[FM10] Levski Sofia - The Rise Back To Promenance

Right, since the new patch came out I was struggling to pick a team that I felt that could become a long term save. So after scrapping a handful of saves, I decided to pick Levski Sofia.

Why did I pick Levski ? I chose Levski because they are one of the most supported, most successful sides in Bulgaria - however, recently it hasn't gone all their way domestically and they been relatively poor in Europe when they've managed to qualify.

Game: Football Manager 2010

Patch: 10.3

Leagues loaded: Bulgaria (B division and above), England (Coca Cola Championship and above), Italy (Serie A only), Germany (Bundesliga only), Spain (La Liga y Segunda Division), Serbia (Serbian First League and Premier League)

Database size: Large. Approx. 100k players loaded

PFK Levski Sofia

Levski_sofia_Logo.JPG

Year Founded : 1914

Stadium : Georgi Asparuhov or Vasil Levski (in European games)

Capacity: 29,300 (Georgi Asparuhov), 43,632 (Vasil Levski)

Fierce Rivals: CSKA Sofia

Media Prediction : 1st

Continental Competition : Uefa Champions League

Star Players: Yordan Miliev (DC), Georgi Sarmov (DM,MC)

Youth Prospects: Aleksandar Kirov (AML) , Lachezar Baltanov (AM RC) , Viktor Genev (DC)

My Aim

To successfully retain the title and win the Bulgarian Cup and to challenge in Europe and over time hopefully win in Europe

Season Summary 2009/2010

Trophies Won: Bulgarian "A" Group and Bulgarian Super Cup.

Performance in Europe: Finished 3rd in my CL Group (AC Milan, Porto and Besiktas) and ended up getting to the QF of the Europa League where we got knocked out by Bordeaux 4-3 on aggregate.

Positives of the season: My performance in Europe was very pleasing and the total domination in the league was also good.

Negatives of the season: Not many negatives during the season but the loss to Vadima-Rakovski in the Bulgarian Cup on penalties was not acceptable.

League Table

2mwv2ol.png

Transfers

2mg3urq.png

Squad

fvlb40.png

Fixtures and Results

http://tinypic.com/r/22cmco/6 and http://tinypic.com/r/2rdemmt/6

Performances and Players

Lassad Nouioui (ST) - Loaned him from Deportivo and he has been immense for us this season, our top goalscorer with 19 goals in all comps and has been superb all season.

Georgi Sarmov (DM, MRC) - Georgi had a brilliant season and he has been a rock at the midfield and he has chipped in with a fair share of the goals - his performances earned him his 1st Cap for Bulgaria and he desrved.

Veselin Minev (D/WBL) - Been amazing in the season, doing his duty both attacking and in a defensive manner - top lad.

Lachezar Baltanov (AM RC) - A young lad and a great prospect, he has played well through out the season and rightfully included in the youth setup for Bulgaria

Oscar (AMRC) - Despite only having him on loan from January, Oscar made up for lost time and has been superb in his spell at the club.

Top Scorer - Lassad Nouioui 19 goals.

Top Assists - Kiko Fermenia 12 assists.

Best Signing - Nouioui and Oscar on loan + Kiko Fermenia 300k

2vi0dxs.png

vifjwp.png

Two best youth talents, i feel they can go straight into the first team. Nouioui's loan ended, so did Oscar's but i managed to get Marquinhos on loan and currently negotiating with Kryvtsov. Parshivlyuk from Spartak Moscow has arrived on loan as i need a good RB.

3022zhy.png

Just bought this guy from Spartak Plovdiv for 26k and has the potential to become a leading "A" Group midfielder

Levski Sofia 4 - 1 CSKA Sofia (Bulgarian Super Cup)

Nikolay Minchev (23), Florentin Pere (pen 45)

Kiko Fermenia (28), Florentin Pere missed pen 83

Samet Kostov (35,43)

Very good start to the season, a thrashing of my biggest rivals ! They had the majority of the possession but we made the most of the ball when we had it.

Man of the Match : Kiko Fermenia 9.0

Samet Kostov also did well (8.8)

Levski Sofia 4 - 0 Lokomotiv 1936 Plovdiv (Bulgarian "A" Group)

Samet Kostov (17,64)/ Martin Sechkov sent off

Marquinhos (45,83)

Good win over a potentially tricky encounter. Marquinhos and Kostov have been instrumental so far and I hope they can keep it up until the end of the season :) MoM was Kostov (9.1) and Marquinhos got 9.0

5 wins from 5 in the league leaves us at summit.

