Laying The Foundations!

Lord Crumb

A few months ago I suffered a fit of rage and smashed my FM 05 disc. Today I purchased a new copy and am now ready to play on.

I wanted a change from Sutton, however I still wanted to remain in the non-league. I decided to follow in someone else’s footsteps.

I am following Faramir’s Harrow Hill story. He had the task of building a team from scratch. I admit without shame, that I decided to copy his idea. However I have a real life case I can take inspiration from.

For about two years Hornchurch were aided by a Sugar Daddy. He funded them into the FCS and turned them into a force to be reckoned with. However early in the season the bubble burst, the Sugar Daddy went bankrupt, Hornchurch lost the ability to keep their players. Their demise allowed Grays to run away with the title.

EVENTUALLY HORNCHURCH WENT BUST, A LOT OF RIVAL FANS SNIGGERED GLEEFULLY AT THEIR DEMISE!

Fortunately my story takes place in a parallel universe. The Chairman’s refrigeration and Upholstery business goes up in smoke before the season starts. All the players leave, the staff follow them out.

A new Chairman is appointed a virtual nonentity. He brings with him a new manager, a man who is very experienced at not being very experienced at particularly anything. Well anything useful anyway.

No Players and a reduced budget. Should be fun!

A few months ago I suffered a fit of rage and smashed my FM 05 disc. Today I purchased a new copy and am now ready to play on.

I wanted a change from Sutton, however I still wanted to remain in the non-league. I decided to follow in someone else’s footsteps.

I am following Faramir’s Harrow Hill story. He had the task of building a team from scratch. I admit without shame, that I decided to copy his idea. However I have a real life case I can take inspiration from.

For about two years Hornchurch were aided by a Sugar Daddy. He funded them into the FCS and turned them into a force to be reckoned with. However early in the season the bubble burst, the Sugar Daddy went bankrupt, Hornchurch lost the ability to keep their players. Their demise allowed Grays to run away with the title.

EVENTUALLY HORNCHURCH WENT BUST, A LOT OF RIVAL FANS SNIGGERED GLEEFULLY AT THEIR DEMISE!

Fortunately my story takes place in a parallel universe. The Chairman’s refrigeration and Upholstery business goes up in smoke before the season starts. All the players leave, the staff follow them out.

A new Chairman is appointed a virtual nonentity. He brings with him a new manager, a man who is very experienced at not being very experienced at particularly anything. Well anything useful anyway.

No Players and a reduced budget. Should be fun!

So what was it that Gary Calder saw in me? Cruel people gossiped relentlessly, I was his lovechild, he owed me money, I owed him money and he wanted a scapegoat. Some people even suggested that we were lovers, absurd!. I am not gay or particularly attractive to gays, anyway Calder already had a boyfriend, a Spanish guy called Carlos, who ran a Brothel in the Costa Del Sol.

That is how Mr Calder was able to keep the club afloat. When Carthium went bust, no more money came in, all the players and staff were released. What an awful thing to happen so soon before the beginning of the season. Serves Hornchurch right for taking money from a double glazing firm!

Fate bailed Hornchurch out though. Calder needed to get away from all the backbiting and hatred, he took a holiday in Spain.

Calder has needs. He is a red blooded homosexual, a depressed homosexual who felt empty inside. However his emptiness would be filled nicely by Carlos, soon to be his bed friend and business partner.

They met at a bar called Los Magrita. A few beers and fumbled groping's later they had become well acquainted and hatched a business plan.

Carlos was well known in the Costa Del Sol, especially within the Gay community. The resort has a big tourist industry, with all the vices that brings. However Carlos and Gary instantly spotted a niche in the market. Gay visitors were not catered for!

Gary soon changed that, he provided the money and worked out the overheads, Carlos provided in depth knowledge of the clientele and a certain flair for self-publicity. An excellent partnership was formed, The Costa had its first Gay Brothel.

The money provided was enough to keep Hornchurch afloat. However the club still needed a Manager and players. This is where I come in.

I was appointed for the strangest of reasons, during a night of drunken passion, Gary and Carlos were discussing the appointment of a new manager. Carlos suggested that any donkey can run a football team. Gary took him up on this and picked out a name at random from the Phone Book.

He picked Vermont Dantering.

The strange thing is.... I’m Ex-Directory!

Hornchurch is a pretty small place. Its stadium is situated in nearby Upminster. The town doesn’t really have a big enough fanbase to pull in the crowds, however since becoming successful the fans have appeared out of the woodwork.

Whoever named the ground won no awards for originality. It is merely called “ The Stadiumâ€. The training grounds are similarly unimpressive, good for this level but still not all that great. At least I get a nice well-furnished office.

The playing staff is nonexistent, It’ll be up to me to build the squad from the ground up. We do have a coaching staff, they are useless however. It is over them that I have my first disagreement with Calder.

I call in Simon Price and Adam Gallagher. I inform them that their services are no longer required, They are understandably upset by this and take the matter to the chairman. He has a fit and cancels my instructions, apparently their dismissal would cost far too much money.

I am annoyed at being countermanded, those two individuals are deadwood and will play no part at the club, they will just sit on their asses and collect a paycheck!

I quickly build up the rest of my staff. I quickly bring in Jon Cockerill as my assistant. Peter Beardsley joins him as a coach. John Laidlow and Ian John serve as scouts. It isn’t the biggest of coaching teams but it’ll have to do. Hopefully Peter’s English has improved since the last time I saw him on National TV!

I turn my attention to building up the playing staff. I have 30k to spend and a Wage budget of roughly £4000 a week. The wage budget is roughly average for the league, the difference for me though is that I have no expensive White Elephants eating up the wage bill!

Roughly forty players turn up for the trials. They’ll face off against lower league opposition. They’ll have to impress me to survive, I only expect half to succeed.

Sadly our first friendly is scheduled before we can bring any players in. It is away to Fulham reserves. The youth team fills in for the missing players and acquit themselves well but still lose 3-1.

For the rest of the matches we do have a team to select from. Unfortunately they perform very averagely. Out of seven friendlies we win two and lose five. Not an auspicious start, I am not very hopeful of our chances this season, we lost against some very ordinary teams.

Fulham (H) 1-3

Slough (A) 0-1

Fakenham (H) 2-0

Bromsgrove (A) 1-0

Salisbury (A) 0-2

Solihull (A) 0-1

Despite this I manage to get a squad assembled, I just hope they can perform for me!

A squad of misfits and reprobates is assembled. Hopefully I’ll be able to make something out of them.

GOALKEEPERS

Shaun Allaway

Shaun will be my first choice, has a save pair of hands and doesn’t lose his nerve when he is the last line of defence.

Mark Ovendale

An experienced keeper, not as good at handling the ball as Allaway, he does have the reflexes of a cat and is confident in the air.

Nicholas Stones

Third choice, weak in the air but rarely finds himself in the wrong place.

DEFENDERS

Jonathon Heathcote

My first Choice Leftback. Reasonably fast and strong, doesn‘t have much competition, I need to strengthen this area of the team..

Nick Boothby

A reasonably well rounded Central Defender who doesn’t excel at anything. A backup player.

John Burwood

A talented Central Defender who towers over the opposition. Despite his young age is a dead cert starter in central defence.

Tom Culshaw

Not as talented as Burwood, he is more experienced however and is very influential. A possible captain and a definite starter in Central Defence.

Lee Marshall

An experienced Right Back who can operate in midfield. With his ability to find space I expect him to make forays into the opposing half pretty often.

Tolo Mas

Veteran Rightback who like Marshall can operate in Midfield. Very good backup.

Danny Vella

Backup for Heathcote at Leftback. Not so great as a defender, prefers to play in midfield.

I have a big squad and the midfielders are up next!

MIDFIELDERS

Paul Rickers

My backup defensive midfielder who can also player right midfield. Reasonable defensive and offensive capabilities, dangerous from long range.

Pat Lynott

First Choice defensive midfielder, excellent tackler who enjoys playing in a team. Very unselfish and hardworking.

Sean Coburn

Right Winger excellent crosser of the ball, good dribbler and superb from set pieces and corners. Only downside is a lack of staying power.

Gavin Skelton

Utility midfielder who can play in any position. Good passer and very creative. Also handy at dead ball situations.

Darren Beasley

Good all-round midfielder who has the potential to develop into a superb player. At the moment is backup for Salt.

Phil Salt

I headhunted this guy. First name on the team sheet, good passer and very creative. Team captain.

Shaun Wray

Right-Winger. More rounded than Coburn but not so good a crosser. Will be his understudy.

Adam Buckley

Left sided midfielder. A temperamental character, very dangerous down the wing. If I can forge him will turn out well for us.

Jon Willis

A creative attacking midfielder who also happens to be a deadly finisher. Won’t get many chances this season but is useful to have in the squad.

Ben Woods

Can play in attacking midfield or as a forward. Very good dribbler and deadly finisher, needs to work on his space finding though.

Ricardo Beckford

Left sided midfielder who can also play as a forward. Very fast and good on the ball, less rounded than Buckley. If Buckley falters, Beckford will pounce.

Shane Tolley

Another well-rounded midfielder good at firing the ball doesn’t excel in any areas so will find most utility as backup to the Forward line.

STRIKERS

Ian Duerden

Has been around a bit. Very good off the ball and a decent finisher. Should have a much better goalscoring record than he does.

Gareth Law

The best finisher in the squad, also deadly from long range and never give ups. Relentless

So thats my squad. The only areas I think are weak are the left side of defence and the forward lines. The rest of my squad has depth.

So the season begins, I hope we can do well this year, Hornchurch are not the force that they once were.

FIRST CHOICE TEAM THIS SEASON

GK Allaway

DL Heathcote

DR Marshall

DC Culshaw

DC Burwood

ML Buckley

MR Coburn

DMC Lynott

MC Salt

FC Tolley

FC Duerden

Redbridge 1) 1-2 (1 Hornchurch

An equal sided match, our superior finishing made the difference! The wingers provided both the goals, Tolley and Duerden scoring on their debuts.

My formation was a little leaky, I changed it by canceling the attacking runs of my wingers. That tightened us up considerably and we were much more comfortable in the second half.

Our wingers played well and Phil Salt was instrumental in midfield.

Bishop’s Stortford 1) 2-5 (3 Hornchurch

I rested most of the team for this game and discovered a star. Gareth Law was blinding and grabbed four of the five goals. Ben Wood grabbed the other. An all round good performance from the squad. Allaway had another indifferent game though, changes will be made.

Hornchurch 1) 2-0 ( St Albans

Law kept his place in the team for this match and he repaid my faith with a goal, he latched onto a superb Lynott through ball. Duerden scored the other goal in a tightly contested match. St Albans were very physical and received 5 yellow cards. Sadly the only red card was awarded to sub Ben woods, who shoved New Zealander Chris Zoricich over.

Mark Ovendale had a good game in goal, he lent stability to the back line, Law was awarded man of the match.

Due to his stupid dismissal in the previous match I officially warned Ben Woods. He apologized profusely for his mistake and promised to control his temper in future games.

Hornchurch 1) 2-0 (0 Havant & Waterlooville

Another tight match for us, it could be argued that Havant had the better of the play. Gareth Law and Sub Shane Tolley made the difference.

Weymouth 0-0 Hornchurch

Our first dropped points of the season and what a tight ill tempered game it was. Clear chances were few and far between. Ovendale and Salt were once again instrumental for us.

Five games gone and we sit in 1st place, two points clear of Basingstoke who are also undefeated.

Hornchurch 0-0 Newport County

A truly awful game that only had two proper shots on goal throughout. Both sides picked up many injuries through the match, we lost Burwood to groin strain. Ovendale received the MoM award, strange considering he had not a save to make throughout!

Coburn and Law had poor games, I can allow a blip from Law but Coburn has been very average this season.

Burwood is out for three weeks with groin strain. He has been stalwart in Central Defence and will be tough to replace. Now Boothby has his chance.

Hornchurch 1) 1-0 (0 Margate

Another tough game for us, this time against sixth paced Margate. I replaced Coburn with Wray and he had a decent if unspectacular game. Gareth Law headed in the only goal from a 20th corner. The game was very tight until mid way through the second half, when I changed to a counterattacking formation. We seemed to dominate the game after that.

A good if unspectacular performance from the boys. Marshall, Buckley and Law all had good games.

Fifth game in a row without conceding, we seem to be transforming into a dour defensive team. A good basis from which to start,.

We discover that the Yorkshiremen from Guisely will visit the Stadium in the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup. We promise them a warm welcome.

My scouts return from their jaunts around England. They find a few good players but not many who can fit into our awkward positions. Next up for them is a ferry to Denmark.

Hornchurch 0) 1-0 (0 Eastbourne Borough

I rested many of my main string for the visit of lowly Eastbourne. We were well on top in this game and we were given a further advantage when Eastbourne lost a player due to a reckless challenge on Beckford just before half time. However it seemed as if we would not get our rewards for our effort. It wasn’t until 10 minutes before the end that Coburn scored with a shot just outside the area.

A good performance from the team, however Tolley and Woods squandered many chances. Eight games without defeat.

Both Tolley and Beckford sustained injuries during the match. Beckfords injury was minor but Tolley will be out for two weeks.

Hornchurch 0) 2-2 (1 Guisely

The reserves took to the field for this game, they didn’t exactly impress me, I had to rely on the Elite Guard to get me out of this one!

Shaun Wray made things difficult for us when he received his second yellow on 23 minutes and left the field of play. I had to juggle the team around to cover the gaps, I brought on Marshall for Woods and stuck him on the wing.

Marshall was responsible for their first goal, he launched a ridiculous backpass from midfield, which found one of their players. We went into half time 1-0 down.

Most of the second half wasn’t any better. It wasn’t long before they went 2-0 up. I brought on Duerden and Salt after that calamity.

Marshall redeemed himself with a goal from the penalty spot after 64 minutes. Guisely stepped on their backfoot and went on the defensive.

