Gretna - I thought people got married there?

sherm

"Good news Si, Tom's decided to join us permanently. He moves in January"

"Thats brilliant. The scouts spotted anothe good young keeper, so do you want me to keep tabs on him?"

"Yes, we need some young stoppers"

"Who else are we looking at?"

"Well at the moment there's...."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-2 Forfar

Scorers: Bingham, Baldacchino

We threw a 2 goal lead away in this match, and we had enough chances to kill the game off in the first half. Baldacchino and Bingham got a goal and an assist each, and Bingham had 5 more chances but credit to Forfar, they kept coming back at us and got an 88th minute equaliser to end our 6 game winning run. Not happy though, after being 2 goals up.

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 0-1 Partick

Scorers:

Partick showed us why they were top of the league in this match. Both teams had chances but once they took a 24th minute lead (Sam Morrow, again!) they held firm at the back and stopped whatever we threw at them. I wasn't pleased but we deserved to be beaten. We're 4 points behind them now, and need to hope they have a bad run

"That was really frustrating today. They showed why they are top of the league and they deserved to win"

"I know but we still had enough chances to win the match, or get a point at least. If we had got something then we would have still been in touch with them"

"Lets just concentrate on getting ourselves back on track now though"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Sherm, you need to put your tables inside code tags - i.e start with {code} and end with /{code} except use square brackets [] instead of curlies {}. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Bob said except the second tag should be {/code} with the / inside the brackets. And of course remember to use [] brackets instead.

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 4-0 Dumbarton

Scorers: Deuchar (2), Bingham, Innes

This was a good response from the defeat by Partick, and we kept a clean sheet. Although Dumbarton didn't offer much resistence, we still kept out the 4 shos hey did have, and wew were absolutely rampant. Chris Innes, one of our centre backs even managed to get on the scoresheet, along with our front 2 of Bingham and Deuchar. Dumbarton showed why they were bottom of the league but we didn't give them a sniff today. Teriffic performance

"Did you hear the news? Sean McDowell has left his journalist's job and gone to be involved with the day-to-day running of one of the clubs in the first division"

"Really? Which club?"

"They don't know yet, he hasn't said. They reckon that its a mid-table club though"

"Interesting tha. Why would he do that? Something is definately not right about him...."

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-1 Raith

Scorers: Bingham (2), McGinty

This was another good solid performance, and another 3 points at home. We are still unbeaten at Raydale Park, and it would be nice to finish that way. We want to make it tough for teams to get results here, and we did today. Raith were never in he game, and despite equalising in the 2nd half we killed them off with a late brace from Bingham. Good result and good performance

"I think we should give a few of the regulars a rest. Its not my priority at the moment, and the way were going in the league then the team wont drastically change. They will have to play eventually"

"Yes you're right I suppose. We cant be complacent though, even if they are in the 3rd division"

"I know that, it will still be a strong side i put out"

Scottish Cup 2nd Round

Gretna 4-0 Elgin

Scorers: Bingham, Grady (2), McGinty

With a starting line-up containing only 4 regular starters (Bingham, Baldacchino, Lilley and Hannah) Gretna were still strong enough to overcome an Elgin City side who battled away for half an hour, but once Bingham opened the scoring their heads went down and it as a stroll in the park for Gretna's makeshift side

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 4-1 Alloa

Scorers: Bingham, Deuchar, Graham, Hannah

Another free-flowing performance going forward, and solid at the back. We are really starting to click as a team now, and if we can carry this through the season then there should be no reason why we can't win promotion. David Hannah was superb today, stopping everything Alloa tried and was at the heart of everything we did, thouroughly deserving his MoM award.

"So, were halfway through the league season Si, and we are lying in a nice position"

"I know, but if we had turned 2 of our 3 defeats into a win and a draw we would look even better"

"Ifs and buts mean nothing mate. Lets just concentrate on winning football matches"

Halfway through the season, the league table looked like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1 Partick 18 14 3 1 +34 45

2 Gretna 18 13 2 3 +25 41

3 Morton 18 12 3 3 +22 39

4 Raith 18 8 3 7 +4 27

5 Stirling 18 7 3 8 -1 24</pre>

Nick is relaxing in his house, when...

Brrrrr, Brrrrr...

