a bar and spending my time trying to get into tourists knickers.”

“And now look at you, a professional footballer about to captain the team in a Grand Final”

”Yep, but one who spends his evenings still trying to get into girls knickers.”

The boys laughed but got his point.

“Last year you were nobodies, but today you are heroes. And you know what? The opposition are scared of you. Why? Because you have nothing to lose, but they do. You know this pitch, you know this ground, you know the way that the ball bounces on that bald patch.”

“What, on Stretches head?”

“Whatever happens out there today you have something to be proud of. The nation is watching, and so are the big clubs. Some of you could launch your careers into the big time today, and you wouldn’t have thought that a year ago.”

“Boss?”

“Yeah?”

“What were you doing a year ago?”

“Keeping York City in the football league, this is a big deal for me too. Right, start stamping your feet.”

The players did as they told and started banging their boots on the floor and created a hell of a racket. Down the hall Matthew Darlington was trying to motivate his players when he stopped at hearing a deep rumble.

“Is that….. Thunder?”

Shaun pushed himself through the partying crowd until he got closer to the home bench watching the player’s line-up. It was the closest he had been to his old friend since their wrestle in his house all those years ago. He stared at him for a while then looked for Seamus as the pitch-side entertainer got on the mike to announce the home line-up, each name generating a deafening roar.

“Here we go; the line up for the Thunder so give it up for your local boys. Number 1 Cesar ‘the Cat’ Ortiz, 19 Oleg ‘The Peg’ Rasovic, 5 and your captain for the day Scott ‘Stetch’ Johnson, 4 Danny ‘Dero’ Franken, 20 Leo ‘Geebung’ Kamasz, 6 Ariel ‘Arry’ Aranda, 3 Harry ‘Chook’ Peacock, 8 Ray ‘Floater’ Darby, 22 Luke ‘Magic’ Mirco, 7 Jordan ‘Fizzer’ Murphy, 10 Eddie Greystone. He’s still not got a nickname until he earns one apparently.

The game kicked off and it was an even match until Peacock lost it in midfield and Gatt set up James Klaver to give Adelaide the lead. Not long after Kamasz hit a high cross for Magic Mirco to head in an equaliser. The game continued on an even balance until Johnson tried to defend a cross but Gatt intercepted his weak header to finish with aplomb. The Thunder went into the break 2-1 down and looking dejected.

“What was that ****? We can win this. Come on lads, if we lose this what would you give in an hour’s time to be back at this moment with 45 minutes of football still to play? Jordan, pull your finger out and stop playing like a petulant child and having a strop every time things don’t go your way. Keep working hard lads and the goals will come.”

Sam was right, he often was. Not long after the break Kamasz hit a long ball for Murphy to run on to, and his cross saw a poor clearance fall at Mirco’s feet for an easy finish. 2-2 and all to play for. The three combined again in the 85th minute as Leo’s cross hit Jordan on the side of the head, and it fell for Luke to smash in. As Adelaide ploughed forward for a late equaliser, Magic Mirco ran on to a long ball from Rasovic to bury the game and top a scintillating performance with a majestic forth goal cherry on the Cup. The players fell to their knees in celebration and the fans ran onto the pitch and chaos ensued.

21.04.2013 – Final Series Grand Final (H) – W4-2 Mirco x4

Chapter 33

Sam awoke after hearing a dog barking in the distance and his head was pounding and his mouth was as dry. He thought he recognised the bark as Buddy, and the thought that they were all a family together again comforted him. He stirred and tried to recollect what had happened the night before, smiling when he recalled winning the Grand Final and the celebrations. The last he remembered he was having a drink with Ned at the Todd and headed home. He sat up and looked at the time, and it was 3am but looked lighter with the bright moon. He tried to lubricate his dry mouth with saliva but it wasn’t enough so he reluctantly got up and headed for the kitchen. As he got there he slipped in something warm and looked confused by the pile of clothes in the centre of the floor, until he heard the gasps for breath.

“Ned!”

He dropped to his friend’s side and hugged him, the wound was deep and the blood was flowing and the blood pumped over the both and over the floor.

“Who did this to you mate?”

The old man tried to speak the name but it came out in such a whisper, so he tried to write with his finger. His body began to shudder and he let out a death rattle as he let out his last breath, and Sam sobbed as he held him tight. After a few minutes he looked up and saw the knife, so stood up and picked it up inquisitively. The moonlight reflected off the blade and he twirled it to create a pattern on the ceiling, the blood ran onto the floor and looked more like a brown colour in the limited light. The realisation suddenly hit him and he looked to his friend and what he was trying to write, the letter S clear.

