There are two types of people in the world...

Alex2011

...those that can manage a football team and those that can't!

Like I said in my previous career thread, An African Odyssey, I'm no tactical genius - I can't look at a team and it's players and instantly think of the perfect formation, nor can I look at a selection of young players and tell which one is the next Messi. I'm not the most appalling manager either, I can generally get a good run in the middle of the season that'll keep in the top half of the table. Nevertheless, this year I've decided to go for the good old-fashioned journeyman career, and hopefully this career thread will document the highs (and many lows) of my hopefully illustrious career.

I began unemployed with all the leagues from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland and Wales loaded, and so I had the same jobs available to me as everyone else starting unemployed, and the one that leapt out was Havant & Waterlooville. Unfortunately, they didn't seem interested, while Brechin in the Scottish Second Division repeatedly hammered me with their offers, until the point where I reluctantly accepted. I signed a £400p/w contract as I'd rather not stay much longer, and set about checking out the team.

On first impressions, the squad looked pretty small and not very good, and, if I'm honest, that was the only impression I got. Johnny Brown looks like a solid right-back and Andy Jackson looks like a very good striker for this level, but unfortunately he's injured for nearly a month and a half so we're left with only one natural striker. On the bright side, Ryan Stewart appears to have a fair bit of potential, but only time will whether or not my managerial "skills" will bring the best out of him.

The chairman wants me to get the club into the playoffs, which could be difficult seeing as the transfer budget is non-existant and my squad only consists of 17 players. He also wants us to reach the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup, which, considering we've already been knocked out in the 1st round, may be tricky.

But I digress. Updates will be monthly, starting in August of this year where we have the 1st round of the League Cup and the first two matches of the league to look forward to.

I'm no tactical genius - I can't look at a team and it's players and instantly think of the perfect formation, nor can I look at a selection of young players and tell which one is the next Messi.

Me neither. I went to the Mike Bassett school of tactics. I am good at developing youngsters though into slightly less **** players than they should be.

Archived