My Journey in America

mytreds

After editing the database to give the USA better youth potential, better youth academies, and setting up an MLS academy league, I start the game with just the MLS loaded, large database of players.

My goal is to make the MLS a better league on a global scale.

newenglandrevolutionlog.jpg

2011 Season-ongoing 1909.png

Honors

US Cup 2007, 2011 1301415.png

SuperLiga 2008

Since New England is the only MLS team without a head coach I take charge, ignoring the Boston media that I'm too young and too inexperienced to take control of the Revs.

First order of business is to fill out my coaching staff.

Paul Braham-Fitness Coach

Noel Blake-1st Team Coach

Dario Sala-Scout

Ivan Pierra-Physio

Lloyd Barker-Coach

Formation: This was a tricky decision. My staff suggested 4-4-1-1, 4-2-1-2-1, and 4-4-2. All 3 seemed okay, but not really conventional for the team and their respective positions. After tinkering with a 4-2-4 thru preseason, I found that a 4-3-3 looks and works better, so that's the way I'm going into the season.

Transfers IN:

Guti-experienced MC from Spain who wanted to play in America. Signed on a DP slot

Jordan Graye-DR/L

Bill Gaudette-Matt Reis is a good keeper, but his eccentricity is a bit high for me, so I brought in Bill to be a good 2nd keeper if I get dissatisfied with Reis

Nana Attakora-decent CB to fill in depth

Christian Gimenez-experienced ST. Most of my STs are young uns so with 3 STs in my formation I need some experience and quality to help the youngsters.

Chris Islas-got him from Weighted Lottery. Seems a good prospect ST.

Transfers OUT:

Ryan Guy, Tim Murray, Alec Purdie, Kevin Garcia, Mike Roach-all let go on frees

Sainey Nyassi-overrated winger, sold for 150k

Kenny Mansally-overrated winger, sold for 80k

Ryan Kinne-unneeded winger, got 2 draft picks out of him

Fernando Cardenas-unneeded winger hated to give him up, seems like a really good prospect, got 1 pick for him

Preseason results:

Revs 2-0 Revs Reserves

FC Dallas Jrs 0-0 Revs

Puerto Rico Islanders 1-1 Revs

Fire Academy 0-3 Revs

The last game against the Fire Academy I switched to the 4-3-3 after 60 minutes and scored all the goals after that. Before that, lame draws resulted from the 4-2-4 formation.

So, starting the season, the 1st team is:

GK-Reis

DR-Alston

DL-Tierney

RCD-Attakora

LCD-Barnes

DM-Joseph

MC-Guti

AMC-Feilhaber

RST-Serka

CST-Gimenez

LST-Saer Sene

1st game of the season is against LA. Ouch. At least we get TV money out of the game...

Went into the game with the 4-3-3, hoping to put up a decent fight. Feilhaber actually drew 1st blood after 40 mins with a great solo effort. Went into halftime feeling good, Gaudette making some great saves.

2nd half is where all the hard work went kaput. Defense broke down under the LA onslaught. Gave up 1st goal to Magee, a nice long range effort, then a brace to Donovan, 2 cooly slotted efforts into the back of the net. Talk about taking the wind out of my team. The Revs never really recovered, and ended up losing 3-1. I'm not too concerned about the result, seems fair that LA should win by 2 goals against a team like us. We have to look forward and keep building up team cohesiveness to overcome lesser competition.

Okay so next up is Portland. The Timbers can be a tricky side but we are favored for being home, so hopefully the boys can get their 1st 3 points of the season.

A few injuries before the game-

Backup fullback Graye is out for 2 weeks on a chest injury

Canadian centerback Attakora out for 3-4 weeks on a twisted knee

Sene is back from injury so hopefully the big ST will be able to influence the game.

Starting lineup-

GK: Reis

DR: Alston

DL: Tierney

CB: Barnes

CB: Soares

DM: Joseph

CM: Guti

AM: Feilhaber

RST: Schilawski

CST: Sene

LST: Gimenez

Subs-

GK: Gaudette

DL: Polak

DMC: Simms

ST: Islas

DRC: Lozano

ST: Zerka

AMC: Rowe

After starting the game, the Revs create a good buildup and Sene gets a goal after 6:05, assisted by Feilhaber on a perfect thru-ball.

Going into halftime 1-nil up, overall pretty good performance. Gimenez and Soares though have ratings of 6.00 and 6.20 so I need them to get better ASAP or else they'll be subbed.

After the break, the Revs do keep the pressure up and grab a second goal at 56:36, by Soares from a Tierney corner kick. Good to see that and maybe Soares will play more confidently now.

A Palmer red card at 75:00 gives the Revs a man advantage, and Ralston makes it count with a solo goal, a blast into the top corner at 81:18.

3-nil is the final result. Much better game than last week against LA. Alston the MOTM and the feeling is good after getting a win at home.

Next up is Salt Lake. 4th in the East so far, and once again favored due to playing at home. Lozano was injured late last game against Portland and is out for a week or so for a strained neck. This means my only 2 CBs are Soares and Barnes.

Match preparation in my 4-3-3 formation is almost 100% so from here on out it'll be interesting to see how the boys due with this unconventional formation. Also, I can lower match training down and now maybe see some improved results on individual training. Still focusing on teamwork though, until the team really gels.

Starting lineup-

GK: Reis

DR: Alston

DL: Tierney

CB: Soares

CB: Barnes

DM: Joseph

CM: Guti

AMC: Feilhaber

RST: Islas

CST: Gimenez

LST: Sene

Giving the youngster Islas a go tonight, maybe he can impress me. Switching Gimenez and Sene since Sene is a lefty and Gimenez can use either foot.

Subs-

GK: Gaudette

AMC/ST: Fagundez

AMC: Rowe

ST: Schilawski

DL: Polak

DMC: Simms

ST: Zerka

After one half of play all is square. Both Real and the Revs have had good chances. The Revs defense looked more likely to be carved open the Salt Lake so that's one thing I need to watch for. It's also a bad sign when Fielhaber, my best player, has a sub 6 rating at the half.

Finally, after 80 minutes, Gimenez scores a powerful header on a pinpoint cross from Tierney. Then after taking a defensive mentality, we score again after 87 minutes, Soares from another corner by Tierney.

Full time is 2-0. Another home win, despite a pretty poor game before 80 minutes. But points are points and the Revs take them. The result puts us at 6 points and 3rd behind New York and Columbus, with a game in hand.

We have a short rest though, with a midweek clash away at Philly.

OK, so this upcoming midweek game is against Philly. This game is not for league, but a qualifier for the US Cup. Honestly, I'd like to do well in the cup, but if we lose, I'm not going to be hugely disappointed. Unfortunately, it looks like my ownership aims for a quarterfinal spot....sigh oh well, fingers crossed then!

Here's the current form of Philly and the Revs:

recentform.png

Philly hasn't won in their 1st 3 games, and to be fair, 2 of them were against tough LA and NY sides. I trust they'll be chomping at the bit to get a win against us, especially in front of their home fans.

