Network games - LAN

Moderators/SI,

Could we have some feedback on why the decision was made to remove the normal LAN network game arrangement that has always been available in the past ? I realise that for some, setting up a network game was slightly daunting (firewall ports etc etc) but for those in the know it was a slick way to run a networked game.

I simply used to just set up a game as the server, let my mates know my IP address and provided that I'd opened the correct ports we were good to go.

It now seems as though we are completely reliant on the steam servers for our network games, yes, I realise that it's now easier for the layman to set up a network game but why remove the LAN option completely ???

Why not have a simple set up (via steam) and an advanced set up that works as it used to ?

I look forward to an answer as I think we've moved backwards from a network game perspective this year.

Regards

• Administrators

There are a number of reasons but one of the main reasons was to stop those without legitimate versions of the game being able to run network games 'offline'. Also by allowing network games via Steam's servers it's increased server speed and connections.

Archived