Aston Villa FC - a Journalist's point of view.

Brian of Nazareth

Tuesday 26th – The Guardian

The John Spencer Interview

Once again readers I welcome you to the spot where I interview someone from the world of sport. This week we return to football and Aston Villa again, the midland club struggling to some degree since their golden honeymoon period. We should not forget the amount of injuries that have affected the club in recent weeks but this is a crisis that every club will face. However despite such a run of results there is cause for optimism at Villa Park, however. For the club is run under new stewardship and has been since Howard Hodgson took over.

He is a man who has Claret and Blue searing through his every vein, and the appointment of fan-manager Rod Davies, has so far proved far to be successful, and as I wait in the Marlborough Arms off Tottenham Court Road, I await the man himself, arriving from a business meeting to meet me for lunch once again. From our brief phone call to arrange this interview, I immediately get the impression he is a busy man and as such our time together will be quite brief, sadly meaning no dessert, so I’ll have to put off trying the tropical cheesecake for another day.

Then in comes the man through the swivel doors, all smartly dressed as I was expecting, in a beige designer suit with a claret and blue tie running down the middle. Odd maybe at first impression but for those who know, there’s really nothing odd about a man sharing his passion for football. Again this is highlighted as the tall beaming figure orders a bottle of Claret, purely down to the name I expect rather than anything else. As we get chatting it becomes apparent to me how much enthusiasm he does have for Aston Villa. Like many enthusiasts it all began as a child when he first went to see Villa play. His family, ardent supporters of the side, took him to the FA Cup Final in 1957 when he was a young boy. This was the setting for a lifetime of Holte End action as he told me himself.

“ Like every Villa fan I guess, the first match sets the tone – although I’m gutted we’ve only been to one FA Cup final since that time and that was a serious anti-climax. However ever since that first day, a bond was formed and it has only continued to strengthen as the years have passed.â€

Howard Hodgson, soon became a fine businessman, one who was willing to speculate to accumulate and it paid off dividends for him. This attitude is one that is certainly popular amongst fans and as such it was not hard to garner support amongst the Claret and Blue faithful. As my steak and chips arrives Howard explains how it was he came to become chairman of Aston Villa FC, via the help of some forward thinking Villa fans like Carl Chinn.

“Carl basically came to me initially asking for some support for Villa Fans Combined, an organisation of fans that were calling for the change in personnel at boardroom level. I agreed to commission a report into the way the club was being run by Doug Ellis and his fellow Executives and the findings were extraordinary. There were problems that I will not divulge here that would only embitter and anger many Villa fans even further. After that report we discussed a takeover with the board and unsurprisingly were met with short shrift so we had to use a hostile takeover to ensure that Villa did not fall further into ruin.†[/]

From then on the club seem only to have benefited and the signing of Kim Kallstrom has proved to be a worthy one indeed. His appointment did seem a little controversial but Davies showed he was capable by taking Villa to the top of table where they have since fallen away gradually in recent weeks. Outsiders may have seen it as a risk, but as mentioned in my interview with Davies in pre-season, it wasn’t a decision taken lightly.

“ Fans ,are the lifeblood of a club, everyone except a few know that and know more than most about the standards of players watching them week in week out. It was certainly no cheap option as had been suggested by areas of the press but one based on the enthusiasm of the applicants. There were big names like Louis Van Gaal and Bryan Robson applying for the vacancy but they all spoke in a monotone , bringing out the same kind of crap about making the team better etc which is all well and fine but there was no passion, except in the fans who maybe applied as a joke, who evidently loved the club and knew what they were talking about and had an idea about who was good, bad and how to handle others. In the end it was simply a choice over which fan to employ and Rod Davies, and overall I think no fan will complain based on results so far.â€

That brought me right up to where I wanted to talk in more detail with the Chairman. How did he think Davies would cope now the inevitable bad run had started. Many people and pundits were surprised at Villa’s good start to the season but now it seems the steam is running low and the manager is low on ideas. Not so according to Mr. Hodgson who is firmly of the belief that everyone must be allowed their time to settle in and get their own style going.

“ I can see results haven’t gone our way lately and maybe things will get worse before they get better but it’s only natural. Rod deserves his chance to turn this club around. I mean when he took over – a great season would be a top 6 spot and now the attitude has changed to the point where some sectors of fans might be disappointed with that. For me though it is important Rod’s allowed to build his own team together. Remember our season has already been littered with injuries so getting consistency amongst players has been next to impossible. I’m sure that by May where ever we finish everyone will be happy with the developments that have occurred. Money will be available to an extent in January but next summer there will be the cash available to secure new players. I am aware this side needs investment, even though we are 5th ,if the side is to sustain a regular top 6 spot and challenge for silverware but Rod has to be given the time to see who can do a job over time and who can’t.â€

As I chew over what has just been said, chewing on some gristly steak in fact, it is clear that Davies has the support but surely his lack of experience has to be of at least a slight concern to Howard Hodgson?

“ Nope. You forget he is ably assisted on the training ground by many experience pros who share his passion for the game and club, like Gordon Cowans for example. He works with the youth side and is a Villa man through and through. These people will guide Rod through the early years and when you look at how we’ve started I’d say it was going well. Injuries and all that affect and trouble even the most talented and experienced of coaches so I wouldn’t expect Rod to continue his fine run forever.â€

On that note, as the third glass of claret was downed, and the main course cleared, I decided to press him on his hopes for this year. Like other chairman and managers that have sat here before me, I was expecting something along the lines of a top 4 spot or Silverware, but again he surprised me.

“ A top half finish would be good enough. Clearly the fans would want Europe and fans should always hope to become a top side and I’m sure we will eventually. However for now I’m not going to put too much pressure on my coach at this stage! So you know as long as football improves, attitudes improve I’m happy. If the squad needs improving – I’ll invest when needed to.â€

With that I was happy, although there has been something nagging at me for sometime. It is something I discovered on the internet concerning his alleged links to South American drug lords. One in particular who was from Venezuela, a Gustav Cisneros, who despite his vested interests in many business’ and commercial aspects of Venezuelan life, also had a shady past. At this point though, it was sadly time for Mr. Howard Hodgson to leave for his business meeting with some foreign clients.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday 27th – Vidiprinter – Ceefax, P.318.

Boston 1-0 Chesterfield P.Duffield 5

Barnsley 1 –0 West Ham United D. Gorre 12

Barnsley 2 –0 West Ham United D. Gorre 25

Coventry 0-1 Crystal Palace Freedman 26

Coventry 1-1 Crystal Palace Bothroyd 29

Barnsley 3-0 West Ham United D. Gorre 45 (Hat trick)

Coventry 2-1 Crystal Palace McAllister 52

Coventry 2-2 Crystal Palace Freedman 61

Barnsley 3-1 West Ham United Kanoute 62

Barnsley 3-2 West Ham United Di Canio 67

Coventry 2-3 Crystal Palace Freedman 68 (Hat-trick)

Coventry 2-4 Crystal Palace Freedman 70

Barnsley 3-3 West Ham United Di Canio 76

Barnsley 3-4 West Ham United Bowyer 81

Coventry 3-4 Crystal Palace McSheffrey 87

Barnsley 3-5 West Ham United Di Canio 90 (Hat trick)

Charlton 0-1 Tottenham Iversen 95 [ET]

Charlton 1-1 Tottenham Svensson 114

Charlton 1-2 Tottenham Ferdinand 120

Full Times

Barnsley 3-5 West Ham United

Boston 1-0 Chesterfield

Charlton 1-2 Tottenham

Coventry 3-4 Crystal Palace

Friday 29th Birmingham Post

Villa Victory in Georgia

by Peter McNamara

Travelling to the unknown reaches of Eastern Europe once again, Villa played with a passion that was lacking in their last away tie at Stamford Bridge. Then they were completely outplayed by the better side, a side who have struggled this year. Last night however Villa put that performance to the back of their mind and came away with a 2 goal cushion they fully deserved.

The game had started in fine fashion for the away side as they secured an early breakthrough to quell the optimistic and fiery Georgian attack. Fortune favours the brave, so the saying goes and it certainly favoured little Alan Wright who forced his way into the penalty area before being bundled over as he prepared to hook a ball into the net.

A penalty was swiftly awarded, and the former Blackburn Rovers player picked himself up and lashed home the penalty with aplomb. That goal came in the 4th minute and boosted a side short of confidence. Now it was Torpedo Kutaisi who looked the lesser side. They may have dispatched Barcelona and Besiktas this year but as the first half wore on, it looked increasingly difficult for them to get back into the game, much to the home sides frustration.

Juan Angel struck the upright in the 34th minute, collecting an accurate Gareth Barry cross on the edge of the area and Ian Taylor nodded agonisingly wide from a Lee Hendrie corner soon after, but no further goals arrived before the break and Kutaisi were still in with a chance.

The second half saw a rejuvenated Georgian side, buoyed on by vociferous home support attack the Villa goal with venom in the opening minutes as Lomaia went terribly close on two occasions to level the score. The first arrived from a Beridze centre but his half volley was superbly tipped over by Stefan Postma, and the second came on the hour mark as he beat the offside trap, and found himself in a 1 on 1 situation with Postma. Fortunately for Villa though he fluffed his lines, perhaps all too self conscious of the great opportunity it was to score.

After that though the game turned back in Villa’s favour and an appalling tackle from Beridze on Marcus Allback in the 68th minute proved pivotal. The defended was dismissed for violent conduct and Rod Davies’ side sought to take a swift advantage of the man over. This they did just two minutes later as they exploited a Kutaisi side still struggling to adjust to their new 3 4 2 formation. Mustapha Hadji carried the ball down the right into open space before gently lifting the ball into the path of Marcus Allback. The Swede who had ample time to shoot himself, unselfishly laid the ball across to Juan Pablo Angel who swept home into an unguarded net before thanking his strike partner gleefully.

Holding a 2 goal lead proved easy as Kutaisi, deflated simply backed off and seemed to settle for a 2 goal deficit. Villa, without the suspended Kim Kallstrom eased their foot off the peddle as well now that they had secured a vital away win to take back to Villa Park. Lee Hendrie’s dipping effort with 10 minutes remaining was as close an effort as there was to any further additions to the scoreline and the referee blew time up a minute before it was technically over such was the irrelevance of allowing play to continue.

It was a big win, acknowledged by Villa’s commanding centre back Olof Mellberg after the game. “ We knew when we came here they would be a tough side to beat, you only have to look at who they overcame to get here to realise they are no pushovers so tonight was a great win for us. Once Al had put us ahead I felt we were strong enough to win it. Perhaps there were times when we were a little loose but definitely once Juan Pablo scored we were in control, so we are very happy tonight, although we must not get too complacent in the second leg.†The Swede adding that last comment as an afterthought to the evident jubilation in the away sides camp.

Full Time: Torpedo Kutaisi 0 Aston Villa 2 Wright 4, Angel 69

Postma 8, Delaney 8, Johnsen 7, Mellberg 8, Wright 8, Hadji 8, Hendrie 7, Taylor 7, Barry 7, Angel 8, Allback 7.

Post Man of the Match: Alan Wright . The little left back deserved his goal and all night he carried the ball forward, always eager to create a chance. His passing was accurate, spirit second to none and a fine penalty goal.