Sam struggled with the puzzle and names ran through his head, Sam, Shane, Seamus, Shaun? How many of those names did even Ned know? Something caught his eye and he walked to the sideboard and looked at the picture of the happy couple when Charlie when he was born. There was something stuck over his face and he struggled to make it out until the image of Danny’s face became clear. He looked at Helena and the baby and wailed as he had tried so hard to keep them safe, and quickly checked to make sure they had not suffered the same fate. On his return to the kitchen he saw the flashing lights in the distance.

“I don’t ****ing believe it.”

He looked at the blood and his handprints on the knife, and wondered if anyone would believe his innocence. He had to get rid of the evidence and turned the gas on, stopping only to light a candle to spark the explosion. He ran into the back garden and over the fence and jogged along until he heard the blast behind him. He turned for just a second to see the smoke and the flames and said a quick prayer for his friend, before continuing on. Soon he hit a cross-roads and wasn’t too sure which way to go, and he stopped to try to think which way Ned had taken him previously. Over in the distance the jungle seemed to come alive as Cicada’s began to call and a bat flew overhead and around the right fork.

“Mate, I hope you are bloody right about your ancestors showing the way through the animals or I’m screwed.”

The next day Helena was smiling quietly watching her beautiful baby boy gurgle to himself and it was the simple things in life that made her happy. Her heart yearned for Sam to be with them and she just could not fathom why he kept them both at arm’s length. Kelly’s phone rang and her friend sighed as she had to get off her sun-lounger to answer it.

“What? Yes she is Joel; you’d know that if you spent more time around here. Yeah he is too. They’re fine, I’m looking right at them, they’re just lying in the shade while I sunbath! Hold on…”

She swore to herself and walked to the garden fence and peered over.

“…yeah they are there, why have you got a patrol car out the front anyway? Listen, when are you going fix the pool?........ Joel? You ****ing arsehole I’m dying here.”

She shuffled into the house and shouted out to Helena.

“Want a drink?”

“Yes please love.”

A few moments later she came back with two tumblers full of ice and a clear liquid and Helena sniffed it suspiciously. It was Gin and Tonic and it was not even 9am. Buddy looked at her suspiciously as she carefully poured it into the grass but kept the ice to crunch on, before going back to follow Kelly’s every move. He watched her lie down again and her silicone-enhanced breasts staying in shape as she lay flat.

“Oh it’s so hot, I really want a swim. He wants to bloody hurry up and retire so we can move to the coast. This town is beginning to do me head in.”

Ten minutes later Joel burst into the garden in a panic, and looked relieved to see Helena and the baby.

“What you doing here? Jesus look at the state of ya love! You’ve been sweating so much you’ve stained your shirt.”

Joel looked down and he could see the salt from his perspiration, but didn’t care.

“Not now Kelly. Helena, can you come inside and sit down for a minute sweetheart? Kells, can you look after Charlie for a minute?”

Kelly looked at him in confusion and could tell it was serious, so she got up again and sat with Charlie in the shade. She had grown very close to the boy and she doted on him like her own kin, so was happy to look after him when needed. She looked up at Joel as he led Helena away.

“Thank God you are here, I was so worried that you had gone back to get some things. I’ve got something important to tell you.”

Joel had done this many times over his career but he wasn’t looking forward to this one. Being a small town he often had to break bad news to people he knew well, but this felt different. He had sat in the car for a while trying to find the right words, and they still wouldn’t come out.

“Kelly and I didn’t have kids, so I kind of see you as the daughter I never had. I always want to do right by you, and if I ever knew that you, the rugrat, or Sam were in any danger……”

His voice crackled as he uttered the words and she held his hands lovingly. They were trembling and he tried to continue.

“…… I’ve always done my best to look out for you all since you arrived.”

“I know Joel; you’ve been so good to me. What’s wrong?”

“I’ve just come from your house; there’s been a fire…. And we found a body…..”

He broke down again as the words sunk in to both of them and they hugged tightly as they both cried. Kelly had come to the patio doors so came in too, and suddenly began to wail the loudest. Charlie joined in too, and Buddy began to bark wildly as he knew something was wrong. Joel could feel her body convulsing with the tears, and she began to cry without a sound and he battled his guilt. He knew Kyle Murphy was capable of many things but could not accept this was connected, but an accident seemed so unlikely. After a while she calmed down and asked a valid question.

“Is it definitely him?”

“We assume so; he was in the house after all.”

“So it might not be?”

“Well it’s not confirmed but you are clutching at straws here love, who else could it be?”

Joel made his excuses to return to work and checked on the patrol car as he left. From across the road, the sunburnt Irishman watched the departure with interest.

