Playing 4231 with 3 AMs

Hi all, i have bought players to try and get this system to work well, with a normal back 4, 2 CMs, 3 AMs and a lone striker.

So far i am dominating most games but having trouble scoring.

Has anyone had any experience playing with this sort of tactic? If so, what sort of settings did you use?

I have the middle AM as an advanced playmaker, and my striker as an advanced forward. Was thingking it might be an idea to use him as a target man, but unsure if this would negate alot of the midfield players

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

I've been playing that tactics with ADO Den Haag for 15+ seasons now, and I've used a couple of different roles for my striker: attacking complete forward, poacher, attacking target man and advanced forward. I guess I've had the best success with complete forward and target man. I just pick the role which fits the player. I used Michael Eneramo as a target man for six seasons, and he scores between 15-25 every year (in the league). After that, I've been using regens mostly as complete forwards. I'm sure which role I'd prefer to use; I just try to make use of the players strong points. Big/stong = target man; quick but with poorer mental/technical stats= poacher; well-rounded = complete forward. I only ever use advanced forward when my complete forward isn't performing well.

Also, if my striker is having a bad game, I often set him to poacher in the second half to make him less involved in the game; so he's just waiting for the pass. It seems to make him more likely to score.

The key to success with this formation are the two MC's. What roles do you use them in? I use box-to-box/supporting deep playmaker, and I've previously used defending ball-winning/attacking advanced playmaker. The old way worked better offensively, but left huge gaps between my defense and midfield.

I use a narrow 4-2-3-1 created with the Tactics Creator.

Standard back four, but with full-backs on "Defend", one centre-back on "Stopper", one on "Cover".

Two MC's, both set to "Deep-Lying Playmaker", one on "Defend", one on "Support".

Of the AMC's, AMC left and AMC right set to "Inside Forward" and "Attack", with the central AMC set to "Advanced Playmaker" and "Support".

The single striker is set to "Complete Forward" and "Attack".

Of course, all of these settings depend upon the attributes of your players. With the settings I'm using, I'm fortunate enough to have some good "all-rounders", who can handle the duality of some of the roles they're assigned. For example, my "DLP" with "Defend", is one of those rare players who has both excellent defensive abilities, as well as superb creative attributes.

Likewise, the "Complete Forward" role. This needs a lot of strong key attributes and I'm fortunate enough to have both Fernando Torres and Hulk, who fit the bill nicely, but have enough subtle differences about them that I can swap them and make an impact, without changing the role. If either of these players are injured, I have a talented young striker as backup. He's not got the overall strength of attributes as them, but he's perfect for the "Poacher" role, which I switch him to.

Finally, this sort of system can vary in success depending upon which country you're using it, and the types of systems you'll regularly face. It can be altered simply enough with shouts during matches, so keep an eye on what your assistant manager suggests, if he's got decent Tactical Knowledge and Judging Player Ability that is. Otherwise, go with your own observations. I love the style of football it produces and the flexibility. Watching the games, the formation can seem to morph into 4-5-1 or 4-2-4.

Archived