In other games featuring British sides, Blackburn impressively beat Partizan 3-0 away from home with goals coming from Dunn and Duff, but Leeds suffered a 2-0 home defeat by Bologna, hitting their hopes hard. Chelsea and Newcastle both secured 1-1 away results to Spartak and 1860 Munchen respectively. In other news for Villa they should be drawn in the League Cup Quarter finals today.

www.avfc.co.uk/breakingnews1754

Here is the draw in full for the League Cup Quarterfinals. It’s a tough one for us, facing a side who have already dispatched Arsneal and Liverpool in previous rounds, Millwall at the new Den.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Boston v Newcastle / Southampton

Millwall v Villa

Chelsea v Crystal Palace

Tottenham v West Ham

</pre>

This also affects our fixture away to Leeds which has now been moved to the 18th December. Usual ticket rules apply. See www.avfc.co.uk/ticketinfo for more information. Also go here to find out in more detail why the December issue of Claret and Blue has been cancelled. There will be a bi-monthly round up magazine appearing in the new Year when new publishers will have been found.

December

Monday 2nd

The Game on Monday

Opening up the last calendar month of the year there were some exciting games in the Premiership over the weekend with Manchester United sending a disconsolate Everton back to Goodison, thrashing them 5-0 with goals from Ruud van Nistelrooy, Diego Forlan and Juan Sebastian Veron. West Brom continued their surprisingly good form this year with a 1-0 victory at St. James’ Park. Liverpool were sunk by struggling Manchester City 2-0 at Anfield thanks to Robbie Fowler and Nicolas Anelka whilst West Ham hosted a six goal thriller with Blackburn. Don Hutchinson rescued the Hammers with 2 late goals. At Villa Park there was a tight match between Villa and Arsenal that ended 1 all, as did Southampton and Sunderland and Middlesbrough and Leeds. Bolton convincingly beast Charlton 3-0 to continue their impressive form.

Villa Stay 4th in Topside Battle

by Peter McGrew

Villa are a side who have hit hot and cold recently. Their form in Europe has been solid, whilst their overall league form in the past 2 months has been dodgy at best, including a 2-1 home reverse to fierce local rivals Birmingham City. On Sunday afternoon though Villa played like they did at the beginning of the season, passing the ball around well, closing down hard and generally not looking to give anything away.

The opening minutes though were dominated by a passionate Arsenal side, desperate to push their advantage near the top of the table. It was this tenacity and ferocity that led to the opening goal of the game after 12 minutes. Villa who were beginning to settle on the ball lost out in midfield and Patrick Vieira carried the ball forward towards Dennis Bergkamp who was waiting about 5 yards from the right hand touchline. Finding him in space the Dutchman rolled back the years and scored a fine goal from about 20 yards at an acute angle, after beating Mark Delaney to the ball.

From then on many in the ground would have been forgiven for thinking that Arsenal, reigning champions as they are – would go on to control the tempo of the game and secure a victory. Not so however as the home sit refused to lie down and fought fire with fire, attacking straight from the off. Juan Pablo Angel hit the upright from 12 yards a minute after Bergkamp goal and Villa had set their stall.

Now Arsenal knew they weren’t in for an easy ride, they automatically reverted to a defensive approach, hoping that maintaining their lead for as long as possible would wear their opponents down and they would be able to hit Villa on the counter. Arsenal though reckoned with Kim Kallstrom and Juan Pablo Angel.

On one such attack Villa found themselves in space down the left hand side of the area with the ball at the feet of Kim Kallstrom, where the Swedish wonder kid proceed to attack the ball with a vengeance, beating both Martin Keown and Kolo Toure to the ball before whipping in a fizzing and accurate ball into the path of Juan Pablo Angel who didn’t need a second to think about where he was putting it and the game was once again level at 1-1.

After that the game was very open, both sides looking for a leading goal, and defences were pushing high up the field, meaning that chances arrived thick and fast for a spell. Thierry Henry forced an excellent save from Peter Enckelman in the Villa goal with a shot from 17 yards following a pacy and incisive break away attack from Robert Pires and Ashley Cole down the left flank.

That though was immediately followed by a Marcus Allback effort that was agonisingly wide for Villa fans as his powerful half volley brushed the paint on the left post, following superb work by Ian Taylor and Gareth Barry to fashion the opportunity for the Swede.

As the half began to draw to a close though it was the superior skills of Pires and Ljungberg who began to dominate proceedings and for every Villa chance there was at least 3 or four Arsenal attacks. At the current rate and pace of the game Villa were not going to be able to compete successfully with their visitors, which is why following the half time interval, Villa came back out with a containment plan.

They hassled their visitors all afternoon, refusing to allow them space on the ball, and once in possession Villa made it as difficult as possible for their opponents to regain it and Keown and Vieira both went into the referees notebook for wild lunges. A Hadji 30 yard free kick that rattled the cross bar sent a warning to Mr. Wenger that his side would have no easy victory, if one at all. That prompted the introduction of Francis Jeffers for Bergkamp who since his goal had been very ineffective, and the fox in the box soon began to cause trouble with his fresh legs, and only Peter Enckelman denied him a goal after 3 minutes on the pitch with a shot from 6 yards.

Villa meanwhile began to tighten up their play and Angel was almost playing as a withdrawn forward, chasing every ball and winning a few in midfield as the home side sought to protect what they had and maybe hit their illustrious guests on the break. As it was no further goals arrived in the game and it was a point won for Villa, whilst Arsene Wenger felt it was a case of 2 points lost for his side.

“ We created a lot of chances and yes I am disappointed we only scored the one goal, but I guess you cannot win them all. The first half was even and I credit for Villa for playing so well, when their league form has not been as good recently but after the break I expected us to win it. Franny and Thierry had some good chances but we just couldn’t see them. I didn’t see Patrick’s challenge so I won’t comment on it yet, but for now we will work on how we can improve and hopefully we can get a result at Highbury against Fulham next week.â€

His counterpart was of course happy with the result. “ We’ve had some tough games recently so to come through this one with a point is good. I felt we thoroughly deserved it for all our hard work out there this afternoon. The players hustled and bustled and scored an excellent goal too, which is hopefully the attitude we can take to Millwall on Wednesday.â€

Full Time: Arsenal 1 Aston Villa 1 Bergkamp 12, Angel 25

Wednesday 4th

Daily Mail

Derby Should Be Investigated!

by Mr. O.T.Top.

Following Derby’s sacking of George Burley yesterday and consequential appointment of Terry Vegetable Venables, inside 2 hours, we at the Mail feel this is disgraceful and that something must be done!

Derby, who are struggling near the foot of Division One, sacked George Burley after one too many protests from newly formed fan movement “Derby Fans Combined†who sought to rid the board for their inept handling of the clubs finances got some form of consolation in the removal of George Burley.

However not 2 hours after the former Ipswich manager was sacked from his role at Pride Park and then Terry Venables was appointed in his place, when his seat was probably still warm by a crassly insensitive and monstrous board.

To join our wholly unbiased campaign against such poor decisions please visit www.theworldisdoomed.com. For any decision to have come so close means that this will have been planned for sometime meaning that George Burley was managing a club with which he himself had absolutely no future with. Utterly disgraceful. Boo. Hiss.

9:58 p.m.

Teletext p.416: League Cup QF Newcastle 2 Southampton 1

League Cup QF Chelsea 4 Crystal Palace 2

League Cup QF Millwall 2 Aston Villa 1

Teletext p.404

Millwall 2 Aston Villa 1

Millwall, still sitting on top of Nationwide Division One stunned yet another Premier League club as they defeated Aston Villa 2-1 in a tight game, where Villa wasted what chances they had and Millwall took theirs.

In a competition that Villa felt they had a high chance of going on to win, they will have bitterly disappointed tonight. However based on performances they received their just rewards. Millwall were in control all night against a poor Villa side and they took the lead on 12 minutes thanks to an Andy Roberts header.

After the break it was clear boss Davies had turned a few ears red in the dressing room as Angel turned in a De La Cruz centre in the 49th minute but that was as good as it got for Villa who were subsequently played off the park by Millwall, who scored late on through Kinet to seal the victory, much to Davies intense frustration.

“ We were absolutely abysmal out there tonight! I don’t know how any of the players are feeling right know but I am furious, as are a few fans. This is a competition we had a very good chance of winning but we blew it with some disgraceful defending, woeful passing and a complete lack of passion. If any of those idiots give me that kind of show again they’ll be out of here sooner than you can say “idiots.â€

Monday 9th

Daily Telegraph

FA Cup Magic – The Second Round

by Laura Adams

For those of you who have been reading from the start of this season, you will know that the Telegraph is reporting on every round of the every game of the hallowed cup, right from the very first stages. It started off all those months ago at Trafford a small side in the north who were narrowly defeated by Norfolk side Kings Lynn 3-1. From then we moved to the second qualifying round where Bromsgrove Rovers overcame Kings Lynn in an exceptionally thrilling encounter that yielded 9 goals – one of the games of the tournament possibly - a game that has not been surpassed quite yet.

People talk about local rival derby games including the Glasgow derby, the Merseyside, Manchester and London derbies amongst many, but one of the most passionate that I have had the fortune to witness came in the third round of the qualifying stage where Bromsgrove hosted local rivals Worcester City. With another step towards the FA Cup proper at stake – and hence more money the players were certainly up for it but it was Graham Allner’s side that took the spoils winning a tense and fraught penalty shoot out 9-8. That was a game that had it all – quality, hopes, ecstasy, despondency, mud, wind and rain not to mention stands packed to the maximum with fans in loud voice.

Following on from that game we saw Worcester travel to St Albans hoping to get into the first round proper. However that was where their journey ended as they went down to goals from a fireman and a truck driver. This Saturday I was off to follow St. Albans tie with Scarborough at the McCain Stadium in Scarborough. St. Albans were in for a tough ride facing opponents doing well in the conference and only recently relegated from the football league. After a scrappy first half that saw little action it was Scunthorpe through Pete Collins in the 65th minute that opened the scoring. It seemed that the more experienced side would go on to control proceedings but no. St. Albans came back with a flourish and deservedly levelled with five minutes to go through debutant Matt Holmes to send the game into a replay.

Going into that replay Scunthorpe were on a low ebb after a poor league run and St. Albans astonishingly took advantage. Matt Holmes scoring a superb brace to give the delighted fans a victory they deserved. That then put them into the second round of the FA Cup and a tough clash with Northampton. At first it seemed as though the magic would continue as Paul Martin put the flying non-leaguers ahead after 10 minutes and that was the only goal for long periods of the game in a tight match of few chances. That was until the 88th minute when Darryn Stamp broke the hearts of thousands with a late equaliser. St. Albans are by no means out of this competition but they will probably rue a great chance wasted.

Premiership Round Up

In another intriguing weekend of football, as the FA Cup gets ever closer to the "big 3rd round" the Times brings you the latest from the Premiership. Bolton continue to shock pundits and neutrals alike with their incredible season as Sam Allardyce’s men walked away from Middlesbrough with a 2-0 victory which leaves them fifth in the league, now ahead of early season pace-setters Aston Villa who are now in 6th following their 2-2 draw at Maine Road. It is Villa’s neighbours West Brom who continue to provide the biggest shock though as they moved up into Champions League contention with a 2-0 victory at home to Liverpool, courtesy of Jason Koumas and Lee Hughes. An Alan Smith hat-trick handed Leeds a 3-1 win over Newcastle, Blackburn disposed of struggling Charlton 3-0 and Manchester United overcame Birmingham City by the same scoreline with Forlan getting on the scoresheet. Sunderland then beat West Ham 2-0 and a Zola double helped Chelsea to a 3-0 win over Spurs as they recover from their surprisingly poor start to the season. Arsenal wee held 0-0 at Highbury by Fulham

Honours Even At Maine Road

by S. Pimpernel

Manchester City’s attempt to rise up the table was halted slightly by a Villa side seeking to gain some sort of momentum again after injuries and loss of form have affected their players. It was an entertaining game which on the balance of play was probably a deserved result.

