Galatasaray - The Quest to take over Europe

ManUTactician247

22/10/11 - Sportoto Super Lig - Galatasaray vs Kayserispor

With a game against Besiktas in midweek, I did what any normal manager would do and put out my BEST eleven. Let's face it, if a team can't play twice a week, there is something wrong with them. We started the game on top, a superb break saw Riera with an easy chance but he skied it over the bar. Our pressure continued when a corner was headed on to the cross bar by Ujfalusi. We then had a weak penalty claim as Hasan Ali Kaldirim tackled Sabri Sarioglu in the box, nothing came of it though. I sensed a goal coming, I was right, Elmander played a clever ball to slip in Riera who slipped it nicely into the near corner. It was a miracle that the first half was only 1-0. We had chances in the 2nd half to make it 2 as well, Selcuk Inan pulled it back for Sabri Sarioglu who smashed it just wide. We had a golden opportunity later as well, Sercan Yildirim crossed from the left and all Elmander had to do was tap it in from 3 yards but the keeper did incredibly well to block the shot. We had a scare when Cangele was sent through on goal but Muslera pulled off a top save. Defensively, we were slacking off a bit and Amrabat burst through and saw his angled drive saved by Muslera. On 78 minutes, we finally got our 2nd goal, Sercan Yildirim sent in a cross from the left which Sabri Sarioglu finished, but WAIT... offside. Un freaking believable, our players didn't argue but the decision wasn't as obvious as everyone thought. I thought this referee must have been a Kayseri fan, and when the referee added 3 minutes to the 3 minutes of added time that were signalled I was certainly thinking that way. Kayseri had a free-kick on 96 minutes out of 93, yep you guessed it...

He laid it off to Riveros who shot first time straight at Muslera. So we won! A good win for us and well deserved.

Galatasaray: Riera (19)

Other TSL Results

Ankaragucu 0-2 Fenerbahce

Ankara: Ozgur Cek (missed pen 80)

Fener: Semih Senturk (7), Ugur Boral (86)

Orduspor 2-2 Mersin I.Y.

Ordu: Ali Camdali (81), Zijler (90+4)

Mersin: Ozokwo (6, 11)

Antalyaspor 2-4 Bursaspor

Antalya: Musa Aydin (5), Mehmet Yilmaz (30)

Bursa: Tagoe (7, 45), Ahmet Ari (17), Serdar Aziz (39)

Buyuksehir Bld. 3-1 Genclerbirligi

Buyuksehir: N'Gal (4), Metin Akan (42), Efe Inanc (pen 83)

Gencler: Tum (63)

Karabukspor 0-2 Eskisehirspor

Eskisehir: Pele (3), Hamza Cakir OG (77)

Samsunspor 2-1 Sivasspor

Samsun: Zenke (15), Dilaver Guclu (75)

Sivas: Eneramo (14)

Manisaspor 1-3 Besiktas

Manisa: Makukula (61), Akaminko (89)

BJK: Murat Erdogan OG (21), Ekrem Dag (63), Mehmet Akyuz (88)

Trabzonspor 0-1 Gaziantepspor

Trabzon: Zokora (83)

Gaziantep: Walch (55)

Transfers

I decided we needed more backroom staff, first off I added a scout, Spanish scout Antonio Fernandez comes in to scout Central Europe, he last scouted at Valencia. I never expected to bring a San Marinese (is that right?) person to the club, so ex international Massimo Bonini comes in, interestingly he played for Juventus during his career and his only non-player experience was a brief stint as San Marino manager in 1997. He'll have to settle with a coaching role here though.

Then came probably the most shocking transfer in my FM career, I saw that Nani was available on a free and snapped him up... How did I manage that?

Yeah, it wasn't that Nani... he's actually an Italian scout called Gianluca Nani, he spent 9 years as a scout with Brescia before joining West Ham as a director of football, his time in England gave him full scouting knowledge of the country so I've sent him to UK & Ireland.

Premier League Transfers

Aston Villa

Gary Gardner is sent on loan to Ipswich.

Premier League Weekend 9!

