I don't think it's cliche - it's just done wrongly by some sites who are completely missing the point.

sortitoutsi.net originally did it as server costs were spiralling upwards and so needed a way to keep it online by members each contributing to the cost of running it.

Other sites seem to have the belief that we charged members on a whim or something, to try and make some money out of it.

Any site that charges money, when it doesn't actually require it, and then doesn't invest it directly back into the site can gtf quite frankly :)

And for the record I feel the same way about adverts, and thinks such as Google Ads where people seem to want to try and make money by defacing their site and pushing content out of the way for a few pennies :thdn:

I mean cliche in the way it is now excuted (the same on most sites...extra downloads, beta testing etc...).

I agree Caley, I refuse to put adverts on my site due to the fact it is very ugly (one or two are ok as long as they are pushed to the side and not in harms way) but FM-Base adverts are awful with the "single ladies" and has no place in FM forums what so ever.

Archived