Assistance Required in building a 4-5-1 Set

Hi Guys,

I have been using downloaded tactics for a long time now and have finally reached the point where I would like to build a set of tactics myself. I have decided to use the TC for this and the formation I have chosen is 4-5-1 with an AMR and an AML. I am going to leave almost everything as default and work from there as I am not to sure on what to change and what effect it will have. The one area where I think the defaults are not great is the central midfielders.

Could you please recommend how I should setup my DMC, MC and MC? Should one of them be on an attack duty and if so with which role? I've just bought Ganso and also intend to use Badelj or Anderson in the playmaker role.

Also, is it best to use a DLF with this setup or a Complete Forward? I will be using Rooney/Berbatov/Hernandez

I was thinking:

GK - Goalkeeper : Defend

DR - Full Back : Auto

DC - Centre Back : Defend

DC - Centre Back : Defend

DL - Full Back : Auto

DMC - Defensive Midfielder : Defend

MC - Advanced Playmaker : Support

MC - Ball Winning Midfielder : Support

AMR - Winger : Attack

AML - Winger : Attack

FC - Complete Striker : Support

In addition, if I wanted to have the striker on an Attack duty as an Advanced Forward/Poacher, how would I compensate for that in the midfield? Could I have one of the wingers on a Support duty?

And lastly, I would like to play a more direct passing game rather than a short posession-based one. Would a 4-5-1 be conducive to this?

Regards

Shiraz

No need to compensate unless you're employing a rigid philosophy and low creative freedom, setting the FC as complete striker - Attack will be absolutely fine, particularly for Rooney & Berbatov who have the smarts and the technical ability to drop deeper. Hernandez might get a little isolated but in all likelihood he will be fine as well. Try it and see how you like it as it really is a matter of preference, with players of the quality you describe they will be able to play whichever setting you choose (although some are obviously more preferable) so see which you like - be aware that each of the players will play any given role slightly differently.

The problem with having both wide players as wingers is that if you strike quickly there won't be many bodies to aim at in the box - the best case would be the FC, opposite winger and 1/2 MC's which is fine but the worse case would just be the FC arriving whilst I expect it will just be FC and maybe opposite winger. This will leave your winger with the ball stuck out on the wing with nothing to do, if you're lucky he'll win a corner.

My midfield trio is the same as yours but I don't use the ball winner because he's just encouraged to move out of position all the time. I use Defensive Midfielder - Defend and 2 Advanced Playmakers - Support. I set up the team instructions to set the team playmaker to none. My DMC is a covering DM (pace, acceleration, anticipation, decisions) with ok creative ability (limited technicallly with low flair but can pass and has good vision). My MCr is normally an all-round midfielder-type, normally slightly more defensive stat distribution (although this will change depending on opposition, game score etc), he's normally very fit, very strong, good anticipation and decision-maker, technical ability is a plus. My MCl is normally the most attack-minded of the 3 with good technical ability and great vision.

I find the MC's need to be fit and reasonably quick in this formation as they need to move forward into the huge gap that is present in this formation. Hopefully this gap will be between the opponents DCs and MCs. If you use an FC on attack duty this will hopefully make this gap even larger and, in this case, if you have a good defensive trio (DM,DC,DC) then you might want to play 2 very fit, true playmakers to operate the 'Xavi-Iniesta footballing circus of doom' (can't remember who first used that quote! SFraser?)

A short-possession game would work fine with this 451/433 but my preference would be to increase the passing length to at least default. If you play high and narrow then most of the options will be short anyway. By limiting the passing length you're just restricting the players from making longer passes which, given the high mental ability of the player you describe, just limits their repertoire. Unleashing those wingers (or inside forwards if you change) will often require a longer diagonal pass in behind the defence. In a similar way the DM will often want to spread the ball out to the FBs just to keep possession, if you're playing wide and short passing then this won't really be an option.

Good luck creating your new tactic, sounds like you've gone with a really logical setup and you've given some thought to matching your tactic with the players at your disposal. Really the match between tactic and player is the crucial thing to understand.

