Adventures Abroad 2.5: An American Behind the Iron Curtain

ArranoBeltza

Well, I gave up on my last story quickly (got too impatient), and tried to start another, but didn't know the seven days rule! Now that the seven days are up, I'm starting anew, this time with the Eastern European Leagues loaded (as I tried to do before).

I'll be doing it the same as the original story- starting unemployed, and I'll write as though I'm writing a diary (I will try to keep it simple, most of the added details will probably be fictional tidbits about my personal life). I will post at least one new "diary entry" a week (IRL week), and will post game updates as I see fit.

Leagues loaded: Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Ukraine. All of these have two playable divisions. Since I lived in Slovakia for three months (studied abroad there from February 2009-May2009), that's where I'll begin.

Personal Info

History

Biography

JUNE 8, 2010

Here I am, back in Bratislava! I landed in Vienna today, and had on of my old friends here pick me up for the one hour drive back into Bratislava. Good to be back, and luckily a friend is letting me stay with her until I can get on my feet a bit.

I'm tired, and there's lots of jetlag, and I need to get settled in, but I must begin applying to jobs immediately! But, hey, maybe after putting in some applications and a nap, I can go out and enjoy some of the amazingly good, amazingly cheap beer they've got here!

JUNE 9, 2010

I hardly had any time to settle in Slovakia before I got numerous calls back about jobs- I eventually settled on joining Bulgarian B Group side Chavdar Etropole. The team has some history, good enough budgets to be competitive, and a squad that is good enough to finish in the top-half of the table already. Of course, I'll be evaluating the players and staff in the next couple days, as well as beginning the search for possible transfer targets.

Etropole is a small town, but seems comfortable enough. I still haven't adjusted to the time difference yet and, after drinking beers with my Slovak friends last night, I need rest. I will have time to check out the town later.

Archived