"what the...?

Brrrrr, Brrrrr...

"Hello"

heavy breathing on the other end of the phone

"Hello. Who is this, I haven't got time for silly pranks"

"Leave, get out of Gretna and Scotland now, take everyone you care for with you"

"Excuse me? who do you think you are..."

"You have already had one warning, now get out"

"Who are you? I dont think this is funny...."

phone goes dead

"...dont worry about it boss, it was probably just some silly kids"

"No, I think it was more than that Simon. Some silly kids wouldn't have said something that serious"

"What did he mean though, by telling you tha you have already had one warning?"

"I wish I knew Si, i really do"

"Get everyone you care about out of Gretna. It doesn't make sense"

Nick is deep in thought

"...hang on, I think I know what he means. I have already had one warning. Running Dale off the road"

"Yeah it could be. What you going to do about it?"

"Bide our time Simon"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-0 Stirling

Scorers: Bingham (2)

This was another really satisfying performance, and another clean sheet. We are starting to look strong in defence and still looking as strong as ever up-front, with the front 2 and central midfield 2 linking well together. Clean sheets ae becoming necessary now, if we want to stay in contention with Partick.

NEW YEAR BRINGS NEW FACES

Nicholas Simpson has brought more new faces to Gretna. Young goalkeeper Tom Heaton has joined on a permanent transfer from Manchester Utd., for a club record fee of £75,000. Another young shot-stopper, Michael McGovern from Celtic was purchased for £1,000. Experienced midfielder Juanjo cam to Raydale from Inverness C.T, for £7,000 with Scott Walker, a Centre-back who has not been able to establish himself at Brechin has joined the Raydale Revolution for £12,000. Simpson had this to say:

"I am delighted with these signings, and i believe they are the stepping stone to the future of Gretna football club. I am looking to build a squad that can compete in the top level of the game, and I want to get this club into the SPL in 3 seasons.

"The board at Gretna have been happy to help Nick along the way, and we have provided the money he needed to purchase the players he wants. We have full faith in his ability and believe he is the man to get us into the SPL or the first time in our history"

"Mr. Mileson, does the club still have money in the bank to buy players in the summer?"

"Yes, Nicholas has enough money in the bank to build a top-level squad, and he has already attracted some quality players to this club in his tenure here"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 1-0 Ayr

Scorers: Juanjo

Juanjo and Scott Walker both made their debuts in the game today, and both were exceptional. Juanjo is a quality player with experience in the SPL, and i firmly beleve he will help this club in its promotion chase and in seasons to come. He scored a superb chip over the keeper after David Hannah's hrough ball had sent him through, and we held out at the other end with Scott Walker making a last minute goal-line clearance. Another good 3 points today

"I can't believe that they let him go for such a song Simon. The guy oozes quality, he is way too good for this division anyway"

"That's so true. Scott looked good aswell, Brechin must have good defenders if he couldn't get in the team"

"Well, they are both top quality players and I'm delighted to have them here at Gretna. Juanjo's celebration was nice, he ran over to me on the touchline, and thanked me for giving him the opportunity to play football again"

"I never thought I would play football again boss. No matter what I did or how hard I worked they wouldn't play me. That is why I am grateful to you for bringing me here, and taking a chance on me"

"I am not taking any chance on you Juanjo, you are a quality player and will bring quality to this football club. You only had to listen to the fans when you scored, they have taken you to heart already. I would love you to finish your career here, and help me get this team to the top-flight, where it belongs"

"Boss, I would like nothing more. Show me the contract and I will sign it"

Scottish Cup 3rd Round

Gretna 1-1 Clyde

Juanjo scored his 2nd in two games for us, and we showed what we were made of here against a well established division 1 team. Clyde took the lead on the half hour, a well crafted team goal. We came back straightaway though, Kenny threading the ball through for Juanjo, who rounded the keeper and slotted it home. Scott Walker was magnificent at the back again, as was young keeper Mike McGovern, making his debut. Lets hope we can get something in the replay

Scottish Cup 3rd Round Replay

Gretna 2-3 Clyde

Scorers: McGinty, Tosh

We played better than Clyde, had more chances (16-4) and ran riot. We were actually leading till deep into injury time, the 4th minute to be exact (should have only been 3) when Clyde got a late equaliser. They then scored in the last minute of injury time aswell to condemn us to a very undeserved defeat. Well, we have the league to concentrate on I suppose....