It took up until the final few minutes of the game for us to get back in. Salt went on a mazy individual run and slotted past the keeper.

I expected to dispose of Guisely in this round, at least we ahve another bite of the cherry.

FA CUP 2ND QUAL REPLAY

Guisely 0) 1-3 (0 Hornchurch aet

A very tough game in which history repeated itself. I replaced the suspended Wray with Gavin Skelton. It was only six minutes into the game when he got himself sent off, for repeated dissent. I was furious that lightning had struck twice. Once again I was on the backfoot and had to reshuffle my team, Gareth Law was replaced with Marshall, I only had Woods in attack and he lost energy very quickly.

It was a good game but it didn’t reach its full potential because of the Referees absurd strictness. He handed out a total of 9 yellow cards in this game, his constant whistle blowing restricted the flow.

The game was goalless by the end of normal time, we had Stones in goal to thank for that. Both teams had used all their subs and we were handed a boon, when striker Ben Gallagher injured himself just before the end. Guisely shifted their players into midfield and attack, I took advantage of this by shifting my assaults onto the wing. We were equal again.

All the fun occurred in extra time, both teams were tired and mistakes were made aplenty. Ian Duerden was splendid as a provider and he made the first goal, his cross finding the ever reliable Salt in the box.

It took the home team three minutes to reply, I defence was split and Scott Jackson found himself in acres of space. His shot went in off the post and I found myself dreading a penalty shootout.

I need not have worried though, our superior fitness really paid dividends in the second half of extra time. Beckford was a terror on the left wing, four minutes from the end he received a long throw on the edge of the area, his shot trickled beneath the keeper and went in.

Lee Marshall finished the game off just before the end, he nodded in a Beckford cross.

Beckford and Stones were immense for us, they won the game. The rest of the team played reasonably well also.

We are through to the next round, where we’ll face Dover at home.

I am thankful that we have a large squad to pick from, come Saturday we’ll have a fresh team to select from.

FA CUP 3RD QUALIFYING ROUND

Hornchurch 0-0 Dover

A frustrating game for us, we were dominant but unable to produce many meaningful goal scoring opportunities. The best chance fell for Woods in the second half, his shot was pushed onto the post. Yet another cup replay to look forward to.

A very average performance from the team.

If we win at Dover on Wednesday, we have another home match against Croydon to look forward to.

FA CUP 3RD QUALIFYING ROUND REPLAY

Dover 2) 2-0 (0 Hornchurch

For us a forgettable game, Dover were much more interested in the game and in Matt Carruthers they had a match-winner. A very disappointing loss and to be honest, we were never in this game.

The reserves have had their runout and to be honest, they haven’t really impressed me that much.

Basingstoke 1) 3-4 (1 Hornchurch

A very entertaining match, though not quite as close run a thing as you’d expect, for a lot of the game Ovendale was very shaky in goal . He was directly responsible for 2 of them.

We took an early lead thanks to Law’s poaching instincts, we were secure for most of the half until Ovendale decided to bat the ball into his own net!

Basingstoke have the services of Paul Gascgoine and despite his lack of pace he caused us all sorts of trouble. Just after the restart he latched onto a cross and placed the ball beyond Ovendale.

Ian Duerden came into his own in this match, he happily lapped up the excellent service provided by Phil Salt and in the space of 4 minutes he scored 2. All down to his ability to find space. Scant minutes later Salt had provided a 4th and I thought we were secure.

Basingstoke were not happy to stay idle though and on 80 minutes, Zok scored a bizarre goal. Ovendale was busy watching the flight of a Gascgoine through ball and was wrong-footed when the ball struck Zok’s head and sent him the opposite direction.

It was a fraught final ten minutes, we managed to hold on though

Tolley was brought on late in the half, he had a number of chances but was always bested by the keeper, he should be able to do better than that!

Salt and Duerden were superb!

Carshalton Athletic 0) 2-1 (0 Hornchurch

I rested a few of the squad for this trip to leafy Surrey

A very frustrating game for us, we hit the bar twice. I thought the game would be goalless but with seven minutes to go Beckford put in a rebound. We were safe up until the last three minutes, when Ovendale fouled up again, he was woefully positioned for a long range shot. Just before the end they scored again, due to a defensive mix up.

Ovendale had a poor game and Tolley missed a few more good chances. Carshalton were bottom placed as well!

Things seem to be fading away for us, I have some work to do.

Hornchurch 1) 2-0 (0 Sutton Utd

Our full team returned for this game and we enjoyed a return to form. I was dubious for the first ten minutes because Sutton came at us strongly but once we got over our nerves, things became easy for us. Once Law got bundled over on 26 minutes, we never looked back. Burwood converted the penalty and we were on our way.

We strolled through the rest of the game, Salt finished the game midway through the second half with an easy tap-in.

A workmanlike performance but very efficient. Culshaw and Burwood were dominant in defence.

For the FA Trophy First Round we are drawn at home to Wealdstone. I expect no repeats of our FA Cup calamity.

The cracks are beginning to show in the team, the only way I was able to sign the players was to assure them that they would play regularly. Obviously a few players haven’t figured that often and are now unhappy. The goalkeepers have all complained about being rotated around, now Beasley and Willis are voicing their concerns. Time for me to stop lying.

FA TROPHY FIRST ROUND

Hornchurch 1) 4-1 (1 Wealdstone

Wealdstone put up a valiant struggle but in the end we simply outclassed them. They didn’t help themselves when one of their defenders got dismissed needlessly. It took 40 minutes for us to break through, courtesy of Ian Duerden. We were rocked though when the away team equalized soon after. Allaway fumbled the ball and it bobbled into the path of their striker, who tapped it in at close range.

We came into the second half with a renewed sense of purpose. They found it very difficult to deal with Gareth Law and he soon scored twice, giving us a nice cushion. I brought on Beckford and he scored just before the end, allowing us a very comfy victory.

Our wingers were the key to this game, Buckley and Coburn provided a great service. Law was superb in the conversion of the chances provided.

After the game a host of my reserves cornered me and voiced their discontent at their role in the squad. None of them want to leave the team though!

Hornchurch 0) 1-0 (0 Bognor Regis

We totally dominated this game, Bognor didn’t get a look in. However it took an injury time winner from Law to finish our opponents off. A game we deserved to win.

Lewes 0) 1-1 (0 Hornchurch

A tough game against second placed Lewes. They performed better than us for most of the game. We took the lead with our only chance of the game, a deflected Coburn free kick in the second half. It didn’t take long for them to equalize though and we had some frantic defending to do throughout the rest of the game. We held on for the draw though.

It was a good defenders game, Burwood in particular played well.

Maidenhead 0) 0-3 (1 Hornchurch

With a lot of my regulars tired, the second string took to the pitch and they had a pretty easy time of it. Tolley was much more efficient in front of goal in this match and grabbed the first two. Burwood scored the last, he came steaming in from a corner. Maidenhead had chances of their own, their lack of finishing prowess explains their low position.

Danny Vella enjoyed his time on the left wing, he was our key figure.

My scouts enjoyed their 2 month trip to Denmark, unfortunately they didn’t find me many players. As soon as they have reported in, I send them off to Finland. Maybe they will strike lucky there. I’d love to sign the next Jari Litmaenen.

FA TROPHY 2ND ROUND

Folkestone Invicta 1 )1 -3 (0 Hornchurch

I had a league game coming up in midweek so I kept the dame side that defeated Maiden head. The only change was that I rested Heathcote, replaced him with Vella and brought in Beckford onto the Left Wing.

A nervy beginning to the match, Folkestone had a very narrow formation, so I tried to shift all my attacks down the wings, it wasn’t a successful stratagem and for the first 25 minutes Folkestone were all over us. Only some brave keeping from Stones and woeful finishing kept them out. I took the shackles of my team and they began to play better football. Both Wray and Woods had good chances soon after the changes were made. I was just beginning to relax when Folkestone scored, a superb Munday free-kick just before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half we had still failed to make any inroads, I brough off Rickers and Tolley and brought on Heathcote and Duerden. I moved Vella to the Left Wing and placed Beckford as the left sided attacker. We were now playing 4-3-3.

My gambit paid off, Folkestone were slow to adapt, Vella provided our equalizer, he raced down the left wing and crossed for Duerden, who nodded it in. Not long afterwards a Wray cross found Woods, his shot was saved but it found Beckford, who made no mistake.

It was at this point that I made another change, Beckford was knackered and he made way for Marshall, who replaced Mas at Right Back. I reverted to my normal formation and Mas was the only defensive midfielder I had.

Folkestone didn’t really trouble us and on 82 minutes, Woods added a 3rd, he dribbled past the central defenders and this time, his finishing was much better.

The referee announced four minutes of injury time, as I noticed the board, Lee Marshall brought down a Folkestone defender just as he was clean through on goal. As you can guess, he was sent off and we’d have a hairy 4 minutes to endure.

Fortress Hornchurch held. We were through to the next round.

We are drawn away to Hemel Hempstead for the 3rd round of the FA Trophy. They have quite a few good experienced players, so could prove a tough nut to crack.

Hornchurch 1) 2 -0 (0 Welling Utd

A potentially difficult game against sixth placed Welling. The first quarter hour was uneventful, but things livened up when a Heathcote Free Kick was deflected in by the wall. The defences remained tight for the next fifteen minutes, then things began to liven up. Duerden had a header just over the bar and then on 35 minutes, Tolo Mas brought down Danny Slatter in the area. Greg Goodridge stepped up arrogantly.... and blasted the ball over, how I laughed!

The second half started off with a bang, Stones saving superbly from a header. Soon after Welling made our job much much easier when Elliot Ward got himself sent off for dissent.

I brought on Woods for Duerden and instructed him to make runs into Wellings weakened left side. This soon paid dividends, Law picked up a through ball but was muscled off the ball, Woods picked it up and finished superbly. We now had a cushion.

Wellings threat was nullified for the rest of the game, we ran out handy winners.

Hayes 2 )2 - 1( 1Hornchurch

Hayes started of strongly, testing the defence with a few long range efforts but we took the early advantage. Marshall provided an excellent long ball that split the home defence. Law raced through the gap and finished well, 1-0.

Hayes continued to pressure us and were well worth their equalizer 11 minutes later. They had finally found their range. They took the lead on the half hour mark, a splendid Ryan Robinson freekick. We were under the cosh for the rest of the and rarely got a look in.

I tried to change our formation in the second half but it was useless. We underperformed today and Hayes deserved to win.

Nicholas Stones had a bad day in goal, time for a change I think.

It is Monday the 13th of December, soon It’ll be the hectic Christmas season and I want my boys to be ready. I institute a rigorous fitness regime, similar to the Pre Season Schedule.

We have some very tough games ahead of us. Three of our opponents are in the top ten, including in-form Grays and Weston Super Mare.

Hornchurch 0 )3 -0 (0 Weston-Super-Mare

I changed formations for this game in an attempt to cease our recent slight dip in form. I plumped for a straight back four, with Beasley joining Salt in Central Midfield.

We had most of the possession in the first twenty minutes but Weston had most of the shots, fortunately long range efforts that failed to trouble Stones. Soon after we received the first good chance, Duerden was free on the wing and crossed for Law, whose shot was well saved.

The rest of the half was somewhat dull. As soon as we got the ball into the box, Weston would stifle us for space and remove the danger.

For the second half I moved our attacks to the flank and attempted to spread the play. It took over 25 minutes for the play to liven up, it proved to be a substitution that did the trick, Ben Woods came on for the weary Duerden. Soon after he pounced on a Burwood free-kick and slotted the ball just past their keeper. Advantage Hornchurch.

It took Weston a little time to put an offensive forward but eventually they started to threaten. On eighty one of their players got free in the box and hit the bar.

Five minutes before time Heathcote converted a free-kick on the edge of the box. That was just the cushion we needed! Woods put us further ahead when he capitalized on a Weston defensive comedy of errors. He received the killer ball from Skelton.

We finished worthy winners, Woods proved very effective.

Cambridge City 0)0 -1 (0 Hornchurch

I rested Beasley and Heathcote for this game, Vella and Skelton were promoted to the first team. Cambridge are mid-table at the moment but could still pose a threat.

We attacked right from the kick-off, Duerden getting free in the box, his shot was easily saved though. Cambridge replied almost instantly, their retort being saved by Stones in similar fashion. Culshaw was on hand to shepherd the ball out of play.

It was a lively first ten minutes, chances almost seeming to fall in a tit for tat fashion. The game did die down though and it took another fifteen minutes for the next chance. That was a Law effort that went well over.

The half finished goalless, Duerden missed the best chance of the half, blasting the ball over at close range. In his defence he was under pressure from a defender. Law also broke free in similar fashion but had his goal disallowed.

I put Woods in Coburn’s slot for the Second half, I hoped that his dangerous on the ball skills would prove dangerous.

It took fifteen minutes for us to score, the ever reliable Salt was responsible. An assured finish just inside the box. Now we’d be on the defensive though.

Near the end of the game I was forced into the unusual situation of putting a defender into attack! Tolo Mas was the man and he had a great time. He had five point blank chances and missed every single one, each shot failing to test the keeper.

We had a scare late on when a Simpson shot was disallowed for offside but the home attack lost momentum when Itonga got himself sent off for a second bookable offence. We held on.

Buckley was superb on the wing and Salt’s contribution was vital.

A good start to our Christmas program.

Boxing Day has arrived and we have a stern test in the shape of rivals Grays.

Hornchurch 1) 1- 1 (0 Grays

A very tight first half, it took over half an hour for the first meaningful chance and it fell to the opposition, Martin of Grays striking the bar with a long range shot. I noticed that we were getting swamped in midfield, so I ensured that Beasley spent all his time in the centre.

It was through wingplay that we took the lead, Buckley delivering an excellent cross for Law, who finished well. We held the lead till half-time.