Just realised you want to play a direct game (sorry misread it earlier), yes in my opinion 451 is BEST suited to at least default passing length. The middle 5 are still free to play short passes to one another whilst the outside 5 will often be further away from immediate support so would benefit from longer passing.

Thank for the reply furiousuk. I intend to play a rigid or very rigid philosophy as I prefer those to the fluid ones, most probably rigid. I like the fact that they are much harder to break down than the fluid ones and with regards to the Creative Freedom, my intention was to leave it on the default setting and change it from there if required. Based on that, do you think it would still be fine having the Striker on an Attack duty? Also, I was thinking I should use Hernandez as an Advanced Forward - Attack as opposed to a Complete Forward as he just does not seem to have the attributes.

With regards to the wingers, I was thinking of using them as Wingers due to them being (Valencia, Bebe and Obertan) out and out wingers and I thought they would not be suited to the Inside Forward role but I think that I might experiment with that and see how it goes. I do like the thought of using 2 Advanced Playmakers on a support duty though as I think it suits my players more as well.

Also, due to lack of "height" up-top, I was thinking of setting the crossing option to drill rather than default, what do you think of that? Would it be too one-dimensional?

And lastly, I am never able to decide on what sort of Marking to use. Both have advantages and disadvantages so I am a bit hesitant to go either way and I am thinking of leaving on default.

I don't have much experience of rigid systems and no experience of rigid sole-striker systems but could see how Chica would be get isolated with an attack duty (I'd say he is a typical Adv.For or Poacher type). Hernandez probably requires close support and as you're using wingers he won't get it and will possibly be wasted. Rooney and Berbatov should be fine as they are stronger and more able to hold up the ball as well as having the mentals to create space and the technicals to use it. I think to get the best out of Chica he would need a striker partner or AM working with him. If you can get a good price then sell him as I don't think you'll ever get the best of him in a single striker formation but he might well be worth keeping if you plan on having a 2-partner variation (i.e. chasing a game then throw him on alongside Rooney/Berbatov).

I'm thinking out loud here but I wonder if having wingers with low crossing but high 'try through balls' would work? Drill crosses aims for the near post but a through ball from out wide might look more like a low, driven cross in-front of an advancing player. I've no idea if this actually would work but it might well be something to experiment with to get the best out of short but quick strikers with awesome anticipation.

I use my central core (DC,DC,DM,MC,MC) on tight man-marking whereas my floating five (FB,FB,AMR,AML,FC) are on zonal. My players are almost always more physical than the opposition so it suits me quite well as it stringently dominates the most dangerous central defensive area. An opposition will playmakers at AMR,AML who don't strictly cut inside causes me problems, particularly with loads of movement. Another hybrid system would see back 4 & MC's on zonal whilst the DM is on man-marking so that you create a defensive wall at the back whilst allowing your DM to dominate anyone who dares to move between the lines. Another hybrid to consider would be DC,DC,DM on zonal so that they retain their strong triangular shape which funnels attacks to the flanks with MC,MC,FB,FB on man-marking to pick up anyone entering their zones (be wary of man-marking FB's being overloaded by a marauding opposition FB).

As you have quality players zonal would work well, particularly if they have good positioning and anticipation. It's a strong defensive shape that is hard to break down. I think SFraser's Meet the System (sticky post) has a little section on defensive shapes that you might find interesting.

I have tried using Inside Forwards for a few matches and they do seem to be working quite well so maybe I will stick with them for a bit and use Hernandez as an Advanced Forward. I am in the pre-season of season 2 so will experiment with the wingers/inside forwards a little and let you know how it goes. Will definitely also give Sfraser's thread a read. Thanks for all the advice :)

This ALWAYS works for me!

GK - Goalkeeper : Defend

DR - Full Back : Attack

DC - Centre Back : Stopper

DC - Centre Back : Cover

DL - Full Back : Attack

DMC - Defensive Midfielder : Defend

MC - Advanced Playmaker : Attack (main play-maker)

MC - Box-to-Box Midfielder : Support

AMR - Inside Forward : Attack

AML - Inside Forward : Attack

FC - Target Man : Support

No matter which team, ur bascially guaranteed success with this.

Archived