Central midfielders wide play

This is the area I'm very unsure about. When does wide play comes into effect for a Central midfielder? If I set it to "cut inside," does that mean they will drift back into the middle, the second they go out wide? :confused:

What is "normal" wide play to a central midfielder?

I'm trying to improve the performances of my midfield duo, and I think this is one area I could really improve on.

Cheers.

In relation to central midfielder's wide play refers to the player's behavior off the ball when he finds himself in wide positions.

Normal = normal CM behaviour; won't really be found outside the 18 yard lines -> pretty much your traditional box-to-box centre of the park workhouse

Moves Into Channels = looks to find pockets of space in between opposition lines, in between opposition players. For example, a player with Moves into Channel will often pick the ball up in between the opposition's midfield and defensive lines -> best used for more advanced playmakers in my experience.

Cuts Inside = Doesn't like to drift too far out of the middle, not really much of an effect for a CM. However, if he does find himself drifting wide he'll most likely move back into the middle if he receives a pass, or is no longer involved in the phase of play e.g. he made an overlapping run out wide, ball has been crossed into the middle, CM drifts back inside.

Hugs Touchline = Drags the average position of the player slightly wider -> best used for a narrow midfield if you want the midfielder to track towards the wing defensively; open up width and space in the middle off the ball.

This is the understanding I have on these instructions based on my experience in using them, and on how the match engine interprets these instructions in game.

Hope that makes sense, and if anyone else feels that my understanding and experience is warped feel free to add to the discussion; I think these instructions are something that are often overlooked in player's who aren't inherently wide players. :thup:

So in effect does hugs touchline equate to a side arrow? I've never quite adjusted to these new settings since arrows were removed.

I wouldn't say it's directly = to a side arrow. More that the player's average position is dragged slightly wider. He won't necessarily always be making off the ball runs wide.

If you are after defending the flanks more, then perhaps it would help to have someone centrally placed to move wider. However, I would err against this, personally. It is much more important - generally - to protect the centre of the pitch where the goal is. If you are being beaten down the flanks in a 4312 then ensure that the MCl and MCr are aggressive enough to track the opposition winger and help out their full back. If they aren't the hardworking sort, then they might just stand by and watch as the winger skips down the line to face a one-v-one battle with your fullback. No amount of instructions will force the wrong type of player to close down and help out in defence.

From My general experience, 'hugs touchline' is only implemented as movement whilst (the team) in control of the ball. at the moment, I'm trying out a 541 wingback and box midfield (CM on Deep playmaker def and support roles) the CMs seem to naturally drift out to support the wingbacks in a deffensive situation. I wonder it they had a 'hug touchline' instruction if they would dirft wide the support WB in attack, return to middle when they lose the ball, then drift out again when hey sense that the WB is in trouble... extra running if you ask me

Archived