The blues starter the brighter side though and almost forced a save from Peter Enckelman in the second minute when David Sommeil carried the ball forward to Joey Barton and the young midfielder on his debut spread the ball across to Nicholas Anelka who ran against a dozing defence and unleashed a shot from 20 yards that went narrowly wide. That he could have gone on further was a let off for Villa who woke up after that and chances were slim for the opening quarter hour with neither side willing to concede the early ground.

Ian Taylor and Joey Gudjonsson bossed the midfield battles for the first 20 minutes, winning all the 1 v 1 challenges, and carrying the ball from defense to offence as quickly as possible. Darius Vassell nearly benefited from one such run on 24 minutes. Ian Taylor disposed the fleet footed Sylvain Distin and moved the ball swiftly up to the feet of Joey Gudjonsson and the Icelandic midfielder pushed it out wide for Mustapha Hadji. The Moroccan swung in a deep cross for Vassell who’s instinctive 1 touch and bullet shot fizzed narrowly over. Perhaps a degree of controlled may have bore more success.

Villa may made to rue that missed opportunity two minutes later when Robbie Fowler continued his decent scoring run, going to 5 in 8 games, as he picked up a loose ball outside the area and smashed it past the helpless Finn in the goal. That boosted Kevin Keegan’s side and their confidence grew to the degree where they threw caution to the wind and attacked intensely for 5 minutes, with the away side unable to keep up with the pace of Anelka and co.

The Frenchman provided his strike partner with an excellent scoring opportunity as his pace completely outwitted Villa’s right back, Ulises de la Cruz, and the speed of the pass missed everyone except the attentive Fowler but surprisingly his volley from no more than 7 yards sailed over the bar.

It was while Manchester City were on one of their pacy attacks that Villa managed to draw level. Steve Staunton headed a Distin ball out of the area and it found Taylor, still around 20 yards inside his own area but with several options ahead of him. A quick ball found Kim Kallstrom and the Swede exploited the space left by City’s defence as Villa charged forward with it being 3 on 1. Kallstrom then totally unselfishly passed across to Marcus Allback who rounded Carlo Nash and made it 1-1.

In the same way that Fowler’s goal had motivated Manchester City, Allbacks’ gave the Claret and blue side some momentum to build on and the Villains attacked ferociously for 5 minutes as Vassell and then Hadji went close with a header and drive respectively.

However on the half time whistle it was the match swung back in City’s favour as Robbie Fowler, a traditional scourge of Aston Villa, doubled his and City’s tally with an instinctive shot reminiscent of the time when he was considered one of the greatest strikers in his Liverpool days. The ball was only half heartedly cleared by de La Cruz and Fowler, swivelled and shot with the precision that he is famous for.

That goal gave Manchester the momentum to go forth and seal the victory but after half time, Villa closed up in defence and successfully played the offside trap frustrating the City attacks for the opening quarter of an hour in the second half. Nothing could get past the Villa back line.

Around the middle of the second half Villa suffered a bizarre and exceptionally unfortunate injury problem as Ulises de la Cruz, Kim Kallstrom and Marcus Allback all picked up knocks that forced them onto the sidelines for the rest of the half. After the game Davies revealed neither was a serious blow and 7-10 days was the maximum period of rest each player would need.

That though did not detract from Villa’s attempts to get back into the game. And if anything it spawned a renewed effort to break down a stubborn City back line. First Darius Vassell and secondly Ian Taylor rattled the woodwork with a sizzling drive and close range header before the game was finally tied up at 2-2 in the 76th minute.

Juan Pablo Angel, source of Villa’s goals in recent matches added to his tally again not too long after coming on as a sub for Marcus Allback. His introduction offered the club something different going forward and Hadji’s vision picked out Vassell on the right side of the penalty box. The instant pass to Angel caught City defenders napping and the Columbian waltzed through to slot home a deserved equaliser.

The rest of the half was an even affair. At 2-2 the game was finely poised and with neither side wishing to give away too much at the late stage of the game. For once a Keegan side adopted a defensive attitude in an attempt to keep their share of the spoils. It ended all square, a result which neither manager can complain about and which both will probably take some degree of satisfaction from.

Full Time: Manchester 2 Aston Villa 2 Fowler 26, 45, Allback 35, Angel 76

Enckelman 7, Cruz 6, Johnsen 8, Staunton 7, Wright 6, Hadji 8, Taylor 9*, Kallstrom 8 (Davis 6), Vassell 7, Allback 8 ( Angel 7).

Tuesday 10th

www.avfc.co.uk can report that Villa have been drawn for the second time in cup competitions this year against Burnley. This time round it will be at Turf Moor.

Full Draw:

Birmingham City v Oldham Athletic

West Ham United v Leicester City

Ipswich Town v Colwyn Bay

Blackpool v Barrow

Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic

Portsmouth v Sheffield United

Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Wimbledon

Bradford City v Chesterfield Town

Crystal Palace v Halifax Town

Reading v Newcastle United

Darlington v Walsall

Bolton Wanderers v Carlisle/Exeter City

Stoke City v Kingstonian/Cardiff City

Fulham v Leeds United

Nottingham Forest v Manchester United

Bury v Kidderminster Harriers

St.Albans / Northampton Town v Chelsea

Cheltenham Town v Southampton

Norwich v Watford

Gillingham v Middlesbrough

Bristol Rovers v Everton

Arsenal v Doncaster

Crewe Alexandra v Liverpool

Preston North End v Coventry City

Millwall v Blackburn Rovers

Burnley v Aston Villa

Rotherham v Derby County

Swindon Town v Hull City

Sunderland v Luton Town

Brighton & Hove Albion v West Bromwich Albion

Grimsby Town v Manchester City

</pre>

Friday 13th Birmingham Post

4th Round Beckons for Villa

by P.McParland

Villa secured their passage through to the 4th round of UEFA’s second Cup competition with what seems to be on paper a convincing 3-1 victory to total a 5-1 aggregate score. However for long periods of this game the home side spluttered and chugged along slowly, unable to get out of second gear.

Maybe going into the tie already 2-0 up wasn’t so good after all. The early signs showed complacency of a horrific level for a first class Premiership side and they were duly punished in the 21st minute as Akhalkatsi struck a penalty home for Kutaisi after Steve Staunton hand balled in the area. At this point the Georgians were now only 1 goal behind from squaring the tie and no Villa player could have complained if they had, such was the apathy shown by their performance for the next 20 minutes.

On the touchline, Rod Davies and John Deehan were hopping about trying to inject some sense of urgency into Villa’s play but the best spell they had was in the last 2-3 minutes of the first half as Kutaisi began ever so slightly to tire. Lee Hendrie’s quick free kick almost took their goal keeper by surprise but it just floated over the cross bar.

After the half time interval it was quite evident a few words had passed effectively between coaches and players as Villa returned to better form. “ In the dressing room I was furious with some of those boys there in the first half. We were a goal to nothing down and deservedly so. In fact with some more luck in front of goal I would not have been able to complain if we were 2 or even 3 goals down. We lacked cohesion, commitment and were all over the place. Kutaisi are a very good side, their record this year proves that so there were some strong words bandied round that room at half time and thankfully they responded in the second half.â€

They did indeed respond in the second half with 3 goals, albeit 2 of them did arrive from the penalty spot. Kutaisi began as strong as they were in the first half but this time they came up against an organised resistance who fought hard for the ball and passed the ball effectively into space, opening up the field bringing Mustapha Hadji and Gareth Barry into play more often.

On one attack in the 64th minute the equaliser on the night arrived from Marcus Allback. Ian Taylor fought and won yet another midfield battle before releasing Barry down the left. The England wannabe centred a perfect cross for Dion Dublin on the far side whose cushioned header gave Allback the simplest of finishes. It was now 1-1 and 3-1 and the fans were able to relax a smidgen.

With the pressure intensifying on the Kutaisi goal, it was no surprise another goal arrived that night, although it did come from the spot as Dion Dublin was tripped in the box. Little Alan Wright stepped up to take it and he did not miss, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Then, with 5 minutes of the game remaining the tie was done and dusted as another Alan Wright penalty, again won by the hard working, hustling Dion Dublin settled matters. Alan Wright now has 4 goals from 5 games in European competition a record that most forwards would be proud of!

It had not been an easy game tonight for Villa and they will have surely learnt plenty of lessons from what was a potential disaster but they can put their European thoughts behind them for now and concentrate on climbing the league again as the European competition takes a break until February where Blackburn and Chelsea could be potential opponents in today’s draw. Newcastle and Leeds both made early exits however.

Full Time: Aston Villa 3 Kutaisi 1 Akhalkatsi 21 pen, Dublin 64, Wright pen 74, pen 85

Enckelman 7, Cruz 6, Staunton 6, Mellberg 8, Wright 8, Hadji 8, Taylor 9, Hendrie 7, Barry 8, Dublin 9*, Allback 7

Post Man of the Match – Dion Dublin - a terrific front man display from a man who has not featured as regularly as he would have liked this year. Ever the professional his attitude throughout but especially in the second half was first rate. Involved in all 3 of Villa’s goals tonight – his presence is still worth volumes to Villa.

www.avfc.co.uk

Some bad news to report first in that Darius Vassell, Ian Taylor and Alan Wright have all picked up serious injuries of one form or another and will be out for a few weeks. Darius, fractured his ribs after receiving a high boot fromPeter Crouch in training which sidelines him for 2 weeks whilst Ian Taylor also suffered a slightly worse form of the injury keeping him away from the side for 3 weeks. Alan Wright twisted his knee and Jim Walker, the physio reckons it will need 2 weeks of complete rest followed by a weeks light training before he’s available for selection again.

Now onto the Fourth Round Draw of the UEFA Cup and it’s an all English affair for us this year as we face a tricky two legged tied with Blackburn Rovers. The first leg is at Ewood Park. Fixture wise this should only affect our home game with West Ham United which has been pushed forward to Sunday 23rd February. Usual conditions apply.

Full Draw

Blackburn v Aston Villa

Betis v Ajax

Paris Saint Germain v Chelsea

Celta v Porto

Belasica GC v Bologna

Lazio v Newcastle

Parma v Roma

Galatasary v Sparta Prague

</pre>

Glad you're continuing to enjoy this Bjorn and thanks icon_smile.gif

--

Monday 16th The Guardian

Clarets take Spoils in Birmingham Derby

by Brian Cohen

In a game that one never expected to be dubbed a top 6 clash it was the home side who narrowly took the spoils in this one, although Gary Megson will feel his side had done enough to warrant at least a point. Both teams have made impressive starts to the year, none more so than West Bromwich Albion’s who’s team work and high sense of work ethic has carried them into the top 5 this year to everyone’s astonishment. The fact they are still there or thereabouts as we approach Christmas time is a testament to Gary Megson’s credentials.

