[FM13] 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 - Working well in League 1

This formation was the result of advice received from others on the forum, when my existing 4-3-3 wasn't delivering results. I was growing frustrated at endless 0-0 draws and 1-0 defeats, punctuated by the odd good result and the odd pummelling. I couldn't see a way to keep defensively solid but increase my attacking potency. Until fellow posters and mods such as Cleon pointed out the flaws in my formation. I've taken on board all the advice and criticism, and this formation is the result. The football isn't silky smooth, but the initial results have been good. I will post a results screenshot when I've played a few more games.

I have so far used it as a plug and play formation, but the final version is a result of having tinkered with the duties of the players until I got the result I was looking for. I haven't tested it with anyone other than Sheffield United in League 1 yet, although did successfully use an earlier variation as an international manager with Republic of Ireland.

Teamtalk depends on your team and who you are up against. What works for one team won't work for another. Best guidance is to be led by what is expected to happen in the game. If you expect to beat a team easily, tell the players. If you're massive underdogs, tell them to relax and enjoy it. At half time, base your talk on how you've played and how you expect to be doing. If they're matching or exceeding expectations, tell them you're happy. If they've underachieved, tell them. And if they've battered the opposition and just not scored, tell them to keep going. Match prep I pretty much leave to the Ass Man, as I have him set to deal with it in responsibilities. Shouts I use in response to his feedback. If he tells me we're not keeping the ball, I use retain possession etc. Good luck if you decide to use this tactic.

Archived