Starting lineups:

lineups.png

Notes:

Polak given the start tonight to rest Tierney (who's done very well in the past few games).

Also giving Zerka his first start of the year. Still undecided on whether or not he'll fit into my system. He's not a natural striker, but rated 4 stars as a winger. If he doesn't impress me, I will have to sell him come the next transfer window.

Really hoping Feilhaber, Guti, and Joseph will start to click as the central midfield. I've seen flashes from Feilhaber, but overall my midfield hasn't done anything special. For now, I will give it time to foster, but will keep an eye on it and may have to do something come mid season.

Alston is at 92% so I know he'll be dog tired after this game. Unfortunately my back ups are injured so although I hate to see my players suffer from fatigue so early in the season, I have no other choice.

Also this game has us facing former Rev Sainey Nyassi. Hopefully he'll stink just as bad for Philly as he did for us.

Ok! Onto the game....

GOAL 4'

PHIL 0-1 NE

Feilhaber lays a beautiful pass to Gimenez who dribbles forward before striking a long shot into the upper corner of the net. No chance for a save from the Union keeper Johnson.

GOAL 25'

PHIL 1-1 NE

All square now as a corner swung in from Brad Davis meets the head of Valdes into the far corner of the net. Should have been a save from Reis.

In the 47', Joseph plays a long ball for Zerka to run onto into the penalty box. Williams shoves Zerka over inside the box and regains possession. Seems like a clear penalty but referee Prus waves away the protests of the New England players. I have a few choice words for Mr. Prus myself...

HALFTIME

PHIL 1-1 NE

It's game on for the 2nd half, really anyone's game. My team is tired and I can see changes coming sooner rather than later.

SUB 57'

Tierney for Polak: young lad played well, but was tiring. Hopefully Tierney can create a fresh spark.

Sene for Zerka: Zerka just never got going today. Again, hoping Sene will spark the offense.

SUB 73'

McCarthy for Joseph: Joseph played very well today, but was tired so a change was needed.

END OF 90'

Still all square 1-1. Extra time means tired players for Saturday's game against Houston. Now I want a win, because an ET loss means no reward for tired players.

GOAL 96'

PHIL 1-2 NE

Another Tierney corner results in a Soares goal. Brilliant, I love it when set pieces work.

HT in ET

PHIL 1-2 NE

FT in ET

PHIL 1-2 NE

Glad to get the win with a tired squad. Morale will be much better for it. Time to rest up before our league clash with Houston. The next round of the US Cup will have us face Chicago, one of our fierce rivals.

I knew it!

refbaddecision.png

Oh well, onto the next game!

Good grief, 4 games in 7 days...I'll be grateful if we can live through this mess.

First is Houston, league game #4 for us. The Dynamo have won 3 out of 4 so far this season, their loss coming from NY. Houston's home field gives them the slight advantage.

Starting lineup-

1742011lineup.png

Tired players all around, but with 4 games in 7 days, who won't be? This is going be tricky

Kickoff...

HT 0-0

What a boring game. Plenty of chances, but zero goals. I guess I can't expect much from tired players, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Backups are getting valuable playing time in order for regulars to rest. I'd just wish they'd get me points like the regulars do.

GOAL NEW ENGLAND 85' 0-1

Young Frenchman Saer Sene receives a pass from Tyler Polak inside the box and strikes a fierce curler into the net. Geez, are the only goals my guys score screamers?

GOAL HOUSTON 94' 1-1

A pass from Nathan Sturgis finds Colin Rolfe wide open and onside in the box. Easy goal as Reis didn't come out quick enough to gather in the shot. Disappointing defense really. Claims abound for offsides, but replays show the ref made the right call. I am pissed because it came at 93:23 when 3' added time was awarded. Friggin' FM.

So one point for the Revs as the get to look forward to 3 more games in less than a week. Here we go....

Here's how the tables look after 5 games

1742011table.png

1742011table2.png

Happy to be in the mid table so far. As predicted, LA and NY have sizable leads on their conferences already. Things seem more competitive in the West, with 2 points separating 3rd from 8th. I'm 3 points clear in 5th and another 3 points will catapult me up to 2nd. I'll need a win from the upcoming DC United game to make that happen. Overall, not bad so far.

OK, so next up is DC United, 2 days after our last draw with Houston.

dcunitedform.png

I guess the good news is DC United's form has been poor, and I'm playing at home. Still, DC United's next game is NY, so I'm sure they'll want points from us since they know that NY takes no prisoners.

Here's today's lineup

lineup1942011.png

Again, tired bodies out there. A chance for some of the lads filling in to prove their worth (or not)

Kickoff...

GOAL 7' Soares OG 0-1

Ok this is just stupid. Throw in from Daniel Woolard goes to Josh Wolff, who in turn crosses it into the box. Then Soares, oblivious to all of this, has the ball bounce of his back and cannon into the goal.

GOAL 16' Schilawski 1-1

Well worked goal to equalize after the stupidity of FM to create a dumb OG. Jordan Graye brings the ball down the right flank and passes to Schilawski, who on the edge of the box powers in a shot into the top corner past a flailing Bill Hamid. Game on.

GOAL 42' Dudar 1-2

Superb freekick from Emiliano Dudar just outside the box. I have Gaudette in goal today, his first time back from giving up 3 to LA at the start of the season. He's not helping his cause right now...

HT New England 1-2 DC Utd

At the break, the team really isn't doing well, despite the goal by Schilawski. I give them an assertive team talk in hopes they can pull it together. Honestly though, if they fail to comeback, I can only sympathize, since they are being played out by the schedule.

GOAL 74' Russell OG 2-2

Sweet justice. A long throw from Barnes causes confusion in the United defense and Robbie Russell inadvertently puts the ball into the back of his team's net. Can we get one more for the win?

GOAL 86' Barnes 3-2

The comeback is complete! As Tierney swings in a corner goalkeeper Hamid comes out to punch, but Darrius Barnes misdirects the ball with his head into the goal on a bounce. The fans are going crazy!

FT New England 3-2 DC Utd

What a game! Great to see that the Revs equalized after a fluke OG, then score late in the game for the win. Set pieces won this game for us, which is fantastic when my players are too tired to score conventional goals right. Very happy to get the 3 points and proud of the boys to grab their deserved win.

Individual performances-

GOOD-Barnes (7.7), goal and assist, and Schilawski (7.2), goal, helped get the win

BAD-Rowe (6.0) and Gaudette (6.5) didn't play well. Rowe understandably since he's a more natural AMC than an MC. Gaudette didn't do well for a GK and was lucky the offense was 3 goals better than the 2 goals he let in.

So here's the table after that result-

table1942011.png

Looking ahead- Vancouver in 2 days time. Ugh...

Oh and by the way, I sold Monsef Zerka for a 1st round draft pick and a 2 year DP slot. He was really a winger, not a striker, so I got what he was worth and sent him to a team who can use him better than I can.

zerkatransfer.png

Let's take a peek at the upcoming schedule shall we?

sched2142011.png

So, after a draw with Houston, I scrape a win against DC Utd. Now for some stiffer competition in Vancouver and Kansas, then a rival cup match against Chicago. All early tests for my team, and for me, a young new coach in the MLS.

