Fluid Vs Very Fluid

So what is the difference between the two? I use a passing 4-2-3-1 with control fluid, and it works very well. I have a good team with good players that fit into my system very well. I tried very fluid and found my team was struggling, and was even less fluid than my normal tactic. I thought I could just leave my tactic the same and change the philosophy and all would be OK. It took a while to perfect my tactic and it works very well, because they way it is set up makes sense. But I can't seem to make sense of the very fluid system.

Fluid assigns five players to be attackers (i.e. high mentality) and five to be defenders (i.e low mentality). I'm not sure how it would split a 4231 and it might even split it 4 attackers and 6 defenders (of else one of the midfielders will be an attacker and one a defender). Note that these are mentalities, how attacking or how defending depends on other criteria as well but the times I've used it I've seen a big split between attack 5 and defend 5 which I was never a fan of. The big split is often so prominent that the name 'fluid' often confuses me. Think Rafa Benitez for fluid.

V.Fluid is a global mentality where every player has the same mentality. The idea is that players are free to choose whether to attack or defend based on the context of the match. The general consensus is that extremely mentally strong players who are well motivated should thrive but I've used it with lesser ability players and generally been pleased with the results. The game will be more unpredictable which isn't to everyone's taste but if you like free roles and creative freedom then the freedom granted by a very fluid mentality might be for you.

Fluid assigns five players to be attackers (i.e. high mentality) and five to be defenders (i.e low mentality). I'm not sure how it would split a 4231 and it might even split it 4 attackers and 6 defenders (of else one of the midfielders will be an attacker and one a defender). Note that these are mentalities, how attacking or how defending depends on other criteria as well but the times I've used it I've seen a big split between attack 5 and defend 5 which I was never a fan of. The big split is often so prominent that the name 'fluid' often confuses me. Think Rafa Benitez for fluid.

V.Fluid is a global mentality where every player has the same mentality. The idea is that players are free to choose whether to attack or defend based on the context of the match. The general consensus is that extremely mentally strong players who are well motivated should thrive but I've used it with lesser ability players and generally been pleased with the results. The game will be more unpredictable which isn't to everyone's taste but if you like free roles and creative freedom then the freedom granted by a very fluid mentality might be for you.

I haven't noticed this "split" at all when playing with a fluid philosophy (which I almost always do). From my experience it just pulls all the mentalities towards the middle (which is based on your team mentality). If you play a standard strategy they will all be pulled towards the middle point (so defenders less defensive, attackers less attacking and players who already had a normal mentality stay the same). With a very fluid philosophy this is put one step further by putting every player on the team mentality so you attack or defend with the whole team. With a fluid philosophy the team also works more together but the defensive players are still a little more defensively minded and attacking players more attacking minded.

In general I would say the better your defenders can contribute in the attack and the more you want your attacking players to contribute with the defense the more fluid you should play. This is a bit simplified as an attacker with a more defensive mentality doesn't necessarily contribute less to the defensive phase but it's a decent simplification. Also if you play more fluid your team plays more "together" as in they all have the same mentality which puts them closer together on the pitch.

Archived