“Why don’t you go and have a lie down love? Joel will call with news.”

Helena looked at Kelly with love and her mascara-stained eyes showed the reciprocation, and nodded meekly. Her surrogate mother watched Charlie as she headed to her room, with Buddy at her feet. Her mind raced and made sleep impossible but she lay there for a while anyway, and her canine protector seemed restless too. She stroked him behind the ear as he liked and she was so thankful for his company, but suddenly he rolled over and watched the door alert.

“What is it Buddy?”

The dog ignored her before jumping of the bed and scratched at the door, so she got up to open it. The door swung open to Seamus pointing a gun at her, so Buddy attacked his ankle with relish. The Irishman shook his leg to remove the threat and managed to pull him off, and in anger pointed his gun.

“Run Buddy! Get help!”

As he scampered off the sound of the shot rang out and stung Helena’s ears, and the man grabbed her by the hair and led her away past the prone dog. Her cries after her beloved pet failed to get a response, and she was further distraught and seeing an equally motionless Kelly and crying Charlie at her side. Seamus threw her to the floor and pulled a menacing and bloody looking knife from his belt, before putting his face up close.

“I love this; up close and personal for a change. Usually I kill people from a distance so this is brilliant.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joel was sat at his desk looking at the phone; panicking about Sam’s death and Kyle’s cleaning up of loose ends and contemplating calling the commissioner and owning up to everything. At the very least he needed to retire. He was trying to work out how his friend was connected, and worrying if he was himself considered redundant now. He looked at his officers and wondered if any of them was also on Kyle’s payroll, perhaps even waiting to take his job.

“Couldn’t find him Sarge.”

“What?”

“Ned Greystone, he wasn’t at home or locked up anywhere. His house looked a right tip though.”

“Heath, was it signs of a struggle?”

The younger cooper shrugged before sitting at his desk, leaning back and putting his feet up. Joel tried to work out if it was incompetence or corruption, but settled on the former. Suddenly a thought hit him and he got up.

“Heath, get off your arse and see if the forensic report is back from the lab yet. If they can’t confirm if it’s Sam or not, get them to check the teeth or check to see if it was a white or black fella.”

“Where are you going?”

“Ned’s house, just want to check on something.”

He drove the short distance and had a look through the window, before breaking into the back door. The kitchen chair was on its side and a glass was broken on the floor, and he inspected a half-eaten sandwich still on the plate. He investigated more and found a digital camera that looked new and expensive, and tried to scroll through the pictures. The memory card was missing which seemed unusual so he looked for it. He found in Ned’s sock drawer a business card for Damian Richardson, the missing journalist, and the pieces were beginning to fit. He quickly went back to the car and called in.

“Mark, is Heath there? Any news on the forensics? If not send him down personally.”

“Nah boss, he’s not here. I’ll send Max instead.”

“Max? He’s meant to be outside my house?”

“Are you going mental boss? Heath said you told him to call them back as it was a waste of resources?”

Joel sat puzzled for a second then noticed the figure of Shane behind him, before he could move a big arm was around his mouth and another had pulled out his fire-arm.

“Don’t struggle big man, this won’t hurt a bit.”

Joel gasped something back but it was inaudible, and Shane guessed his final words.

“Kelly? Dead I’m afraid, same as your house guests. You see you went mental and killed them before taking your own life in remorse. In fact, we are pinning a few things on you including that sweet council girl.”

Joel tried to struggle as the fire-arm was lifted up and pushed under his chin, his control over the trigger absent this time. He caught sight of his face in the rear-view mirror and could see the fear and tears, unsure of it was for him or the people he loved back at the house.

Helena was stuck to the floor in fear as Seamus towered over her. Charlie’s cries seemed to resonate throughout the tiled house and she wondered why the patrol car outside ignored them and the gunshot. He was continuing to wax lyrically his new found joys of face-to-face combat as something caught her eye behind him; Buddy had snuck round after his successful game of playing dead. She watched him crawl silently to the kitchen, open his food cupboard door, then climb inside.

“You little pussy.”

Seamus mistook the comment as meant for him and it riled his macho pride.

“Oh yeah, we’ll see about that. Now knife or gun? I’m not a great shot and there is something about using a blade that’s poetic. Isn’t that how you killed Danny?”

He leaned forward again but something caught his attention.

“What’s that?”

From the kitchen a whimpering was heard.

“Is that another baby? Twins eh?”

He walked into the kitchen and followed the noise, and as he opened the cupboard Buddy launched himself at his face viciously causing the knife to drop in panic. Seamus screamed as he once again tried to shake and pull the dog off him, but this time Buddy’s claws were in deep into his face. The dog savaged his eyes, nose and mouth before the Irishman fell to his knees in agony.

