Match Preparation Training

I'm playing an FMC game at the moment that's been going for about 13 seasons. In the build up to every game I get a message with a scouting report for the opponent along with a recommendation for my match preparation training. 9 times out of 10 this recommendation is for Attacking Movement to be the focus. At the start of the game I was in Spanish Second Division B so the recommendation was always quite varied. However, having built up my way to Man Utd this has now changed due to me being the hot favourite for most matches. I was wondering if there's any way to set Attacking Movement as my default match prep training as at the moment every time I go into it, it's set to Def. Set Pieces. Anybody had a similar problem at all?

On a totally unrelated note, I think I'm about to unlock a son once my current season finishes and Bale and Smalling retire. Exciting times...I just hope he isn't awful!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm playing with Betis in La Liga. I repetitively get the advice from my assistant manager during the match to focus on defending set pieces. As my team has 100% familiarity of the tactics, I use 30% of the training for match practice. I used to devote around 40% of match preparations towards defending set pieces, and lately 50%. Many times I have trained defending set pieces before the game, and yet the assistant tells me to focus on it. I've got pretty decent center-halves, a goalie with 15 aerial ability and otherwise above average (Ospina - Colombia's 1st choice), I really don't understand why this keeps happening. I would've thought that if the team trains defending set pieces, it would: a) learn to counter specific threats of the opposing team, and; b) generally improve performance at set pieces. I hardly ever get the opportunity to match prepare the attacking options (set pieces/movement) as I often train defensive positioning, especially when playing good teams.

I have a scout with 20 for tactical knowledge, but he hasn't advised me to prepare for the match with def. set pieces, he actually never gives any specific advice.

I can't complain about my team's attacking style, they can attack, and I score a few goals from corners, so I'm wondering if the match preparation advice is based on the team's relative strength/weakness. I.e if tactics familiarity is 100%, there isn't much need for preparing defensive positioning or attacking movement. I've read a few manuals, but haven't come across any specific advice on this subject.

I almost perceive this as a bug and am considering posting this in the bugs forum, but perhaps someone has more knowledge of this than I do.

Hi, I'm playing with Betis in La Liga. I repetitively get the advice from my assistant manager during the match to focus on defending set pieces. As my team has 100% familiarity of the tactics, I use 30% of the training for match practice. I used to devote around 40% of match preparations towards defending set pieces, and lately 50%. Many times I have trained defending set pieces before the game, and yet the assistant tells me to focus on it. I've got pretty decent center-halves, a goalie with 15 aerial ability and otherwise above average (Ospina - Colombia's 1st choice), I really don't understand why this keeps happening. I would've thought that if the team trains defending set pieces, it would: a) learn to counter specific threats of the opposing team, and; b) generally improve performance at set pieces. I hardly ever get the opportunity to match prepare the attacking options (set pieces/movement) as I often train defensive positioning, especially when playing good teams.

I have a scout with 20 for tactical knowledge, but he hasn't advised me to prepare for the match with def. set pieces, he actually never gives any specific advice.

I can't complain about my team's attacking style, they can attack, and I score a few goals from corners, so I'm wondering if the match preparation advice is based on the team's relative strength/weakness. I.e if tactics familiarity is 100%, there isn't much need for preparing defensive positioning or attacking movement. I've read a few manuals, but haven't come across any specific advice on this subject.

I almost perceive this as a bug and am considering posting this in the bugs forum, but perhaps someone has more knowledge of this than I do.

I don't think its a bug. See the bit I've emboldened .

Match preparation training is not cumulative (with the exception of "Tactics only"). It only gives you a one-off boost for that particular match. So, you could do set-piece training for the next year and there would no effect that was long-term cumulative.

We'd need to know more about the rest of your squad to understand why your ass man is recommending Def. Set. Pieces every game. I know you say the keeper and the CB's fit the bill but what about the rest of the side? Maybe you have a lack of height in the rest of the squad?

Yes, my team is pretty short. I prefer to play counter-attacking so generally the players are rather quick and technically gifted but not very tall or physically imposing. So that's probably it. I perhaps should put a bit more of an effort into viewing opponents to decide if they have such advantages. I could also try and change who stands on the posts. I have my two fullbacks, but perhaps should change to some other players. My fullbacks aren't particularly good at jumping or heading, but at least they can mark better and have decent mental attributes. I'll give it a go.

Cheers!

edit: I've also twitched the set piece set up, putting more men on man-marking. I've used the same set-up for so many years, perhaps I've become complacent. Haha

Well, I'll just have to live with poor set-piece defending. Despite my alterations I still get this advice. Before a game against Sociedad my scout advised me to focus on attacking movement, but during the game my assistant said that we're giving away too many chances at set pieces.

Thanks anyway

edit: It's still better than playing like Stoke...

Archived