There wasn't a much better way to start off the weekend than with an old fashioned Manchester derby, City dispatched of United at Old Trafford in a similar way to how they did IRL. Sergio Aguero, Ganso and Mario Balotelli were the scorers in a 3-0 win. Blackburn managed a 2-0 win at home to Wigan and did it convincingly. Yakubu and Morten Gamst Pedersen getting the goals. Norwich were desperate for points against an Everton side that have done well this season, to top it off they were away from home but Norwich did get 3 points, Grant Holt scoring the goal to take them out of the relegation zones. Before the season, you'd expect QPR and Arsenal to be in each other's positions but that wasn't the case, Andrey Arshavin got the first goal for Arsenal. However, QPR showed the sort of form that sees them in the top half, Luke Young and Shaun Wright-Phillips both scored to turn it around, giving Wenger another defeat! How patient can the board be? 1 win, 1 draw, 7 defeats. West Brom got an impressive victory at home to Swansea, Graham Dorrans, Chris Brunt and Youssouf Mulumbu put them 3-0 up before Nathan Dyer got a consolation. Newcastle got off to a fantastic start away to Wolves with new signing Michael Krohn-Dehli scoring twice early on. Wolves fought back through Kevin Doyle and Steven Fletcher to get a draw. Chelsea fought hard to maintain their 100% record away to Sunderland, Ramires scored a penalty to give Chelsea the lead, Sunderland got a quick equaliser from Ji Dong-Won. Lee Cattermole was characteristically sent off for Sunderland but Chelsea still left it till late to win it, Daniel Sturridge the man scoring it.

Fulham faced relegation threatened Bolton, Bobby Zamora scored a 7 minute hat-trick to give Fulham a massive lead after 36 minutes. Shockingly, Bolton who would normally be feeling depressed after conceding so many decided to score twice before half-time, Kevin Davies and Chris Eagles pulling it back to 3-2 but those were Bolton's only shot on target so Fulham won it. Tottenham were 1 of just 2 teams unbeaten, the other was Chelsea. At White Hart Lane, a match against Aston Villa should be no problem right? Well, ex Spurs player Alan Hutton had other ideas, giving Villa the lead. Stephen Ireland made it 2-0, Jermain Defoe got one back but the unbeaten run was over for Spurs.

La Liga

With Barcelona losing their unbeaten record last week, it was Real's turn to fall, a deserved 1-0 defeat to Malaga with Sebastian Fernandez scoring the only goal. Barcelona pounced the next day, dominating at home to Sevilla, Alexis Sanchez and David Villa scored in the space of 2 minutes to make it 2-0. Carles Puyol saw red for the Catalans but Villa still got a 2nd to make it 3-0. Elsewhere Valencia left it till late to equalise against Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid fell at home to Mallorca.

Europa League Group Stages Match 3

Group A

Sporting dropped 2 points away to Hajduk but the Croatians should really have won it. 18 year old Diego Rubio gave Werder the lead, George Maluleka earned Hajduk a point though. Hannover went top of the group after crushing Steaua 3-0, Mohammed Abdellaoue, Didier Ya Konan and Daniel Royer scored the goals.

Group B

Stoke were the massive underdogs away to Atletico Madrid, but yet found themselves 3 up at the break, 2 Peter Crouch goals sandwiching one by Wilson Palacios. Atletico made the score respectable in the 2nd half, Falcao pulling one back before Darwin Quintero got another late on, a massive win for Stoke none the less. After their explosive start, Udinese were expected to hammer Gaziantepspor away, that didn't happen as Ivelin Popov gave Antep the lead. Antonio Di Natale equalised in the 2nd half, Gabriel Torje got a late winner for Udinese who were grateful to get 3 points.

Group C

Anderlecht continued their 100% record by dispatching Kobenhavn 3-0, Tom De Sutter, Dieumerci Mbokani and Fernando Canesin Matos all scoring within the first 12 minutes. Omonoia played impressively against Rosenborg to give them a good chance of qualification, Stathis Aloneftis scored first after 2 minutes and Giorgos Efraim's penalty sealed it on the stroke of half-time.

Group D

Rubin got a great win against Lazio to send them top, Obafemi Martins scored early on with Cristian Ansaldi from the spot and Nelson Valdez sealed a win with a harsh scoreline on Lazio. Fulham got a hard fought victory away to Valerenga. Yssouf Kone gave the Norwegians the lead, Moussa Dembele equalised before Bobby Zamora got the winner.

Group E

After a terrible start to an easy group, AZ knew they had to wake up at home to Metalist, a must-win game which the Dutch side won in style, Ruud Boymans, Charlison Benschop and Erik Falkenburg got the goals. Litex did Bulgaria proud with another away win against Maccabi Haifa, Ilia Prodanov scored the only goal of the game.

Group F

Dinamo Bucharest got a win over Lokomotiv Sofia, Ionel Danciulescu scored first for the Romanians, Liviu Ganea made it 2-0 before Lokomotiv Sofia pulled one back through Valentin Dimitrov. Catalin Munteanu was sent off for Dinamo but they held on for the win. Last week it was Danny Welbeck who gave Twente 3 points but this week it was another United player that won it, Kiko Macheda scored the only goal of the game in a vital match in Seville.