I'm away to Vancouver, which means they are favored for home advantage and I need to pack my heavy coat for the touchline. 32 degrees with breezes and sleet?Brrrr! Anyway, here's my lineup-

lineup2142011.png

Lozano is back from injury, so he provided much needed relief for my centerbacks. Boggs isn't a traditional center mid, but right now I need him to play so Feilhaber can rest up. Fagundez is starting as a poaching ST today in the hopes that the young Argie will grab a goal. I'm also hoping that Gaudette has a better game. He's lacking in match fitness so maybe that's why he was so poor last time.

Kickoff...

GOAL 6' Hassli 1-0

Not a good start for us and Gaudette is to blame. Lee Young-Pyo drives in a shot which Gaudette bumbles. Eric Hassli is there and slots the ball into the net. Frustrating.

GOAL 40' DeMerit 2-0

From bad to worse for Gaudette. Nguyen swings in a corner which Jay DeMerit meets for the headed goal. My keeper has to take charge in those situations. I hate to do it, but Reis is going in at the half.

HT Vancouver 2-0 New England

Bad bad bad bad bad. No one is playing well. I pull Gaudette for Reis. I give them a stern talk hoping for the best.

FT Vancouver 2-0 New England

Boring 2nd half. No real scoring chances from my team, they just never got it going today. FM says it was Soares' fault for the 2nd goal, but I still blame Gaudette, he needs to command his area.

Individual performances

GOOD: Tierney (6.9)

BAD: Everyone else

I tell the boys they were unlucky tonight, and most seemed happy and gained confidence.

How the East looks after that game

table2142011.png

I stay where I am for now as the only other game that played today was DC vs NY. DC won that game 2-1 so fair play to them for handing NY their 1st loss.

A draw, a win, and a lose in 5 days time. Not bad? Kansas is coming up in a few days, so we're back on the plane and headed for home.

Before our next match against Sporting Kansas, I'll take a look at both squads' recent form.

recentform2342011.png

5 days, 3 games, 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss for us. Kansas has dropped their last 3 games and sit at 8th in the East. We are easily favored for this match and I expect a win under normal circumstances, but this is our 4th game in 7 days time, thus I hope for the best with tired legs.

Also of note, my top goal scorers have 2 goals apiece-and one of them is my centerback Soares! Not good so far this season in a formation with 3 strikers. Luckily, as you can see, Kansas hasn't had much luck either.

Here's my starting 11 for tonight's game-

lineup2342011.png

Reis is back between the sticks, and barring some catastrophe, he'll remain there the rest of the season. Sorry Gaudette, you really aren't cut out for top flight soccer. My offense seems to be in better condition than my defense, so that's something to watch for this game. I would talk about specific changes, but since there are so many, I won't since there's been huge rotations to compensate for so many games in such a short time.

Kickoff...

HT New England 0-0 Sporting Kansas

My team has had possession and chances, but we can convert any of them. Alston went off injured in the 12', then his substitute Graye was injured but stayed on about 20' after that! Good grief.

FT New England 0-0 Sporting Kansas

What a boring game, but seeing as my lads are tired, I should consider myself lucky we didn't go up against stiffer competition.

Player performance

GOOD: Barnes (7.6), Polak (7.4) my defenders played well despite being tired

BAD: Gimenez (6.0), Sene (6.5) my strikers need to start producing or else we're in trouble. This is the 2nd game in a row without scoring. Obviously, you can't win if you don't score, so let's not make this a trend, shall we boys?

East Conference table after Saturday's results

table2342011.png

We've dropped to 4th, but it's not all bad. We're 3 points clear of 5th and only 4 points away from 1st. So not bad all around after a strenuous week of games. Our next game is in 4 days against rivals Chicago in the US Cup. Hopefully we can rest up fully, get the regulars out there, and grab the win.

After last week's game against Kansas, my squad pays the price for playing 4 games in one week

alstoninjury.png

polakinjury.png

I have Tierney and Graye to fill in, but Alston is a key player, and now I have no backups for my wingbacks.

Next game is the US Cup 2nd round qualifier, and against rivals Chicago Fire. The last 3 games for Chicago have been 0-0 against Portland, 2-1 against LA, and 1-2 against Houston. They are in 5th in the East, so we are evenly matched for this game.

Lineup-

lineup2742011.png

Normal lineup is slowly getting back to 100%. Lozano is on the right wing since Graye isn't fully fit. The regular strike team of Sene, Gimenez, and Schilawski I'm hoping will bag goals today.

Kickoff...

GOAL 29' Gimenez 1-0

I chatted with Gimenez between games about his lack of good form and goals. Seems like the talk has paid off. A long ball from Tierney is picked up by Logan Pause near the box. The strong forward Sene wrestles the ball away from him and finds Gimenez streaming into the box to slot the ball into the net.

GOAL 32' Gimenez 2-0

He's raring to go today and is already working on a hat trick. A poor back pass from Tony Beltran is picked up by Gimenez before the goalkeeper can reach it. He easily slots home his 2nd of the day.

HT New England 2-0 Chicago

Good play by the team so far. Obviously the rest of 4 days instead of 2 really makes a team perform better. I give them a passionate talk to keep things up for the 2nd half.

GOAL 60' Nyarko 2-1

Chicago has applied pressure to the defense since the half time break and the result pays off. Puppo shoots on target but Reis can only push the ball away. Patrick Nyarko is there for the rebound and poaches a goal for Chicago to put them back in the game.

GOAL 82' Puppo 2-2

Chicago complete the comeback, and I'm tearing my notes up on the sideline. Nyarko dispossess Guti, and then races down the flank on the counter. He picks out Federico Puppo in the box who takes the ball between two defenders, then jukes around Reis like a cheeky boy and scores easily.

FT New England 2-2 Chicago

Exciting stuff for fans, but absolute frustration for me. Off we go into ET.

GOAL 109' Soares 3-2

Once again, AJ Soares' head meets a Tierney corner into the net. The fans go nuts, but I'm calm on the sideline because there is still time left for an equalizer.

GOAL 121' Pause 3-3

I knew it. Chicago were playing too well for it to end just in ET. Logan Pause runs into the box uncovered and takes a pass from outside box by Nyarko. He blasts it into the net to equalize and surely take both teams into penalties.

PENALTIES

Nyarko MISS over the bar 0-0

Gimenez GOAL 1-0

Pappa MISS GK save 1-0

Joseph GOAL 2-0

Pause GOAL 2-1

Schilawski MISS over the bar 2-1

Puppo GOAL 2-2

Reis GOAL 3-2

Robayo GOAL 3-3

Soares GOAL 4-3

FT New England 2-2 Chicago, New England wins on penalties 4-3

Another heart racing US Cup game. I'm glad we got the win especially since we gave up a 2-nil lead in the 2nd half. Onto our next league clash against Chivas in 3 days time.

