Wingbacks or defensive wingers?

was interested in a thread i read about playing with a back three and was really interested. have found that it means keeping the vast majority of the RL squad intact and i'm able to slot them in nicely.

but i haven't used this kind of formation for years. have been watching games in full detail in slo-mo but still have the following issue:

-whether to play with wingbacks or defensive wingers? have the players for both but they both seem similar when i'm watching games. in both systems i have them set to attack, and in both systems they will drop deep when defending as i havent any fullbacks, i just can't really see the difference and can't determine the pros/cons of each.

help?!

I have been quite succesfull in FM 2011 and FM 2012 with Inter, Feyenoord and Barcelona with playing like this:

FB-CB-CB-WB or WB-CB-CB-FB and leaving the complete wing free for the wingback with an offensive role, do this by either playing without another player there, or an inside forward

yeah my only wide players are my WB/WIngers so they're bound to get forward AND track back to defend the flanks. guess i'm gonna need a fair bit of stamina and workrate!

...but i STILL need to try to understand the difference/pros/cons of using either wingbacks or wingers. both positions SEEM to produce the same outcomes, i just can't work out what's different and what i should be looking at.

You're quite right in your observation: when playing with a back three the wide players keep positioning themselves as if they were fullbacks no matter of their actual position. They're falling back too much. So there really isn't too much of a difference whether you're playing wingbacks or wingers. It's a known problem with the ME which was there in FM 11 and hasn't been fixed this year. I hope SI are working on this since it's really limiting your options with a back three

You're quite right in your observation: when playing with a back three the wide players keep positioning themselves as if they were fullbacks no matter of their actual position. They're falling back too much. So there really isn't too much of a difference whether you're playing wingbacks or wingers. It's a known problem with the ME which was there in FM 11 and hasn't been fixed this year. I hope SI are working on this since it's really limiting your options with a back three

what do you mean it's limiting my options? my observations are that both positions are EFFECTIVE: both offensively and defensively. it's working well except, possibly, that they tend not to be very wide (i'm sticking to default width set by TC now but may decide to play wider after watching a few more games) and so need to cover quite some ground to close down.

what IS the difference in the ME between the two options??

Sorry for being not clear enough. The difference in the ME between the two options is very small to non-existent. And that's the problem. You can play with wingbacks, no problem, but you can't play with wingers instead because they will behave as if they were wingbacks. So whatever you choose, wingbacks or wingers, the outcome will be pretty much the same

My problem with with kind of defensive set up has always been the DCR and DCL staying too central against single striker formations. What happens then is that when the opponents wide players get in behind your wingbacks nobody really closes them down, you can sometimes get an odd situation where the WB MC and DCL/R are all sort of closing the player in shifts and nobody is really doing it if that makes sense. Ive considered playing the outer 2 DC as really defensive fullbacks in these situations and maybe pushing the WD to defensive minded wide midfielders.

I will be testing this over the coming days both with a DMC and a Libero to see if it works at all. If i get anything interesting ill report back :)

Archived