The second half took a while to heat up, it did once I brought on my substitutes. Grays had changed to a 4--4-3 and began to swamp my midfield. On 65 Thurgood broke through our defence and forced a good save from Stones, Vella picked up the ball and started a counter, the ball reached Law in the area but his shot went out for a corner.

The second half was pretty tight, clear chances being few and far between. It took a freak for Grays to equalize, a Togwell cross from the Right Wing curving wickedly over Stones into the net.

The rest of the game wasn’t short on chances but it did lack goals. The highlights were another Grays shot that came off the bar and a mazy Woods run that was poorly finished.

In all a credible draw. Buckley had another superb game on the wing, he was only overshadowed by the Grays keeper. Beasley had an awful game in midfield, didn’t do himself any favours in his battle to be recognized as a first team player.

Thurrock 1) 2- 0(0 Hornchurch

We stay in Essex for the next game of our Christmas season. It was a tough first half for us, Thurrock were dominant and took the lead just before half time, a Kandol header looping over Stones.

I didn’t make many changes in the second half, I just pushed my players up a bit.

I changed to a more attacking formation for the second half but the luck just wasn’t with us. We had difficulty creating chances and Thurrock went further ahead thanks to a long range Plummer effort. They held onto their advantage without really breaking a sweat.

Not a bad performance strangely enough, Stones was the weak link in goal.

Contract renewal comes around. I offer everyone a new contract except for Jon Willis who hasn’t figured in my plans. I place him on the transfer list.

Hornchurch 0 ) 0- 1( 1 Dorchester

If there was any game I expected to win it was this one. However we were very below par in this one and fell to a 1-0 defeat. The chances were just not there for us. In short, we were lacking.

A mixed bag over Christmas, maybe I’ll revert to our old formation, not really convinced by the new style. I am also frustrated by my inability to come up with an all out pull a goal back strategy, we usually seem to fade if we go behind.

Hornchurch 1 )1 - 3(1 Bishops Stortford

We humiliated Stortford at their ground, this was a much closer match however. Until the second half when Bishop’s played the much better football.

The only consolation was a freaky Woods goal. Stones cancelled that out with a bizarre punch into his own net, his form got progressively worse from there.

We lost, Stones had another dreadful game and will find himself short of two weeks wages. I also savage him in the press, If I can’t shame him into a decent performance, then he’ll have to go.

Wealdstone offer 5k for Willis, I accept.

A worrying spell of form, I have no idea how to salvage things.

The fans rip into Stones, they are very unimpressed by his efforts. I also learn through my sources that poor Nicky dislikes me. Probably too late to patch things up. On the list he goes.

Jon Willis finally leaves Essex for Wealdstone, I wish him luck, he didn’t do anything wrong, he just didn’t figure.

The rebuilding starts here.

I am willing to take counsel on this, changing formations has done nothing for us, I'm so desperate I might even try a 3-5-2, something I haven't dabbled with since CM2!

One way to solve my current woes is to add to my coaching staff. So it is with great fanfare that I unveil two new members of the Hornchurch team. Tony’s Cottee and Godden. Both are excellent all-round coaches . Godden will take over the responsibility for the Goalkeeping duties.

St Albans 1) 1-1 (1 Hornchurch

A frustrating game for us, our defense was still a little creaky and when we did get the upper hand, their goalkeeper denied us.

We took the lead early on through a long range law effort, sadly they replied soon after. The rest of the game was a litany of missed chances. Law was clean through on goal once, Duerden had a similar opportunity. Every time their keeper saved them,.

I thought the sending off of their Central Defender would help us. It didn’t much. Even another dismissal just before the end didn’t help us.

The rot was ended but a draw to a lowly team like St Albans is still unsatisfactory.

Hornchurch 0) 2-0 (0 Redbridge

A tight dull game. It only came alive in the second half, when Redbridge had a man sent off. Ben Woods came on soon after and scored both goals. He is making a very good claim for a regular place. Duerden can feel him breathing down his neck!

FA TROPHY 3RD ROUND

Hemel Hempstead 1) 3-2 (1 Hornchurch

We were let down by our keeper Ovendale in this game. His opposite number played superbly. Tolley and Woods grabbed the goals for us.

Not a bad performance, Ovendale was the weak link though. I appear to have serious goalkeeping difficulties, none of them are capable of consistency!

Harrow Boro come in with an offer for Nicholas Stones. They put 3k on the table. I’ll be happy to lose that deadweight!

I am successful in the vast majority of my contract negotiations. The bulk of my team will stay with me for a further two years. The only rebel is Danny Vella, who has rejected £160 a week and a sizable assist bonus. He is my only cover for Heathcote at LB, so I may be forced to delve into the market soon.

Havant & Waterlooville 0)1 -3 (1 Hornchurch

A real six pointer of a match, Havant are 4 points behind us and have enjoyed much better recent form. Fortunately I had a much stronger team available than the side that lost at Hemel. I decided to put solidity above flair, I would ensure that my defence was sound.

The major change I made was the inclusion of Ben Woods as partner to Law. He has been much more prolific than Duerden.

The game got off to a shaky start, inside 5 minutes Holligan got free in our box and forced a save out off Allaway. However we settled down and Havant started to make a few mistakes of their own. The passing between their defence was awful and it wasn’t long before we had taken advantage, Salt intercepted the ball in midfield and released Woods , who had just enough legs to get off a shot, a telling shot! One Nil to us.

The rest of the half was just a case of cementing our dominance. Woods was released again on the half hour mark, unfortunately his finishing was off. Gareth Law solidified our dominance just before half time though. He was under pressure all the way into the box but his finish was sure. An excellent position for us to be in.

It should have been obvious that Havant would attack from the off. They caught me unprepared before I could get my defence in place, Holligan dribbled splendidly on the wing and crossed for Gordon, who caught Allaway slightly out of position.

I decided to go on the defensive. Mas and Vella replaced Coburn and Buckley. I swapped Marshall for Mas. It would be dreary counter attacking football from now on!

Not a bad decision! Heathcote intercepted the ball in defence and began it all. Lynott supplied the killer ball and Law once again shrugged off the opposition and scored. We had our advantage again.

Havant perspired heavily but apart from a few near misses were unable to breach the box. Law had a good chance to earn his second Hattrick of the season but he hit the side netting after rounding the keeper.

A superb team perfomance, especially from Lynott in midfield and Law. My faith has been restored after this fine performance.

My happy spell continued the following afternoon when I accepted an offer from Harrow Boro for Stones. I look forward to his departure.

Hornchurch 1) 2- 1 (1 Weymouth

Despite their fatigue I kept the same side that vanquished Havant. Weymouth are in 6th and should prove a stern test.

Things didn’t start well for us, Kirk Jackson was hit in the face by the ball and deflected the ball into the net. We put the away team under a lot of pressure following that and soon made chances, both of them following to Woods. The first he blasted over, the second was far more accurate and we had our equalizer!

The rest of the half was a tight affair, Salt headed the ball over from a Law cross and Allaway did well to palm away a Jackson shot. 1-1 at half time, the away time had a slight edge over us!

We dominated the first twenty minutes of the second half. Havant were lucky to survive another Woods dribble, he blasted over the bar but on 59 minutes Law struck. He recieved a Heathcote cross and converted well.

We effectively nullified them for the rest f the game and had some decent chances of our own on the counter. We held on quite comfortably for the win.

Nicholas Stones has finally left, not before letting me know how much he dislikes me though. I thoughtfully withhold his pay-packet.

Newport County 2)2 -2 (1 Hornchurch

Why is it that we seem to falter against the lower teams. At Newport we had an awful first half and conceded two goals in the space of ten minutes. Culshaw had a dreadful start and was a liability in defence.

On the upside Law clawed a goal back just before the interval, he has some excellent work from Woods to thank.

Half time and 2-1 down, the home team have played by far the better football. Things drastically need to change!

The second half began in faltering fashion but we played the better football. Woods had a good chance which went over but it was from the set piece that we leveled the match. Coburn’s kick deflected off the wall and went in.

The chances were few and far between after that, I’d say we just shaded it. A point gained when I was sure we’d thrown the match away!

Coburn’s and Salt’s effective midfield game saved the day for us. Culshaw did improve slightly in the second half but it was still a performance to forget from him.

The footballing world was rocked by the dismissal of Alex Ferguson. His sacking was a little perplexing, Man Utd were 4th in the table, eleven games unbeaten and were still in all cup competitons. In fact they had just made the League Cup final. So his sacking is a mystery. Steve Bruce is the bookies favourite to take over.

Coburn is out for almost a month with a groin strain picked up in the last match. Wray will deputise for him.

Hornchurch 0)1 - 0 (0 Carshalton Athletic

It has been a busy footballing month and now was the chance to avenge ourselves on the team responsible for our first defeat in the league. Carshalton are in real relegation danger, as a Sutton fan I’d love to help send them down.

Coburn was replaced by Wray and Marshall was tired, so he was replaced by Mas. Both teams were slightly fatigued.

Carshalton fought hard in the first half and by far had the best chance, Allaway stretching himself to reach the ball. We got stronger as the game went on though and began to achieve half-chances. Nothing solid though and the fans were disappointed at half time.

The second half continued in dull fashion. Our best chance fell on 59 minutes when Lynott headed over from a corner. With 20 minutes left I decided to change things around . I brought on Skelton for Lynott and changed to a normal 4-4-2. I instructed Heathcote to bomb down the left flank more.

The minutes ticked away and still no joy. A lot of fans would have missed the last gasp goal. I wonderful team move that mainly involved Heathcote, Vella and Wray. The move was finished by Salt, who arrived late in the area. A last gasp winner.

Carshalton were defensively sound, they were just unable to last the distance. Heathcote and Salt were the keys to our victory.

The Margate manager Chris Kinnear, tried to gee up his mid table flops by putting the frighteners on us. I was not impressed I have to say.

Margate 1 ) 1-0 ( 0 Hornchurch

A very dull game, Margate took the lead early on with a free kick and never looked like scoring afterwards. Sadly neither did we. Very disappointing to lose especially considering Kinnears Pre-Match comments.

It is no surprise that Steve Bruce is appointed Man Utd manager. It remains to be seen whether he can turn their fortunes around!

Eastbourne Borough 0) 0 -3 (1 Hornchurch

Eastbourne are bottom of the table but for the first 20 minutes they were dominant. It was only when we changed to a counter attacking formation that things improved for us, we tore through their 4-3-3 like a hot knife through butter.

Woods was a constant danger and he got the ball rolling. He was hungry for a goal , their keeper had denied him a few times, just before the interval he got his reward though with a trademark dribble and goal.

The second half was a litany of spurned chances, Duerden (who had come on for Woods) proving especially wasteful. He redeemed himself at the death though, with 2 well taken goals.

All of our goals came on the break. Salt was especially incisive with his through balls. He Duerden and Woods had especially good games!

A tougher test was ahead of us, this time Basingstoke were the challengers. Ernie Howe decided to taunt me before the game. I expect my players to respond better to the criticism this time.

Hornchurch 2) 3-0 (0 Basingstoke Town

We have had problems against teams playing 5-3-2 in the past. Basingstoke put us under some early pressure but we restricted them to long range efforts. As time went on we got surer of foot and on 35 minutes we struck paydirt, Law chases a through-ball and finished with ease.

Just before the end of teh half we hit them on the counter. Salt provided Law with another superb through-ball, once again Law didn’t let us down. His 20th of the season.

Basingstoke started the stronger in the 2nd half but it wasn’t long before we put the game beyond doubt. Woods this time on the end of a Buckley through-ball.

The rest of the game meandered away comfortably. Basingstoke suffered the final indignity of getting a player sent off for dissent. A good game for us!

Salt put in his best performance of the season, all he lacked was a goal.

We have developed a weakness on the Right Side of defence. Lee Marshall is out for two months with a torn groin muscle. Tolo Mas has a lot of First Team time coming up.

Hornchurch 0-0 Lewes

An incredibly dull game that rendered all the spectators insensenate. Lewes came with a very negative attitude and marked all my players out of the game. Our best chance came late on when Duerden had a half-chance.

Lewes played very physically. Both Wray and Salt picked up injuries, Wray is out for a week! A very negative game.

Sutton Utd 0) 0-2 (2 Hornchurch

A slightly weakened team took the field. Woods was shifted to the Right Wing and Duerden reclaimed his place in attack, for all of 8 minutes. He collided roughly with Matt Gray and was carried off the pitch, Tolley replaced him.

Sutton are comfortable in mid-table, however they put up a dismal show in the first half. Tolley and Law combined well and grabbed a goal apiece by the interval.

The second half was a case of consolidation. Sutton tried to break through but their accuracy was dreadful. The only sour point was that Heathcote was also injured by Gray.

Bognor Regis 0 )1 -1 (0 Hornchurch

An entertaining first ten minutes, with both teams getting into their opponents boxes. Twice in the twenty minutes my strikers challenged the keeper, Woods and Law were denied however. The rest of the second half settled down and neither team had a meaningful chance. Their keeper denied us all too often.

We managed to hit the Bognor defence before they settled in the second half, Coburn testing their keeper from long range. We didn’t get another chance for ten minutes, it took the introduction of Tolley to change things. He received the ball after some good play from law and fired the ball off their keeper, who did well to reach it!

Bognor upped the pressure a little and gained an undeserved equalizer just after the 70 minute mark, Steele heading in from a corner.

The game ended level, the excitement just petered out!

Hornchurch 1) 3- 0(0 Maidenhead

Another game against lowly opposition, Maidenhead sit in 20th place. I was not surprised that they came with a totally negative attitude.

It took half an hour for us to gain a meaningful chance, Law being denied by the keeper. It took a late arriving defender to break the defence, Culshaw finishing superbly from a Heathcote cross. We remained comfortable until the stroke of half time.

The second half was just as easy as the first. Adam Buckley scored his first goal for the club, Law acting as the provider. Coburn finished the game off with a splendid free kick.

Our easiest game of the season, though certainly not our best performance of the season.