After a thrilling penalty win against Chicago in the US Cup 2nd qualifier round, the Revs take on Chivas USA. Hopefully the return for us to Carson will be different than our last encounter here versus LA.

matchpreview3042011.png

Looking at Chivas USA's form, good results against Columbus and San Jose, plus home field and 7 days rest since their last game. This means we probably have a tough game ahead.

My lineup tonight-

lineup3042011.png

This is the last game that's on short rest in this past week or so. We have tired bodies still out there, so I'm not seeing how we can win here today. Attakora has to play right FB since Graye isn't fit and Fagundez starts for Gimenez, who is tired. Simms also gets the nod for the tired Joseph.

Tonight's matchups-

matchups3042011.png

Chivas send out a standard 4-4-2. Not too familiar with Chivas, though I know Heath Pearce can be a danger if not closed down on the flank.

Kickoff...

GOAL 44' Fagundez 0-1

We've had good possession the whole half and now it pays off. Islas plays a ball back to Tierney, who then lays a pass through to Diego Fagundez who shoots and a deflection off a defender puts the ball into the net for the Argentine's 1st career goal. He looks delighted!

HT Chivas USA 0-1 New England

Fair play for the Revs so far and we find ourselves with a lead going into the locker room. But twice this year we've squandered leads in the 2nd half, so I'm a bit wary. I have to sub Tierney over the break since he is dead tired.

GOAL 65' Schilawski 0-2

Another set piece goal. New England win a freekick and Guti swings a beauty into the box. Zack Schilawski meets the ball and his first effort is only parried by the keeper. He gets to the rebound and blasts in the Revs' second goal.

FT Chivas USA 0-2 New England

Great result that could've gone the other way if we weren't careful. Chivas could've have a few goals more but ultimately didn't so we're lucky to steal these 3 points away from home

Player performance

GOOD: Many of the 1st team, but Nana Attakora gets the MOTM award with a 7.8 rating. He made up for his dreadful initial start to the season with a solid game in an unfamiliar position today.

BAD:No one

Let's take a look at the East after today's games-

table30421.png

We move into 3rd with a game in hand. Phew! Now we can actually get a long 6 days rest before our next game against Colorado.

Let's take a quick look at May's upcoming games

upcominggames.png

:applause: Much better! 5 games in one month is better than 9 games! We also see Vancouver and LA again very soon, which is odd, but at least it gets those games out of the way.

And a look at the league table after April's games

aprileasttable.png

aprilwesttable.png

Things are beginning to shape up in each division as the serious clubs contending for playoff spots are separating from the bottom feeders. The West has a huge margin from 1st to last, a whopping 15 points, and LA has a 10 point lead over the midtable sides and the 4th place Sounders are 4 points clear of 5th place FC Dallas. In the East, NY is 17 points from poor Philly, but only 2 points clear from 2nd place Houston. I sit pretty at 3rd, 4 points from the top with an extra game played. Interesting to see the newcomers in the West heading different directions, with the Whitecaps doing well in 2nd, but the Timbers lagging in 7th. And holders Colorado are having a terrible time defending their title as the languish in 6th.

Alrighty then, let's take on Colorado. They've lost their last 3 games in a row so I'm hoping for a good result in front of our home fans.

Starting lineup-

lineup752011.png

WOOT! Look at all those rested players, rearing and ready to go. Feels good to see my starting 11 fresh. I have all the regulars going except I have Attakora at right FB again, maybe he can have a repeat performance.

The matchups-

matchup752011.png

Colorado coming out with a modified 4-5-1 or maybe a 4-2-1-2-1. Nyassi is on the pitch against us tonight, so we'll see if he burns his former team. No Omar Cummings? Strange, but Conor Casey can score too. They have 3 center mids like I do, so the midfield will be congested. It'll be up my wingbacks to outplay their wingers.

Kickoff...

HT New England 0-0 Colorado

So far nothing doing for either side. The Revs have had most of the possession, but long range shots mean nothing is going in the net.

GOAL 77' Soares 1-0

Thank goodness for set pieces. Tierney corner kick, Soares out muscles Nyassi to the ball and slots home the goal. It's been a boring, disappointing game up to this point so let's hope they can get 3 points and go home happy.

FT New England 1-0 Colorado

Frontmen had a poor game but my defense played well to hand the Rapids their 4th loss in a row and grab 3 points.

Player Performance

GOOD: A few players with Attakora once again grabbing the MOTM award with a 7.6 rating

BAD: Both Schilawski at 6.1 and Guti at 6.5 didn't play well today. Guti really hasn't impressed me yet at all. Also, another game in which the front 3 couldn't get a goal. Either more time to gel or a change up is going to fix this.

Updated table-

table752011.png

NY beats LA 3-2 to stay 4 points above 2nd, which is now occupied by the Revs! Columbus also leap frogs Houston with a win over Seattle and a Houston loss to Toronto.

Next weekend is a rematch against Vancouver at home. The boys are eager to get back at the Whitecaps.

Ok, so even with Ralston, this might be considered a luxury signing...

parnabysigning.png

His contract will terminate at the end of the year, so it's not like I'm wasting gobs of money. I'm well under the cap, so I figure 5.7k a week for 4 months won't hurt me too bad. Plus now I'll have greater depth at wingback come July 5th.

Going up against Vancouver, we have a couple things going for us. Vancouver have lost 3 straight, are winless in 6 and slipped out of 2nd into 4th in the West. But this is FM- usually when I have a team with good form going up against a team with bad form, chances of winning are 50-50. Plus this is the MLS, unless your LA or NY it can be a real crapshoot.

Anyway here is my lineup-

lineup1452011.png

Schilawski gets the start since Sene hasn't played well lately. Attakora is back at right FB after 2 great starts there.

Tonight's matchup-

matchup1452011.png

The Whitecaps throw a 4-4-2 diamond at us. Last time Young-Po and Nguyen played well against us and DeMerit is know to be a force on that back line, so it's up to us to perform tonight.

Kickoff...

GOAL 30' Soares 1-0

Another set piece goal, sort of. Tierney swings in a corner, but cleared away by the defender. Soares gathers up the ball and plays it back to Tierney. Tierney centers the ball the Feilhaber who then lays the ball to Soares who then slots the ball home for the opening goal.

HT New England 1-0 Vancouver

Good play and possession by the boys so far. We go into halftime with a slim lead that we need to build on in order to win this game.

GOAL 68' Simms 2-0

Wow, talk about a goal out of nothing. Substitute Sene runs down the wing to cross a ball into the box. Simms is there ahead of the defender and out jumps him to head to ball into the net.

FT New England 2-0 Vancouver

Good game all around by the players, kept the ball well, finishing could have been better but a win is a win.

Player performances

GOOD: This week it's AJ Soares with the MOTM honors at a 8.2 rating

BAD: Young stirker Islas never got going at a 6.5 rating

Front 3 still couldn't find the net, but as long as Soares keeps scoring goals, can I complain? He's the Revs top league scorer at 4 goals right now.

East Conference as it stands-

table1452011.png

Back into 2nd place over Houston who drew today. Only a point away from 1st, but NY have 2 games in hand over us. The win also puts us a point clear from 4th and 5 points clear of 5th.