An erratic Villa playing against a solid, defensively based West Brom was never a game that would set the pulses racing or one particularly worth of a TV screening but Sky showed it all the same. This was more of the type you’d expect from a local derby – one that had in fact not been played in top flight football for 17 years. The last meeting between these two sides came in an FA Cup 4th round clash in 1997 when Villa, thanks to a rare good day from Stan Collymore came away from the Hawthorns with a 4-1 victory.

For twenty minutes this afternoon after kick off the feeling you sensed from these players was that a 2.00 p.m. kick off time was far too soon after lunch to be playing. The pace was slow, counter attacks rendered useless and runs were scarce. Then as food became less of a burden digesting itself, the players woke up, waking up an evidently unimpressed crowd too.

Jason Roberts control of the ball whilst running was a sight to behold as he began to stretch Mark Delaney one way and then the other before sending some dangerous balls into the area. Fortunately for Villa, West Brom were relying on the striking finesse of Danny Dichio as their goal getter.

At the other end Juan Pablo Angel was causing problems for the Albion defence and it was only timely interventions on two occasions by Darren Moore that prevented the fleet footed Columbian from opening the scoring.

This to-ing and fro-ing continued for the rest of the half, Roberts providing the away sides threat and Angel doing the same for Villa. If only either side could get a shot in at goal.

After the break though the game livened up further. It was still a tightly fought game that centred mostly on who won the key midfield scraps but legs were wearing down and space was created on both flanks at both ends. Megson seemed to have encouraged a negative impasse approach where his side should focus on blocking the Villains at every opportunity before slowly moving their way forward, whilst Davies attempted to exploit the legs by knocking the ball long therefore bypassing the midfield battle.

Both strategies held firm for a good 15 minutes before the solitary goal of the game arrived a little after the hour mark. Daniele Dichio attempted an effort from 45 yards out which unsurprisingly was easily blocked by Olof Mellberg. The Swede pumped another long ball over the midfield where his compatriot Marcus Allback used his physical presence to win the ball and with his back to goal played a deft back heel for Kim Kallstrom to run out. In an all Swedish movement thus far Juan Pablo Angel became the odd one out as the Columbian nodded home from Kallstrom’s cross, which had beaten even the towering Darren Moore for height.

When you have a game as tight as this one goals are precious commodities and Villa certainly showed they had no intention of giving this one away cheaply. A return to the long ball stratagem, combined with Joey Gudjonsson and Ian Taylor going into overdrive in midfield and West Brom were struggling to find openings. If they dallied on the ball they soon lost possession and if the ball was hit long looking for runs it was cut out 95% of the time by a much more confident home side.

The contrasting styles were working to Villa’s advantage, as they had intended and as a result Gary Megson tried to shuffle things up by bringing on Lee Hughes to add some physical presence to the front line. For a brief period Villa felt slightly ruffled and had Lee Hughes not lost his footing in the 78th minute an equaliser might have beckoned for the Albion.

As it was Villa soon regained possession and settled the match down. In the final stages Kim Kallstrom’s 28-30 yard drive fizzed a foot past the upright in a rare attacking opportunity but that was as close as the game came to a goal and the final whistle arrived moments later to a cheer from the quite bored home crowd. However a win is a win and Villa are in no position to complain given their erratic form of late.

Their manager afterwards admitted it had been no pretty spectacle. “ Well I know this was a televised game and all that but we played the game we had to in order to win the game and pick up 3 points, not a game primarily for entertainments sake. When you play gritty sides like Albion, who are also local rivals this is the type of game you have to expect. I was happy with how we performed and we coped well with their threat and it was us who tired them down and thankfully Juan Pablo popped with another important goal for us.â€

Full Time: Aston Villa 1 West Bromwich Albion 0 Angel

Postma 7, Delaney 7, Johnsen 8, Mellberg 8, Barry 8, Hadji 7, Hendrie 8, Gudjonsson 6. Kallstrom 8, Angel 8, Allback 8.

Tuesday 17th Daily Mail

Arrogant Alpay Demands Move

by A. Bigot

The Turkish defender Ozalan Alpay who ply’s his trade with Premiership Club Aston Villa has sought a permanent transfer away from the club which helped mould him into a world class centre half who helped Turkey finish 3rd in the World Cup finals.

Now the selfish outspoken Turk, who inflamed fans with his barbaric comments over Anglo-Turk relations, has told his manipulative money grabbing agent to secure a transfer in January away from the club. He is currently playing in Spain, on a 6 month loan contract that ends next month with Espanol.

Although he has performed well in Spain, in the period when he has not been injured, a player of his calibre should not be mouthing off in the manner he has. Players need to learn a code of conduct before shooting their mouths off to irresponsible tabloid journalists.

Already clubs who might be interested in the 30 year old Turk include, Blackburn Rovers, Graeme Souness has never denied his interest in him, Paris Saint Germain, Sevilla, Leverkeusen, Fenerbache and Mallorca. Spanish paper Marca were hyper critical of the centre backs recent performance for Espanol against Barcelona. If Alpay leaves Rod Davies will be looking for replacement defenders in the mean time.

Snapshots

Patrick Kluiverts long standing admiration of Sir Bobby Robson is said to be a key factor in his probable decision to move to Newcastle when the January window re-opens.

Manchester United will sign Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Andrei Shevchenko in the mid season transfer break according to our man in the know. The Shevchenko deal is said to be worth around £18 million in all as it’s a £ 19 million cash plus David May and Diego Forlan bid.

Peter Crouch , the lanky Aston Villa forward is said to be fed of rotting in the reserves as he feels he is ready to handle first team football. However with better strikers ahead of him it’s unlikely he’ll succeed.

Thursday 19th – The Independent

He’s So Kewell

by Bjorn Noppe

Leeds United recorded a much needed home victory against Aston Villa last night with Harry Kewell their Australian winger the difference in a 2-1 win. The Elland Road faithful have not enjoyed quite what they may have expected this season as the Yorkshire side lie in an unfamiliar 14th spot, languishing in mediocrity that has not been seen here for a few years.

It was Harry Kewell’s surging runs that troubled their opponents greatly and the first of these runs helped create the opening goal on 5 minutes for Alan Smith. Collecting a pass from Ian Harte, the Australian utilised his pace to maximum capacity as he tore away down the left side of midfield past the flaying boots of Joey Gudjonsson and Mark Delaney. Cutting inside, Kewell laid off for Viduka to blast the ball towards the goal before Alan Smith took advantage of Postma’s inability to hold the ball.

However whilst the Leeds of old may well have gone to ensure this became a comfortable victory, this Paul Appleton side failed to take a grip as Villa were allowed to come back into the game. It had been an open exchange of shooting opportunities for both sides, before Marcus Allback’s intensity pressurised Gary Kelly into an appalling back pass which was never going to make it back to Robinson as Allback stole in to level the scores up. At 1-1 and confidence amongst the Leeds side was frail.

Yet, their opponents have not been playing consistently well either making this Leeds performance look quite lethargic. A minute after Allback’s goal and Leeds were thanking their lucky stars it wasn’t 2-1 to Villa as Marcus Allback, missed one of the easiest chances you could possibly have, as Kim Kallstrom did all the hardwork to give his fellow Swede a chance to scored from 3 yards out as Robinson was floored. Miss he most certainly did though and Leeds, appreciative that they now had to work for their win upped the tempo.

5 minutes later and they were almost giving the Elland Road crowd a goal to cheer about as the tireless Kewell began a Leeds counter attack. As Mustapha Hadji dallied on the ball, wondering who to pass to, Kewell stole the ball from his feet and commenced his customary dart towards goal. As the Villa defence hurried to get back into position, Kewell caught them out by playing the ball early across to Mark Viduka and the prolific marksman fired an instant 30 yard effort against the crossbar. If that had gone in it would surely have been a contender for goal of the season.

That effort proved to be one of the final chances in that half as the last fifteen minutes soon descended into a battle in the midfield. No-one was willing to give the ball away cheaply as Paul Durkin was soon called into action more often in a frustrating stop start period of play. Gareth Barry and Lee Hendrie both picked up cautions for the away side whilst David Batty was a recipient for the Whites.

After the break this aggressive play continued. Steve Staunton had come on for Lee Hendrie, who was dangerously close to picking up a second yellow which obviously wasn’t going to help Villa. What also didn’t help Villa was a lack of attention meted out at the beginning of the second half. After the initial scrap fest of the first 5 minutes, Harry Kewell finally found space on the left hand side of the halfway line.

Choosing to run at the defence he swiftly overcame the timid challenges proffered by Delaney and Ronny Johnsen as he closed down on Stefan Postma’s inviting net. A neat step over in the box helped create a shooting opportunity that the superb forward dispatched with frightening accuracy into the corner to the delight of the fans. Harry is certainly the key player in this Leeds side.

Leeds soon took command for the succeeding 10 minutes as both Alan Smith and Mark Viduka had fine chances to give Leeds some leeway but Stefan Postma was equal to the efforts, tipping over the Australians and parrying Smith’s effort wide. However those chances were almost rued just before the hour mark when the away side came inches from squaring up the match.

Steve Staunton, adjusting to his midfield role, squared the ball out wide to Kim Kallstrom on the right. The Swedish youngster held up the ball whilst his team mates caused havoc amongst the Leeds defence and when the ball was finally sent in Marcus Allback escaped his marker to thunder a well-timed half volley towards the goal where it hit the cross bar and bounce to safety. It was a well-worked move that deserved a little more luck but Leeds survived.

Following on from that Leeds tightened up, eager to maintain their slender advantage as the away side fought in vain to create worthwhile opportunities. The introduction of Stefan Moore and Ulises de la Cruz added fresh legs and pace but neither could breakdown a steadfast Leeds defence, marshalled superbly well by Dominic Matteo.

With 5 minutes remaining though and the ball was in the back of the Leeds net, as young Stefan Moore appeared to have made a remarkable impact on the game. De La Cruz’ pacy run caught Ian Harte sleeping and the Ecuadorian sent in an enticing cross for Stefan Moore to head home. It seemed a valid goal but the referee called play back for an infringement on Paul Robinson, a harsh call possibly but once again Villa were left rueing their luck. However, despite this Davies seemed reasonably pleased with his sides effort.

“ It was disappointing to lose this evening but we have to look at the positives. We created chances and never gave up which is what I want from any Villa side that goes out onto the field. Perhaps Stefan was unlucky with a debateable decision but I’m not going to undermine the ref’s authority, as they have to make split –second decisions all the time. We should have scored before that too and Marcus was upset in the dressing room as he felt he was at fault but credit to Leeds – they persevered, and defended stoutly and I’m sure many other top sides will struggle when they come here.â€

It was an opportunity lost by Villa to overtake Arsenal in the league, but there was enough in this game for fans to remain hopeful in future games. For Leeds meanwhile it was a welcome win. Although they are still some way from re-capturing those brief moments of glory in the Champions League, there is plenty of potential in this side. Paul Appleton has faced a large degree of criticism in what is one of those ‘can’t win’ situations – like the Spurs job, but as long as he retains the likes of Kewell and Viduka, a UEFA Cup spot challenge is not beyond the Yorkshire side.

Full Time: Leeds United 2 Aston Villa 1 Smith 5, Allback 20, Kewell 46.

Postma 7, Delaney 7 (Cruz 6), Mellberg 7, Johnsen 6, Barry 8, Hadji 7, Gunjonsson 6, Hendrie 6 (Staunton 7), Kallstrom 7 (Moore 7) Angel 6, Allback 8.