Welling Utd 0 ) 0-2 (1 Hornchurch

It was obvious from their 4-3-3 formation that Welling intended to attack from the start. That made them vulnerable to my patented defensive counterattacking formation. It didn’t take long for us to take advantage of their reckless attacking posture. Law blasting a shot directly at the keeper in the opening minutes and shortly later Buckley put us ahead with a good finish on the edge of the box.

Welling didn’t fold as quickly as expected, they continued to pressure and our counters weren’t as incisive as usual. However by the end of the half they’d only had a single meaningful chance, well saved by Allaway.

It didn’t take long for us to make our mark in the second half. A successful counter at last. Woods raced down the pitch and crossed to Law, who let fly from distance. His shot took a slight deflection and went in. Now we were comfy!

The rest of the game was meaningless really. Nothing exciting happened. We just strolled away with it

Recently we have been winning games quite easily. However we haven’t been exactly entertaining. Very solid nothing else. We may be getting a rep for being dull and negative.

Hornchurch 0) 1-1 (0 Hayes

Yet another team comes to us with a negative attitude and gains an undeserved draw. Hayes were a team I really wanted to defeat, they inflicted upon us our first defeat of the season!

The first half was a very dull affair with very poor chances on goal. The second half was played in a very similar spirit, except both teams took full advantage of the few chances they received. We took the lead when Law latched onto a superb Culshaw long ball, they equalized minutes later from a header at a set piece situation.

The game stumbled to a 1-1 draw. I seriously need to tighten up my set piece defending.

Burwood is feeling the strain, I’ll probably rest him soon. Our injury woes continue with an injury to Danny Vella, I must hope that Heathcote doesn’t get injured for a while.

Hornchurch’s success has brought me to the attention of bigger clubs. Macclesfield and York both tender offers for my services, I of course refuse.

We are currently 14 points ahead of our opposition. We only need a draw at Weston Super Mare to win promotion to the Conference. I have faith in my players, they will do the business. I try and give my team a ‘feelgood’ factor by praising Phil Salt in the press.

Weston Super Mare 2) 3-0 (0 Hornchurch

A virtually full strength team took the field for this match. Weston have had an indifferent season but were determined to make us sweat. They began brightly and blazed a shot over our bar very early on. Just four minutes into the game we fell victim to a free-kick. Michael Jackson has scored a number of these this season and he added Hornchurch to his list of scalps.

Our best chance of the half fell to Woods who under pressure from the defence blazed the ball over. At the other end Weston were more dangerous and just before the half hour mark Jackson doubled their lead with a shot from the edge of the area.

We went in 2-0 down at half time, possibly our worst half of the season so far. We had nothing to offer. I would have to change things in the second half.

The second half was even more dire than the first. We offered nothing at all and on 60 minutes Jackson completed his hat-trick with another free-kick.

A truly dire game, I could take nothing positive away from this match at all. I have no idea why my team played so poorly. Discipline will be handed out! Allaway and Heathcote were poor but Buckley was truly dreadful, the worst performance of any player this season.

Despite our crap performance none of our rivals could better Hornchurch’s result. We are Champions and are promoted. It doesn’t feel good at the moment though.

Grays Athletic 0)0 -2 (1 Hornchurch

A week of rest and hopefully a better performance in the offing from us. Marshall had just recovered from his injury but for now Mas would remain in the team, no changes were made following the defeat at Weston.

The first twenty minutes were very worrying, McLean had a hat-trick of chances, fortunately he blazed them all over. The rest of the half settled into a dull routine. We received a lucky break when Carl Emberson fouled Law when going for a cross. Burwood stepped up and blasted the ball in. Before Grays could launch any counter-offensive the whistle blew for half-time.

Grays did launch their attack in the second half but we were not exactly idle either. Salt and Woods both had good chances, I had to take Salt off soon after due to a slight knock, I replaced him with Skelton.

A few minutes later my strikers combined. Law set up Woods , who beat the keeper with a fine strike. In theory the game should be save now.

The rest of the game was a stroll for us, a much better performance than that travesty at Weston.

I was interested to note that Michael Jackson had another very good game for Weston Super Mare, this time getting 2 in a 4-2 demolition of Sutton Utd, suddenly they are in Play-off contention.

Hornchurch 3) 4-0(0 Thurrock

My triumphant team enjoyed grandstanding at their home ground. One player above all others would enjoy this game. Ben Woods had taken half a season to break into the team and cemented his place due to his impressive performances as a sub. He finished the game off for us by half time, having grabbed a hat-trick. Each goal showcased his excellent ability to beat players.

The second half was just as comfortable as the first. We only added a single goal though, thanks to some excellent poaching by Law.

What a way to return home, our second comprehensive victory against local rivals in a row!

With two games left till the end of the season I intend to give some of my smaller stars a run-out. Next is a home game against improving Cambridge City. Unfortunately Shaun Wray is ruled out, he picked up an injury during training and wil be out for two weeks.

My scouts are busy searching for Youth Talent and Jon Laidlaw doesn’t take long to find me a potential player. Peter Wilkinson is a left sided defender who played for Wellington Rec in Northern Ireland. May be good backup.

Hornchurch 1)3 -1 (0 Cambridge City

Cambridge needed a good result to stay in playoff contention. They must have been happy when they saw my team sheet. six of the players were not regulars.

We didn’t do badly in the first half , we restricted Cambridge to half chances and had some good oppotunities ourselves. Duerden hit the side netting and on 39 minutes Beckford managed to stroke the ball through a crowded defence and put us in the lead. Cambridge were unable to respond before half time.

I brought on both Tolley and Skelton for the second half, taking off Duerden and Beasley. I wanted to play as many irregulars as possible.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first. Cambridge were unable to break through our defence whilst we had a number of good chances. Beckford grabbed his second on 60 minutes, a rebound from a Tolley shot.

Lee Marshall took the field on 68 minutes, the fans were happy to see him return to the fold. The referee wasn’t so happy however and gave a foul against him soon after his arrival. A very dubious penalty. Scott made no mistake from the spot and suddenly we had a game on!

Cambridge went on an all out offensive. They were unlucky to have a goal ruled out for offside on 82 minutes, they continued the pressure but left themselves open. They paid for that just before the death, Marshall intercepted a throw-in and released Beckford, who jubilantly claimed his hat-trick.

Another good result for us, Beckford joins the Hat-trick club.

Peter Wilkinson signs for us. Now I have some decent cover at left back.

Dorchester Town 1)2 -1 (1 Hornchurch

Vella returned to the team and Peter Wilkinson made his debut in this, the last game of the season and the last game (hopefully forever) for Hornchurch in the Conference South.

Dorchester were in real danger of relegation at one stage but recovered superbly. Their good results included a credible 2-2 draw at our place. I wasn’t expecting an easy ride.

Dorchester made a dream start, within three minutes they had taken the lead. Their free-kick struck the bar and Peter White pounced on the rebound.

Things went from bad to worse, Vella disputed a decision with the referee, even after being yellow carded he didn’t stop. After only 13 minutes we were down to 10 men.

Before the half had ended Dorchester would hit the bar again, and force a few good saves from Ovendale. However despite our disadvantage we were not without threat. Tolley found space on a few occasions and just before half time he managed to level the game. Things were looking up for us.

We didn’t last the second half, we fell victim to bad marking at a free kick. Ovendale was poorly positioned and Groves found it very easy to round him and score. After that chances were few and far between.

It wasn’t a bad performance but Vella’s absurd display didn’t help us. Wilkinson had a decent debut though.

Once we return to Hornchurch I invite Vella to my office. He doesn’t take his official warning well and finds himself listed.

The season is at an end for us, it didn't finish the way I wanted it to but at least we have achieved something of note this year.

HORNCHURCH FC: THE SEASON IN REVIEW

My first season as a manager, I was thrown in at the deep end. Not a single player on my books and a substandard coaching staff. I would have only two months to build up a full squad!

We played several friendlies, they did not give me much cause for optimism. My trialists played very averagely against lower league opponents. However by the start of the season I had a full squad to select from. Every position was well covered, all that remained to be discovered was whether I had put together a quality side.

AUGUST-SEPTEMBER

I should never have doubted my players. They got off to a fantastic start, winning 6 out of 8 games and remaining undefeated. My forward line wasn’t overly prolific, averaging 1.6 goals a game but my defence was resolute, having only conceded 3 goals.

Most of my players put in decent performances but the star was without doubt Gareth Law, he notched 7 goals in 7 appearances. A truly prolific scorer.

By the end of this period my Defence and midfield were pretty much solidified. My attackers and Goalkeepers were experiencing a lot of rotation however. Goalkeeper would remain a problem position for the rest of the season.

OCTOBER-NOVEMBER

We lost our aura of invincibility in these months and my players were fatigued by a hectic schedule. We were more effective in front of goal however.

We played 6 cup games in this period, enduring replays against Guisely and Dover. We really came undone at Dover and were knocked out of the FA Cup. We returned to winning ways in the FA Trophy though, beating Wealdstone and Folkestone. We weren’t entirely convincing though.

Our league form wasn’t as good, though we still managed to maintain our lead at the top. We fell to our first defeat at Carshalton.

Phil Salt cemented his position as an invaluable player, Woods earned his place as my second starting attacker with Law. The goalkeeping situation was still problematic. Nobody had performed badly yet but I hadn’t been especially impressed either!

DECEMBER-JANUARY

Hectic horrible months, the Christmas season wasn’t a time of goodwill for us. Our form over that period was truly dreadful.

We went out of the FA Trophy against Hemel Hempstead. Ovendale was poor in goal and Beckford handicapped us by getting sent off. Now we could concentrate in the league.

Our league form degenerated as well. A lot of this was down to poor goalkeeping. It was around this time that I fell out with Nicholas Stones. He joined Jon Willis on the transfer list and was soon out of the club, along with Willis.

By the end of January our form had begun to pick up again. We had been bested by Hayes, Thurrock, Dorchester and Bishop’s Stortford.

We were actually knocked off the top at one stage by Grays, they suffered a few blips though and we fought our way back to the top.

FEBRUARY-MARCH

We regained some of our old panache during these months. We suffered a defeat at nearest rivals Margate but managed to hold on to our lead. In fact we increased our advantage!

APRIL

The month we clinched the championship, we won the league on the day that my players offered up their worst performance of the season, a ghastly defeat at Weston Super Mare.

Game wise a very mixed bag. We were poor at Dorchester and Weston but played superbly against Grays and Thurrock.

PLANS FOR THE FUTURE

I am reasonably happy with my lineup, all I need to do purchase a decent goalkeeper and strengthen the centre of my defence.

I would love to build up a youthful Reserve team for Next Season. The youth setup is our future because we’ll never be able to attract many decent developed players to our ground.

OUTGOING

Danny Vella has already agreed to join Aldershot for 14k. I am toying with moving Ian Duerden on as well, he hasn’t been prolific enough. I’ll see how he gets on in the friendlies then decide his future.

CONCLUSION

A very good season for us and I have a solid foundation to build upon.

Chelsea had a very good year, winning the double. They comprehensively defeated Birmingham in the final 3-0.

The fourth round was very fruitful for upsets. Arsenal were knocked out at Bristol City 2-0. Reading won at Bolton and Crystal Palace crashed out at Plymuth in a thrilling match.

Man Utd desevedly won the League Cup with a comfy 1-0 victory against Newcastle.

Bayern Munich triumphed in Europe, defeating AC Milan in the final 1-0. It took them until the ssecond half of extra time to prevail though.

The Euro Cup was an all English affair, Arsenal defeating Man Utd on penalties following a dull dull match.

Summer is now in full flow and it is time for me to ring the changes. I fully intend to build up a Reserve team full of youngsters. They will pave the future for me.

The fans decide their player of the year and it is no surprise to anyone whom they choose. Gareth Law started the season as a bit player, he ended it as our indispensable top goalscorer. We are counting on him to continue his good form in the conference.

Bob Calder was away for a month, holidaying with his lover in some Spanish hideaway. When he returns I am dismayed to discover that he has blown a lot of the clubs money on various booze cocktails. Consequently I have a mere 3.8k to spend on my wage budget. I will have to let people go, first on my list is Ian Duerden. Darren Beasley soon joins him on the list!

I set about strengthening other parts of my team. Phil Townley and Lee Grant join me early in July. Phil Townley Liverpool and I intend to use him as a utility player, since he can play on either wing and can use both feet. Grant is a tall Central Defender who I signed from Aston Villa. He was loaned to York for a good portion of the season and played respectably, so I know he can perform.

I also intend to sign a whole heap of Youth talent. Their numbers will be legion, those who impress me will merit a mention.

Entering Mid July our Friendly season begins. We start of at the slightly Northern Hinckley, who just missed out on a playoff place the previous season. I fielded a virtually unfamiliar team, only Ovendale Wray, Rickers and Mas had appeared for the full team.

Hinckley 1-0 Hornchurch

It was a relatively equal sided game, my reserves did themselves credit, it was one of the regulars who proved the weak link, Ovendale not exactly commanding his box.

The goal when it came was a second half penalty. Stuart Storer took it, his shot tore through Ovendale like a hot knife through butter.

Of my reserves Nick Mitchell and Phillip Cousins impressed the most. Mitchell is a Central Defender who at 15 years of age could have a great future. Cousins is two years older and has decent all round midfield skills.

Duerden ad Beasley both leave the club for better things. Neither of them did badly for the club, though there is something unsettling about Beasley I just can’t put my finger on. They have both signed for League 2 clubs, Duerden to Darlington, Beasley to Stevenage. I wish them well.

Nortel 2-0 Hornchurch

A very poor game for us, we faded away in the second half and were bested by very average opposition. Not such a good turnout for my prospective players.

Allaway and Cousins were very poor i this match. In the next game I will be playing a full strength team. I’ll be interested to see how they fare.

Hitchin 1-4 Hornchurch

An assured performance from my regulars, Law and Woods finished the game off by half time with 2 and 1 goals respectively. Our final goal was scored by trialists Ian Clarke, who is a young striker. Their solitary goal was a long range strike that beat Allaway.