Ahead is San Jose next week.

Now we're facing San Jose, my homecoming of sorts. I went to college here at SJSU, and went to quite a few 'Quakes games when I was younger. Anyway, San Jose has been at the bottom of the pile most of the season, but recently they've gotten some good results so we can't take them lightly.

My starting 11-

lineup2152011.png

The usual 11 out there tonight. Tyler Polak came back from injury, but isn't fit enough to get a bench spot yet.

The matchup-

matchup2152011.png

Unlike most MLS teams, I am actually very familiar with Yallop's squad. The frontmen Wondolowski and Lenhart can be dangerous, Wondo with his ability and Lenhart with his knack for drawing penalties. Interesting to see Corrales in the midfield, not his natural position, and Szetela as a FB instead of center mid. We usually do well against 4-4-2 formations.

Kickoff...

Ahh, Buckshaw Stadium. Such charm for a little college stadium ground. It'll be good for the 'Quakes when their new stadium opens in a few years, but I'll always remember the good times I had here as a young kid cheering for the 'Quakes.

GOAL 25' Lenhart 1-0

The 'Quakes draw first blood. Justin Morrow pumps the ball into the box where an open Stephen Lenhart is waiting. He heads the ball home and runs over to the sidelines to celebrate. New England claiming offsides, and looking at the replay, it was a close call indeed.

GOAL 35' Sene

A long ball down the wing is picked up by Danny Szetela, but is soon wrestled away by Schilawski. Schilawski centers the ball to Saer Sene in the box, who then blasts the equalizer into the net.

GOAL 47' Wondolowski 2-1

Darn it ref why do you give 2 minutes into extra time when the 4th official gives you ONE MINUTE!?!?! Szetela crosses in a ball in front of Attakora and Reis, both unable to contend with Chris Wondolowski as he heads the ball in to retake the lead.

HT San Jose 2-1 New England

I'm pretty frustrated right now. Defending has been poor and my midfield has failed to retain possession for much of this match. Team talk will need to fire up these boys so they don't get embarassed today.

GOAL 58' Wondolowski 3-1

Now I'm livid. Attakora dispossesses Salinas, but the ball goes right to Wondolowski again and he scores his second of the day. I make two subs, but I know this game is beyond us now.

GOAL 69' Lenhart 4-1

I'm giving out fines after this match. Szetela pumps in a freekick which Lenhart drives in for his second goal. ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL!

FT San Jose 4-1 New England

I quickly get them into the locker room so I can give them all the hairdryer treatment. Fines to be handed out soon, as well as some individual talks about how crappy they played. Not the way I wanted my return to Buckshaw to be.

Player performances

GOOD: No one

BAD: Everyone

Table as it stands-

table2152011.png

Houston lost to NY and Columbus drew, thus we stay at 2nd, but it's a three way tie for the position. NY powers ahead 5 points clear with still a game to play. San Jose now has 10 points this season. WTF guys?!?

Surprisingly, I have a change of heart and just hand out warnings to those who played poorly against San Jose. Except for Guti. He's sucked all season, and when you make 50,000/wk, I'm gonna fine you for that money your wasting my team.

Going up against Columbus next for the US Cup 3rd qualifying round. Why the US Cup makes MLS sides play to get in, but not PDL or NASL or USLPro sides is beyond me. Whatever.

Lineup-

lineup2552011.png

Benching Guti cause his form for a player with his ability is horrendous right now. Also benching Reis due to his horrid game on Saturday. Gaudette is fully fit so he should have no excuses for sucking today. Putting Graye back at rightback, but leaving Attakora on the bench as a sub. Gimenez also on the bench to contemplate his recent form as well.

Matchups-

matchup2552011.png

Facing another 4-4-2. Mansally returning against us today. Gaven can be a threat on the wing.

Kickoff...

GOAL 4' Soares 1-0

I think this is the only way we'll score this year. Another Tierney corner finds Soares' foot, and then the defender puts it away just past the outstretched Hesmer.

HT New England 1-0 Columbus

Another slim lead going into halftime. Soares would've had another goal, but Hesmer had a nice save. Columbus still look threatening so we need to build on that first goal. I don't want to go to penalties again!!

GOAL Villafana 1-1

Oh gosh another slop goal. Defense does well to cope with a cross into the box, but Gaudette only pushes the ball away then gets caught in a tumble with his own defender. Villafana is there to poach the goal with an empty net.

GOAL 91' Islas

What a time to grab his first goal! From the middle of the park McCarthy plays a perfect through ball to Chris Islas. Islas keeps his composure one-on-one with Hesmer and slots home what should be the winning goal.

FT New England 2-1 Columbus

Phew! A cup game that ends in normal time. Very glad to be through, especially on Islas' first goal of his career.

Player performance

GOOD: Soares got a goal and gets the MOTM honors with a 7.8 rating. Gaudette also made some key saves today which was good to see.

BAD: Sene and Joseph didn't have an effect in this game with 6.5 ratings.

Saturday's game keeps us at home against LA. Hopefully we can grab a point from the mighty Donovan and Co.

Another mid season signing. I normally wouldn't sign Brazilians (overrated and overpriced), but this contract is for one season and I figure it wouldn't hurt to have another experienced striker at the helm.

reinaldosigning.png

LA is in town and before the game I have a quick look at both teams' form-

laform2852011.png

:blink: Good grief! Donovan has blitzed for 11 goals and Robbie Keane has 8! 19 goals between the two, while my guys have obviously struggled to get that many goals so far this season. Gonna be a tough day I reckon.

Lineup-

lineup2852011.png

Since I had a US Cup game midweek that means Polak and Simms get starts to rest Tierney and Feilhaber. I'm benching Guti again just for emphasis, so McCarthy gets a start too. Attakora starts again at right FB since Ralston is STILL injured and Graye isn't fit. Gaudette also gets a start in the hopes that he can reclaim his pride from last game against LA, and he did well against Columbus in the US Cup 3rd round quals.

Matchups-

matchup2852011.png

What a team...Donovan, Becks, Dunviant, Juninho, Keane, Franklin...will be tough for us tonight, definitely a David/Goliath setup. The pundits say the Revs' good form against LA's team means a draw tonight, but I think he's being generous. We'll be lucky to get any points tonight.

Kickoff...

We have a good crowd here tonight, which is encouraging since our last few home games have only drawn around 9,000. LA being in town helps the draw of fans, so hopefully our lads will be inspired to play well in front of 17,000+.

GOAL 11' Barnes OG 0-1

Long ball into the box finds Robbie Keane. In an attempt to get the ball Barnes foots the ball past his keeper for an own goal.

GOAL 18' Sene 1-1

Schilawski plays a neat ball into the box to an onside Saer Sene. Sene cooly slots the goal and we are all even. Good to see a positive response despite the early letdown with an own goal. But can we build on this?

HT New England 1-1 Los Angeles

Holding on by a thread. What makes it worse is that last time against LA we had a LEAD going into halftime. This game we're drawn, though honestly we should be ahead if it wasn't for the boneheaded error by Barnes. I try telling my team that things are going well and I'm pleased but most of them switch off or lose focus. Sometimes this new team talk thing in FM 12 is a royal pain.

