A Continental 4-4-2: How to create an exciting attacking 4-4-2

I have seen many complaints since Football Manager 2011 came out stating how hard it is to come up with a 4-4-2 that consistently get results. I am not presenting here a 4-4-2 that will achieve guaranteed results but it is what I'd like to say a continential 4-4-2 which produces entertaining attacking football.

If I was to say a team this would most emulate, I would like to say the 4-4-2 played at Sevilla under Juande Ramos. That side is known for their quick smart football as well as their solidarity defensively.

The style I have tried to build is quick short passing football encouraging plenty of use of the wings. I want my fullbacks to overlap while I also want my wingers heavily involved in play. I prefer plenty of height in my forward line and like to have a classic goalscorer/creator partnership.

The Shape and Strategy

The formation is a flat 4-4-2. I do play some slight variations depending on opposition such as dropping a centre midfielder into a deeper defensive midfielder position against strong opposition who play with a man in the hole or a striker who drops deep. I also sometimes drop a forward into the AM position against sides which play on the deep defensively.

I play a Balanced Philosophy in my system as I find this system encourages my wingbacks to get forward which is a giant part of the system.

I start on an attacking strategy most games as I do want to take the game to my oppositon. My style is that I like the ball to be played out wide and for my teams to play quickly. The attacking strategy encourages plenty of width and a high tempo game. I also like my defence to keep a high line and to create two very tight banks of four high up on the pitch. Again the attatcking strategy makes this happen.

The Playing Style

Shorter Passing: I want my team to play a exciting style thus I do encourage lots of quick short passes.

Creative Freedom: Depends on your players at your disposal, I prefer to keep it on default which will give freedom to players in attacking positions who need it.

Stand Off: The aim when defending is to keep two very solid banks of four high up on the pitch, which forces a team to go for the long ball over. Occassionally I do switch this to heavy pressing when I am playing a highly technical side but only for a short time as I don't want too many spaces opening up as players get tired.

No Roaming: I want my wingers to stay wide, my fullbacks to stay wide, my centre midfielders to stay central. To keep the shape, I heavily discourage roaming and if I do give it, it is only to very special creator striker.

Player Roles

Please Note: Each position heavily relies on the player, no point playing with wingbacks if your wingbacks are very slow, thus I have added a description of the type of player I like in each position.

Sweeper Keeper/Support: Due to high line being played, it is vital that your goalkeeper is willing to get off his line and cover.

DCs/Cover/Stopper: A classic defensive system which is so popular as it does work. I normally go for a big battling centreback alongside an experience intelligent defender.

Wing Backs/Attack: Vital for the team to be dangerous offensively. You need quick energetic fullbacks to make this work as without them, you may be left exposed down the flanks.

MCR/Box to Box Midfielder/Support: With all the speed and width coming from the flanks, it is very important to have a central midfielder coming from deep to pick up any clearances from crosses as well as provide an option on the egde of the area. It is vital that this player is an allrounder as he will need to be able to win tackles and keep the side solid, as well as add his fair share of goals thus an energetic physical midfielder whose decision making and off the ball movement is perfect.

MCL/Centre Midfielder/Defend: The player who holds it all together. Keeps the defence solid, links attack and defence and makes sure the team doesn't get done on the counter. Must be able to win tackles and position himself well to intercept any potential balls over the top.

ML/R/Wingers/Support: I want both my wide men to run at defenders and create but keeping them on support also encourages them to make the pass through to the onrushing wingback. You wingers need plenty of speed and energy while flair, creativty and skill also help.

STCL/Deep Lying Forward/Support: Another player who in my opinion who is as important as the holding midfielder and wingbacks, as this is your player who is in charge of creating and keeping play fluid. I like to have a few options for this position depending on the opposition. A bigger strong striker who can hold the ball and distribute well against sides whos play with a defensive midfielder, while a quick skillful striker for sides who leave that space open.

STCR/Target Man/Attack: This is the player who is going to finish your moves off. You want him on the end of crosses and playing on the last defender. It is important that this player can score goals and in my game, I only go for players with a proven track record.

Shouts

Look for Overlap: Gets fullbacks forward into dangerous areas and will heavily increase 2 vs 1 situations on the flanks.

Play Wider: Creates plenty of width.

Push Higher Up: Increases the d-line height when defending

Stay on Feet: Stops players diving in, keeping a very solid two banks of four.

If team is struggling to get the ball in dangerous areas, I normally also use the get ball forward shout to raise the tempo.

Archived