Buckley and Tolley sustained light injuries during the match and will be out for a week.

Hornchurch 2-0 Aston Villa Reserves

The game started off badly for us, Villa showed their class, I made a few changes to counter Villa’s 5-3-2 and we had no problem containing them after that. Law and Beckford scored for us and Clarke had a few good chances. On the minus side both Salt and trialists Kemp picked up injuries.

Both Salt and Clarke are out of action for a week. These friendlies have been pretty competitive so far. Hopefully no more knocks will be sustained, I’m already 3 first teamers down.

Eleven new players have joined the Hornchurch family this season. I’m not far over the wage budget either, so I’ll be able to sustain the squad.

Scott Woods

A Left sided defender who can also play in midfield, though he doesn’t have any real strengths in that area of the field. What he does bring is excellent tackling, decent defensive qualities and good distribution.

Richard Carter

A very youthful 15 year old Central Midfielder. A good passer of the ball, he is undeveloped in his other skills. He has plenty of time to develop though. What I like about him is his superb work ethic.

Ian Clarke

A striker. Not particularly outstanding but also has time to develop. Good aerial presence shame that he can’t direct the ball. Can use both feet, which is handy. Very well developed physically for a youngster. My illustrious chairman has already taken an interest in him, Carlos may become jealous.

Danny Harvey

Another left sided defender capable of playing in midfield. A superb crosser of the ball, I’ll have to see how he develops.

Wayne Barnes

A left sided attacking midfielder, the best crosser of the ball in my team. Decent all round midfielder attributes, though very average at beating players.

Ed Brand

Signed on a free from Chelsea. Will be the understudy to Marshall at Right Back. Will be competing with the reliable Tolo Mas.

Phil Cousins

A similar player to Beasley, though he is more technically minded. Very young and a real talent.

Colin Doherty

An attacking midfielder. Not very good on the ball and a poor passer, he has two things going for him. His youth, he is only 15 and the fact that he is the most creative player to come to Hornchurch. I’ll keep an eye on him.

Tom Kemp

An exciting forward, very good technical skills and a decent finisher. The only downside is that he is a little slow. Looked dangerous in Pre-season but has recently picked up a knock.

So I have a large squad. I wonder who will develop out of the newbies. I can’t wait to find out.

Congratulations on the championship in your first season, LC. I'm always impressed by people who can build an empty team up to league winners. Good luck in the Conference National - I'll be following your efforts. icon14.gif

Our friendly season continued. Next up was a taster of things to come. A game away to ex Conference side Farnborough.

Farnborough 0-5 Hornchurch

A superb performance, our strikers were really on form. Woods who grabbed 2, was superb and was showered with praise by the press. Mitchell a trialist who I was looking at as a prospective attacker scored 2 as a striker. Tolley scored the other. A very comprehensive win.

Next up was our showcase friendly, a home friendly against Tranmere Rovers, who had just been promoted to the English Championship. I decided to field a first and second XI for this match, I wanted to give as many players as possible a chance to shine

Hornchurch 1-1 Tranmere

The game got off to a very exciting start, with two goals in the first 5 minutes. Tranmere began brightly and had 2 chances in the first minute, we took a surprise lead though, thanks to Ben Woods capitalizing upon a bizarre defensive header that looped back towards him in the box. It wasn’t long before Jason Howarth leveled for Tranmere with a snazzy finish though and we were on the backfoot for the rest of the half.

My second XI came out for the second half and performed very respectably. Neither side enjoyed decent chances but we finished with a credible 1-1 draw against a Full Strength Tranmere team.

Now that the Friendly season is over it is time to gear up for the real deal. The bookies are confidant that we don’t have what it takes to survive.

Soon after the odds are released I am approached by a member of the Upminster Gazette, he suggests that my team needs some major reinforcements to survive the season. I disagree with him and state flat out that Hornchurch are strong enough to survive this season!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spav:

Congratulations on the championship in your first season, LC. I'm always impressed by people who can build an empty team up to league winners. Good luck in the Conference National - I'll be following your efforts. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Spav. In some ways having no squad is easier, since I don't have any of the previous managers deadweights to deal with. Any mistakes purchasing wise are entirely my own!

I continue my search for a new keeper, Joe Murphy, released on a free from West Brom looks very promising. Unfortunately a number of clubs are after him and he rejects my advances. He signs for Bournemouth, unsurprising really, considering they offer £1000 per week.

So the season gets underway. We are away to Hereford, who are expected to push for promotion. My team is identical to the one that finished last season, with the exception of Ovendale in goal.

Hereford Utd 0)1 -0 (0 Hornchurch

We made a solid start to this match, succeeding in stifling the home teams attacks. Sadly our attack was as impotent, Gareth Law providing the best chance of the half with a effort from the edge of the box that went just wide.

Hereford made the brighter start in the second half and had two good chances from corner kicks, Ovendale saved well to deny them.

Hereford continued to pressure us and in the end their corner taking proved to be our downfall. Carey Bartram ultimately gifting them victory.

Not a bad performance from us, though our lack of an attacking edge is cause for alarm. Maybe our next game home to Barnet will be kinder.

Hornchurch 2) 2-2 (0 Barnet

Barnet made all the running in the first half and had numerous chances to score. Nick Bailey even missd a penalty!

It was against the run of play that we scored, with our only chances of the half, on both occasions we counter attacked Barnet and Gareth Law cowed the opposition with his finishing. We held onto our undeserved lead at half time.

Barnet attacked us from the off and only took six minutes to claw one back, Bailey making amends for his penalty miss. Scant minutes later they leveled the match, Clist equalizing from close range.

The rest of the game died down. Salt and Law both had chances to win the game but their keeper defended stoutly.

Very disappointing to draw this game, even if we didn’t really deserve to win. Gareth Law continued his superb attacking form.

Northwich Victoria 1)1 - 1(1 Hornchurch

Maybe a good chance for us to pick up points. Northwich were expected to be fellow Relegation battlers.

We made a superb start, Gareth Law putting us ahead on 5 minutes, thanks to a counter started by Heathcote.

We couldn’t maintain the good start. Once again the opposition dominated us and a half hour into the match Northwich grabbed a deserved equalizer. Our only other chance before half time was a Woods shot from close range which was woefully inaccurate.

Northwich began the stronger in the second half. I noticed that our problem was a lack of cooperation between the defence and midfield and adjusted the attitude of my midfielders accordingly. I cut back on their attacking runs. This helped my team immensely and we held on for a draw.

My defenders played superbly but Salt won the plaudits, commanding the midfield in the second half. Law remains prolific but Woods is yet to get on the scoresheet.

Not the best of starts to the season, however I’m not panicking yet. Time is on our side.

My reserves start live in the lowest rung of the Reserves Leagues. They make a respectable, if winless start. Drawing 3 and losing 1. Very similar to their seniors performance in the league. The reserves include former first teamers like Tolo Mas and Nick Boothby.

As if winning manager of the month for August wasn’t enough. John Still of Dagenham & Redbridge decided to taunt me before the game. I kept calm and merely replied that the best team would win.

Hornchurch 2) 4 -2 (2 Dagenham & Redbridge

We made a bright start, effectively stifling our opponents. Law always looked dangerous and had a reasonable chance 17 seconds into the game, his effort went wide though. However 13 minutes later he was put properly into the clear and superbly rounded their keeper to put us into the lead. Excellent work from Buckley also contributed.

It took Dagenham four minutes to equalize, our marking at a corner was woeful and Moore snuck in to score.

A mere two minutes later we regained our lead, Woods was unaware that he’d score, Heathcote’s cross hit him in the head and just happened to cross the line. How long could we hold onto this lead.

Roughly 15 minutes was the answer. Buckley was to blame this time, the ball took a freakish deflection of his shin and went in. We were pegged back.

The second half was slower paced than the first and after 20 minutes had elapsed I decided to change things. I took off Woods and Salt and brought on Skelton and Tolley. I instructed Lynott to join the midfield more. We were being swamped.

Dividends were soon reaped. Law scored a fabulous goal from the edge of the area and then Tolley benefited from a Heathcote freekick. All in quick order.

We held onto our margin and recorded our first win of the season. A superb result. The star of the show was Law, his goals have been vital this season!

A have a few injury worries, Culshaw picked up a knock i the last game and Wray injured himself in training. Culshaw’s misfortune is good news for Lee Grant.

Gravesend 0) 0 -1 (0 Hornchurch

Not the most exciting start to the game, both teams struggled to make an impact and by half time neither had really made inroads into the oppositions defence, being limited to long range efforts. Hornchurch gained some domination though when I shifted my focus to wing play. My players were able to circumvent the packed Gravesend midfield.

The second half began in exciting fashion when Grant bundled over Jimmy Jackson in the area. Jackson himself elected to take the penalty and blasted it over the bar.

We continued to threaten down the wing, without any real effect. Law had a good run that was well saved by the keeper, and Buckley had an inaccurate effort go wide.

I brought on Tolley for Woods and Skelton for Salt. Ten minutes before the death they combined well, Skelton piecing through a simple through-ball to Tolley, who finished simply. With that goal it was time to defend.

We held on for the final ten minutes. We even had another good chance but Tolley’s shot was well saved.

Lee Grant had a very good debut, being awarded man of the match.

Hornchurch 1)2 - 1(1 Leigh RMI

Leigh are struggling in the league at the moment, it would be our job to make their situation worse. Hopefully with a victory.

Ben Woods put us well on the way just two minutes into the game, he received a pass from Buckley and rounded the keeper.

We didn’t hold up well for the rest of the half. Leigh were aggressive in attack and it didn’t take them long to equalize, a corner providing them with the chance. They dominated the rest of the half and we rarely got a look-in.

Our performance was much better in the second half. The introduction of Tolley was vital. He forced a good save out of the keeper, before putting us ahead on 80 minutes with a simple tap-in.

The final ten minutes were exciting stuff. Leigh went on an all out offensive but their distribution was often awful. Woods ad a good chance on the counter but failed to beat their keeper. We held on for the win though, our third in a row!

(0 Hornchurch[/b]

We were lucky to win this game, Tamworth had many attempts on goal and harried us for every ball. Only good keeping from Ovendale helped us out, that and a timely interception by Townley ten minutes from time. He passed to Woods who crossed for the increasingly impressive Tolley. His finish almost broke the net and we survived to the death.

Another good performance, my players coping well under pressure. Tolley is now making a real claim to oust Woods from the team. He may get his chance soon.

The win against Tamworth takes us to second in the table. Most of teh other teams in the league have a game in hand though, including leaders Hereford.

Both Law and Salt were injured during the last game. Salt is out for two weeks, so Skelton will get an extended run in the team.

September ends and what a memorable month it has been. Lee Grant wins the young player of the month award, Tolley’s goal at Tamworth is one of the best of the month and I win the Manager of the Month award. Excellent progress.

Hornchurch 0 -0 Nuneaton Borough

A very dull first half, our passing was not of the best standard and we didn’t really trouble the away team. Woods and Skelton had our best chances, but failed to trouble the keeper.

If anything the second half was even duller than the first. Not a single shot on goal was recorded. A forgettable game for all concerned.

Hornchurch 1) 3-1 (0 Woking

We made a dream start against struggling Woking, their keeper spilled a Buckley cross and gifted the ball to Law, who finished from close range. After that chances were few and far between and the half ended on a dull note.

The second half was equally dull up till the last 20 minutes, then things started to get exciting. Woking leveled the match with a deflection of Coburn that wrong footed Ovendale. Soon after Burwood was brought down by their keeper Shwan Jalal and he converted the penalty to score his first of the season. Just before the end Law scored his second, when Jalal spilled a Tolley shot.

A reasonable victory for us. Now several games without defeat and 3rd in the table, just a point behind leaders Hereford.

We are drawn at home to Vauxhall Motors in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup. They are in the ECN so should be an interesting match.

Halifax 0)0 -3 (1 Hornchurch

I decided to rest quite a few players for this match. Wray and Tolley replaced Coburn and Law, who were tired.

We had to weather a storm of pressure in the first half. Mark Ovendale was a very busy man but he performed very well in goal. It was against the run of play that we took the lead just before half time, Woods scoring from the edge of the box.

I have no idea what happened to Halifax in the second half, they went from dangerous to totally useless. Tolley and Law had fun exploiting the gaps and scored a goal apiece. A very surprising collapse of our opponents.

Hornchurch 0 -0 Carlisle Utd

Shaun Wray basically shot himself in the foot Hornchurch wise for getting himself dismissed for dissent 15 minutes into the game. He did something very similar this time last year. I’m going to throw the book at him. We are now in a precarious position.

Despite their manpower advantage Carlisle did virtually nothing to threaten us. Our predicament was made worse when Ben Woods was carried off injured just before half time. A very forgettable half for all concerned.

Salt is very low on fitness so I take him off. That makes things worse because sixty minutes into the game, Ricardo Beckford is carried off with an injury. Carlisle now have a two man advantage!

We managed to hold out, despite that. Carlisle were totally incompetant in attack and it is no surprise to me that they are struggling in mid-table.

The butchers bill is not as bad as I expected. Beckford and Woods are only out for 5 days. Wray is banned just for one game but he has effectively ruined his chances of first team football anyway. I fine him two weeks wages for his dismissal.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Hornchurch 1) 4-1 (1 Vauxhall Motors

I rest a few players for this game but do not go totally overboard as I have done in the past. Allaway makes his first appearence this year in goal, Brand and Woods are deployed at fullback. The rest of teh team is unchanged.

We make a disastrous start. Allaway allows a Darren Wright freekick to squirm beneath his arms. No wonder he is no longer a first team regular. Barely a minute had gone.

We soon got into the game though. An Ed Brand pass found Law in the area, he finished before the defenders realised what the hell they were doing.

We threatened Vauxhall rarely in this half, our best chance falling just before half time to Woods, his shot was easily saved though. All square at half time, not an ideal situation for us.

