Match Fatigue/Injury - What does it mean?

I assumed that if a player has a figure of 47% they were only able to produce 47% of their ability.

I guess this must not be the case. I had a player who had received a knock and had the injury symbol. I was about to substitute him when he was passed the ball at the halfway line. He ran through the middle of the pitch, jinked two players, and scored a scorcher from just outside the box. In the 87th minute he was down to 41% and he jumped up in the center of the box and scored from a corner.

I am not complaining about what happened, but want to understand how a player in the condition can do what he did.

Thanks

Imagine that you are running a lot and getting tired... If a player is tired, he won't be able to do all of the closing down or make longer sprints, but he can pull off a stunning volley or rest a bit before a corner kick to make that header - but he won't be as quick to get back in the defence if the corner kick goes bad.

I sort of worked that out, but that does not really explain the striker with 47% taking the ball half the length of the field and escaping tackles. So, I just wondered what does 47% actually mean?

Not a lot. As far as I can tell knocks just make a player more likely to develop a full injury. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all.

I have no way to test my theory, though.

I tried out something in my next game. My DMC got an injury and went down to 53% just before half time. He had a rating of 6.6. After the break his fitness(?) recovered to 73% and stayed there for awhile. Finally, it started to go down again at about the same rate as other players in the team. I subbed him in the 81st minute when he got down to 59% with a rating of 7.3.

It really seems the injury did not dampen his performance.

I find this interesting because for years I had always replaced an injured player straight away.

That is how that appeared in this match. This would mean I can let players play on with knocks or even down to 50% and less. I do not see a player with 50% get beaten to the ball by a player at 90%.

I can see a tired player beating a rested player to the ball - even when you're tired you can gather strength for an explosive action or two, it is just that you can't do such things regularly when you're tired - you're less likely to return to defense in time, can't chase every through ball...

Archived