GOAL 46' Sene 2-1

Wow! What a start after the half. We kickoff, keep the ball well, and work it nicely into the box where Sene again receives a beautiful pass from McCarthy, stays onside and then slots the ball past Saunders to give the Revs the lead.

GOAL 90' Stephens 2-2

Injuries to Gimenez and Soares bring my squad down to 9 men since I don't have any subs left. Predictably a cross into the box finds Stephens and he scores a fine effort.

FT New England 2-2 Los Angeles

Really disappointed that we couldn't win. We played well the whole game, but some dirty play by LA means I lose two players to injury. LA then takes advantage of the 9-man Revs to level the game and steal a point. Referee also didn't seem to like us today, giving my players yellow cards for ticky-tack fouls, while the LA players repeatedly bruised up my team without penalty.

Player performance

GOOD: Saer Sene gets the MOTM with two goals today and a 8.8 rating. Really did well for us and he could've had a hattrick on multiple occasions.

BAD: Barnes with his OG.

Most of the team had average ratings so I'm glad we got at least a draw out of this. We should have won if a)Barnes hadn't clattered the ball into his own net and b)the ref would call the game both ways. BE CONSISTENT.

Here's what the table looks like-

table2852011.png

We fall into 3rd as Houston beats local rivals Dallas, though we still have a game in hand over Houston. Columbus though still has 2 games in hand over us, so watch out- we could drop even further.

Ok time for the monthly update-

junboardconfidence.png

Obviously I'm ticked at the San Jose loss too, but what can I do about it? It's not like I can play on the field. Attakora has been a good signing and I'm glad we got him. I'm also pleased that we turned a profit last month. I don't want to be putting this club in financial ruin.

A look at the tables-

juneeasttable.png

junewesttable.png

NY is just unbelievable. Even if I get into the playoffs, hard to see how we can get past them. We are right in the thick of things at 4th, but so far the East looks less competitive than the West. It's only 18 points from Colorado to LA, so anything can still happen there. I mean look at Vancouver- they had a bad month of May, so now they've dropped from 2nd to 5th, 14 points from LA.

Taking a look at the June calendar...

junecalendar.png

Gah, more fixture congestion this month 5 MLS games, plus maybe a US Cup match, depends on how we are drawn.

The first game in June is against FC Dallas and is the first of two back to back road games (the next being against NY...great...). Dallas' form has been poor recently, winless in 4 and losing their last 3, so we're keen to capitalize on that.

Lineup-

lineup462011.png

Joseph, Feilhaber, and Attakora are away on international duty, while Gimenez, Alston, and Soares are injured. That leaves me with 6 subs (I had to pull up Smith from the reserve team). Luckily my guys are rested, so hopefully not too much subbing will be needed.

Yikes! A quick look at the bookings stat: 1) DC Utd 25 2)New England 24 3)LA 23...we need to cut back on fouls!

Matchup-

matchup462011.png

Dallas going with a flat 4-5-1 tonight. Luna is a youngster with potential, while Sam Cronin can control the midfield if not checked.

Kickoff...

Not a whole lot of fans here...c'mon supporters! Who are ya?

HT Dallas 0-0 New England

Both sides have possession, both have had chances, just no breakthrus yet. My guys keep passing and clearing the ball straight to Dallas players so that needs to stop or else we're in trouble. During the end of the half, passing seemed better, lets hope our scoring improves too.

GOAL 80' Jacobsen 1-0

Our poor play leads to a late goal and a probable loss. A corner swung in by Jeremiah White is lost in a tussle of attackers and defenders. When the ball does come out it is popped in by Jacobsen from outside the box and gives Dallas the game's first, and maybe only goal.

GOAL 82' Schilawski 1-1

Goodness, we may get something from this game yet. The Revs have pegged Dallas right back thanks to Chris Schilawski. The young midfielder Fagundez works his way towards the box, lays it to Schilawski and the striker puts a beautiful shot into the top corner. Hartman looks livid. I'm ecstatic.

FT Dallas 1-1 New England

Our road woes continue and we barely survive the bluster with a Schilawski goal, which he is happy to get in order to end his goal drought.

Player performances

GOOD: Graye, Barnes, Simms, and Schilawski had good games with ratings over 7

BAD: Islas and substitute midfielder Rowe were on the low end at 6.5, but their young and cheap, so I have no worries about them.

The table as it stands-

table462011.png

The Revs stay put at 4th with Chicago idle and and Houston losing big to San Jose 4-nil. Too bad we couldn't get all 3 points and capitalize on Houston's loss. Man, is San Jose clicking or what?

So here we go, New York v New England, New Jersey v Boston. We aren't bitter rivals, but local rivals and as such we battle on close turf. This is our first big game in my opinion. NY has run amok this season, winning like nobody's business. What a statement if we could pull off an upset here today. And maybe my owner Mr. Kraft will be here watching and see what a gem RedBull Arena is and get our own soccer stadium built.

Lineup today-

lineup1162011.png

Lozano is in today for the injured Soares, Attakora playing on the right wing, Guti back in the lineup, but playing in the center of the 3 midfielders, and Schilawksi/Sene/Islas up front.

Matchup-

matchup1162011.png

Tierry Henry...the legend of Arsenal and France. I have great respect for the guy and my defense needs to be at it's best to stop him.

Kickoff...

HT New York 0-0 New England

NY has been dominating my guys so far, but we are playing well, not conceding and we even have had a few decent chances. Hold on guys! Keep playing your socks off!

GOAL 64' Schilawski 0-1

Wow! After a long run of NY possession, a failed NY corner kick allows Feilhaber to clear the ball to Zack Schilawski on the wing. With New England on the break, the NY defenders are left helpless as the striker slots a great goal past the NY keeper. Fantastic individual effort!

GOAL 74' Schilawski 0-2

Amazing! Simply amazing! New England have scored twice in 10 minutes and may well get the win. Simms plays a long through ball into the box with a free, onside Schilawski waiting. The striker again slots to the ball into the corner of the net and give New England a much needed 2 goal lead.

GOAL 81' Lozano 0-3

I'm jumping on the sideline! I don't care if I look crazy, but I'm going wild! Another set piece goal and this time it's Lozano who heads in a Feilhaber corner to give the Revs a commanding lead and most certainly the win. Vuolo didn't even move.

FT New York 0-3 New England

Stunner. Absolute stunner. I asked the boys to play today and boy did they play. Interesting that midway after the 1st goal I changed the formation to 4-4-2 with 3 centermids and a holder midfielder. After that we got two more goals and controlled the game. Drinks all around!!

Player performance

GOOD: Amazingly, almost everyone has over a 7 rating, but Zack Schilawski has an amazing turnaround, going from a 6.1 to 8.8 rating in the game and grabbing 2 key goals along with the MOTM honors.

BAD: Islas was bad today with 5.9 to show for it, but he's young and was overpowered by more formidable defenders.