The visitors had a brighter start to the half, they tested Allaway a few times but gradually we stamped our dominance on the game. On 64 minutes we made our breakthrough, Ben Woods nodding in from a Coburn corner. We were now on the right track.

After that Vauxhall never really had a look in. The introduction of Tolley near the end finished of the game. In the space of 5 minutes he grabbed two poachers goals and finished the game as a contest.

It was a brave performance form Vauxhall, they just couldn’t last the distance.

Allaway recovered well from his earlier error and walked off with the MoM award.

We have a tough tie in the First round proper, a home match against League Two team Peterborough. They lie 18th in the league, so we are in with a chance.

Rochdale 0-0 Hornchurch

A difficult game against fellow high flyers Rochdale. The first half was entertaining but goalless. Law broke through their defence a few times but under pressure from their defenders was unable to hit the target. His best chance was courtesy of a Woods pass. He was in the clear but his shot clipped the post. Rochdale weren’t idle either, they clipped the bar a few times and forced Ovendale into a good save. Goalless at half time.

The second half continued in a similar vein to the first, neither side able to convert their chances. Law was unusually inaccurate, missing a few decent chances. The game ended goalless, a credible draw against strong opponents.

Hornchurch 0 -0 Bury

Our second ex league opposition in a row. Bury are 9th in the table, so probably feel they could do a little better. Heathcote and Marshall returned to the team, well rested, I dropped Burwood, Buckley and Woods for this game, due to fatigue. They had capable replacements in Culshaw, Beckford and Tolley.

A rather tight first half, both defences being on top. I had to replace a slightly crocked Law on the Half Hour mark, I replaced him with Tolley.

Ben Woods had the best chance of that half, he was on the end of a wicked Beckford cross but his header went over.

The second half just settled into a dirge of possession football. Third bore draw in a row.

FA Cup 1st Round

Hornchurch 1)3 -0 (0 Peterborough

A full strength team took the pitch and we instantly set about Peterborough. Buckley had a shot go just wide soon after the kickoff and with 3 minutes gone Woods and Law combined well, Law was forced to the edge of the area but his finish was still true. 1-0 to us.

Peterborough retained most of the ball for the rest of the half but failed to trouble Ovendale. We went into half time with a slight but seemingly comfortable lead.

We went into the second half with a defensive outlook. Phil Salt provided us with the buffer we craved, a fine strike just outside the box which went in off the post. His first of the season.

Now Peterborough took notice. Almost instantly they tested Ovendale with a close range effort. Their best chance occurred with a freekick, the shot was parried by Ovendale and fell to a posse of Peterborough players. Les Ferdinand was first to the ball but his shot was hooked off the line by Burwood.

The game was ended as a contest in the 86th minute, Law was set free in the box and his shot took a deflection of the defender and went in.

As super performance from the team, an excellent time for Law to rediscover his scoring boots.

Our reward is a home match against League 1 team Huddersfield. They are in relegation danger at the moment, I hope we can add to their woes!

Scarborough 0) 1- 0(0 Hornchurch

A dull uninspiring first half, we were restricted to long range efforts, whilst Scarborough had the better chances, forcing a good save from Ovendale.

Scarborough dominated the second half and five minutes from time they gained a deserved winner, Conlon had missed a hatful of chances but he finally managed to convert, his shot was too powerful for Ovendale to contain.

Now five league games without a goal. Our defence has been solid but our lack of goals is really concerning me. This defeat was only a matter of time. It was against a team struggling in mid-table.

Hornchurch 1) 3-0 ( 0 Aldershot

A difficult test for us, a match against Aldershot who had snuck up to first place without anyone really noticing.

Our defence had to be firm i this half, Ovendale again was in good form, however it was Hornchurch who broke the deadlock and what a relief that was to me.

We hit them on the counter, Law was forced out wide but he managed to deliver a pinpoint cross. Woods let the ball bounce and finished with aplomb.

Aldershot continued their pressure but were unable to break us down.

The second half was a showcase for poor finishing, well for the most part anyway. Woods proved that he still had what it took anyway, when he rounded the Aldershot keeper to put us further ahead. We were comfortable now, the ‘Shots only had 23 minutes to pull it back.

Gareth Law finished the game for us, he was set up by Salt, his finish was poor but for some reason the keeper couldn’t handle the bal and it went in.

Despite having a three goal lead, Aldershot were still a threat. Ovendale caused me some anxieties when he passed the ball to Roscoe D’Sane. Ovendale recovered and smothered the ball but it still managed to squirm out. Another Aldershot player passed the ball across the area but no-one was on the end of it!

A superb team performance, Salt was especially outstanding. Gives me hope for the future.

We are drawn away to Sutton Utd in the First Round of the FA Trophy. We did the double over them last season but they have much improved since then so who knows?

Margate 1) 2-2 (1 Hornchurch

Both Heathcote and Woods weren’t in peak condition so they were replaced with Scott Woods and Shane Tolley. Margate are struggling in the Conference. They decided to come at us with an attacking formation.

The game got off to a bad start, Salt was bundled over and his participation in the game ended!

Margate played with a very physical style, the referee offered little protection for us. Despite this we managed to take the lead. Coburn delivered a wicked cross to Tolley, who busted his net with his header.

Margate continued to offer a threat and it wasn’t long before they equalized, a moments stupidity from Buckley was to blame. He backpassed into the area and found Pullman, who was suitably grateful.

Margate continued to assault us and by half time we had lost Burwood to injury. Law and Buckley had also picked up knocks. A tough second half was in store!

Into the second half and the Margate physical battling continued. They even had a few chances on goal but were inaccurate. Fortunately my players were a lot more effective. Law regained the lead for us on 54 minutes, with a well placed long range shot. We had the initiatve again.

Four minutes later we suffered our second dismissal of the season. Once again for dissent. This time Buckley was the player who couldn’t shut up. We were in for it now.

Unsurprisingly Margate managed to pull level. We did hold onto the draw though. The fact that we didn’t get all three points I lay at the feet of Buckley. He gave away the first goal then got himself dismissed.

A weakened team will take the field against Huddersfield. I’ll have no Salt, Burwood or Buckley. Not an ideal position. Wayne Barnes is having an excellent run of form in the reserves, so I may give him his chance.

FA Cup 2nd Round

Hornchurch 1) - (0 Huddersfield

As expected Huddersfield came at us in the first 10 minutes. They had two good chances, a header that sailed over the bar and a close range effort that was cleared off the line by Skelton. Eventually we got a handle on the game and contained them. We were unable to make a telling assault ourselves though.

That changed just before Half Time. Skelton set up Woods, who ran into the box, beat a player and scored. You could argue that the goalkeeper should have done better but I will take nothing away from Woods, he has rediscovered his touch.

Huddersfield were more aggressive in the second half and it was no surprise when they puled level, Lee Carss finding space in the box.

The rest of the game was a litany of missed chances. Huddersfield outclassed us but lacked the finishing power to compete. It will be a difficult night at Huddersfield in the replay.

If we defeat Huddersfield in the replay we’ll be away to Premiership Portsmouth. A money spinner possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hornchurch 1) 2-0 (0 Crawley

My team was still slightly understrength for this tie. Salt returned to the team but I was still missing Buckley and Burwood. Beckford and Culshaw continued in their place.

Crawley dominated the first half and can feel aggrieved to have been trailing at half time, we took the lead early on, a cross from Coburn finding the head of Woods.

I sorted out my midfield for the second half and we were much more cohesive as a unit, gaining dominance in the centre of the field. Tolley came on as a substitute and finished the game off with a low finish from close range. John Robinson’s dismissal made an unlikely comeback impossible.

Ovendale, Woods and Salt all had decent games. Barnes had a decent league debut, though he received a yellow card.

Ovendale goes down with a training injury. He will not be available for 2 weeks and misses the game at Huddersfield. Allaway has his chance to impress.

FA Cup 2nd Round Replay

Huddersfield Town 0)0 -1(1 Hornchurch

The first half was very similar to the first game in this saga, Huddersfield dominated but rarely had a clear cut chance. Then against the run of play Ben Woods broke free of the defence and scored. Things were going our way!

We lead a charmed life in the second half, Huddersfield hit the woodwork and forced a few good saves out of Allaway, we had a few chances of our own though. I don’t think Woods will want to be reminded of a sitter that he scooped wide near the end. We held on though and recorded a fabulous victory against superior opponents.

We will now face Portsmouth at Fratton Park at the end of January. Should be lucrative!

York City 0) 0-3 (1 Hornchurch

An unchanged but tired team took the field at York City. They were still on a high, because they managed to trounce a supposedly strong team. York were chasing a playoff place.

This was Gareth Laws game. He proved instrumental in most of our moves. He had a number of good chances early on but was denied by the brilliance of Robbie Stockdale in goal for York. Poor Robbie’s luck ran out thirteen minutes before the end of the half, Gareth Law pouncing on a Buckley through ball and threading the ball pass him.

I had to make quite a few substitutions in the early stages of the second half, the introduction of Tolley again proved decisive. His fresh legs were deadly to a York team committed to all out attack. He grabbed two more goals in the final quarter of the game. Both set up by a superlative Law.

Law made me proud in this game, he made the difference. I don’t hesitate to sing his praises in the press.

That win takes us to the top, just above Aldershot and Hereford.

Hornchurch 1) 1 -1 (1 Morecambe

With the Christmas season coming up I decided to rest a few of my players. Woods was replaced with Tolley and the very promising Phillip Cousins replaced Phil Salt in Central Midfield. He would have a tough time against fifth placed Morecambe.

Cousins made his mark early on, threading a through ball to Law. His shot sailed over the bar though and that was our only chance in the opening half of the match.

The game never really settled down for us. Morecambe always looked dangerous but had difficulty penetrating our box. We would hit them on the break and that is how we took the lead, Coburn released Tolley with a superb long ball. Tolley’s finish was superb.

Morecambe continued to pressure us and were deserving of their equalizer. Gareth Jennings fired a relatively strong shot from the edge of the area, Allaway will be disappointed that he couldn’t hold on to the ball.

Law almost regained the lead for us before half time, however his shot was splendidly tipped over by their keeper.

The second half didn’t go well for us. We were lucky to hold onto our point. Danny Carlton proved to be especially dangerous. Fortunately Allaway was in fine form in goal and kept us in it. We huffed and puffed our way to a point. We held onto our leadership of the league, both of our nearest rivals drew.

Phillip Cousins had a decent debut.

Accrington Stanley 0-0 Hornchurch

We were under the cosh for this game. Most worryingly Law had another off game. He was quiet in the last tie and pretty poor in this one. We struggled against mid-table Accrington.

Allaway was once again good i goal, he secured the point for us. We also maintain our place at the top of the league, level on points with Hereford and Aldershot. Christmas is not yet over though!

Hornchurch 1)3 -1 (0 Canvey Island

A very much weakened side took the field against mid-table Canvey Island. I handed striker Tom Kemp and Wayne Barnes their first starts. Heathcote returned to the team in place of Woods, Townley replaced the suspended Coburn and Tolley replaced Ben Woods. I hoped the upheavals wouldn’t disturb my teams rythm too much.

Tolley and Kemp showed signs of combining well, Tolley teed up Kemp within 30 seconds but his shot went over the bar.

One of my more established players provided the breakthrough though. Salts through ball was precise and Tolley provided a good finish. We received a deserved early lead.

For a side lacking in confidence Canvey played well, they made a concerned effort to get back into the match and hit the bar once. Allaway also continued his good form. Our best chance came courtesy of Tolley who saw an exquisite chip go just wide.

Townley was influential for us but I had to take him off for the second half due to injury. Ben Woods would make a rare appearance on the Right Wing, only the 2nd time I’ve used him there.

Canvey started the second half off well and no one was surprised when they leveled the game. Our marking was dreadful and Allaway’s positioning suspect as Marvin Robinson stole in to head the ball home.

Canvey didn’t have long to enjoy the fruits of their labour. Kemp and Tolley combined well to put us back in front. Tolley’s initial shot was saved but Kemp crossed the ball and his pass totally confused the defenders. Tolley basically walked the ball into the net.

The final goal was provided by Gareth Law, who came off the subs bench. His provider was Allaway, who’s long ball found him in the area.

A brave performance from Canvey but they were no match for us!

Next up is a classic six pointer of a game, home to our nearest rivals Hereford, who are level on points with us. We hope to avenge our defeat to them on the opening day of the season.

The end of the year is a busy time for me, I begin to renew contracts and watch the awards roll in. I finish third in the Manager of the month stakes. John Burwood wins the Young Player of the Month award. Peterborough sack Barry Fry and offer me the job. I of course refuse.

Hornchurch 0 - 0 Hereford

We dominated the first half in this game against our nearest rivals. However we were unable to convert our pressure into a lead. Law was wasteful in front of goal, missing a hat full of chances. Hereford can count themselves lucky.

The second half was lacking in chances. I took Law off due to his ineffectiveness. Made no difference though. The game stuttered into a lifeless draw. Not surprising really, both teams have the strongest defensive record in the league.

We maintain our lead at the top of te table but are still level on points with two other teams. Rochdale have knocked Aldershot out of third place. I consider Hereford to be our nearest rival they are undefeated after 22 games.

Just over halfway though the season. We are top! Its not over yet though!

FA Cup Third Round

Portsmouth 0)3 -0 (0 Hornchurch

My full team was available for this game and I used it. I knew this would be a very tough game for us and that chances would be few and far between. I would try and hit them on the counter.

As expected Portsmouth put us under a lot of pressure. Yakabu had a hatrick of chances within the first 7 minutes including a free header. However his finishing was wayward. Portsmouth dominated the possession in the first half and seemed camped in our half. However they didn’t manage to force a single save out of Allaway. I knew it was only a matter of time though.

Coburn sustained an injury in the 27th minute. I replaced him with Lee Marshall.