Cheers rocheyuk, glad for your support icon_smile.gif

Friday 20th Daily Mail

Dawson Central to Davies’ Plans?

[ by A.Tool

The increased speculation over Michael Dawson’s future at Nottingham Forest continues once again with links being created with several potential Premiership employees. Aston Villa, whose links to Dawson have never been denied by any Villa official, re-surfaced yesterday, as it became clear Rod Davies, would be looking for a new central defender in the upcoming transfer window.

Ozolan Alpay, that Turkish miscreant currently on loan at Spanish side Espanol, has secured his much-vaunted move away from the club by securing a permanent deal to remain in Spain. However it is not with Espanol but with rivals Malaga, so much for loyal Turks right?

Unsurprisingly Alpay decide to bash the English side and some of the people connected to Villa. Losing all his friends at Villa in one quick speech Alpay heads off to join Malaga who currently 15th in the Spanish first division – and he says it’s not for the money!

“ They have no ambition, not enough money for me because they clearly cannot see how much I can add to that side and I feel I have been treated disgracefully by the club. What kind of a manager sends a central defender who was noted to be one of the best at the 2002 World Cup on loan to Spain? That’s just ignorant. With all due respect to Ronny Johnsen he’s just an injury prone past it kind of defender. However the fans were idiots too – couldn’t stop booing me for wanting 40k a week which is a perfectly reasonable request for someone of my undoubted talent. Well I’ll just laugh when Malaga next thrash Villa in European Competition.

His move will not go through until his loan deal is officially over in mid January but when it does it will net the Midlands club a little over 1.5 million pounds.

That cash should be enough to secure a ready replacement and Michael Dawson is one of the possible targets suggested, although re-calling Liam Ridgewell from his loan spell at Walsall is another possible move.

Soccer Snapshots

Mustapha Hadji will be out of competitive football for 1 month after dislocating his shoulder in training. His Moroccan teammate Hassan Kachloul is still a week away from full fitness.

With Leeds still needing to satisfy the bank manager in January, fans are getting concerned that some of their high profile players will be shed to keep the club in business. Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka are two players, who have been linked with moves to AS Roma, Juventus and Manchester United, Real Madrid and Real Betis respectively. Any move may bring in around between 8 and 12 million pounds per player.

Monday 22nd The Times

The Monday Game Supplement

There were few shocks this weekend in a round of uninspiring football as the thoughts of Christmas with the family seemed to dwindle on the mind. However there was one big local derby being held and that was on Sunday in the last ever Manchester Derby at Maine Road and the home fans were delighted to see their side beat the table topping reds by 2 goals to 1 with Robbie Fowler amongst the City goal scorers. Newcastle did stun 3rd placed Liverpool though as Sir. Bobby fights against a swarm of cold-blooded tabloid journos and unforgiving board. Don’t forget to read a delighted Frank Skinner’s review of Albion’s amazing success story this season.

12th Newcastle United 3:1 Liverpool 3rd

2nd Arsenal 1:0 Southampton 15th

20th Birmingham City 3:0 Charlton Athletic 17th

7th Bolton Wanderers 0:1 Sunderland 19th

18th Everton 0: 1 Blackburn 8th

11th Leeds United 2:2 Fulham 10th

13th Manchester City 2:1 Manchester United 1st

5th West Bromwich Albion 2:1 Tottenham 6th

16th Chelsea 3:0 West Ham United 14th

9th Middlesbrough 0:0 Aston Villa 4th

</pre>

Bore Draw as Villa held

by P. McGrew

Teeside is not the most attractive of venues in England and the dull cloudy weather only added to the discomfort and misery of all the fans that forgot to bring travel pillows with them.

This has to be one of the most non-descript games to have taken place in the history of the premier league games and it was of no surprise the fans left a full 10 minutes from the end despite the scores being level. As a cold wind blew across from the east, many in the ground must have been wondering what on earth possessed them to come out on this Saturday afternoon. The combined weekly wage of all 22 starters on that pitch is over half a million pounds incredibly.

After 10 minutes of an error strewn opening a chance did arrive though and many in the ground assumed it would be the catalyst in improving the speed and quality of the games flow. Young Steven Davis, making a rare start on the right for the injured Hadji floated a 30-yard pass into the run of Marcus Allback but the misfiring Swede miscued his first time effort and Mark Schwarzer had little trouble in collecting the ball.

After that it descended into a lacklustre affair with little incisive passing. If there was a move involving more than 3 passes in a row then I have forgotten it. On half an hour Juan Pablo Angel was one on one with Schwarzer but he fell over his own laces and the fans became irritable having been awoken from their slumber.

Soon enough though the stadium emptied as half time drew near and I think I’m not too far wrong when I say the ground looked to have lost 2,000 spectators by the time the second half recommenced. With expensive drinks and cold pasties it wasn’t even an enjoyable half time.

In the second half the fans did wake up somewhat as they struggled to work out who the new sub was coming on for Kim Kallstrom. The PA seemed to completely forget to announce it but rumour has it that Oyvind Leonhardsen was making his first appearance in Villa colours since his summer move from Spurs. Davies has been looking to get rid of the aging winger for some time but now he finally gets 40 minutes to prove himself.

Amazingly the Norwegian came closest to opening the deadlock on 62 minutes as he astonishingly masterminded a successful 1-2 with Angel to give himself some time and space 14 yards out. Sadly his effort hit the side netting with the fans appearing to be suffering from some kind of post traumatic stress problem. The trauma of seeing an incisive move.

That seemed to signal a 10 minute period of low level excitement, about 5 levels up from the other 80 minutes, with 2 chances arriving, 1 at each end. First off, diminutive Brazilian Juninho struck the crossbar with a 25 yard free kick – the thud on the cross bar sending jolts down the sleeping spines of many a fan- whilst Juan Pablo Angel spooned a Leonhardsen cross 10 feet over the bar.

With that all done and dusted it was back to reality as the players continued their game of body tennis hitting it high and long down the pitch. When the PA’s booming voice announced substitutions I almost fell off my chair with surprise. Ronny Johnsen and Dion Dublin came on for Villa replacing Steve Staunton and Marcus Allback, the Swede having picked up a nasty looking shoulder injury in the process.

However they added little to the games play and mercifully Steve Bennett blew up a minute early – receiving a huge cheer from the remaining handful of fans still in the ground. The result is of no great benefit or loss to either side with Borough scrapping in mid table and Villa hanging on in the Champions League place. Both sides will have to improve though if they are to achieve anything meaningful this season and both managers conceded as such in the post match conference.

I can only apologise to all the fans who turned up this afternoon as it was certainly no spectacle I admit. I won’t even use the fact we gained a valuable away point as an excuse either – the football was poor and added to the miserable weather I can only imagine the frustration felt by the fans this afternoon.†said Rod Davies, who also revealed that Marcus Allback would be out of action for 4 weeks, whilst Steve McClaren was just as apologetic.

“ An awful game, in awful weather made for a truly awful day. I’m sure the fans are very unhappy with the performance out there today and I can’t blame them. We had a good chance to pick up 3 home points but we wasted it. Rest assured though the side to face Fulham on Boxing Day will be wholly different to that one both in personnel and spirit.â€

Full Time: Middlesbrough 0 Aston Villa 0

Postma 6, Delaney 6 Mellberg 7, Staunton 6 (Johnsen 6) , Barry 7, Davis 7 Gunjonsson 6, Hendrie 6 Kallstrom 7(Leonhardsen 7), Angel 6, Allback 6 (Dublin 6).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

The Shevchenko deal is said to be worth around £18 million in all as it’s a £ 19 million cash plus David May and Diego Forlan bid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KUTGW Brian, this really is brilliant stuff. G'wan the Villa boys! Good riddance Alfie icon_mad.gif

• 1 month later...

Cheers nerf - thought someone might pick up on that- and just wait to see who we replaced him with in January icon_wink.gif Anyway - about time this got back on track icon_smile.gif

Friday 27th The Guardian

Boxing Day Round Up

Yesterday was clearly a day for Manchester United fans as they extended their lead at the top of the Premiership following a 1-0 victory over West Brom at Old Trafford courtesy of Roy Keane. They were aided by Liverpool’s home defeat to Bolton Wanderers as Sam Allardyce’s men move into sixth spot in the league. Arsenal slipped up away to West Ham United whilst a last minute strike by Alan Shearer ruined Villa’s chances of gaining some ground on the leaders. Charlton pulled away from the mire following their 4-2 victory against Chelsea, with Kevin Lisibie firing in a rare hat-trick, whilst Sunderland and Everton battled away at the bottom in a 1-1 draw. Fulham, Southampton and Tottenham all enjoyed home wins.

17th Charlton 4:2 Chelsea 16th

8th Fulham 3:2 Middlesbrough 10th

3rd Liverpool 0:1 Bolton 6th

1st Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion 7th

14th Southampton 3:0 Manchester City 15th

19th Sunderland 1:1 Everton 18th

5th Tottenham 3:0 Leeds United 13th

11th West Ham United 2:1 Arsenal 2nd

</pre>

Late Shearer Strike Denies Villa

by Phillip Rolfe

In a space of 5 short seconds 38,000 Villa fans emotions changed from satisfaction to immense disappointment as Alan Shearer headed home from a Gary Speed cross to cancel out Lee Hendrie's superb first half effort to give the Geordie boys a share of the points, something that on the balance of play they perhaps deserved.

The home side who were missing Marcus Allback and Steve Staunton, whilst welcoming back Hassan Kachloul, Darius Vassell and Thomas Hitzlesperger, lost Kim Kallstrom to injury after colliding badly with Andy O’Brien in the 6th minute. Kachloul came on as a replacement but it was clear the Moroccan was still suffering a few effects from his injury.

Newcastle are a side in bizarre form. Seemingly struggling for parts of the season Sir Bobby Robson may well have finally found out how to gel his side together. Their recent form, encapsulated in the stunning 3-1 victory against title chasing Liverpool last week was indicative of this improvement.

Inside 10 minutes Craig Bellamy was sent clear by Kieron Dyer but his bursting pace was also too much for the linesman who called offside, but a moment later Bellamy broke free, the flag stayed down and it was Wales v Holland in the one on one. Villa fans breathed a sigh of relief when the imposing Dutchman flew himself across to his right to firmly parry the ball away from danger. Another missed chance for Newcastle though and in games like these it is something you can ill afford to do.

With a little under 20 minutes played and it was side in Claret and Blue that were celebrating as a through ball from Alan Wright found Lee Hendrie with space a yard or two inside his own half. Catching Newcastle on the counter the one time England midfielder made a darting run towards goal, drawing gasps of astonishment as he evaded challenge after challenge before chip-curling a superb effort from 25 yards over the head of Shay Given. A fantastic solo effort that will make managers sit up and take notice of the revitalized midfielder.

From that point on it would be easy to assume Villa would go on and at last control possession with the goal advantage but it was Newcastle who hit back first, almost leveling through the terrier like Craig Bellamy, who went very close to opening their own account for the match earlier on, missed a sitter from 6 yards out after being set up a treat by Hugo Viana with the Villa defense at sixes and sevens.

That proved to be the closest goalmouth threat in the remainder of the second half but nails were still being bitten as the game moved at a fast pace with quick smooth football flowing like champagne. At half time Davies would clearly have been the more satisfied of the managers but it was no clear-cut game.