Group G

There was one thing that was almost certain in this group, Tottenham wouldn't get past Athletic Bilbao on goal difference, a 6-0 win for the Spaniards. Gaizka Toquero scored early on before getting himself sent off, that only seemed to spur Bilbao on though, Fernando Llorente scored very quickly to make it 2, Javi Martinez and Iker Muniain made it 4 before late on Llorente's 2nd and one for Ibai Gomez made it 6. Tottenham also won, Scott Parker scored first against Nacional da Madeira and Gareth Bale's penalty made it 2-0 before half-time. Parker saw red for Spurs but not long later Tottenham got another penalty, Aaron Lennon took it this time and scored as it ended 3-0.

Group H

PSG were clinical in front of goal in a vital away match to Palermo, Bressan scored an early penalty for them and Kevin Gameiro's goal was followed by another Bressan goal. Zurich looked impressive at home to Viktoria Plzen, Alexandre Alphonse gave the Swiss side the lead, he scored again before not long later Pavel Horvath was sent off for Plzen, Alphonse completed his hat-trick 3 minutes later efore Admir Mehmedi completed the win late on.

Group I

Celtic got a win against Panathinaikos which implied that they were going for qualification, in short they lost to Dinamo, Igor Vukovic scored early on before Ivan Tomecak's last minute penalty sealed it, poor by Celtic. Kostas Katsouranis scored the only goal of the game in a tough win for Panathinaikos against Sion.

Group J

Besiktas looked to be coasting to the next round of the Europa League but it was Genk who went above them after a great win in Turkey, Ricardo Quaresma gave BJK the lead before Mustafa Pektemek was red carded. Genk pounced, an own goal by Ismail Koybasi equalised before uh... Kennedy Nwanganga scored the winner. Birmingham faced a hard trip to Ukraine where they would play Dynamo Kyiv, Andriy Yarmolenko scored first from the spot after 3 minutes, Nikola Zigic equalised for Birmingham and got them a point.

Group K

PSV fans were left shocked after their match against Salzburg, Dries Mertens gave PSV the lead but 2 late goals turned it around, Petri Pasanen and Stefan Maierhofer were the scorers. Sochaux did well to win away to Standard, Marvin Martin scored for the Frenchman but it was pegged back by Kanu (no, not that one). Modibo Maiga got a winner though to give Sochaux 3 points.

Group L

Hapoel Tel Aviv registered their first points in the group. Baruch Krais scored first for Israel, Eric Djemba-Djemba was sent off for OB. They still equalised thanks to Peter Utaka. An 88th minute own goal by Christian Madsen disappointed the travelling fans in what was a winnable game. Schalke got a 2-0 win over CSKA Sofia thanks to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Lewis Holtby.

Champions League Group Stages Match 3

Group A

If only Arsenal were doing as well in the league as they were in the Champions League, they absolutely destroyed Otelul Galati, Mikel Arteta, Alex Song and Per Mertesacker in the last minute gave them a 3-0 win. Benfica managed to beat Basel, incredibly the first team in the group beside Arsenal to win, Oscar Cardozo with the winning goal.

Group B

It's fair to say Real Madrid were shocked by a feisty Ajax side last time out but put in a dominant performance against Lyon, Michel Bastos scored after less than a minute for Lyon, but Real quickly levelled thanks to Sami Khedira, another from Khedira and one for Kaka made it 3-1 to Real with Kaka also completing a brace in the 2nd half. Trabzonspor, the whipping boys of the group, faced an Ajax side who easily dispatched Real Madrid, the Turks took a lead through Arkadiusz Glowacki, Ajax scored twice at the end of the half, both by Mounir El Hamdaoui turned it around. It looked like a win for Ajax but in the 6th minute of added time, Halil Altintop turned into a hero for Trabzon by levelling it, that result has dented Ajax's chances of qualification.

Group C

Bayern Munich needed to avoid defeat against Villarreal at home to give themselves the best chance of qualifying, despite dominating they failed, 2 goals from Nilmar, also Villarreal's only 2 shots on target gave them the win. Olympiakos went top after destroying Partizan, Kevin Mirallas opened the scoring after 3 minutes, 2 goals by Djamel Abdoun and an own goal late on by Igor Mitreski sealed a 4-0 win.

Group D

Chelsea may have played poorly against AC Milan but it was clinical finishing that blew the group wide open at the San Siro, Frank Lampard (yes he started!) and Nicolas Anelka made it 2-0, Alberto Aquilani's consolation was just a consolation, Milan will be disappointed. Zenit beat Dortmund thanks to an Alexandr Kerzhakov goal, with Chelsea and Milan on 6 points and Dortmund and Zenit on 3, anything can happen in this group.