The second half had a bright start for us. Ben Woods intercepted the ball in their half and set up law for a speculative shot. His effort went wide though.

Portsmouth soon reasserted their dominance though and they finally made their breakthrough in the 58th minute. Stefanovich received a cross in the area and headed past a misplaced Allaway. I had no choice but to open up the play a little. Sadly this just made things worse. For the final twenty minutes of the game we were under siege. Alexi Smertin was our nemesis. He scored with two long range efforts. Allaway should have saved the first shot but he had no chance with the second, a superb 30 yard curler.

Portsmouth were not troubled by us at all. A very deflating if unsurprising end to our FA Cup adventure. Better luck next year.

Dagenham & Redbridge 0)0 -2 (1 Hornchurch

Coburn was out for this game and Townley was still recovering from a knock. Ben Woods made another appearence on the right wing. Toley replaced him in attack.

Dagenham are languishing in mid table. They decided that the way to get into the game was to take our players out! Within 20 minutes I had lost both Law and Salt to reckless challenges. Dagenham took advantage of this and began to dictate play. They had a few good chances but their finishing was not the best. Just before the break we took the lead, Kemp combined well with Tolley, who fired in from the edge of the area.

The Daggers continued their aggressive ways into the second half. I lost Kemp due to injury and his replacement Beckford also sustained some tough treatment. Beckford would have the last laugh though. He was on the end of a superb long ball from Tolley. His finish was assured.

The butchers bill was high. Salt is out for a day but my front line has been decimated. Woods is out for a week and Law is going to be absent for almost a month. Kemp and Tolley will be my new attacking pairing. They seem to combine well, so it may be a hidden boon for me. Tolley is well on his way to replacing Woods anyway. Woods hasn’t been very prolific as of late.

Next up a FA Trophy match at Sutton United. A chance for me to rest tired bones and see how my fringe players are coming along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

Unlucky in the cup - it's disapointing when things like that happen, I took Lewes to play Leicester and got beat 3-0. You expect it, but it still comes as a bit of a downer.

Nice stuff though icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair I p[layed the wrong tactics, I used the same tactics that I use against teams who go all out 4-3-3 or 4-2-4. Portsmouth just laughed at me, they could have scored double their final tally. Fortunately Yakubu was very poor game.

FA Trophy Third Round

Sutton Utd 1)1 -2 (1 Hornchurch

An unfamiliar team faced Sutton. Wray and Barnes were on the wing, Tolley was my Guinea Pig in just behind Beckford in attack. I was trying out a 4-5-1 for this match.

It took me about 20 minutes to give up on the 4-5-1. Tolley was just not getting involved, a shame because in theory a 4-5-1 is a favourite of mine. Back to the drawing board. I kept my players in an offensive frame of mind, we played with a lot more width in this match.

That first period was very entertaining. Both teams had chances to take the lead, Sutton forced a scrambled save from Allaway, whilst Wray went on a mazy run that tested the keeper.

When I moved Tolley to a normal strikers role things began to improve. Beckford fed him a nice ball on 22 minutes. Tolley controlled it and chipped the keeper to put us in the lead stylishly.

Sadly my new offensive styling left us full of holes. Sutton threatened and they deserved their 37th minute equalizer. Gary Sweets shot was parried by Allaway. Vansittart was in the right place to knock in the rebound.

I went back to my normal style for the second half. I also gave the underperforming Lynott a kick up the arse.

We were far more secure in the second half, so by default the game turned boring. Neither team had any real chance to take the lead. Bringing on Tom Kemp seemed to have some impact, it wasn’t long before he had forced a save out of Haystead.

Tom Kemp continued to threaten for us but Sutton had a few tricks off their own. Peter Fear rocked our bar and a brave tackle from Grant stopped Sweet in his tracks when he had the goal at his mercy!

We finally won the game in the 78th minute. Skelton and Beckford played some wonderful football. Skelton allowed Barnes to join the party and it was his shot that won the game.

Sutton threatened us in the final quarter of the game but their best was not good enough. We advance but it is a fortunate win.

Hornchurch 1) 2-0 (0 Northwich Victoria

This game almost got postponed. The ole’ orange ball came out. Rekindled memories for me of the dull Luton v Liverpool FA Cup match in the late 80’s

Buckley returned to the team. I also rested Woods and Brand. Heathcote and Marshall replaced them..

Our first half performance finally put paid to my more attacking formation. True we had a Tolley goal disallowed and Salt put the ball into the net from a corner, however I was not happy with the performance. Northwich are struggling, yet they managed to string together a fair few chances.

For the second half I reverted to my usual formation. Northwich were unable to touch us and the game was finished off by Tom Kemp, his first for the club. A close range tap-in from a Beckford cross.

It wasn’t all fun and games though. Salt sustained another injury and Burwood was sent off. His second yellow was dubious and I would appeal if the option was there.

We are now on top of the league. The gap is narrow though, only a point between us and Aldershot!

Barnet 0)0 -2 (1 Hornchurch

Barnet caused us a lot of trouble in our fixture earlier on this season. Since that day their star has fallen, they are 13th in the league and well behind the race.

Salt was unfit so I replaced him with Skelton. Scott Woods and Brand returned to the side. Culshaw replaced the suspended Burwood.

It was a dull first half. Barnet had the better chances,, we had the better converters. Tolley scored the only goal of the first half, a splendid long range shot provided by Kemp.

The second half was a dour affair. We defended very effectively, restricting Barnet to tame speculative efforts. The game was finished in the 81st minute when Townley was brought down in the area. Culshaw converted from the spot and we just strolled through the final ten minutes.

We maintain our lead at the top. Aldershot and Rochdale are hot on our heels though.

Hornchurch 0-0 Gravesend

Ben Woods was welcomed back to the team for this match, he didn’t get much of a chance to shine though. Lowly Gravesend had no intention of playing football today, they stuffed their defence with players .

Tolley had our only decent chance, which was early in the first half. However he had a narrow angle and blasted the ball wide.

An eminently forgettable game. That draw pushed us into second place, Aldershot were victorious and now enjoy a point advantage.

Two Division 2 sides sack their managers and ask me to take over in their place. I leave both Darlington and Wycombe Wanderers out in the cold.

Leigh RMI 0)0 -4 (1 Hornchurch

I made no changes to my side to face lowly Leigh. I was confidant that we would prevail against them.

Leigh made the better running in the first half, fortunately they suffered from poor finishing, a pronlem they share with many other conference teams. We were lucky to have more clinical finishers. Tolley converted our only chance of that period, the Leigh keeper fumbled and he potted the ball home.

The second half was a much more entertaining affair, we went up a notch and Ben Woods rediscovered his scoring boots. His first goal of the game involved superb interplay with Adam Buckley. They strung umpteen passes together before he burst into the box and finished well. On 60 minutes he grabbed his second, Tolley set him up with a splendid long ball.

Scott Cross did his Leigh prospects no good in the 70th minute when he was dismissed for a second bookable offence. It was his first start as well. Now Leigh were very limited in attacking options.

Soon after the dismissal I took the chance to change my attacking pairing. I took Tolley off and replaced him with Kemp. Now Leigh have to deal with 2 strikers who like to run with the ball!

Kemp scored his second of the season in the death. He was released by Townley and dribbled into the box. He managed to squeeze the ball past the keeper and completed the rout.

A superb performance from the team. Despite our win we stay in second, Aldershot won at Canvey Island, so things are unchanged.

January passes over into February. Ed Brand was unlucky awards wise, he finished second in both The Player of the Month category and the Young Players. Tom Kemp was awarded a goal of teh month for his effort against Leigh.

FA Trophy 4th Round

Canvey Island 1) 1-0 (0 Hornchurch

Canvey made the better start to the game and tested us early on. However it was when I thought that the game was beginning to settle that they struck. Boylan powered in a header from a cross and gave them a lead that they deserved.

We made little headway in the first half, our only effort was a Coburn shot that was easily saved by their keeper.

We played better in the 2nd half but still lacked clear cut chances. The introduction of Tom Kemp seemed to help but it wasn’t enough. We were out of the FA Trophy at an early stage.

Nuneaton Borough 1) 2-0 (0 Hornchurch

I fear that our bad spell is finally upon us, our second defeat in a row, this time at seventh placed Nuneaton.

Gareth Law returned to the team but he made little impact. It was a dull game, the best chances were the goals. The first was a Whittaker cross that went awry, fooling Allaway. The second was a cross spilled by Allaway and converted by Thorne.

I have some work to do.

Hornchurch 1) 1-0 (0 Tamworth

The first few minutes of this game were quickfire. Tamworth hit the bar with a header then we counterattacked. Woods ran for miles with the ball then set up Law. Law rounded teh keeper then slotted in.

Tamworth were another one of those teams who came to Upminster with the sole intention of muscling us out of teh game. By halftime I’d lost both Ben Woods and Law, both players who had been vulnerable in the past.

We just about dominated the half but failed to make more headway.

The second half was a highly entertaining affair full of attacking football. The Tamworth keeper was in splendid form, Ricardo Beckford was in wasteful form, he was clear through on four occasions and missed the lot.

We staggered to victory, the goalkeepers kept the scoring down!

Gareth Law is out for another three weeks, this time with a fractured cheekbone. More time for Tolley to shine.

Woking 1) 2-4 (1 Hornchurch

Despite the fact they lost a defender through dissent within the first few minutes of the game, we made hard work of Woking. They showed amazing tenacity and it was only during the final ten minutes of the game that we managed to break them down.

Steve Boardman was dismissed on 4 minutes, despite our advantage we were unable to muster a single intentional attempt on goal during the first half. Our goal came courtesy of a bewildered Tolley, he wasn’t aware of the ball striking him on the temple, he was certainly aware that the ball hit the back of the net though!

Woking were dangerous in front of goal. It was their superiority at set pieces that enabled them to equalize, Bruce heading the ball in from a corner.

We played with a lot more width in the second half. The chances didn’t exactly flow but we were more effective. Tolley put us ahead through a Buckley cross on 63 but it wasn’t long before Woking equalized through another corner, Lawrence being the killer of our dreams this time.

The introduction of Ricardo Beckford changed the game for us. His pace destroyed a weary Woking defence. He added two goals in the last ten minutes to give us a very fortunate, let alone flattering victory. This game shouldn’t have troubled us.

Hornchurch 0-0 Halifax

Many of my regulars were rested for this match. most of team were tired and I wanted my elite to be fit for the trip to Carlisle. We dominated the game but clear chances were few and far between. Not our best of performances.

Carlisle Utd 1) 1-0 (0 Hornchurch

We are showing signs of cracking again. Buckley and Coburn were dreadful in this game, Coburn also got himself sent off for dissent. He was joined by Beckford in the second half, effectively scuppering our already slim chance of recovery.

We were totally outplayed by Carlisle, in no way did we deserve sp much as a point out of this game. A very disappointing performance.

Our last three games have been disappointing A lucky win against the second from bottom team, we failed to defeat the bottom side at home and rarely looked like scoring, then a comprehensive defeat at the hands of one of our nearest rivals!

I think the Conference has wised up to us. I think the rest of the season is going to be very tough.

Our sequence of games against high flying opponents continues. Our next matches are away to Bury then home to Rochdale.

On Friday evening I was tuned in to Radio Essex. Usually a station I try to avoid, since it rehashes the same ‘Top 10’ crap over and over. However they do have a remit to inform their loyal Neanderthals about local sport, Hornchurch have recently come to their attention.

I was shocked to hear Graham Barrow on the radio. Barrow is the manager of Bury, a town which is situated in the North of England. I was angry at being ignored by the local radio station in favour of an alien, my anger would only multiply infinitely when I heard the drivel coming out of Barrow’s mouth.

“Hornchurch are lucky to be here!â€

“ Dantering is an unproven manager, I’m unsure that he can maintain his teams good fortune!â€

“Bury are the more accomplished team!â€

“A good chance for us to wind down after a tough month playing against decent opposition!â€

His tough opposition included the likes of Leigh RMI and Northwich. I had a statement prepared in response to Barrows nonsense, Essex FM decided not to air it though. Only people interested in the Upminster Gazzette would read my reply. I was quite scathing and the stage was set.

Bury 1) 1-3 (0 Hornchurch

My squad wasn’t in the best of states for this game. Four of my regulars were out. Law and Grant through injury, Coburn through suspension and Buckley because he had been useless in the last game. I would have dropped Coburn as well, the suspension saved him. As it is, both he and Buckley will enjoy a spell in the reserves.

My replacements were Culshaw in defence. Wray and Barnes on the wings. Tolley continued in attack, he recently scored his 20th league goal and is making a splendid claim to a permanent place in the starting 11. Wray as a second chance at life, earlier I was committed to letting him rot i the reserves, circumstances have dictated otherwise though.

Bury came out onto the field with a very positive attitude. They combined their intent to play good football with a desire to kick our players out of the game. Within the first fifteen minutes I was forced to take off both Wray and Barnes due to bad challenges. Lee Marshall and Phil Townley took their place.

Bury’s tactics worked a treat in the first half. Their tough style subdued my players and they weren’t shabby in the attack either. Chris Porter had numerous chances but it was Hector Sam who provided the breakthrough, his close range effort took a deflection of Culshaw and went in.

I knew I’d have to have a much more positive attitude in the second half. I pushed Marshall and Townley up slightly on the wings. This seemed to do the trick. Both players were instrumental in our much improved performance.

Tolley made it level just 4 minutes into the half. He took advantage of a suicidal header in the Bury 6 yard box and finished with his usual aplomb!

Ten minutes later Bury put paid to a third player, Phil Salt was this time on the end of their tender treatment. I replaced him with Skelton.

Whilst Salt was on the touchline receiving treatment, we went into the lead. Tolley again was our scorer, this time being on the end of a Marshall through ball.

Ben Woods finished them off for me. He took down a splendid Townley long ball and placed the ball in the corner.

Bury desperately tried to claw back the goals but they were impotent. They consoled themselves by kicking a fourth player of the field, Ed Brand.

