4-5-1, balanced formation...

I'm at Aston Villa and it's not going too badly I think but I can't help but feeling I'm a few tactical tweaks away from finding a basic system that could be used well throughout. I use a broadly, counter-attacking 4-5-1 system with a rigid philosophy, in fact, the rigid philosophy came about during a previous tactical tweak and then stuck around due to its initial success. However, now I fear that things could turn sour once again and a pre-emptive strike might be order...

DEFENCE: The two DC's play simply as CD(d), I had tried systems with a ball playing defender and even with CD(x) and CD© but these experiments didn't work so I decided to leave the centre-back pairing unchanged and uncomplicated. The full backs, again kept simple, play as FB(auto) so they can support attacks without leaving the centre-backs to exposed because imo full backs are the 'extra men' on the pitch and the most adaptable when it comes to a change in strategy. As a DMC I use a DM(d) mainly due to the players I have available and I feels it provides a good compromise between the DLP and the anchor man and forms a solid defensive trio with the two centre-backs.

MIDFIELD: I use a midfield system that I think is the most effective and flexible in real-life which is the tackler/passer/creator model. (I've already mentioned the tackler above as the DM). To replicate the passer I use CM(s) because I feel it provides a player who is does a good job both on and off the ball with minimal fuss. To replicate the creator I play an AP(a) becuase I it means they can attack the space in front of the box and provide through balls to my attacking trio and also arrive late into/on the of the edge of the box for crosses.

ATTACK: I use an Inside Forward on the left and I'm quite happy with that as IF's are quite effective and width on the left is provided by my LB who regularly attacks. However, on the right hand side I am facing a dilemma, in Junior Hoillett I have a fast, tricky winger but as I only play one striker (who isn't a target man) crossing from the byline and hugging the touchline isn't effective, I have considered 'move into channels' but I'm still very unsure. Upfront I use a DLF(a) atm so they can drop into space in front of the defence giving the opposing centre-backs nobody to mark and them room to create and then make a run into the box. However, with an AP(a) and IF(a) this area might be too congested, the role of my forward is my longest and biggest worry so any help will be appreciated.

So I was just wondering for a bit of guidance on my tactics (especially attacking-wise) because I think I might be close to getting it right. Also this is my first post on SI forums and I'm interested to see what kind of response (if any) there is to my general tactical approach.

(However, I can't post attachments which I guess includes print screens, the red exclaimation appears when I try upload them)

I always use AMR and AML on mixed forward runs if my striker is on often. Conversely, if my striker is on mixed or rarely forward runs, then my AMR and AML are both on often. I use the same midfield setup as you do, except my AP is on support. This way, I usually strike a good balance in a 4-1-2-2-1.

Archived