Sevilla 0 - 1 Levski Sofia ( Champions League Group E)

Samet Kostov (59)

An amazing performance by the lads on the road. I didn't expect this result at all, especially since it was away so this was an awesome result and all round performance. It was a fairly even encounter in the first half without many chances being created. Jonathen Cristaldo played as a lone man and this wasnt working for us.

Samet Kostov the 16 year old regen enters the fray. We get a free kick in the middle of the park and the ball is lofted into the box, the keeper makes a hash of his timing and Kostov takes it past the keeper and into the net. For the next half hour, I change the tactics to 'Counter' as Sevilla bombard us but we manage to cling onto a vital 3 points. They put the ball in the back of the net in the 92nd minute via Fredi Kanouté but it was flagged for offside. There was a penalty claim on both sides that wasn't given, with their shout being the one that looked more of a penalty. This was a glorious day for the football club and the lads deserved the win. Right Back Sergey Parshivlyuk who is currently on loan from Spartak Moscow was the man of the match and deserved the accolade, finishing the game with a rating of 8.9

28.09.10 - Vasili Levski Stadion

Levski Sofia 0 - 2 Juventus (Champions League Group E)

Simone Pepe (21)

Vicenzo Iaquinta (49)

Well, well, well. Now, this was a game that I expected to receive a thrashing in but as it turned out it was anything but. The scoreline, in all honesty, flattered Juventus.

The game was fairly even and the scoreline was all down to the quality of the finishing, we both had 16 shots (4 on target for us, 10 for them) and they had 2 clear cut chances which led to the goals. Samet Kostov, Marquihos and Georgi Sarmov went close for us but we got caught on the counter by Juve twice and fair play to them. Simone Pepe finished off a well crafted move on the 21st minute and as we went into half time I felt happy with our perfomance. I encouraged the lads and I felt that they worked their socks off but unfortunately to no avail. Another counter by Juve was ended by Vicenzo Iaquinta who was looking in an offside position imo. A good performance by the lads but we were unfortunate - I reckon that we will bounce back well and take this in our stride as a learning curve.

Kiko Fermenia was the pick of the players, finishing on a rating of 7.5 and MoM

In the other group game, Red Star beat Sevilla 2-1 in Belgrade which leaves Sevilla rock bottom

September Review 2010

Bulgarian "A" Group: Levski 4-0 Loko Plovdiv

This game turned out to be very comfortable which was not what i expected as they were one of two teams to beat me in the league last year and I thought it was going to be a very tough game.

Champions League Group E : Sevilla 0-1 Levski

This result has been the pick of results during the season and the performace to go with it as the match review above states. Lads were awesome both in attack and at the back when called upon and deserved the win. This result will take some beating in terms of importance.

Bulgarian "A" Group: Pirin 0-2 Levski

Fairly routine win. Kostov and Sarmov the scorers and the margin could've and probably should've increased.

Bulgarian "A" Group: Levski 3 - 1 Slavia Sofia

A good win over city rivals - Nikolay Minchev brace and Sarmov yet again amongst the goals, the midefield general seems to be finding his goalscoring boots from last season and carrying over this season.

Champions League Group E : Levski 0 - 2 Juve

Expected a drumming at the hands of the Italian Giants but if anything i am slightly disappointed that we didnt get a point which i felt was deserved based on our performance. Fermenia was quality in the game and picked out the MoM award

19.10.10 FK Crvena Zvezda - Marakana

Red Star Belgrade 0 - 1 Levski Sofia

Illyan Minchev (68)

This was a very hard fought game, much more so than I had anticipated and so far this has been our toughest group game in the CL. The possesion was fairly even throughout the game and despite having 15 shots, they only had one that was on target. On the contrast, we had 8 shots with 3 on target and we hit the woodwork as well.

In the end, Red Star's resilliance was broken via a set play and Illyan Minchev managed to put the ball into the back of the net. Our whole team played well but imo the defence was rock solid and Veselin Minev got the MoM award with the rating of 7.4

In the other group game Juventus beat Sevilla

October Summary 2010

Bulgarian "A" Group: Cherno More 1-2 Levski

This was a scrappy win, but a win nonetheless and the win maintained our 100% win record in the league. We fell behind early on but Lucas Pusineri pulled us level and a penalty was converted by Samet Kostov to seal the win and get 3 points

Bulgarian "A" Group: Levski 4-0 Montana

A fairly routine win over a mid table side. Marquinhos, Feremenia, Lachezar Baltanov and Nikolay Minchev with the goals that kept us firmly at the top.

