Square Pegs in Round Holes ; The Memoirs of Mick Duffy

sherm

Square pegs in round holes is a pretty apt title for my autobiography. For the first 30 plus years of my life, it is what I was trying to do. I had a playing career that would have lasted about two pages in this book, if that. A journeyman, starting at Falkirk, before spells with Queens Park, Stirling, East Fife and finally, Ross County. It was playing for County that I did make something of a name for myself, as I gradually became more of a coach, eventually becoming assistant to manger Neale Cooper. We achieved way beyond what we expected, as we reached the First Division in the 2000/01 season. That summer though, was a dark time, particularly for Neale. I had grown close to him over the previous four years, and we classed each other as friends, so when I found out about the death of his wife, I was as devastated as he was. It hit him hard, and understandably, he couldn't continue on in his role. He left the club on June 23rd, 2001.

I pulled up to the ground for pre-season training three days later, with the club still in limbo over a new boss. I was however, about to receive a shock when I got to Victoria Park. I was immediately summoned to Roy McGregor's office. Even though it was so many years ago, I still remember the conversation like it was yesterday

"Mick, I won't lie to you, we have had very few applicants for the job. The one's we have had, have been, well...you get the picture?"

"Yes, but where do I fit in Roy? Even though Neale has gone, I'm just the assistant manager"

"Well, I think it's time for that to change. You've been here four years now, you know the club aswell as anybody. It seems logical to me to promote you to manager"

Now at this point, I was stunned. I never expected to be asked to manage the team, and though shocked, I was flattered. There was however, one thing on my mind...

"Well, I am shocked Roy, and also flattered. However, I'm not sure I can do it"

"How do you mean?"

"Well, do you mind if I have a couple of days to think about it? There's somebody I need to speak to first"

Fortunately, Roy understood my point of view. He knew who I had to speak to. Neale was very supportive of me, encouraging me to take the job, telling me I had his blessing and good wishes, and so it was that on June 28th, 2001, I was officially announced as the new manager of Ross County.

---

Game on CM01/02. I started the story with the intention of making a career game, but I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to turn it into a story. I decided to write it in an autobiographical style, as I enjoy that style of writing. Hopefully, I can do it justice

Walking into the club was not a surprise to me, as I knew how it worked and how everything ran, but I would be lying if I said I had a dream job. The truth of the matter was that I was doing a job that really, nobody else wanted. Roy, and the rest of the board, were very pessimistic for the campaign, and they said they just wanted to stay in the Division. However, this would be a tall task. No transfer funds, very little on wages (it would be two years before I could offer more than £650 per week to anyone), and a stadium, in Victoria Park, that was in dire need of refurbishment. A capacity of 5,320 was pretty dismal.

I knew several of the players, so I was sure the transition wouldn't be a problem, but it was just a case of finding the right balance in the side.

We were very weak between the sticks, our strongest goalkeeper was 19 year old Stefan Gonet. Now don't get me wrong, he was a talented lad, but I felt he lacked the experience at this level. However, his deputy had even less, 17 year old Andrew Shearer. He was nowhere near ready for this level of football yet

David Mackay was the easy choice in the left back slot. The 25 year old was a decent player, and had all the necessary attributes, so I was pleased with having him in the squad. However, his back-up was, well, rubbish. Mark Perry was on the wrong side of 30, and though he could play all along the defence, I wasn't convinced that he was good enough. I felt I had the same problem on the right hand side, as the only real option I had was 26 year old Kenny Gilbert. He was average, at best, and unless I could find a replacement, he would have to do. We were a little stronger and had more bodies in the middle, and the two I earmarked for a starting role were 24 year old Canadian Richard Hastings, without doubt our best defender at the club, and 19 year old Martin Canning. Though he was the youngest member of the defensive players, I felt he was a real talent and would be more than good enough to cope with the standard. 36 year old Brian Irvine, though in his final playing year, still had talent and could be useful, while the other two were, well, not as good. Mark Slater was very prone to a mistake, and though he could read the game, he didn't have much pace. However, Ian Maxwell was worse. No pace, poor in the air and slow in a tackle, he wouldn't get much playing time if I could help it.

On the wings, we had plenty of talent. The star player was 28 year old French/Algerian Karim Boukraa. He was quick, could beat a man, had tricky feet and I felt he would be a source for plenty of our goals. However, were we to be unlucky and lose Karim, we only had a 16 year old as reserve. Though a talented lad, Craig Young could not play 30 odd games, and I wanted to slowly blood him in the side. The other wing looked set to be occupied by 30 year old John McQuade. The experienced midfielder was also a good candidate for the captaincy, and though I wouldn't usually give it to a midfielder, he was the standout option. Hugh Robertson looked like a regular starter, but he would be competing with another left footer, 28 year old Craig Taggart. Craig was an attack minded midfielder, while Hugh was all about defence, so depending on the circumstances may depend on which one played. Partnering them would be another tough choice, as I had to pick between Steven Ferguson, a 24 year old attacking midfielder, or the longest serving player at the club, 23 year old John Fraser. Both men were good players, and Steven had the added bonus of being an expert at free-kicks. The midfield wasn't too bad, but I still needed options

Then we got to the strikers. Three men were fighting for two places. Mark McCormick was a player I thought highly of, as he was a real prospect, and I had the 21 year old pencilled in for a starting place. The man to partner him was a little more difficult. Derek Holmes was not lethal in front of goal, but his ability to drop off and support the midfield made him a valuable asset. However, Argentinian Martin Hugo Prest didn't know what the word defending meant. He was an out and out centre forward, a big lad, good in the air, neat on the floor, and the three of them were charged with scoring enough goals to keep us up

Archived