"I dont really care to be honest Si. There was meant to be 3 minutes of injury time, yet Clyde equalise in the 4th. Thats a joke. I'm not going to complain officially now becuase no action will be taken but its so frustrating when things go against you..."

"I know boss, but look on the bright side. We are flying high in the league and we can concentrate fully on that now"

"Yes, you're right. Lets get promoted and have something to celebrate"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-1 Morton

Scorers: McAnespie, Bingham

This wasn't the best game to watch for either set of fans really, but we got 3 points so I am sure our fans wont mind. Morton came out with a game-plan, which was to try and scupper our front two, and it worked for 56 minutes, until our left-back Kieran McAnespie gave us the lead with a cross-cum-shot that found the bottom corner. Morton pulled back level in the 67th minute, but David Bingham scored from free-kick in the 86th minute to secure the 3 points. Good result against the team in 3rd, who are slowly falling away from ourselves and Partick.

Nick walks into his house to find he has been broke into

"What on earth....Fiona, are you in?"

Picks up the phone and dials

"You home yet Si? When you get in, check that everything is alright, I think someone might try and rob your house, because they have done mine"

"What? Right, I'm coming round, wait there"

"...its got to be something to do with Dale and everything else thats been going on hasn't it?"

"I dont understand what they want from us though, I'd rather they just tell us straight up what they want"

"You going to tell the police?"

"No, keep them out of it, they will only cause more trouble"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 4-0 Peterhead

Scorers: Bingham (2), Graham, Baldacchino

We were absolutely phenomenal here, and Peterhead did not know what to do with us. We controlled the game from start to finish, racking up an incredible 32 shots on goal, and we could have easily reached double figures if it wasn't for the Peterhead 'keeper, who should have been MoM for saving his side from embarassment. Fantastic is a word best used to describe how we played today.

"...they are still top, and they have still only suffered the 1 defeat, and that was early in the season"

"I know, but we wont have a better chance to go above them will we? We are on an unbeaten run in the league of 7 games, so we have got a big chance"

"Well it damn sure wont be easy, especially at their place"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 1-1 Partick

Scorers: Bingham

I was actually disappointed to come away with only a point, although if we had been offered it at the start I would have bitten your hands off. We were slightly the better side, and should have been 2 or 3 clear by half-time, but instead we conceded early in the second half and came away with a point. All 3 would have put us top too, which is frustrating but we are still unbeaten in 8, so thats a bright note.

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-0 Dumbarton

Scorers: Deuchar (2)

Again, we were solid at the back, in particular Scott Walker, who seems a bargain at the 12k I payed for him. Kenny Deuchar scored his first goals of 2006, and his first for 7 games, which for a man of his goal-scoring ability must have seemed like forever. He kept playing well though, and creating chances for others. I think that next season we do still need a couple of strikers to strengthen the front line, but not just yet we dont.

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-1 Forfar

Scorers: Bingham (2)

I dont know why, but the Forfar manager seems to have something against me, because each time we have met he has said he doesn't want us to get promoted and he wants to hurt out chances. Luckily, they didn't today, although they gave us a scare by taking the lead inside 3 minutes, but 2 second half Bingham goals put us to within 2 points of Partick, and still going strong.

"Well we are almost a third of the way through the season, and it looks good to see the table at the moment"

"It would look nicer if we were top though but beggars can't be choosers"

"Partick are going to lose sometime, they have got to"

"We have to capitalise when they do though"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-0 Raith

Scorers: Bingham, Baldacchino, Juanjo

We are really going strong now, and the squad has so much strength in depth. Had to make 3 changes for this game through injuries and suspensions, and all 3 players got a rating of 8 in the match. We were 3 up at half time, and went through the 2nd half in cruise control, rarely having to get out of 1st gear. It wont be so easy all the time so we are glad to make the most of it when it is

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-0 Alloa

Scorers: Deuchar (2)

Another clean sheet, and another 3 points. We are getting more solid game by game, and Scott Walker and Juanjo have been unbelievable since we got them. A combined total of less than 20k between them and it was then who got an assist each, in giving Kenny another 2 goals for the season. We are really motoring now, and look good for promotion.