Champions League Group E: Red Star 0-1 Levski

As the match report says above, this was a match that was very tough and a hard fought encounter that saw us prevail. The win meant that we climbed to second with 6pts. Juve were top with 9pts and Red Star were 3rd with 3pts - Sevilla are bottom without a point so far.

Bulgarian "A" Group: Levski 4-0 Sportist Sovge

A Samet Kostov hattrick starts off the rout, with a Nikolay Minchev strike finishing it off. Very good performance and result.

Bulgarian "A" Group: Levski 2-0 Sliven 2000

Solid performance against the surprise package of the league. Kiko Fermenia opened the scoring and a penalty converted by Samet Kostov added

3.11.10 Vasil Levski Stadion

Levski Sofia 4 - 2 Red Star Belgrade (Champions League Group E)

Elin Topuzakov (pen 18, pen 45), Joshua Obaje (32)

Nikolay Minchv (70, 89), Dejan Lekic (42)

Gabriel sent off, Antonio sent off

Goals galore in this game and I have mixed feelings about this win. I am delighted with the performance and the result that we got, however, I am also reserved about the win and I am not happy that we conceded twice in the game.

We set out to attack right from the off, having many chances being squandered. But, despite the missed efforts, our pressure finally came off as Gabriel brought down Marquinhos and stopped a goal scoring opportunity which led to him getting the early bath. Elin Topuzakov coolly placed his pen in the corner and that gave us the lead. However, despite our dominance, Red Star hit us on the break and Joshua Obaje finished off the move. They had the momentum now and this was shown as they increased in confidence and they created more chances. Finally, they managed to convert one of their chances and Dejan Lekic scored. I changed my tactics a bit so that we attacked more and Marquinhos was tripped up in the box by Nikola Lazetic. Yet again Topazukov was there to convert his second penalty.

At the interval I chose to encourage the lads, instead of criticizing and this decision proved to be vital. They came back from the break and created numerous chances but were unable to beat Sasa Stamenkovic who was between the sticks. Eventually, the deadlock was broken by a Nikolay Minchev strike which set the pattern for the rest of the game as the boys pushed on and Minchev got his second.

13.11.2010 Vasil Levski Stadion

Levski Sofia 3 - 2 CSKA Sofia (Bulgarian "A" Group)

Marquinhos (6,77), Michel Platini (3)

Jonathen Cristaldo (20), Nasser Daineche (31)

A very good win over rivals and a very good confidence boost, and to top things off we still maintain a 100% win record in the league.

As expected, this was a fiery encounter and surprisingly only 4 yellow cards were dished out but both teams came out of the block and made the intentions clear - with many shots being pulled off, but not many going on target. It was a quick start to the scoring with Michel Platini opening the scoring in the 3rd minute, but our loan man Marquinhos was the one who put us level on the 6th minute and this spurred us on. We pushed on to increase our advantage and made many chances, but to no avail. However, on the 20th minute our work paid off and Jonathen Cristaldo put us ahead and we had the game firmly within our hands and we dictated the tempo of the game. Against the run of play, CSKA received a free kick and from this free kick Nasser Daineche headed the ball into the back of the net. This gave the momentum to them and we headed into the break level.

I felt that we had played well but the free kick that we had conceded was very sloppy and despite this I encouraged the lads. This was to pay dividense, the 2nd half was as fiery as the 1st half but during the whole game there weren't many clear-cut chances. We had the majority of the shots in general and the majority of shots on target and this was finally shown on the 77th minute when Marquinhos got his 2nd and sealed the win.

23.11.2010 Vasil Levski

Levski Sofia 3 - 3 Sevilla (Champions League Group E)

Jonathen Cristaldo (17, 39), Sebastian Squillaci (24)

Kiko Fermenia (30), Alvaro Negredo (82, 90+2)

A thrilling encounter that I cannot believe we drew. I was very surprised by our domination in this game, even though Sevilla were struggling domestically they had a chance to go through to the knockout stages of the Champions League. We started the stronger creating chances, but not ones that were particularly threatening. On the 17th minute, Jonathen Cristaldo put us into the lead and the crowd went ecstatic. However, our celebrations were to be short lived as Sebastian Squillaci leveled for Sevilla and provided them a glimmer of hope for qualification. I set our tactics to 'Attacking' once they had leveled and this proved to be key. Firstly, Kiko Fermenia managed to break the deadlock with a nice finish on the 30th minute, before our lead was increased by Jonathen Cristaldo and we went into the break 3-1 up and I was delighted.