“Let go Buddy.”

The dog followed his owner’s commands and retracted his claws, but stayed close to bare his teeth on standby for a second attack. Seamus lay sobbing on the floor, blood pouring from his wounds and his eyes gauged.

“You can tell you are an amateur at this, Danny always tied me up.”

He looked blindly in the direction of the voice, and could not see the blade sinking into his heart.

Chapter 33

Sam continued to follow what he hoped were signs from the sprits until he stumbled on a dead wallaby, maggots consuming it and wriggling in the fur.

“Oh for fu……”

He stopped and dry-retched, and then looked to the sky to catch his breath. He wasn’t sure how long he had been running for but it seemed to be about lunchtime judging by the sun position, and his legs felt like he had completed a marathon. He was deep in the bush, and the heat was beginning to swelter him and he knew he needed water. He thought he recognised the area from a trip with Ned, so followed the path to Simpson’s Gap where he remembered had a watering hole and some shelter.

Running down the dry riverbed, he panicked when seeing the no swimming sign that there was no water at all. He followed it until he hit Ellery Creek and almost cried with relief as he saw the watering role and fell to his knees at the side and slurped greedily.

Gary Zimmerman was watching the scene from his desk, the satellite giving him an aerial view. He picked up the phone and placed the call like he was paid too, then moved the view back to his favourite spot; the Halpin’s back yard. Selling Sam out was easy, she deserved better. Finding him was even easier, his mobile phone signal giving his exact location.

Shaun got the message and floored the jeep in the right direction, not showing any emotion at the news but eager to get to his target soon. The long desert road was all there was in the way of his revenge, so he gunned the engine to reduce the distance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gus and Erin lay in bed, their limbs entangled. She stroked his chest like it was the last time they would be together, and ran her fingers down to his manhood which contorted in the heat so she grabbed it firmly. She jokingly pretended to be a nature reporter and exaggerated her Australian accent.

“Look at this beaut, this one-eyed Argentinian brown snake is the most dangerous in the world. Look how it stiffens when grabbed and if you squeeze it tightly it will spit in your face.”

Gus laughed.

“Yeah but I’ve seen your brown snakes here, they are much bigger and scarier.”

“When did you see a snake?”

An hour later Gus waved to Erin at the window as he headed home, and walked with a skip in his step. As he opened his front door he flicked the switch but the light didn’t come home, so he felt his way in the dark to the kitchen. Again the light wouldn’t work so he opened the fridge, before slumping over due to a blow from behind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam was floating in the water-hole staring the sky, and it looked like a storm was heading his way. He cursed himself for heading in this direction with no supplies or food, and tried to remember what Ned had taught him. An approaching vehicle disturbed him, and he instantly abandoned the thought of living off the land in favour of begging from some tourists. Aware he was naked; he decided to wait before exiting and watched the jeep pull up.

“Nice day for a swim.”

Sam looked like he saw a ghost as Shaun walked towards him, his hands in his pockets like it was a casual meeting of friends. He was lost for words so resumed his pose of lying in the water and looking at the sky, and considered his options. He didn’t fancy running any more, but squaring up to the hard man didn’t appeal either. On the plus side, the lack of visible weapons was a bonus.

“Charming, thought you’d at least say hello.”

Sam looked at him incensed, and he climbed out of the water towards him. Like the last time they were face to face, one of them was unnecessarily naked.

“The last time I saw you I broke your nose, and I’ll do it again if I have to.”

Shaun felt the shattered bone with his fingers, and recalled the moment.

“Actually the last time you saw me we were in court, but yeah, I still owe you for that.”

“As you were ****ing my wife, I’m not sure if I agree.”

“True, but you killed my brother. As much as we go a long way back, I can’t let that.”

“Technically I didn’t.”

“Well who did then?”

Sam recollected the second he saw his torturer’s life end at the hands of Helena, and knew he couldn’t put her in danger.

“We could argue all day about who owes what; I think we can both agree that things have got very ****ed up. Who’d have thought a few years ago that we would be in the centre of Australia just me and you eh?”

“Agreed, now put your ****ing clothes on; you’ve let yourself go and it’s not a pretty sight.”

Sam sat on the rock opposite the man he once considered his best friend in the world, nervously eying his movements and trying to work an exit strategy. Shaun’s chilling words sent a chill down his spine.

“I’ve thought about this moment every day in prison, and then every day since my escape. I’ve rehearsed the words I wanted to say you as I squeezed the life from your throat. I’ve dreamed of the moment I got to beat your head in with a rock. Tell me how my brother died?”