So! Here's how the table looks like now-

table1162011.png

We're back into 3rd with Columbus idle (and has 3 games in hand!) and Houston winning. We still have a game on Houston, but New York has a game on us. However we beat them handily today, so at 6 points out of first, we're still feeling good.

After beating NY, we all want to celebrate all night long and then some, but we have Toronto FC now on Wednesday. They are in 8th place. If you want to be the best team, you beat the best teams. But to stay the best team you need to beat the bad teams too! Everything we worked for Saturday will be gone if we lose this one at home.

My lineup-

lineup1562011.png

Changes are Graye in at right FB with Attakora in his natural role as a CB. After doing so well with the 4-1-3-2 last game against NY, I'm setting it up in my match preparation. But for now I'm keeping the same 4-3-3 until further notice.

Matchup-

matchup1562011.png

Obviously not the NY or LA level of talent here, but still dangerous. De Guzman and Frings anchor that midfield and the tall Ryan Johnson can be a force with his head up front.

In other news, this game will be Matt Reis' 200th club appearance for the Revs. A proud day for him and the club, so lets grab a win, eh boys?

Kickoff...

GOAL 27' Avila 0-1

We've had possession the whole game, but TFC get the first goal from a Dunfield corner. Eric Avila is unmarked and scores an easy header. C'mon guys!

GOAL 28' Schilawski 1-1

That's more like it! Right from kickoff, the boys have a fire lit under them. They work the ball well and Tierney centers the ball to Zack Schilawski, who from the edge of the box fires a pinpoint goal into the far corner. Game on boys.

GOAL 39' Joseph 2-1

A Tierney corner kick lands at Shalrie Joseph's feet and the center mid fires home easily for the Revs second goal and Joseph's first goal of the season. That goal also gives Tierney his 10th assist of the year.

HT New England 2-1 Toronto

Looking good despite giving up a goal so far. No one is playing bad, really, all about above average right now. Depending on how the 2nd half plays I might change formations to the 4-1-3-2, but we'll see. We need another goal to cement the win.

GOAL 57' Attakora 3-1

He just can't be stopped. Tierney swings across another corner and Nana Attakora heads the ball home. There's the 2 goal advantage we needed. Delightful stuff from the guys today, they look really up for it.

GOAL 72' Schilawski 4-1

He's scoring for fun at the moment! A Revs throw in leads to some good pass and move play from the Revs, culminating in a goal from Schilawski slotted into the net. Beautiful.

FT New England 4-1 Toronto

Lovely stuff today from the Revs. They showed real class against a team that should be beaten. A great win all around.

Player perfromance

GOOD: Everyone had a rating over 7 today, but the best players were Attakora (8), Schilawski (8.8), and Tierney (8.8) who also got the MOTM honors with his 3 assists. Well done boys!

BAD: No one.

Table after today's result-

table1562011.png

Only three games in action today, so with Houston idle I jump ahead of them by 2 points, and keep pace with Columbus who won today as well. Columbus actually beat the once unbeatable NY, so with NY having a game in hand on us we are closing in at 3 points out of 1st.

Next up is Chicago, our bitter rivals. Last time we played them, it was 2-nil after at the half, then 2-2 after full time, then 3-3 to take us into penalties. We won the shootout, and it was an exciting game for the neutral fan as both teams went the distance.

Before we head into the match, I take a look each team's form-

form1862011.png

Chicago, despite dropping their last 3 games, are in 5th place in the East- in fact they've been in 5th since game #2 of the season! Quite a feat if you ask me. Anyway, we're at home again for this one, so let's get a rival win for the fans!

Today's lineup-

lineup6182011.png

Because we had a midweek game, we're going to have a few changes today. We have Attakora at right FB, Lozano at CB, and Clyde Simms and Stephen McCarthy as center mids. I am taking a bit of a gamble against Chicago with the 4-1-3-2 formation. Partly to take advantage of their poor form but also maybe I can retain possession more today and keep the ball away from their wingers, who burned us last time. Gaudette gets a start bewteen the sticks today to give Reis a break.

Matchup-

matchup6182011.png

Last time out, it was the "P's" that gave us trouble: Pause, Pardo, and Puppo. Nyarko is also quick and dangerous on the sidelines. Hopefully my holding midfielder can do well today against these players. Looking at the Chicago scouting report, I noticed that Nolly isn't a great keeper, so we should look to rattle him early if we can.

Kickoff...

GOAL 13' Simms 1-0

That's just what we wanted, an early goal to test Nolly and unnerve him. After a failed corner, Tierney receives the ball again and passes to Clyde Simms, who drives a curling shot into the goal, past the diving Nolly.

HT New England 1-0 Chicago

After the first goal, it's been an even game. Looking at the shape of my team, we are frustrating Chicago, my holding midfielder working well to disrupt things over the middle and his presence allows my other center mids like Feilhaber and Joseph to pursue attacking players with the knowledge that he'll be there in support.

GOAL 61' Lozano

John Lozano scores his second goal of the season from a Tierney corner. This gives us a two goal lead and some room to work with now.

FT New England 2-0 Chicago

We pretty much dominated in possession the second half of this game. The second goal allowed me to put in some younger players like Fagundez and Rowe, which was good for them to get involved in these games. I'm very happy with the win over our bitter rivals.

Player performance

GOOD: All my defenders have ratings over 7 as well as Simms and Joseph, but the MOTM once again is Tierney with an 8.1 rating and two assists.

Well, the new formation worked out, I guess for now. Chicago only had 3 shots on goal today, which I think is an impressive job done by the defensive unit. I think with less strikers it allows for better movement forward for Feilhaber and Guti. Plus an extra defensive midfielder helps Joseph and my two centerbacks in dealing with threats in the middle. Also, 2 strikers doesn't crowd the box as much as with 3 strikers, so I hope this means more goals for Schilawski and others.

The current table after Saturday's games-

table6182011.png

Yahoo! We're into 1st! But probably not for long. NY didn't play today and Houston drew with Columbus. NY and Columbus both have 2 games on the Revs, so we'll enjoy 1st place while it lasts.

saboriotransfer.png

Personally, I don't like seeing good players leaving the MLS, as I want the MLS to a league that attracts good players and keeps them, not just developing them only to see them leave for Europe. Saborio wasn't developed in the MLS, but he was a good player which makes the MLS competitive. However, he is 29, so getting the money out of him seems the right thing to do for Salt Lake. I just don't like how MLS teams don't get ALL of the transfer fee.

Just got the word today-

uscupdrawtampa.png

Interesting draw for us and unfortunately we're away. I say that because the more cup home games we have, the more gate money we can rake in. It also means our next game against Seattle has been bumped up to Saturday.

duleejohnsontrial.png

With my new 4-1-3-2 formation, I'm looking into signing maybe another center mid. Johnson looks good on paper in terms of technique and creativity, but he's asking for 5.5k/week and a 3 year contract. He's 26, so he's not that old and I have the cap room, so I'm giving him a trial with my reserves to see if he can produce the goods he claims he's worth.

