Defensive solidity, attacking fluidity

Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot of threads on here and Zonal Marking blogs, and after playing FM11 for a while and looking for stats I have made a few conclusions about the 'best' way to defend and attack, and what follows are some of my musings and how I have interpreted them into FM11;

Always have a 'spare man' at the back

Looking at the Premiership in FM11 and reading a lot about formations I have found that in game teams in the Prem either play a 442 or a 451 and so to tackle these two defensivley you need either a 2 or 3 man defence, negating the opposition strikers.

Neutralise Opposition Creativity

Looking again at in game, I see that CB's hardly, if ever, contribute going forwards except from set pieces (in terms of assists and/or goals) but that fullbacks (FB/WB) and 'wingers' (MLR/AMLR) create a lot of chances and put them away. So the obvious choice is to have two strikers out wide in defence to cut off the balls from the GK/CBs and two wingbacks to do the same with the 'wingers'

Trust Your Midfeild

After looking at the above, its obvious that you will need two midfeilders in the centre of the park ( Vs 442 - 3 MCs Vs 451) and these need to both create and cut out passes to the opposing midfeild from the GK/CBs. I'm lucky playing as LFC as I have Gerrard, Lucas & Meireles who cand all defend, but are adept at going forward.

'Wingers' score goals not strikers

The old term 'Inside Forward' is back with avengence, these are strikers/wingers who play wide, and if they are good enough and you give them lots of creative freedom, find a lot os space in 'the channels' and pile up the goals. Also if they pin-back the opposition fullbacks then they already start wide when transistioning from attack to defence and move quickly into the gap between FB & CB.

Theory into practice Vs 442

So I create a formation as laid out like this;

lfc523.gif

The DCR & DCL 'Specifically Mark' the two strikers, the WBR & WBL 'Specifically Mark' the two 'wingers' & the SCR & SCL 'Specifically Mark' the Fullbacks. MCR & MCL are on man marking and pick up their opposite men and the SC is on zonal marking and runs down the ball carrier ( GK, DCR or DCL ) and DC is 'sweeping' at the back.

The team is set up for a Fluid/Control stratergy, with shorter passing, while standing off and easy tackling...

Theory into practice Vs 451

So I create a formation as laid out like this;

lfc433.gif

Now the DCR is the 'sweeper' and the DCL 'Specifically Marks' the striker and the DMC 'Specifically Marks' the 'deep striker/AMC', the WBR & WBL 'Specifically Mark' the two 'wingers' & the SCR & SCL 'Specifically Mark' the Fullbacks. MCR & MCL are on man marking and pick up their opposite men and the SC is on zonal marking and runs down the ball carrier ( GK, DCR or DCL ).

Results and conclusions

So far in my 1st season and a half (10 prem games) I have been conceeding rediciously small amounts of goals ( 1 in 10 games avg) and scoring quite a few ( 3 in 1 games avg) and have won all competitions entered in the 1st season.

Now I know this is no great shakes with LFC, but its the stats that are impressing me with minimal buys (Coentrao (WBL), Smithies (GK) and Podolski (STR)).

We average in all games 60% possestion or more, have held Arsenal, Man Utd, Chealsea all to one or fewer shots on target in games

And its lovely to watch the opposition GK & CBs play it about in defence with no-one to pass to, get bored and 'punt' it to the strikers... who loose out to my CBs... its fun to watch as we put three or four unanswered goals in against the very best (domestically) teams.

The only thing that is a pain in the bum, is the specific marking and having to change it every game/change of formation as the tactic sometimes doesn't seem to save correctly with this option on? :thdn:

So anyway, what do you guys think?

All critisism is welcome (apart from my spelling which I know is cronically bad ;) )

I use a very similar system to you. The key player is the DMC. I have Song and Rodwell. They must be capable of playing both the DMC and the DC.

I use Fullbacks and not wingbacks though, and I also use AML and AMr and not three strikers. I do agree though, the inside forwards get lots of scoring chances.

I also don't do a lot of manual marking. I think that beats the whole point of creating a tactic set, which is what I'm trying to do. Manual work is of course better, but I really can't be bothered.

On the whole though, I agree with you that by creating a tactic set (3 formations to be optimal, since that's what you can train in the match prep) you will be well prepared for anything the AI can throw at you.

The only formation I have a problem with is the Chelsea's 4-1-2-1-2. I'm not sure if it's the formation or the world-class personel, but I think it's the former because I can deal with the likes of Barcelona and MAn UTd just fine.

Against a 4-1-2-1-2, then I think some manual marking is required. I go with the 4-5-1 formation, with the backline on zonal marking. This is because their MCs sometimes go wide, and their strikers also sometimes go wide. The key is to man-mark the AMC with your DMC , and max out closing-down on the fullbacks. Their fullbacks must also be man-marked because they have so much space and freedom to roam forward. At least that's how I've been doing it.

There is no shame in adjusting yourself to counter AI. Indeed, it's something many virtual managers should learn to do more often, and better.

Do you play your central forward as a false-nine then? Dropping deep to supply the Inside Forwards with through balls?

I would think he does. He talks about how his inside forwards score the goals, so I think he has the central striker supplying the passes.

I do too. I play a lone striker, and my RvP makes plenty of assists.

Do you play your central forward as a false-nine then? Dropping deep to supply the Inside Forwards with through balls?

Depends upon who's playing to be honest, Caroll (good in the air, not a great finisher) is set as a TargetMan support to use his height whereas Kuyt is used more as a False-nine (Terequista spelling?) support or TargetMan attack (TM supply to feet) and he nets quite a few.

However, if I use Podolski in the middle then he's a targetMan attack as he's good in the air and a good finisher, the only other player I've used here is Ngog who I set up as a poacher because of his stats to some effect.

So it depends upon your players.

Also if your playing with more winger style players at STCL&STCR (Ie better crossers than finishers) then I would look for a good TargetMan attacker.

I would think he does. He talks about how his inside forwards score the goals, so I think he has the central striker supplying the passes.

I do too. I play a lone striker, and my RvP makes plenty of assists.

Prety much correct :thup:

Archived