“I don’t know, listen I wasn’t there. I was at Bootham Crescent when the bomb went off, and he was in a warehouse somewhere.”

“********. Seamus told me you were lured there, so what happened?”

Sam hadn’t considered that Danny’s crony was still about and had been in contact with Shaun, so felt any more lies would suggest guilt.

“He tied me up and then carved me open with a knife. I asked him if your mother was proud, and in remorse he cut his own throat.”

Shaun picked up a rock and smashed Sam round the head with it. Despite knocking him over and creating a deep gash in his head, he stumbled to his feet with blood pouring down his head.

“His was my brother! He wasn’t always the sanest, but we looked after each other as kids. No-one knows what we went through but me and him. I promised my ma I’d always look after him, and you’ve made me break that.”

Sam took a few steps back and his eyes constantly watched the weapon in his hand, still red with his blood. His head throbbed, and each pulse pumped more blood down his t-shirt.

“I didn’t kill him, I promise.”

The pleas of innocence didn’t stop Shaun’s pursuit for revenge as he walked towards him menacingly, a sneer breaking out on his face. Sam reached to the floor and picked up a handful of dust and flung it into his face, and used the momentary advantage to make a run for it. He sprinted through the dry rocks and hid in a crevice, trying to quieten his deep breathing and slow his beating heart. Deep in the distance thunder rumbled and he felt a storm in the air, and he rested his head against the rock as he thought of Helena and the baby.

Sam didn’t realise his even had his eyes closed until he opened them and the red colour of the rocks made him feel like he was in Hell. He held his breath as he saw Shaun walk past his hiding place so decided to move deeper into the rocks, and held his breath as he pushed himself through a tight gap until it opened up and he fell into a secluded gorge. He audibly gasped as he took in ancient Aboriginal rock carvings, and he wondered how old they were and who the last person to see it was. He remembered Ned’s story of the MacDonnell Ranges being created by caterpillars, and of burial grounds within the area. The thought of his recently murdered friend hit him hard and he shed a tear as the image of him whispering his last breath. The memory this time replayed the name clearer and louder; Shaun.

“Ah Ned.”

He instantly remembered that he should not call his name as it brought him back from the spirit world, and slapped his hand other his mouth to avoid repeating it. He stayed silent as he looked around the gorge as marvelled at the flowers and animals and felt a breeze whip through the rocks. From the depths he heard a shuffling and his heart began to race again, and he looked to the gorge entrance. He heard some more grunts so nervously walked closer and saw Shaun trying to squeeze through; their eyes locking in mutual shock. The thug broke out into a smile.

“Here’s Shauny.”

Sam turned and ran to the far side of the Gorge and searched for another exit, and finally found another chamber. He ran between the walls until something hit his face as he was turning the corner and he slowed to a walk as he pulled the big caterpillar of his face. As he got round he stopped dead at a large spear facing him, so carefully edged past it and into the small cavity at the back. He was trapped, so sat down and admired further carvings and hoped that Shaun would not find the entrance. The wind whistled round the small cave and made an eerie sound as it wound through the gaps, and in the distance more thunder rumbled deeply. He heard the scraping of feet so turned to face his pursuer like a man; the footsteps were hard and fast and grew louder as the shadow on the wall increased in size. Shaun turned the corner at pace and was soon eye to eye with his quarry, he opened his mouth to speak but the hiss was accompanied by a bubble of blood. Sam looked down and the old spear had pierced his heart all the way to the hilt, and the wind began to howl and sing louder around them.

"Why the old man, why?"

Shaun gasped and swallowed as he tried to force the words out.

"I wanted you to go to jail like I had too. I'm.... sorry...."

He gasped shallowly as he spoke, struggling to say his peace. As Shaun breathed his last, the wind stopped and Sam was left in silence.

Chapter 34

The rain lashed down and suddenly a huge lightning bolt streaked the sky and illuminated the area and Kyle’s manic face. His victim struggled at his bonds and a huge clap of thunder shook the ground and reverberating of the nearby rocks, sounding like a huge bomb exploding. The native laughed and embraced the heavy rain, absorbing power from the elements and feeling the rush once more. Gus shouted over the noise of the water drumming on the leaves.

“Why are you doing this?”

Another flash of lightning was closely followed by another huge rumble around them that seemed to echo for an age as it rolled into the distance. The storm was on them now, and only one of them seemed to be revelling in it. Gus watched the flash flood rise around him, and he wriggled like a worm onto higher ground. His captor shouted a response back, as the planet growled with him.

“I killed my first man here, he was my best friend.”