Unsurprisingly Newcastle started the stronger in the second half, eager to level up matter as soon as possible and Craig Bellamy wasted yet another opportune moment to score in the 53rd minute as he headed over from 2 yards out. Viana’s weighted ball landed perfectly for the Welshman but he managed to completely miss the target – to the jeers of many a Holte Ender.

Just past the hour mark and the Villa defence were split open again, this time by the pace of substitute Shola Ameobi, and the England U21 attacker seemed to have set up the equalsiing goal but inexplicably Alan Shearer, whose goal scoring records are amongst the more impressive, managed to miss the target with a bullet header.

Feeling quite plucky Villa picked up their own game, perhaps banking on the ineptness of the Newcastle’s striking ability, and attacked with a renewed vigour, aided by the introduction of Ulises de la Cruz and Stefan Moore for Thomas Hitzlesperger and Darius Vassell. The young sub striker almost made an immediate impact, collecting a through ball from Hassan Kachloul and despite wonderfully taking the ball past Titus Bramble, the finish was weak and Villa continued to hold on to their lead.

Going into the final few minutes it seemed the home sides’ defense would hold up long enough to secure a valuable 3 points pushing them towards the top as Arsenal and Liverpool suffered surprising defeats. With 2 minutes to go and it was so close to being 2-0 as a fast counter attack led by Ulises de la Cruz caught Newcastle cold. His centre was met first time by the on rushing Stefan Moore. The young forward hit first time with astonishing power and speed, but the ball cracked the upright (quite literally) and rebounded into the legs of Gary Speed. Danger was averted.

Almost immediately, as the game entered it’s final minute, there being only 1 minute added on, the game dramatically changed tone as the Magpies grabbed a last gasp equalizer. Nobby Solano on as a substitute released Craig Bellamy down the left wing. Chased by a swarm of Claret and Blue defenders the Welshman flicked the ball past the on rushing Delaney, Mellberg and Barry ran round collected and hit a first time cross before any tired Villain could react and unfortunately for the home side the ball fell plumb for one of the most lethal finishers in the history of the English Premier League, Alan Shearer. Postma had no chance and the 3 points were squandered.

Afterwards Rod Davies was clearly upset at losing another 3 points. “It has been difficult recently for the fans and players but we’re still there fighting for every point. Today was very much a sucker punch blow but we can’t pretend it wasn’t coming. Bellamy could easily have scored on numerous occasions before then. However at least we are picking up points here and there. Going to Anfield on Saturday will be tough but I think we still have enough quality and desire to get a result. If not, the January window is only around the corner so we’ll see.â€

Full Time: Aston Villa 1 Newcastle 1 Hendrie 19, Shearer 90

Aston Villa Postma 7, Delaney 7, Mellberg 7, Barry 7, Wright 8, Hendrie 8, Hitzlesperger 7 (De La Cruz 7), Gudjonsson 6, Kallstrom 6 (Kachloul 7), Vassell 7 (Moore 7), Angel 7.

Sunday 29th

News of the World

Footy Round Up

8 sides played yesterday, their second in 2 days, and only 4 days before the New Years Day fixture on Wednesday. Liverpool moved into second following their 2-1 home win over Villa, who drop to sixth, While Bolton moved into 5th spot after picking up a home point against Everton, the Merseysider’s struggling in 18th position. That was one of three 1-1 draws on Saturday as Leeds, who hosted Manchester United in quite a vitriolic match kept their 11th spot with the Old Trafford side still atop of the pile whilst in the other draw it was 9th placed Middlesbrough who hosted a Tottenham side now up to 4th place in the league, shockingly actually on the fringes of success. After all those years of claiming to be a big-timer Glenn Hoddle seems to be actually getting the Londoners into a decent position to challenge. Amazing.

It’s the Anfield Class

By Jesse Owen

Boss Gerard Houllier can rest easier this week before they travel to Fulham to open up 2004, after his Liverpool side moved regained some title momentum with a hard fought 2-1 victory over the well organized Aston Villa.

It was not all easy going though for Liverpool as for the first 45 minutes they were certainly second best to a Villa side eager to prove they were up for Champions League contention and not simply early season surprises. Hustling and closing down Liverpool from the beginning, they gave their more illustrious opponents no time to move as they sought to re-establish themselves as runners for the title.

Early on in the game it was one-way pressure from the away side as Villa took the game to the hosts with first Lee Hendrie and then Darius Vassell went close to opening the scoring. First, after 11 minutes Hassan Kachloul’s swinging cross was headed back by Kim Kallstrom, only for Lee Hendrie to immediately volley wide. 2 minutes later and Alan Wright’s long ball was met by Darius Vassell and after a quick exchange of passes with Thomas Hitzlesperger the young forward let fly with a first shot that fizzled narrowly past the left hand upright.

Liverpool composed themselves after that initial onslaught and seemed to take the initiative as, roared on by the Kop they began demonstrating why Gerard Houllier believes they can win the title and were it not for a superb reflex save from Peter Enckelmans finger tip following Danny Murphy’s 25 yard thunderbolt free kick.

As the momentum seemed to be edging back in Liverpool’s favour it was Villa who scored first. Winning a free kick around 40 yards out on the left hand side of the field, following Didi Hamaans late tackle on Lee Hendrie, the away side formed an at first set-up, whereby 6 of the Villains Offence all lined up single file facing the goal on the edge of the area. As the ball was sent in the players scattered, causing enough confusion whilst Thomas Hitzlesperger in open space had plenty of room to fire in low past the helpless Dudek.

That goal stunned the Reds into action once more and were it not for some fine reflex goalkeeping and attentive defending both Michael Owen and Emile Heskey could have scored in the space of 5 minutes before the half time interval. As it was though with oranges being handed round, the score remained Liverpool 0 Aston Villa 1.

In the second half though fortunes were reversed as it was the Anfield side who were on top, punishing every little mistake and, thanks to the work of Steven Gerrard and Didi Hamaan, controlling the tempo of the game.

The first real opportunity for Liverpool to level arrived on 55 minutes after they blocked a Kim Kallstrom effort from 40 yards. Responding quickly, the ball was sent down the wings for substitute Patrick Berger to chase down the left wing and a succession of rapid passing found Danny Murphy in plenty of space on top of the D. A sidestep and instant shot forced an excellent save from Peter Enckelman.

However the home side was not to be denied and moments later Steven Gerrard unlocked the midlanders defence to allow Emile Heskey, barracked by many non-Liverpool fans for his lack of goals, to volley thunderously past the Finn. It was a priceless goal for the England International and for a man who thrives on confidence it was most welcome.

Thereafter the match became something of a one sided affair as Liverpool, buoyed on by their vociferous KOP support launched into an attacking frenzy. Balls were won and sent into the area, runs were made and shots unleashed from all corners of the park whilst Villa were at sixes and sevens.

In the midst of this onslaught the away side had one brief opportunity to steal a march on their hosts and regain the lead however the inexperience of Stefan Moore let them down. Introduced past the hour mark along with Joey Gudjonssen, the youngster latched onto an enticing long ball from Lee Hendrie as Villa countered quickly. However the England U21 striker did not have the composure to cope with the pressure of the 1v1 situation and his shot sailed wide.

With that effort wasted many a Villain may well have developed a sinking feeling inside as Liverpool tightened up at the back and attacked intelligently. The inevitable goal arrived with little more than 7 minutes remaining. Patrick Berger swept over a corner that found the head of Emile Heskey who’s firm headed hit the cross bar. That moment saw Villa’s defence loosen believing the threat to be averted, however seconds later and a booming half volley from Danny Murphy 20 yards ripped into the back of the net to deservedly hand Liverpool the lead.

With Villa’s spirits low, Liverpool were able to control the tempo of the game, slowing the pace right down as they recovered from their intense offensive play. It was as Gerard Houillier explained the least they deserved. “ I was wondering when that goal was going to arrive. We played very well in the second half especially, and the first half also, but we were better in the second and Emile and Danny scored two very good goals. I am very happy for Emile because I hope people will stop criticizing him – he is an excellent player who deserves to be weith England.â€

As for his counterpart the result was another disappointment, but one he felt they could recover from. “ Well it’s always a pain in the backside to lose but we simply couldn’t contain them out there. It’s that telling quality which we are striving for and perhaps we shall see that in the [transfer] window. I look to the positives and in the first 45 minutes we played some good incisive football and caused them problems at the back – it’s just a pity we were unable to maintain it for longer.â€

Liverpool 2 Aston Villa 1 Hitzlesperger 32, Heskey 59, Murphy 83

Enckelman 7, Delaney 6, Wright 7, Mellberg 7, Johnsen 6, Hendrie 7, Hitzlesperger 7, Kachloul 6 (Gudjonssen 6) Kallstrom 6, Vassell 7, Angel 6 (Moore 5).

New Years Day

www.Football365.com

The Random Ranting Column

In a new feature, columnist Bob Nicholson has 20 minutes to write non-stop on whatever issue or issues he feels like. We make no apologies for the lack of coherence this may cause. Next week is Harry Gray.

The World Loves a BÄstard

“What is it with modern footballers these days?†“Overpaid and complete dossers the lot of them!†“All this money could be used to help people – not fuel drug addictions – despicable!â€

And so we lament. Sound familiar? Just another typical pub conversation it seems but is this really behaviour only typical of the modern youthful footballer. You know the type. Flash Armani suits, Ferraris, Jags, Mercs. The works – they have it all. The Coke the Booze and the bad attitude. It’s all the fault of the way society has became in the last few years is what most people say. Yes there are the Terry’s Lampards, Bowyers Dyers and Woodgates to name but a few and last night’s much publicized and vaunted pictures of Alan Smith being helped out of a nightclub, face bloodied and bruised following a night of coke [allegedly] and alcohol fuelled violence, does not help but Christ there are some hypocrites out there.

“In our day this never happened…†Blah Blah Blah. Correct – I don’t remember George Best or Frank McAvennie wasting loads of money on drugs sex and gambling. No that was a clean age when people like Chopper Harris were respected throughout the land for their impeccable and respectable behaviour.

Of Course.

Or maybe it has something to do with the press and the desperate desire to attack those who have more money than us. Sure I’m not condoning their behaviour for a second but whoa young 20 year olds getting drunk? What is this world coming to! They may be professionals with responsibility to look after themselves but frankly that’s their own business. If they can pull that of and still perform for their club then who cares? If they don’t perform they’ll be punished. Ah I forget we live in the New –Age – where bitter journalists thrive on sensationalizing the inane for their own self indulgent delight at the detriment of the poor sods who are charged and found guilty by the gullible public before they’ve even had a chance to speak out and deny their sordid behaviour – or at least question why having a few drinks is such a big deal.

Time to take a deep breath

So why do we, the press, revel so much in highlighting their discrepancies? Could it be they earn so much more than us for doing a job we would kill for? Quite possibly. But then again who decides this – the players? The agents maybe and their manipulative minds? Surely the people who should be made accountable for this are their chairmen – who then complain about spiraling debts! You don’t have to play them 40,000 a week do you?

Anyway the convoluted point that I’m trying to make is why criticizing people for enjoying themselves? There are some really sad bÄstards out there who I don’t believe for a second would turn down the chance to earn 1 million pounds plus a year. And even if they don’t what if all their colleagues began to earn such excessive amounts of money wouldn’t they become jealous or would they claim they’d hold the moral high ground and stick to what they have. Do me a favour.