"Boss, boss....you will never guess what's happened"

"Go on, what?"

"Well we said that Partick had to get beat eventually. So..."

"You're joking? By who?"

"Morton. They scored a last gasp winner. They're 3rd so want the points themselves, but we've gone top now"

"We can't get complacent now though, we have to push on"

MORTON STUN LEAGUE LEADERS

In a dramatic late twist, Greenock Morton struck a cruel blow to Partick Thistle. An 88th minute winner sends Partick tumbling to 2nd place for the first time since September, and Gretna to the top of the table. Partick will feel aggrieved that they didn't take anything from the match, as they seemed to have the better of the hosts throughout the game.

So a third of the way through, and the league table is as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1 Gretna 27 21 3 3 +41 66

2 Partick 27 20 5 2 +46 65

3 Morton 27 17 6 4 +29 57

4 Raith 27 12 5 10 +7 41

5 Stirling 27 9 6 12 -6 33

</pre>

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-1 Stirling

Scorers: Bingham, Muirhead, Deuchar

We outplayed Stirling today, and it showed why we were 30 odd points ahead of them in 5th. I had a feeling that the defeat against Morton would have hurt Partick and they would come back with a bang so we had to keep sharp and keep winning. We played really well and deserved the 3 points

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 2-0 Ayr

Scorers; Bingham, Muirhead

Scott Muirhead scored for the second successive game, which was a rarity in itself. However, the 3 points wasn't, and we thoroughly deserved it after a preofessional and whole-hearted display, in which we had to be patient to break down a resilient Ayr side, who didn't make it easy for us. Give them full credit, but a hard earned win from the boys

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 1-1 Morton

Scorers: Bingham

A frustrating game this one. Morton knocked us off the top of the table, just like they did to Partick, but to be fair we were lucky to get away with a point. Morton were the better side but we sneaked a point through a David Bingham free-kick on 68 minutes. Really frustrating, having worked so hard to get to the top of the league

"That was so damn irritating Si. We worked so hard to get to the top of the league then with not long to go we blow the lead. Arrrgh!"

"Dont worry boss, that point guarantees us a play-off spot at least"

"That isn't the way I wanted to go up though. Still, we are in with a shout of winning the league, the game agaist Partick is massive, game of the season"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-0 Peterhead

Scorers: Bingham (2), Tosh

This was much better, solid at the back and incisive going forward. Bingham notched his 29th and 30th goals of the campaign with a free-kick and a deft lob over the keeper. Stevie Tosh netted the 3rd to seal the win, and keep us within touching distance of the leaders.

A sudden knocking wakes Nick with a start...

"Yes yes alright, I'm coming"

"Yes?"

"Nicholas Simpson?"

"Yes thats me. What's the problem?"

"Do you know a Mr....Simon Clifford"

"Yes, hes my assistant manager, and a very good friend. Is something wrong?"

"Well hes been involved in an attack, and has sustained some injuries. He is surrently in Gretna Generak Hospital"

"What? Hang on, let me get my coat and I will follow you down there"

"...will he be alright?"

"Yes, but he needs a couple of weeks rest and off work, and he should be fine. I believe he works for you?"

"Yes, he is my assistant manager down at Gretna, and a very close friend of mine. Can i go in and see him?"

"Not just yet I'm afraid, hes still sleeping. I will let you know when you can see gim"

"Ok, thanks, doc."

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 1-1 Forfar

This was the first game where I didn't have Simon by my side, and the team played as if they missed his presence. Not half as much as I did. We were dire in the game, creating very few chances and making uncharacteristic mistakes at the back. Scott Walker's presence was sorely missed, and we are now 4 points behind Partick. We play them next, it's a massive game

CHAMPIONSHIP CHALLENGE

In a game which is being billed as a title decider, Partick Thistle and Gretna go head-to-head in what is sure to be a tense and nervous encounter.If Partick win then they will near enough guarantee themselves the title, and the automatic promotion whereas if Gretna get the full quota of points, they will be level with the leaders on points and behind on goal difference. Will the pressure be too much for Partick, or will they overcome the resilient Gretna?

Archived