Kyle was looking at the Red Rock formation in recollection, his eyes distant. His prisoner tried to use the opportunity to get further away but stopped as his eyes once again locked onto the gun trained firmly on him as the attention was back and the story told.

“We were only young, 18 years old. We worked together and came up here for a holiday to look for gold and change our future. We were drawn to these rocks like a magnet and set up camp here, our home for the week. It was Ethan who saw it first and he called me over. I ran over to him and leaned over him while he was crouched down below me. He looked so happy and so was I. But then the gleam of the metal reflected in the sunshine and it called to me, and I wanted it. I asked to see it and held it in my hand, feeling so powerful as I stood towering over him with this big lump in my hand. I was brought up poor so always wanted to be rich, and my dreams seemed real. I suddenly wanted it all, so brought down the gold with force right on his head and split it open like a ripe mango. I remember that look in his eyes when he realised my face was not one of happiness like his, but of greed and desire.”

The rain continued to lash down on them and he was soaked to the skin but didn’t care, he was feeling the rush again and felt so powerful. He watched Gus try to position himself so that the increasing water levels weren’t a danger. Lightning illuminated the surroundings again and he spun round and pointed the gun to a new figure at the scene.

“Daddy, what are you doing?”

“Keeping you safe Angel; and I can only do that with you by my side. I will not let anyone take you away from me.”

“Please don’t hurt him, I love him.”

He turned to him again and a huge crack of thunder resonated, making her jump as she thought he fired a shot.

The rain began to ease off, and she ran over to her lover and threw herself in front of him protectively.

“Please Daddy, put the gun down.”

The fire in his eyes seemed to cool and he gently lowered the weapon as she headed towards him, the apple of his eye was always his weakness especially when tearful. She came up to him and threw her arms around him as she sobbed, and his heart melted. They embraced for a few minutes until she let go and held his hands, the storm around them beginning to ease off.

“I’m not going anywhere daddy, don’t worry.”

“He can’t come with us, not where we are going.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry daddy.”

He smiled at her as she squeezed his hands tightly, before stepping away backwards. Her face seemed to have changed expression, and he realised his hands were empty.

“Steady now, love.”

“I need to know, did you kill Ben?”

“Of course not, it was an accident! A snake bit him.”

“Is it just a coincidence that Gus had a snake in his swag too?”

“Yes, of course.”

His eyes were firmly on the gun in her hands, and it was slightly shaking as she trembled.

“Liar! I can see it in your face.”

Kyle began backing off slowly, distancing himself from the emotion and the weapon. She began to cry and shake violently and a shot rang out missing him by a good distance.

“Sweetheart, I didn’t do anything I promise.”

Erin wiped a piece of snot away from her face and her lip trembled so she tried to compose herself.

“Daddy, I’ve done something bad. You know that you passed the company over to me? But kept that high-levelled position on the board so can still secretly control things? Well I’ve changed the name, so technically it’s a different company now and you don’t have that right anymore.”

Kyle looked confused and stopped backing away.

“You did what? Now honey, let’s not get silly.”

“And not only that, I moved everything from your storage facility at Yellow River to a secret location.”

Kyle’s mouth dropped open as the reality hit him, she had everything.

“You ****ing bitch, I’m glad I killed your ****ing waster husband.”

Another shot rang out and this time the bullet grazed his arm so he turned and ran away, quickly looking back to see his daughter choosing Gus over him. His anger simmered as he pulled his phone out.

“Max? Where are you?”

“Yellow River you double crossing *******! It’s empty, where is it? I want my share you ****ing ****-suck…..”

Kyle terminated the call cursing Erin as he waded his way through the flooding, and cursed the heavy storm from the North. He knew where he was going, this was his area. Some people would be terrified in this situation but Kyle was a true-blue Australian, born and raised. This was his turf, and he never felt fear in his neighbourhood. He waded further on and a bat flew over his head so he followed it looking for higher ground, and suddenly stopped dead in his tracks. Opposite sat a huge saltwater croc just staring at him, and something about the eyes look familiar. The bat flew around above them before disappearing.

“What are you doing here you walking piece of luggage? You shouldn’t be this far south.”

The crocodile seemed to grin and Kyle could have sworn he laughed like Jimmy Moran, and the reptile was on him in seconds.

Thanks Mark, really glad to have finished it and after reading the first two back recently I am also very pleased with the progression I've made on this board with everyone's help and support. I hit a lot of mental blocks with this one, and really delighted with how the story panned out. I don't think I'm a great writer, but thought the ideas on this story were pretty solid and was glad I could effectively tie it all together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue

The sounds of passionate love-making resonated from the cabin as the yacht floated in the still night on the barrier reef. After yet another orgasm the man walked onto the deck to cool down and lay on his back to look at the millions of stars above him, picking out the constellations and relaxing in the dazzling beauty. After a few minutes he got up and found the bottle of Champagne and two glasses and went back for more.

