Advice for playing with a team with a higher rep than quality

I have started my yearly save with CD Tenerife who are now in Segunda Division B1 after their second consecutive relegation irl. My problem here is that because of the two consecutive relegations my team has a high reputation for the level that I am currently in (I have very good odds in my favour for every game, regardless of home or away). But I have about 4-5 players retained from the squad of last season, the rest have been replaced with players of a good quality at this level but definitely not of the quality of the previous squad or what my reputation would expect, so I'm in a sort of similar position as those who over-achieve early in the season and come the second half of the season have a lot of problems with their new-found reputation, only I'm having this issue right from the start.

So basically every team will park the tank against me but I don't really have the quality to break it down as I want to and I concede way too many goals on the break despite playing a controlled 4-2-3-1 Deep. I'm trying to do my best to not be too aggressive and get caught on the break but I fear that every time I go forward I'm going to get a lesson in counter attacking football, even though I mainly attack with 4 or 5 players. So from my first 19 games I've conceded 13 goals, which isn't bad but I feel that it could be quite a bit better. Off the top of my head I concede a fair few goals from crosses into the box, however I do have short defenders which if I can next season I will address, however I feel I should be preventing the opposition from getting into dangerous areas so frequently anyway. I shouldn't really be complaining as I'm top of the league by 7 points after 19 games but I'm a little stumped tactically as to how I can make the most of the situation that I am in.

I feel like any points dropped is a bit of a failure. A lot of the teams in the league play a 4-4-2, with the occasional 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1, so it's not like I am dealing with new formations that I can't work out how to manipulate to my advantage. Below are screenshots of my squad and the tactical settings. I have tweaked the settings of the AM a little bit to try and get him to be a bit deeper and run with the ball more, but that's the only adjustments from the default settings of each role from the TC. I only do this because

http://imgur.com/t70eT

http://imgur.com/kdU32

I think I've had 2 games this season that I am happy with the level of dominance shown, the rest I've felt a little underwhelmed despite my solid record this season.

If there is any more information that you need me to post, either screenshots or more information about the tactic or the players then I'll be happy to try and give you that. I probably will need to provide more information but I'm not quite sure what, so I'm sorry if there is something missing and I'll address that if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help provided

You seem to have a lot of supporting players, this way you are being prudent. Sometimes it can pay of to be more agressive, that way some opposing players can't play 'their game'. Your squad is indeed not the best around, and your board isn't giving you any support in terms of budget so you'll have to make the best out of your reputation. You know the're going to sit back and counter, you'll just have to figure out a way of dealing with them.

2 Central defenders and two defensive midfielders should be enough people at the back, especially if you give one of the DM's a defensive role. That way you should be slowing down the counters that get through fairly easy. Kitoko is a great player to hunt down any player in posession, he has speed, workrate and strength. Now you've freed up your FB to advance more on the pitch with an attacking role, putting in crosses for your targetman and helping out the wingers more. On the left it will create a degree of overlap, on the right it will create more opportunities to cross. That's what I would do in your situation.

I like the thinking behind that. I've been in a state of fear after I shipped in 6 against Manchester City as Manchester United in another save. Since then I've found it hard to really go for it and instead I play a patient game and make getting a clean sheet more important than scoring. Should I push Kitoko up to CM and use him as a Ball Winner (support) or should I leave him as he is at DM?

I'll try a more aggressive game and see how it goes. Thinking about my Tenerife saves of past, I've always enjoyed coming up against the top teams and hassling them all over the pitch despite having the inferior team. I rarely lost against those teams. So I'll give those suggestions a try. Hopefully it will have the desired

I quickly loaded a new game with tenerife, i actually used the same tactic you did, but with both DM's psuhed up to MC, and both of them on defensive duty. Toy can alter this yet again if the situation requires it. If the opposition goes down a goal, you can counter by luring them into your half, then quickly hit them on the break. I also noticed you don't play Luna in defence, in my opinion he would fit this system well when attacking. Height isn't all there is to good defence.

PS Fear is a very bad advisor. ;)

I'm more than happy to fiddle around with things. I can say as a fact that the role of the AMC has been every one role available in the TC this season. The idea of soaking up pressure and hitting them on the break is one I'm looking forward to if I get promoted this season. I find it more fun doing that than holding 70% of the possession.

I did just slot Luna back into defence, he was out for a couple of weeks and just returned to fitness.

Fear is one terrible thing, but I hate complacency much more :)

This can quickly change if you build a report with them. If you're constantly saying the right things and motivate them by using the right tactics you'll uild a report with them whilst also improving your own reputation. After a year or so, most of the time, I'm favoured personnel for many of them by using the right talks.

Don't underestimate the power of team meetings too in this regard. They're an excellent way of making players respect you.

I think I'm right in saying that the latest patch has made some changes to make motivating players tougher, especially if your reputation isn't high. I tend to use the Private chats to get the players on my side as I can get a good reaction out of those almost every time. I do need to abuse the teem meeting feature more though, it is a fantastic addition for us players struggling a bit with getting good reactions from players.

I learn every day on these forums :)

Only those who don't want to learn? Anyway, I have tried my first game with the new changes, an away game against 3rd placed Atletico "B". A comfortable 2-0 win, felt rather comfortable throughtout, minus a late flurry of chances which we dealt with quite well. They only had one clear enough chance which was a counter from a corner. Our defence got a little bit muddled up trying to get back into position, but enough pressure on the ball carrier forced the shot off target. Considering it was against a team on good form and high up in the league I was quite happy with the performance all round. I decided to go quite aggressive with the pressing and I got the desired effect, with a lot of balls won high up the pitch and Kitoko was key in that, shuttling from defence to attack quite nicely. However it is just one game so I'll keep going. Thanks for the suggestions and advice Steve :)

What I normally do against the bus is to actually drop deeper and stand off them(you can even use the shout if play by the TC) to lure them into opening up. You don't have to push up the defence all the time with attacking strategy.

/Especially in FM you can counter the counter with counter. lol. ;)/

Archived