We may pontificate all we want about the excessive inequalities that prevail in the distribution of wealth in this world but in reality who of those who call for an end to capitalism and for maximum wages would be prepared to accept a pay cut themselves? Few would because – sad as it is- money talks and money makes the world go round regardless of what people may like to believe. It controls us – not the other way around. Sure I’ll send my 50 pound donation to these televised charities a couple of times a year – like most of you will I expect – but all that does is satisfy your own guilty conscience – that and the merciless attack on sports stars. Yet there seems to be no crusade amongst the tabloids such as the Mirror, Mail and Sun against the huge media barons and the corporate world in general. Come on they don’t deserve all that money either do they and they could do a hell of a lot to help the afflicted. Come on Miss Rebekka Wade – let’s see you have a go at these money wasters like a certain Mr. Rupert Murdoch for one example. Oh I see – we don’t criticize our bosses do we? We keep our papers in order with what he wants and what sells – big tits and a sensational headline of some accusatory nature – and it doesn’t have to be remotely true to be taken in by the readers.

Oh dear.

Still let’s have a bash at all footballers in general. Let’s ignore those who play at Notts County having not being paid in 6 weeks and those who willingly take pay cuts just so they can continue to perform what they love so much. Screw that – let’s target the elite and generalize all individuals into falling into this category. Makes sense to me don’t it?

The elite who work hard and reap the dividends of being a part of the entertainment industry. Is it their fault clubs offer them stupid wages and signing on fees? Hardly. How many players out there will look at a contract and think “ Nope. That’s too much money – I don’t want that.†Would you reject that kind of money? I think not. Whilst we’re still vaguely attacking the drunk footballer let’s at least consider mentioning those who set up academies to help kids prosper especially at inner-city level. Egotistical bÄstards. The likes of Quinton Fortune and the charitable work he does home in South Africa. Arrogant Overpaid BÄstard if you ask me.

Then those who set up clinics to help people with their problems like Tony Adams and Paul Merson. Rich money wasting bÄstards the lot of them. Fancy trying to help people with drug and alcohol problems. Lee Bowyer – found innocent – BÄstard. Ian Rush’s Football Academy – utter bÄstard. What delinquents these modern players are. No respect that’s what I say. England squad meeting with Mandela – what a bunch of self promotional bÄstards – how inconsiderate of them to help out. “It’s only for their own gain!†“ They’re getting paid!!†Cry out the ignorant. They’re still helping people are they not? Excuse me – I must have missed something here.

Don’t misunderstand me here – going out and taking illegal drugs / getting into fights is one thing ( which incidentally has a bloody high proportion of non-footballing people involved in too ) but appearing drunk with friends!? Heaven forbid! Speeding on a motorway? Who would do such a thing! No let’s ignore Paul Dacre’s ( Daily Mail Editor ) ticket for doing 60 in a 40 zone – “had something urgent to attend to†apparently – and the thousands of us who have done exactly the same thing – and let’s attack these individuals for being poor role models. The fact we ourselves are so hypocritical speaks volumes sadly. If only some people could take the log out of their own eye before trying to remove the speck of dust out of others.

I wish.

[This message was edited by Brian of Nazareth on 18 November 2003 at 19:38.]

cheers for the support guys. Veelousen that's so old icon_biggrin.gif

b d b - I needed a break from these forums but I'm refreshed now albeit much busier so i'll still be updating just the 2/3 times a week for now. Oh and do tell me if any of the articles are going into overkill at all. I'm trying to mix up serious reports with humour as best I can but let me know if I'm getting it wrong - cheers

BBC Radio 5 Live

Good afternoon everyone and happy New Year! I’m Mark Pougatch with you on Five Live as we bring you an afternoon full of sports. In just a moment we’ll be talking about the upcoming New Years Day fixtures where our main fixture will be at Villa Park where Aston Villa are hosting Bolton in a clash of teams fighting for European spots while on Five Live Extra you can listen to commentary from Ewood Park where Blackburn are hosting reigning champions Arsenal in what will again be a close encounter. Of course will also bring you up to date information on all teams playing this afternoon and you will bel able to have your say tonight with Jonathan Pearce on 6-0-6. We’ll take a short break now for news but will be back with team news in just a moment..

Newsreader Headlines today at 4: o’clock. US President George W. Bush further re-enforced his claims for a war in Iraq following an impassioned plea to Congress...

--------- -------

Welcome back listeners on this cool winters day. Alan Green and John Motson are your commentators for this afternoons clash at Villa Park with Jimmy Armfield our match summarizer. First though – it’s Alan!

†Thank you Mark! Yes, welcome everyone to five lives football on a freezing Winters day. Birmingham as usual continues to be unkind to me. Cold today isn’t Jimmy?

“ Oh ye can say that again Alan. I’m sure the players will be prepared for it though, they have all this hi-tech clothes now don’t they?â€

‘That’s true Jimmy. Right as the players come out to onto the field to take their positions I’ll quickly run through the – oh darn it! My apologies but I seem to have misplaced the Bolton team sheet. I will have it for you as soon as I can find it think the wind may have taken it – anyway for Villa, lining up in their traditional Claret and Blue, is Peter Enckelman between the sticks, behind a back four of Mark Delaney Olof Mellberg, Ronny Johnsen and Alan Wright. Playing in a straight 4 across the midfield from right to left are Lee Hendrie, Thomas Hitzlesperger Kim Kallstrom and Gareth Barry. The two strikers are Darius Vassell and Dion Dublin – who has come in for Juan Pablo Angel. It looks like Bolton have won the **** and they’ll be kicking off from left to right- heading towards the North Stand. Predictions and thoughts Jimmy?â€

“ Well Bolton have really surprised me this season Alan, I expected them to be seriously struggling at the bottom end of the table this season but Sam’s doing a fine job at the moment! Jay Jay Okocha has been inspirational for them so far and I’ll be interested to see how long they can keep it up. Villa are doing slightly better than expected although perhaps their recent run would indicate the bubble has burst. I imagine this will be a tight game though with Villa nicking it by a goal I think.â€

“ That’s Jimmy Armfield, match summariser today as Alan Wright collects a loose ball just outside his own penalty area, launches it long towards Dublin who jumps but fails to connect and the ball goes through to the keeper – oh whatsisname! Dammit! Where IS that team sheet? â€

“ Just interrupting you there Alan to say there’s been a goal at Craven Cottage between Fulham and Liverpool, reporting there is Ron Jones!â€

“ Yes thank you Mark and Alan, it’s been a very lively start here in London and it was no surprise at all to see a goal in the second minute and to the delight of the home crowd it’s gone to Steed Malbranque, the exciting young Frenchman striking sweetly past Jerzy Dudek from no more than 15 yards out. Good goal which should mean an entertaining match, Fulham 1 Liverpoool 0.â€

“ Thank you Ron, back here nothing’s happened yet as Bolton try to establish themselves in this game. Stig Tofting on the ball now, trying to advan – challenged hard by Hendrie on the ball, as the Englishman took both ball and man. It’ll be a free kick and maybe a word from the ref. Lee Hendrie still trying to get back into the England reckoning and so far this season he’s been ok – oh, oh, fisticuffs on the park! Come on – you’re grown men! Not a pleasant exhange by the looks of things eh Jimmy?â€

“ No. No-one likes to see this kind of behaviour and it’s mad – but it looks as though the ref will have quiet words with the two to calm them down. No point getting sent off this early – not going to help!â€

Too true Jimmy, and listeners I can tell you whilst we wait for play to be restarted here that there’s been a second goal at Craven Cottage already between Fulham and Liverpool. Commentary comes from Ron Jones:â€

“ Davis now, wins the ball in midfield with a firm crunching tackle. Spreads the ball out wide to Malbranque on the right who attacks and beats Djimi Traore on the left! He’s attacking the goal now with pace! Henchoz comes across to check him but the ball’s sent in for… SAHA! It’s 2-0 Fulham! What a blistering start from the home team here – 2-0 up inside 5 minutes! Liverpool are all over the shop!â€

“Well Gerard Houllier’s side off to a bad start there – can they recover we’ll have to wait and see! Here meanwhile, like the rest of the Premiership it remains 0-0..â€

“ Well this game’s becoming a battle out there this afternoon – no-one willing to give an inch – and feuds are developing faster than America’s relations with the rest of the World – as Thomas Hitzlesperger slides the ball forward to Lee Hendrie who – Oh word! That was an absolutely shocking tackle from Stig Tofting – absolutely shocking! He has to go – no question. Shocking! He went in feet first, studs high, missed the ball but connected firmly with Lee’s thing and midriff! Shocking! Jimmy?â€

“ He can have no excuses Alan, there really was no need for such a challenge. What’s worse was that he had little chance of even winning that challenge from where he was. That’s anger still boiling over from that earlier clash I suspect and the players are NOT happy! The ref’s got a tough job out there keeping emotions calmed- we don’t want any more blood spilled!â€

“ Indeed, and Jim Walker, the Aston Villa physio is attending to Hendrie as we speak whilst Jeff Winter, the official for todays game calls the Danish man over to hopefully send him off./ It’s not been a good week for the experienced midfielder in all- having allegedly drunk driven in midweek, and now…. a card’s coming – hopefully red …. Yes it’s red! - and now he’s been sent off today after21 minutes of play and as we reach the midway point of this half I will hand you back to Mark Pougatch in the studio to recap all the games and when you come back John Motson will be your commentator.â€

“ Thank you Alan! So action at Villa Park then as Bolton go down to 10 men but we have 9 other games to re-cap for you this afternoon. There hasn’t been all too much goal mouth action so far but one game that has had excitement is at Craven Cottage, which Ron Jones is watching.â€

“ Yes thank you Mark! It really has been a pleasure to watch so far with the football some of the most exciting that I’ve witnessed in a long while. It’s been fast and shots have been firing in on goal – but it’s all been for one side – Fulham! Jean Tigana’s side have outclassed their title chasing opponents in every department and as we reach halfway through this game they currently lead by 3 goals to nil. Sean Davis, the determined midfielder, added to early efforts from Malbranque and Saha 5 minutes ago when he fired home a 30 yard free kick past a disconsolate Dudek. Frankly the score line could easily be much worse but the fans aren’t complaining, with 2o odd minutes remaining in the first half then it’s Fulham 3 Liverpool 0!â€

“ What a game that’s turning out to be then as the Merseyside’s not looking like the side that’s sitting in 2nd position in the table – which is good news for Arsenal and Blackburn 2 sides who will be looking to capitalize on this and they are playing each other at Ewood. Commentating there on Five Live Extra is Simon Brotherton.â€

“ Yes Mark, and so far Graham Souness will be the happier of the two managers as his side a 1-0 up against Arsenal thanks to Andy Cole’s scrambled effort on 15 minutes following Damien Duff’s corner. Up till then the game had been a very open affair with both defenses allowing opportunities for attackers to get past but finishing has been wayward. There are more goals to come in this game but for now it is Blackburn who are enjoying the possession and the lead. Blackburn 1 Arsenal 0.â€

“ Thank you Simon. Elsewhere I can tell you it’s 0-0 between Sunderland and Chelsea, Everton and Birmingham, Southampton and Leeds, Tottenham and Newcastle and West Ham and West Bromwich Albion. There has though – been a goal at the Valley, where our new commentator, Phillip Rolfe is commentating.â€