The next morning the sun sparkled on the waves as the large sail-boat gently rocked with the motion of the sea. Sam stood on the stern and watched as a school of Buffalo Parrotfish grazed over the reef like a herd of cattle over a grassy field. As he watched them swim into the reflection of the white sandy beach he smiled to himself at his luck at witnessing the event in such a paradise location. He looked back down the boat to the bow, and called out.

“Did you see that? Amazing!”

Erin indicated that she was on the phone and he stared at her on the sundeck while she talked; the conversation inaudible. He admired her curves and stood appreciating her beauty while she nodded along to the discussion, and Sam guessed it was business by the serious look on her face. She felt the stares and looked back and caught his gaze, and she didn’t need to use her expert analysis skills to know what he was thinking, the angle of the dangle in his board shorts was evidence enough. From below deck he heard movement, so quickly lay face down on the seats as Helena and Charlie came up the stairs covered in suntan lotion and big hats.

“Sam, your back is red. Let me put some suntan lotion on you.”

His wife put their child in the shade and splurged the factor 60 on his back and rubbed it in aggressively. Sam looked back up the boat as he clenched at the ordeal, and watched as his Best Man put his arms round Erin sensually, the electricity between them crackled as he pulled her close. Sam looked intently as their embrace squashed her breast out of the side of her bikini into the open air, and he lapped the rare gift that no other would witness. Erin became aware and re-arranged herself as Gus gave his friend the thumbs up, consigning the image to Sam’s memory forever. He waved back and Helena was alerted to their presence.

“Oh look at them two love birds; our honeymoon and they are the ones rocking the boat at night. I wish you’d tell them that the walls are stick thin and we can hear everything they are up to. He’s a bit of a Latin Love God your mate, but who’d want to have sex like that all night long, not me that is for sure.”

“No love, me neither.”

He sighed deeply at the acceptance and rolled over, still flying the flag. He made suggestive eyes at his wife, and she returned by flicking his Crown Jewels and he yelped in pain.

“Last time you came near me with that Charlie was conceived.”

Sam looked at Erin again as she energetically paced the bow, and he looked back at his new wife and rubbed his groin against her.

“Come on honey; let’s nip downstairs to the cabin?”

Helena also looked at Erin and saw her beauty and slim body, and looked at her own.

“I’m too fat, I don’t feel sexy.”

Sam tried to protest but got a nudge as Erin was heading their way, Satellite phone in her hand. Time slowed for Sam as he watched her bounce towards him, and he held Helena close to cover his modesty.

“It’s for you.”

“Pardon?”

She handed him the phone and motioned for him to take it. He put the receiver to his ear and heard an unmistakable accent.

“Sam Heywood? It’s Gary Jones, the Liverpool manager here.”

“Jonesy, how’s life in the motherland?”

“Cold and wet. How’s life in Australia? Are you going to stay out there?”

Sam took in the scenery momentarily, and then looked at the ocean and the nearby white sandy beach. Thoughts raced through his mind, it seemed he was no longer under threat unless Shaun had some cronies ready to avenge him. Going home was genuinely a possibility. He looked at his wife, his friend and his boss. He thought of the upcoming season and of the chance to compete in the Asian Champions League against teams from across the continent. He answered his natural Scouse accent mixed with an Australian lilt.

“Nah mate, all good here; I am home. Manchester City bought our franchise but have moved us to Sydney, and they want to keep me on as manager so it’s all good. Anyway, how can I help?”

“Take it you’ve heard Alfonso is off to Barcelona? Well we need a new striker and we’ve had our scouts watching your boy up front. We’ve just agreed an amount with your Chairman, so do you reckon he’s good enough to play over here?”

“Oh yeah mate, no doubt. Thought that from the first time I saw him play, and have been teaching him the English game ever since. Will be a top, top player for you I think. He’s got the skills to replace Alfonso for sure. ”

“Glad to hear the endorsement. Is Gus staying with you too?”

“Yeah, he’s all loved up and turns out his girlfriend has always hated Alice Springs so is pleased to have left. Yep, the sun is shining and I’m looking at the most beautiful woman in the world, and my son will grow up with a great quality of life. Why in the hell would we come back?”

As he cut the call and passed the phone back to Erin, she smiled warmly at him. He watched her walk back up the deck and into the arms of her lover, his eyes fixated on her rear. Gus looked the picture of happiness and they hugged and winked at his friend.

“Ah, that’s sweet that you think that of me. I want to stay here too.”

