Just got promoted, is there anything I should change?

Ok, I just got promoted to the Spanish Liga BBVA with Tenerife with the most unconvincing of unbeaten league season, scrapping many lucky wins and draws with my star striker Nino. I didn't get much to spend on my squad in the transfer market so I only brought in a couple of freebies, so I'm left with roughly the same set of players as before.

My problem is while I did score a fair amount of goals in Liga Adelante, I was rarely getting more than 10 shots during a match whilst not having a great control of possession. My worry is that now I have a much higher quality of opposition that my current tactics are just going to leave me hopeless in front of goal and my defensive solidity will be torn apart.

I play a 4-5-1 (1DM, 2CM, 2 Wingers) with a Balanced philosophy and a Control/Standard strategy with the rest of the options on default except for Pressing which is Press more and Marking set to Zonal.

Player Instructions are

GK: Goalkeeper - Defend (Remy Riou/Felipe (both free signings))

RB/LB: Full Back - Support (shorter passing) (Bertran/Beranger)

CBl: Central Defender - Defend (Pejcinovic - 400k from some Serbian team I think)

CBr: Central Defender - Cover (Luna)

DM: Defensive Midfielder - Defend (Camacho- Free)

CMr: Deep Lying Playmaker - Support (Mikel Alonso/Ricardo/Hidalgo)

CMl: Central Midfielder - Attack (Alvarez/Zambrano/Ricardo/Bolanos (Free Signing)

AML/AMR: Winger - Attack (shorter passing) (Omar/Bolanos - Juanlu Hens/Iriome)

ST: Poacher/Deep Lying Forward - Attack (Nino/Natalio)

So with this, should I be ok with what I have or do I need to adopt a more defensive approach because I am not sure my players are good enough for this level.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jamie

Your setup looks good to me (without really knowing anything about your players abilities), I'd only switch the starting strategy to counter or balanced depending on your opponent. Do you have specific reason to put the wingers on short passing? I'd imagine they would work better with a more direct passing game and help you get more shots in. You're going to be playing a lot of tough oppositions in La Liga and with your material (which I assume is decent, but not great), I wouldn't try to hold possession and dominate, just get in the final third quick and try to get a chance at goal.

So yes, the defensive approach (with deadly counter attacks) is IMO a good way to go, so that you can avoid relegation. Then look for good deals, when the transfer window opens to strengthen your team. If you manage to stay up, you can take a new look at your material and think about possible tweaks towards more expansive, control oriented play, if that's what you want to play. Good luck!

Your setup looks good to me (without really knowing anything about your players abilities), I'd only switch the starting strategy to counter or balanced depending on your opponent. Do you have specific reason to put the wingers on short passing? I'd imagine they would work better with a more direct passing game and help you get more shots in. You're going to be playing a lot of tough oppositions in La Liga and with your material (which I assume is decent, but not great), I wouldn't try to hold possession and dominate, just get in the final third quick and try to get a chance at goal.

So yes, the defensive approach (with deadly counter attacks) is IMO a good way to go, so that you can avoid relegation. Then look for good deals, when the transfer window opens to strengthen your team. If you manage to stay up, you can take a new look at your material and think about possible tweaks towards more expansive, control oriented play, if that's what you want to play. Good luck!

The reason that I use the wingers with short passing is so they are more likely to play a safer passing option as neither my first choice wingers are great passers of the ball so anything they do try is usually safe and not giving possession away. I'll try a more direct passing with them as they have been poor so far this season.

So far I'm 8th after 5 games, 2 wins, both at home (Valladolid and Deportivo both 2-1), a draw (Granada) and 2 defeats (Almeria 3-2 and Barcelona 2-0), both away so it's an ok start to the season. I at least have a capable goalkeeper in Felipe, free transfer from Braga who looks very good.

I will continue as I have planned before, making slight adjustments depending on the opposition but keeping the same shape and general mentality.

Thanks for the advice

If you have fast wingers and/or strikers, you can try to defend with 2 DM and 1 CM. It should be possible to score 1 or 2 goals every game from counter attacks and/or corners. (Get someone with high corners, crossing) and someone >1,90 with jumping/heading/anticipation/bravery for attacking and standing on the far post.)

I had a moderately successful season (in the German league) by playing "control" with 2 DM (CM or no CM sometimes). 2 DM means not a lot of possession in opponent's half. Long passes from own half into opponents half and lots of dribblings of the lone poacher guy upfront. It depends on the quality of your midfielders and fullbacks how you want to play. If your fullbacks are any good on attack you can try to actually play football. If they suck you are better off defending.

At the moment (8 seasons later) I play with 3 CM (1 or 2 Deep Lying PM, 1 Adv PM (Attack)) but this strategy is about scoring as many goals as possible.

Archived