Heading into our next match against Seattle, we have one thing in our favor- Seattle played two days ago against NY and drew 1-1. Thus they probably have tired legs going out there today, and we need to capitalize on that. The things going against us are playing away in Seattle on of the most intimidating parks in the league- CenturyLink Field, in the rain to boot.

Lineup-

lineup6252011.png

Since Seattle is known for their attacking prowess, I'll keep my 4-1-3-2 going. Guti back in the middle, hopefully he can create some magic today, and Attakora and Graye back in their natural positions. The good news for us is that AJ Soares is back from injury, but not fit for a start yet, and that Alston will be back soon. It seems like forever since he was in the lineup.

Matchup-

matchup6252011.png

Seattle, although not star laden, is in my opinion more of a sleeper team with talent. On a good day, they can make you look terrible. Let's hope they'll be too tired to play well tonight.

And on another note: Shalrie Joseph is set to make his 225th career appearance for the Revs and in the MLS. After tonight he'll only need 19 more appearances to beat Jay Heaps' record of 243 appearances for the club. So congrats to Shalrie for making it this far for the Revs.

Kickoff...

GOAL 19' Sene 0-1

It's been a long time coming hasn't it? Saer Sene finally breaks his goal drought with a fine finish after receiving the ball onside in the box to slot it past the goalkeeper Gspurning.

GOAL 40' Montero 1-1

Seattle even things up with a freekick meeting the head of Freddy Montero, who puts it past Reis.

GOAL 44' Sene 1-2

The lad is up for it today it seems! The young tall French forward plays a give and go with Schilawski, gets into the box past the defender Parke and slots home his second of the game.

HT Seattle 1-2 New England

Seems the new formation really does open things up for my forwards, at least so far. Like with Chicago, that extra holding midfielder really frustrates the opposing offense. Their only goal so far has come from a set piece, which was honestly undefendable. Keep up the good play guys!

FT Seattle 1-2 New England

Nothing doing in the 2nd half. We had a few chances, but as I put our mentality to counter, we were more content to sit back and let Seattle wear themselves down. Good win today for us, and good for Sene to be back on the goalsheet.

Player performances

GOOD: Saer Sene the obvious choice for MOTM with 2 goals and an 8.8 rating.

Table as it stands-

table6252011.png

Back into first, with 2 points clear of NY! Chicago record a huge win of NY 4-2. So with Houston, NY, and the Revs at 17 games played, the real sleeper is now Columbus with a potential 9 points to be had in their games in hand over the other 3 teams. Exciting stuff!

You know, looking back now when creating the database for this save, I realize I should have created the NASL and USLPro leagues just for the heck of it. Reason being because then it'd actually get the players on those teams playing regular games, getting better training, etc. Oh well.

twitterlogorowdiesnorma.jpgv catnewenglandrevolution.jpg

We're in Tampa playing the Rowdies in the US Cup 3rd Round. Our league form has been super lately, so let's keep that trend going. I don't want to be knocked out of the cup by these guys.

Lineup-

lineup6282011.png

Some tired bodies out there due to us just have played on Saturday. Islas gets a start tonight, as does McCarthy, Lozano, and Gaudette. Don't let me down guys!

Matchup-

matchup6282011.png

I really don't know too much about Tampa. I know that Yoshitake can be influential on the wing, but that's about it.

Kickoff...

GOAL 41' Sene 0-1

Um...don't know quite what happened there, except that Saer Sene has grabbed the game's 1st goal. Islas is making a run towards the box after he steals the ball from Tampa defender Sanfilippo. As Islas is running, Sanfilippo clatters into him and knocks the ball free. Sene is there on the loose ball and slots a goal just under the Tampa goalkeeper Attinella.

HT Tampa Bay 0-1 New England

We've got the lead, but it's still anyone's game. The Revs need that all important 2nd goal in order to really control this game.

FT Tampa Bay 0-1 New England

Boring 2nd half, but we get the win and are into the quarterfinals.

Player performances

GOOD: Bill Gaudette actually gets the MOTM honors with his 7.4 rating.

And we added some more young talent to the current squad-

agudelosigning.png

Agudelo is 19, American, and only getting paid 1.6k/week. He was frustrated at NY for not getting any playing time, so I traded players and cash for him. Maybe won't influence the squad now, but definitely I'm going to mold him into a future star.

What a month! We did very well in June, and the result is that we lead the Eastern Conference heading into July. We've played 17 games, so our season is half-way finished.

Just some of the things to look over as we pass into July...

First, Zack Schilawski picks up the June Player of the Month Award

schilawskijuneaward.png

He beat of some stiff competition in Donovan and Califf, so congrats to Zack!

Now a look at the upcoming events for July-

july2011calendar.png

A busy month ahead- 5 MLS games, 1 US Cup game, and 2 signings to join the squad mid-month.

Ah, an email from the board-

boardconfidence722011.png

Ok, yeah I get it, you're upset over losing to San Jose- but that was a month ago! Give a guy a break huh? What about smashing NY 3-0? Remember that?

On a serious note, I'm displeased at losing 323k. Hopefully we can make that back this month, but with 4 away games, we probably won't <_<

And now a look at the MLS tables after 3 months of play-

tablejuly2011.png

tablewestjuly2011.png

:cool: We're sitting pretty in first place, but we can't be there for too long. Columbus has two games in hand and are only a point behind us. Same for LA in the West- they may have 7 point lead but Salt Lake have a massive 4 games in hand. Even so, the West looks weaker now in comparison to the East. LA is 21 points from 5th, where the Revs are only 9 points from 5th! It obviously was a crazy month of June for most clubs, but as we are only midseason, the craziness has just begun!

I have a funny feeling this is going to be a bad game for us. Usually happens in FM, you get a good run of games going then a loss to bring your club back down to earth. After just getting by Tampa 1-nil in the US Cup 3rd round, I think we may just lose this one. But I hope I'm wrong!

The lineup-

lineup742011.png

Hey! Looks who's back! Alston finally back in the lineup tonight after a prolonged injury. Attakora gets the start over Soares just because he's playing well, Agudelo on the bench, waiting for his Revs debut. Joseph is serving a yellow card suspension, so he's not playing today.

Matchup-

matchup742011.png

Mirror formations today. Interesting to see how things play out. Pore can be dangerous, and Beckerman too. Not a bad defensive line for Salt Lake either.

Kickoff...

GOAL 46' Borchers

Sloppy play by both sides today, so the first goal comes from a Salt Lake free kick. Wingert swings one across the box where Nate Borchers heads home the game's first goal.

HT Salt Lake 1-0 New England

First of all, I have 5 players of mine booked, 3 of them in the first 10', so screw you Toledo. Second, my guys just need to relax and play their game. Let's look for a good second half.

FT Salt Lake 1-0 New England

Can I call 'em or what? We were poor throughout the game and fully deserved to lose today. We had a few late chances at the goal but just couldn't convert. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Player performance

GOOD: No one was over 6.7 today

BAD: Sene and Agudelo never got going today.

baldomerotoledo.png

yellowcards.png

Funny. If this was a good game for him, I wonder what a bad game looks like. BE CONSISTENT.

Archived