Helena hugged him and he sat back and put his face to the sun, the warmth caressed him. He felt every inch a contented man, as he imagined it was Erin in his arms.

A week later the young man stood anxiously outside the door and knocked. He was tired after his long journey, but enthusiastic at the opportunity that was at his finger-tips.

“Come in.”

“Hi, my name is Jordan Murphy. Hopefully you’ve been expecting me.”

The host nodded and held his hand open and out-stretched.

“Take a seat.”

He followed the direction and sat on the chair opposite the big desk. The man eyed him up and down and smiled at him, and he felt something unerring in the depths of his eyes.

“Sam Heywood sent me, told me you had an offer for me?”

“Yes, that’s right. I hear you want to play for the best club in England?”

“Yes, I’ve wanted to play for them as long as I can remember. I’d do anything to play for the club.”

“Really? Anything? That’s the sort of commitment Manchester United like to hear. There are a lot of young boys who want to play for the club, so the manager Blair Hancock takes recommendations from people like me; people he trusts within the football community. I can help you but it’s a two way street, you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours. How does that sound?”

“What do you mean?”

The man stood up and sat on the desk and looked the boy deep into his blue eyes, admiring his mop of blonde hair and innocent smile. He searched for the contours of his muscular body under his shirt.

“I mean, if you want to play for the club I can help you. But you need to help me with something first. If you don’t then fine, it’s up to you. And I’ll see if the next boy is willing to play the game.”

The man read the expressions, and continued his pitch, pausing to look at his watch for his gambit.

“He’ll be here soon actually, scored 60 goals for the Bayern Munich youth team last year. Mathias Wild from Germany, I hope he lives up to his name. In fact actually, I think United will like him more so let’s cut this short, thanks for coming. Please see yourself out.”

The young man felt his chance slipping away and became desperate.

“No wait, I’ve come all the way from Australia for this. There must be something I can do to convince you to help me? You should see the tricks I can do; I’m brilliant at juggling with balls and can keep it up for hours. Please give me the opportunity to show you?”

The agent grinned, and began to reel the fish in.

“Oh I hope so. Perhaps I could think of something you can do to impress me.”

He stroked the boy’s cheek, before getting up and closing the office door for privacy. The man’s name adorned the wooden panel as it slowly swung shut – Matt Bell – Football Agent.

The young Australian placed the ball down on the chalk spot, and focused on his breathing. He walked back slowly, keeping the stride consistent and counting the steps. Soon he was in position and waiting for the signal.

Anfield was quiet; a collective breath was held. In the far corner the away fans made noises and he thought he heard a monkey chant but couldn’t be sure. He blocked out the sounds and looked up to the sky, and visualised his Grandfather looking down on him. The vision calmed him and he smiled to himself. The commenter whispered his words for fear of distracting the player, even though it was impossible.

“Look how calm he is; steady as a rock. This young player has been plucked from obscurity to play on the greatest stage, and here he has the chance to open the scoring on his debut after he was hacked down by the defender. Clear penalty, do you agree Brian?”

His aging co-commentator nodded, so he motioned for him to talk into the microphone for the listening audience.

“Oh yes Pat, took his legs from clean under him; a definite penalty.”

“Steady as a Red Rock in the Desert. What do you think of him as a player Brian?”

“Well he’s what is known in some schools as a……”

The whistle shrilled and the player was off, retracing the steps he had just taken. He placed his left foot beside the ball and swung his right powerfully, sending the ball spinning into the corner of the onion bag. The communal inhalation exploded into cheers and the boy turned and ran to the corner in celebration.

“And it’s there, cool as a cucumber. 1-0 to Liverpool and its ‘Steady’ Eddie Graystone from the penalty spot on his debut. Look at him celebrate by indicating to the heavens as he runs, and now he’s pointing down the TV camera to someone, I wonder who that’s for?”

Jordan Murphy snarled in disgust as Franco asked why Manchester United didn’t want to sign him, and grimaced as he sat down too hard on his bar stool.

Matt Bell was half watching as he was distracted by a knock on his door from DI Blake, and motioned for his Mathias to stop his actions.

Around the world millions saw it, but it was only aimed at one person. Sam Heywood acknowledged the gesture and clenched his fist back, pride seeping from every pore that his prodigy had finally earned a nickname.

Gents, this is the end of a beautiful road for me. Loved writing this story and want to go back and build on the other two. I have an important question before perhaps wasting my time, does social commentary link in with comedy and football?

i.e. this story had a back story of a racial undercurrent, which I might do something complementary if it worked.

On a similar vein, I'd love any feedback, constructive or otherwise.

Thanks for reading.

Archived