An excellent second half performance from the guys. I was satisfied to stuff Barrows words down his throat. I said as much in the post match interview. I made no secret of my contempt for Barrow and his arrogant attitude. I also took the chance to lambast Essex FM for ignoring Hornchurch and for having a crap playlist. Furthermore they are now banned from the stadium and will get no interviews with me or the team.

Thanks to Bury I now have a big injury list. Brand and Barnes are out for a few days. Wray is inactive for a fortnight. Not ideal for a tough game against Rochdale!

How on Earth do Aldershot afford almost 500k to purchase Jamie McMaster. The Midfielder comes in from Wolves. They are making no bones about their intent to win promotion!

Sam Parkin, the manager of Rochdale stated that whoever lost this game would probably fall behind in the Championship race. I took the time to agree with his comments. At least he was far less arrogant than Barrow.

Hornchurch 0)1-1(0 Rochdale.

Tom Kemp made a start as a striker whilst I shifted Ben Woods to the Right Wing. Beckford started on the left.

It was an exciting first half, all it lacked was a goal. Plenty of chances but the accuracy was terrible, neither keeper was tested. Kemp was our best player, having two reasonable chances. Rochdale had the best chance of the half, Keith Townson blasting a good chance wide. Overall Hornchurch had the lions share of the chances though.

The second half wasn’t anywhere near as exciting as the first. Goals did come though. Rochdale took the lead thanks to a superb Bertos long range effort. Predictably once they went ahead, they began to play defensively.

It took us till five minutes from time to level the match. Woods set off Kemp who had found space on the wing. His cross to Tolley was perfect. Tolley continued his excellent goal scoring form.

The rest of the match drizzled out. A very average display from my team. Allaway and Culshaw were especially off colour. Both have able replacements waiting in the wings.

Hornchurch 1) 1-0 (0 Scarborough

I rested Scott Woods for this game and replaced him with Heathcote. Wayne Barnes returned to the Left Wing.

I went out with an attacking mentality for this game, consequently we spent the majority of the half on the backfoot against struggling Scarborough. The away team may have had the bulk of the chances, ours were of better quality though. Phil Salt had the goal at his mercy twice, he managed to convert one of them after just 7 minutes. Splendid work on the wing by Barnes opened the way.

The second half was rather dull. The only incident of note was a superb run from the halfway line by Beckford. He forced a good save out of their keeper. The meandered to a narrow victory for us.

A very workmanlike performance from the team. No-one really impressed.

Aldershot 1) 2-0 (0 Hornchurch

We barely troubled Aldershot in this game, our inability to dominate games is really beginning to trouble me. Aldershot were all over us in this game and stretched their lead at the top to six points. I don’t think we’ll catch them now.

Hornchurch 0) 1-0 (0 Margate

Gareth Law made his first team return after a few games in the reserves. Burwood was out through injury, so Culshaw returned to the team.

This was a fairly easy game for us against relegation battlers. Margate had very little to offer, we should have made lighter work of them.

The first half was a boring spectacle. Our only two shots on goal were wayward efforts. Once again my entertaining efforts provided little to enjoy.

We were much improved in the second half. Woods and Barnes were passing from deeper positions on the pitch and it seemed to work a treat. The introduction of Ricardo Beckford also changed things, he ran the Margate defence ragged.

Phil Salt scored the only goal of teh game, running in late onto a Beckford cross. It was enough to win us the game!

Woods and Barnes had superb games on the wings.

Adam Buckley goes AWOL from training. That combined with his recent poor performances compels me to fine him 2 weeks wages. I also place him on the transfer list. Shrewsbury come in soo after with a bid for 20k.

Adam Buckley leaves for Shrewsbury. I’m glad to be rid of him.

Crawley Town 0) 0-5 (5 Hornchurch

Scott Woods returned to the team for this game. What a game for him to return to. We were absolutely superb in the first half, Salt and Law were instrumental.

Law proved that he has returned to form with a hat trick. Salt scored from a freekick and Tolley completed the rout with a rebound from a parried Law shot.

Crawley were much improved in the second half, we were unable to add to our total. I’m not going to complain about a 5-0 win away from home though. This defeat slips Crawley into relegation trouble.

Morecambe 1) 1-3 (1 Hornchurch

Away to mid-table Morecambe, who had fought really well at our place. I’m hoping for better luck this time around.

The game started of in an exciting fashion, Jamie Heard was lucky to stay on the pitch following a reckless challenge on Tolley. He did give away a penalty though, Lynott stepped up and finished with ease. His first of the season.

The first half was a drab affair, it was livened up by Morecambe’s equalizer. Excellent work by Carlton on the wing, his cross found the unmarked Hunter who had no difficulty finishing from close range.

The second half started dangerously for us, Morecambe threatened at corners. It took the introduction of Ricardo Beckford to change things. His pace and ball control were the keys to unlocking a tight home defense. He put us ahead thanks to a superb Salt through ball, Morecambe’s defenders were unable to keep up with him. He returned the favour when his shot was deflected out to Salt, who finished easily from close on in.

We are second in the table and have secured a playoff place. Aldershot won at home to Bury, so maintain a 3 point lead. The next games are vital. We have a more difficult run of games, Home against Accrington and York City, both in the top ten. The final game is away to Canvey Island, who have already proved they can defeat us.

Aldershot have easier opposition on paper, they have more away games though. They are away to Scarborough, who are not safe from relegation. Then they have to travel to playoff chasing Rochdale. My hopes rest in that game. Their final game is against relegation contenders Woking, who may have lost their Conference status by then. I await the outcome with baited breath.

Hornchurch 1) 3-0 (0 Accrington Stanley

Accrington packed out the midfield for this game and it certainly dulled our momentum. Chances were few and far between but we did manage to make a breakthrough. Tolley and Law combined well. Tolley’s cross found the head of Law, who nodded the ball in with ease.

Going in at half time was pleased to learn that Aldershot were losing at Scarborough. Excellent news indeed, I just hoped it would last.

Gareth Law effectively put the game out of reach for Accrington. He latched onto Barnes cross and finished from just outside the area. I considered ourselves safe, Accrington hadn’t really offered us anything. It was all up to Scarborough now and according to my sources, they had just gone 2-0 up against Scarborough. My day just got better.

With twenty minutes left I brought on Beckford and Phillip Cousins, who had just returned from a good spell at Hayes in the Conference South.

Beckford once again proved deadly, he was provided by Barnes and scored an easy close range effort. Now we were in the clear.

As our teams retired from the stadium I was brought the news. Aldershot had been defeated at Scarborough. Now the ball was in our court. Our next games would be vital!

Already I am looking to next season. The positions I want to fill are Right Winger, Goalkeeper and a Defensive Midfielder. Right Wing has always been problematic with me, what with Coburn being very average and Wray’s disciplinary problems. Allaway and Lynott have played well as Goalkeeper and Defensive Midfielder respectively, I think I could do with a little more class in those areas though. My other aim is to attract a fair amount of youth talent. Tom Kemp and Wayne Barnes. have broken through and Phillip Cousins looks promising. I’d love to add to my setup.

A good way to lighten my load is to dispose of aging players who don’t really have a future at Hornchurch. Tolo Mas will sign for Notts County in July, a strange move by the League 2 team. Ovendale requested a transfer and I accepted. Other players like Wray and possibly Coburn may find themselves out if I’m able to recruit decent players!

Arsenal win the Premiership under the noses of Chelsea. Mourinho’s promised domination of English Football fails to appear!

Hornchurch 0)0 -3(2 York City

An absolutely dire performance, Allaway’s hands were made of putty in this game, the rest of the team were not much better either.

York took the lead after 40 seconds and after that they never really looked back. We were poor in front of goal and York made the most of their chances. What made it worse was that Rochdale capitulated at home to Aldershot, losing 5-1. I don’t think we’ll be getting automatic qualification somehow!

After the game I issued warnings to Allaway, Burwood and Scott Woods. It is unacceptable for them to let us down in such an important game. Furthermore I am recalling Ovendale and dropping Allaway to the reserves for the final game at Canvey!

Canvey Island 0-0 Hornchurch

Another unimpressive performance form the team, though not reaching the depths of the York City debacle. Allaway made up for his poor performance against York with a number of good saves. Canvey dominated this game but we had the better chances. This was especially true when Beckford came on, unfortunately his finishing was off key.

Woking put up some brave resistance against Aldershot, sadly they collapsed in the second half going down 3-0 and allowing the Shots to win in style.

The season is now effectively over. The Conference waves goodbye to Margate, Northwich and Woking. We have the fu that is the Playoffs to look forward to!

Joy of joys we are to face Bury in the Playoff Semi’s. If we lose against them I will be disconsolate! Especially following my media battles with their manager!

CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS SEMI FINAL FIRST LEG

Hornchurch 3) 3-0 (0 Bury

I kept the same team that drew against Canvey. Bury were going with a 3-5-2, so I decided to give Woods and Barnes free rein.

We made a superb start to the game. After just 4 minutes Law released Tolley, whose finish was precise and powerful. A dream start.

The rest of the half settled down, we were adept at dispossessing Bury in our half then building on that. It was on one such Counter Attack that Law was set up for a long range effort. His shot went wide however. He had much better luck on the half hour mark, Burwood supplied a sublime through ball, Law muscled their defender off the ball and finished well.

Bury had a single chance in that half, a freekick that failed to trouble Allaway. We weren’t that prolific ourselves, however we were very accurate. Just before half time we put the game beyond doubt. Lee Grant pressured Dunfield into heading the ball past his own keeper.

Going into half time we were in a very commanding position. It would take a fightback of epic proportions for Bury to get back into the game. That or a collapse on our part of equally epic proportions!

Bury were much more threatening in the second half, however they only managed a single goal from their domination, Kuqi finding himself unmarked in the box and scoring. Both teams seemed to lack penetration though.

Their best chance also fell to Kuqi, he forced a fantastic double save from Allaway. However we held on to take a two goal advantage to the North of England.

Nuneaton won at Carlisle making them our likely rivals if we reach the final.

I make an offer for Dutch player Dennis Scharrenburg, who plays for Dutch Non League team Kozakken Boys. He is an experienced Defensive Midfielder who’s had a number of spells with FC Utrecht in the Dutch Premier League. His conditions aren’t outlandish and I’m confident of landing him.

CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS SEMI FINAL SECOND LEG

(3)Bury 1) 2 -2 (0 Hornchurch(5)

I expected a much more aggressive posture from Bury for this game. I made two changes to the side. Lynott and Brand were unfit, so I rested them in favour of Rickers and Marshall, hopefully their inclusion wouldn’t upset things too much!

Bury went out with exactly the same formation they used against us in our league encounter at their ground, a 4-3-3. I instructed my players to make use of the width of the pitch.

The first twenty minutes were not without incident. Kuqi fired a speculative shot over, whilst Tolley had a shot well saved by their keeper. We were stretching their defence somewhat, which was promising.

My wingers were getting a lot of space. Barnes received a cross field ball from Woods and really should have made more of the chance that was presented, he blasted the ball way wide.

Bury started to look more dangerous though and on the stroke of half time they took the lead. Dunfield teed up Porter with Bury’s first decent chance of the game. He of course scored. A very tense way to go into half time, Bury couldn’t have chosen a better moment!

Soon after the break Bury came close to levelling the tie on aggregate. Mattis hit the bar with a header and only a desperate lunge from Salt prevented things from getting worse!

Shane Tolley soon made things happy for me. He took control of a Woods freekick and somehow managed to thread the ball through a dense cloud of Bury players. The home team would have to score another 3 goals to go through now.

Bury put some intense pressure on us, going close a few times. They finally got back into the tie thanks to a dubious decision from the referee. Kuqi was fairly challenged by Barnes but the ref though otherwise. He pointed to the spot and Kazim Richards blasted past Allaway.

Bury continued their pressure but it was Hornchurch who scored next, Law was released following a Counterattack and he made no mistake. We were through to the playoff final, off that I was sure.

We are through to the Playoff final, where we will face Carlisle United at the Britannia Stadium. Carlisle will be a tough test for us. We haven’t been able to beat them this season, in fact we haven’t scored so much as a goal against them.

I am buoyed by the news that Dennis Scharrenburg will be wearing a Hornchurch shirt next season. Good news indeed, he may force Lynott out of his role just in front of the defense!.

CONFERENCE PLAYOFF FINAL

Carlisle Utd 0) 2-1 (1 Hornchurch

Carlisle made a very bright start to the game, having numerous chances to score within the opening 10 minutes. Lumsden should have scored just after the kickoff when he had the goal at his mercy, however his shot just went wide.

We were overwhelmed in the first fifteen minutes so I decided to change things. I brought most of my players behind the ball and decided to hit them on the counter. Barnes and Woods would sit much closer in to our defenders.

The new tactic paid dividends. Soon after we took the lead. Barnes took the ball of Hawley in our own half and delivered a ball for Law to chase. Law was first to the ball and finished well

Carlisle had great difficulty breaking my team down and we went into the half with the advantage.

As soon as the half began we fell victim to some dodgy refereeing. Grant brought down Farrell on the edge of the area. However the referee inexplicably gave a penalty, second game in a row we have fallen victim to a bad decision. Livesy stepped up and levelled the match.

Soon after Carlisle almost took the lead, only brave keeping from Allaway kept us in there. However five minutes from time things took a turn for the worst. Lumsden shot from the edge of the area, his attempt went through Allaway and into the net.

I had no choice but to attack in the final period of the game. I had been saving my players for possible extra time, however I was forced to bring on Townley and Cousins. It made no difference, we lost.

We didn’t play badly in the game. We have never been able to match Carlisle offensively in any of our games against them. Though in this match it took a very poor refereeing decision to get them back in the game. Ray Gould will not be welcome in Essex, if he and his family were to lose their lives, I would not be too unhappy, not at all unhappy.

How very disappointing. I hope for better things next season! The squad building starts soon!

Archived