Group E

Bayer Leverkusen had no mercy on Slovan Bratislava, Karim Guede was sent off for the Slovans and Michael Ballack gave Leverkusen the lead. To make things worse for them, Filip Sebo was also sent off before Tranquillo Barnetta and Andre Schurrle sealed the win. The first half of Marseille vs Porto was one of the best this season, Hulk scored first after 6 minutes but Benoit Cheyrou got a quick equaliser. Joao Moutinho gave Porto the lead again from the penalty spot, Andre Ayew equalised for OM before Loic Remy got a winner on the stroke of half-time. The 2nd half was goalless. Another intense group, 3 teams on 6 points, all to play for.

Group F

CSKA Moscow showed their intent to qualify for the next round with a towering display over Lille, David Rozehnal gave them the lead after 3 minutes. Joe Cole put the ball into his own net to equalise (Englishmen abroad eh ;) ). Vasily Berezutskiy got the winner for CSKA. Napoli gave Man United a good game at San Paolo, a Morgan de Sanctis own goal gave United the lead after less than a minute. 2 goals by Javier Hernandez made it 3-0 before Edinson Cavani got one back. Dimitar Berbatov sealed the win for United before Gokhan Inler pulled one back late on for Napoli. One more win for United would all but guarantee qualification.

Group G

Arguably the biggest team to ever set foot in Cyprus, Barcelona took on APOEL, it took less than a minute for David Villa to open the scoring. Lionel Messi scored after 6 minutes and then an own goal by Kaka (no, not that one!) made it 3-0. APOEL had just one shot, it went in, Sanel Jahic scoring from the penalty spot. 2 more Villa goals completed a 5-1 win and his hat-trick. To be fair to APOEL they didn't concede in the 2nd half. Man City were dominant at home to Shakhtar and deserved more than the 1-0 win they got. Edin Dzeko bagged the goal.

Group H

Both keepers were certainly off form in Valencia vs Inter, both Brazilian keepers Diego Alves and Julio Cesar guilty of letting in every shot on target they faced. Mauro Zarate scored early for Inter, Victor Ruiz's own goal made it 2-0. Pablo Hernandez pulled one back for Valencia in stoppage time of the first half. Lucio made it 3-1 to Inter before Erik Pieters scored for Valencia in 2nd half stoppage time, a result meaning they were pretty much guaranteed a place in the knockout stages. An even game between Wisla and Rangers saw Maor Melikson give the Poles the lead, Nikica Jelavic equalised for the Gers and it was none other than 41 year old David Weir who became the oldest player to ever score in the Champions League to win it and send Rangers 5 points clear of Valencia and Wisla, giving them a great chance of joining Inter in the next round.

Lampard became a manager at the age of 38 at my save. A premier league manager too, with a tactical knowledge attribute of 4 :D

Anyway, good results, but another tip: If you haven't done it yet, fire ALL the backroom staff and hire new ones. Galatasaray's backroom staff is total crap and I spent 2-3 hours looking for good staff members but eventually, it pays off. A good backroom staff is like a 15 point bonus in a season, at least :)

Lampard became a manager at the age of 38 at my save. A premier league manager too, with a tactical knowledge attribute of 4 :D

Anyway, good results, but another tip: If you haven't done it yet, fire ALL the backroom staff and hire new ones. Galatasaray's backroom staff is total crap and I spent 2-3 hours looking for good staff members but eventually, it pays off. A good backroom staff is like a 15 point bonus in a season, at least :)

I don't intend to fire all the backroom staff, but I certainly have brought in new ones. I believe in strength in numbers plus I have a knd of respect for ex players like Umit Davala and Tugay.

Lampard's gone to Inter on mine.

Anywho, top work in not only your save but this thread, the detail is fantastic, sir.

Thanks, good to know! I just enjoy doing it. :)

I didn't fire Tugay and Davala too, since I love them too much to do that :D But still, you have the economic power to be both strong in numbers and quality. Actually, it depends on how long-term you want to play. For longer games, the training catergories should all be five star, so that your wonderkids can reach their potential, and faster :D

PS: The detail is fantastic indeed, amazing willpower that is, I would never write weekly news on other leagues..

I didn't fire Tugay and Davala too, since I love them too much to do that :D But still, you have the economic power to be both strong in numbers and quality. Actually, it depends on how long-term you want to play. For longer games, the training catergories should all be five star, so that your wonderkids can reach their potential, and faster :D

PS: The detail is fantastic indeed, amazing willpower that is, I would never write weekly news on other leagues..

I let Tugay handle training because I really can't be bothered to do it :D. Thanks for the kind words as well :).

Archived