I declared myself pleased to the lads as I thought that this was the best instruction. We pretty much started where we left off but this time the team from Seville also stepped up their game and the 2nd half was a much tighter encounter. On the 82nd minute Alvaro Negredo clawed back a goal to lessen the deficit. And, surprise, surprise in the 2nd minute of stoppages Negredo gets his second to level the game with the last kick of the game.

We lost our last group game vs Juve 1-0 in a match they dominated in all honesty.

Juve 1st - 15 points

Levski 2nd - 10 points

Sevilla 3rd - 7 points

Red Star 4th - 3 points

Which led to us being drawn with Man United in the 1st Knockout Phase of the Champions League.

Season Summary 2010/2011

Trophies Won: Bulgarian "A" Group, Bulgarian Cup and Bulgarian Super Cup.

Performance in Europe: Finished 2nd in CL Group E behind Juve but got knocked out by Man Utd 3-0 on aggregate in the 1st Knockout Round.

Positives of the season: Delighted that we went undefeated in the league and our performance in Europe was also pleasing - the players' performances were superb throughout the season, which lead to 21 wins out of 21 in the league at one point.

Negatives of the season: If I were to be picky I guess it would be our points in the league as we achieved 80 points (Like last season) despite being undefeated. Samet Kostov's injured was also a bad point but Cristaldo covered sufficiently and managed to score a few as well.

League Table

123qkaw.png

Transfers

96ge4y.png

Fixtures and Results

http://tinypic.com/r/10dgqqc/5 and http://tinypic.com/r/10fbyao/5

Players and Performances : -

Sqaud

v8fnnt.png

Sergiy Parshivlyuk DR/WBR/MR - This lad has been my best signing by far. Incredibly solid at RB and contained the best wingers in Europe in the CL which led to him being included in the European Best XI. I will be looking to make his move permanent in Sofia.

Nikolay Minchev AML/AMC - He has been immense this season on the left wing and has been piling in with the goals from the left and has also got 7 assists this season. Due to his awesome season he has attracted the interest from teams all over Europe but they will need to be prepared to splash the cash to lure him away from the Gerogi Asparuhov.

Gerogi Sarmov DMC/AMR/AMC - Another incredibly good season from the young central midfielder. This season he has been deployed in a more defensive role and has been outstanding but has also contributed to the scoring with a few screamers. Won Midfielder of the Year to top off his season.

Illyan Minchev DC and Yordan Miliev DC - This centre back pairing has been terrific this season and it is shown as they have only conceded 13 goals in the league which was the lowest in the leage and I think that they might have conceded 25 goals in all competitions. Both are young and I can see them being the heart of the Levski defense for years to come. Minchev was runner up in Young Player of the Year. Miliev didnt get booked all season which speaks for itself really

Samet Kostov ST - The talisman of the team and at such a young age, brilliant debut season for the young lad. Top scorer and voted Players' Player of the Year along with Fans' Player of the Year. He could've had a better season but a 2 month injury hampered what was a awesome season and some of his stats have dropped due to the lack of training that I have scheduled so that he can return to full fitness. Next season we will be looking to improve these stats but i'm sure he can improve in no time.

Kiko Femenia DR/WBR/AMR - Bought initially as a RB but he has been instumental on the right wing and has provided with bucketloads of assists. Top lad and at the top of his game in the current moment.

Top Scorer - Samet Kostov 24 goals in 35 apps

Most Assists - Kiko Femenia 16 assists in 44 apps

Best Performer - Samet Kostov with an avg rating of 7.54 in 35 apps and Kiko Femenia avg rating of 7.53 in 44 apps

• 2 weeks later...

Roll of Honor

Champions League

Inter Milan 2009/10

Manchester United 2010/11

Europa League

Hamburg SV 2009/10

Chelsea FC 2010/11

Euro Super Cup

Hamburg SV 2009/10

English Premier League

1st: Manchester City 2009/10 , Manchester United 2010/11