“ Yes thank you Mark. At the mid way point of this intriguing affair between Charlton and Man City – 2 sides locked at the bottom end of the table – I can tell you that Alan Curbishley’s side have broken the deadlock thanks to their South African target man Shaun Bartlett. The forward, who recently retired from internationals to concentrate on his club career, beat Richard Dunne to a loose ball in the penalty area and he struck low and hard beyond Peter Schmeichels reach. The home side now seems to have the initiative having dented Manchester City’s confidence.â€

“ Thank you Phillip. Now that is the only other goal in the Premiership this afternoon as we re-join Jimmy Armfield and first John Motson.â€

Yes thank you Mark! Nothing of note has happened since Tofting’s dismissial a moment ago although Villa would appear to have a little more confidence about them now and well they should given that they are at a home and with a man advantage. They should be looking to make this count as Mark Delaney, the talented right back carries the ball across the half way line before being forced to check back inside. He passes back across Ronny Johnsen and the Norwegian looks to pump the ball forward and he finds Barry now on the left hand side. The play’s been moved quickly and Bolton are hurrying to re-align themselves as the midfielder sends in high cross for Dion Dublin in the area. He gets there and heads back to Hendrie, about 40 yards away from goal now, just off centre. This could be a chance if he sees Vassell running behind him, at last he does and sends the ball over the top – but it’s offside. Well that was a chance but it seems as though the players need to talk to each more often there to make the most of these chances.â€

“That’s right John, but they are attacking the Bolton end more often now and the crowd are sensing that as you can hear them roaring! With a full house behind Villa Bolton are going to find it very hard to break back but if they can hold on and frustrate the home side, they might just get a chance or two.â€

-----

“ Well with a little under 10 minutes to go in this first half now, Jimmy, do you think Davies will be happy the way his side have played even though they haven’t broken through yet? “

“ I think so John. They have had opportunities but Bolton have defended well. If it remains 0-0 at half time that’s no bad thing for them as they still have a whole half left to wear them down.â€

“ That’s very perceptive of you Jimmy. Anyway – perhaps this attack could be the breakthrough Villa are looking for. Kim Kallstrom breaks down left of centre with the ball at his feet. He’s evaded Kevin Nolan and Okocha now as he hurtles in on goal! Could this be it? Gareth Barry’s calling for it in the middle now as the ball goes over and BARRY! Strikes to give Villa the – oh, oh- sorry listeners it’s OFFSIDE. The linesman, Peter Melon has called play back. If Barry strayed forward then it was very careless of him and unnecessary. Did you see that Jimmy?â€

“ Yes. Yes I did. Very careless from the boy there. Barry was being played onside by Robbie Elliot at the back but even so he did not need to be that tight as Kallstrom had plenty of time and space to pick a pass. It’s a big let off for Bolton who have been struggling but maybe that’s the kind of close call that will get Sam Allardyce’s men fired up.â€

“ Indeed. And as you say that Jimmy I hear that a goal has been scored in another premiership game this afternoon –two now I hear! – but first it’s Ron Jones at Craven Cottage.â€

“ This is unbelievable stuff now! Fulham lead 2nd placed Liverpool by 4 goals to nil! Steve Legwinski getting in on the act with a half volley from 14 yards as Igor Biscan terribly miscued a clearance and it fell to the strikers feet who made no mistake! Fulham are running riot here and I wonder just how many more they are going to get this afternoon! Victory seems all but secured and 3 valuable points will mean a move up a highly congested top half. Liverpool though are in big trouble here and I would not want to be in that dressing room at half time!â€

“ Thank you Ron! Blimey what a score line that’s turning out to be, extraordinary!†Now onto Simon Brotherton at Ewood Park for those who haven’t been following on Five Live Extra, Black burn are hosting Arsenal and it seems as though the home side are in control.â€

“ That’s right Motty, Andy Cole has scored his and Blackburn’s second of the game, this one easily the pick of the two. David Dunn’s meandering run across the Arsenal midfield seemed to be halted when Ray Parlour firmly took the ball off the midfielder – but Damien Duff stole in quick to win back possession before firing a quick ball in the direction of the Arsenal penalty area. The ball found Cole, who controlled it once, defty flicked it past Cygan with his boot before firing first time past Stuart Taylor. A sublime finish and a goal that Blackburn had certainly deserved such has been their dominance in this half. With a few minutes to go before half time then it’s Blackburn 2 Arsenal 0 “

‘ Well as half time approaches here at Villa Park, it still remains 0-0 between these two sides and Bolton have been creeping back into this game a little. As the game has worn on the villa players have certainly been frustrated at not being able to break down the stubborn resistance being put up by Sam Allardyce.’

‘ That’s true John and I just wonder what the mood is going to be like in both the dressing rooms! I know who’s going to be the happier! ‘

‘ I know Jimmy. I know. Enckelman takes this goal kick now and he boots the ball long up field and yes – there we go – the half time whistle has gone here at Villa Park with the scores still remaining Aston Villa 0-Bolton Wanderers 0’

‘Thank you John, Alan and Jimmy. Half time whistle’s are blowing across the country now and we’ll begin our half time round up in the Premiership with Fulham’s explosive efforts against Liverpool. Has it finished there Ron?’

‘ Yes a couple of minutes ago actually Mark. Well this was some game I can tell you and it’s only half way through! This was a game I thought would be exciting and tense, but from start to finish I must admit to feeling somewhat shell-shocked by this Fulham performance. Tigana’s men clearly looking to make an impression at the right end of the table started as they meant to go on with early strikes from Malbranque and Saha. Once Davis added a 3rd the game was all but over. It became a question of how many Fulham would get and would Liverpool capitulate further. A Legwinski with 10 minutes remaining compounded the misery and on the stroke of half time, Craven Cottage was in raptures as Davis fired home a second goal and a fifth for the irrepressible home side ending good work from Luis Boa Morte down the left. At Half time then we wonder how this game will continue, as it’s Fulham 5 Liverpool 0’

‘ What an extraordinary game. Thank you Ron. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of games heading our way come 6’0’6 this evening. Another potentially close encounter was at Blackburn where the hosts welcomed Arsenal. Watching there is Simon Brotherton. ‘

‘ Indeed well this is another fairly one sided affair too although not quite on the same level as Fulham v Liverpool. An open 10 minutes saw chances flying around both goals but once Andy Cole broke the deadlock it was near enough one-way traffic. Supported by a vociferous crowd, Graeme Souness’ men searched in earnest for a second and they were duly rewarded not too long ago as Cole scored a goal of such mesmeric proportions it brings back memories of his Newcastle days. That goal effectively sealed the game though as Arsenal sat back defending deeply as if they were satisfied to maintain a 2-goal deficit going into the break. They will need to change their attitude dramatically if they are to gain anything from this encounter. At the interval then it’s Blackburn 2 Arsenal 0’

‘ Ok thank you Simon. Well last time we heard from Phillip, Charlton had taken the lead against Manchester City. I think there’s been some activity since then isn’t that right Phil?’

‘ Some Activity!? Two goals in the final 2 minutes of this half have effectively sealed the game as a contest as firstly Kevin Lisbie and then Shaun Bartlett beat the shoddy excuse for a Man City defence to hand victory surely to the home side! Although Kevin Keegan’s side appeared to be coming back into the contest, a breakaway attack involving Paul Konchesky and Scott Parker allowed Kevin Lisbie the chance to fire home past the ageing Dane. 2 minutes later and Lisbie turned provider setting Bartlett up on a platter and the South African could not miss from 4 yards with City’s defence quite absent from the action. Stern words I’m sure from Keegan whilst the fans at the Valley will be delighted with their side’s performance. Charlton 3 Man City 0’

‘ Thanks Phil. Another seemingly one sided contest there. Elsewhere it is still 0-0 between Southampton and Leeds, Sunderland and Chelsea, Manchester United and Middlesborough and Spurs and Newcastle. There has however been action at Upton Park between West Ham and West Brom. Reporting there is Peter Drury.â€

“ Yes Mark you’re right and there have been two late goals in this half to give the high flying Baggies a commanding lead going into the second leg. First Jason Roberts and then Darren Moore a minute later put Gary Megson’s side into a surprise lead to the anger of West Ham fans who began to call for the head of Chairman Terrence Brown with relish. After a tight first half in which Hammers fans may feel they edged, it was Roberts clinical volley from Koumas’ left wing cross that broke the deadlock, and capitalizing upon a shell shocked home side, Darren Moore rose unmarked to head home a Koumas corner and the lead was doubled. It’ll be very interesting to see how the sides respond in the second half.â€

“ Thank you Peter. Some interesting score lines already developing this afternoon, not least Fulhams, but we’ll be back after the news interval with a full half time round up of all the scores…. â€

Half Time Scores

Aston Villa 0 Bolton Wanderers 0

Blackburn 2 Arsenal 0

Charlton 3 Manchester City 0

Everton 0 Birmingham 0

Fulham 5 Liverpool 0

Manchester United 0 Middlesbrough 0

Southampton 0 Leeds 0

Sunderland 0 Chelsea 0

West Ham 0 West Brom 2

“ Ok! Welcome back listeners to this frost bitten afternoon as we return to Villa Park where Villa are hosting Bolton. Of course it was 0-0 at the break but Stig Tofting has already been sent off remember so it’s back to Jimmy Armfield, John Motson and first Alan Green.â€

“ Thank you Mark, well it doesn’t appear as though any changes have been made to either side so far as the players prepare to kick off here, Aston Villa playing from left to right now as the ball is sent back towards Mellberg in defense. With the man advantage Villa really need to press forward now – thoughts Jimmy?â€

“ Quite right Alan. Considering the talent that is in this time and with the likes of Juan Pablo Angel on the bench they have to attack. For Bolton though they need to be disciplined patient and tight. If an opportunity comes their way they have to take it as really I can’t see them having many chances this half.â€

“ And as you speak Jimmy here come Villa now attacking down the right with Lee Hendrie¸ he plays inside to Kallstrom, quickly back to Hendrie again – this is promising! He has players to aim for in the middle. The ball’s sent over now and VASSELL! Close! It was well saved by Jaaskeleinen but really he should have buried that one – an excellent chance gone begging!â€

“ Well that was a great chance, especially for a player of his calibre but I think this is going to set the tone for the rest of the half. Early pressure from Villa on the Bolton goal looks to be the pattern of play…â€

“ It looks that way Jimmy you’re right! As Vassell misses a golden opportunity though a goal has been scored at Goodison Park in the match between Everton and Birmingham. Pat Murphy is at that game.â€

“Yes Alan, the dull monotony of this game has thankfully been disrupted by the tantalizing footwork of a little known striker called Wayne Rooney. The youngster struck fiercely from 25 maybe even 30 yards after collecting a through pass from Mark Pembridge and he gave Ian Bennett in the Birmingham goal no chance whatsoever and now it’s Everton 1 Birmingham 0 and perhaps this bottom of the table clash may raise beyond the mediocre after all.â€

“ I wonder if we’ll ever have a goal in this game Jimmy. Hopefully it won’t be too long. Here come Villa again but this time the move is broken down by Kevin Nolan and the ball is launched up field where Peter Enckelman collects the ball…â€

--- ----

“ Well amazingly it’s just past the hour mark and we still have goals in this match yet there has been incessant pressure on the Bolton end and as I pass you over to John Motson it looks as though Villa are making a change.â€

“ Thank you Alan, yes that’s right it’s the Columbian Juan Pablo Angel who is coming on for Dion Dublin. The experienced pro has worked hard this afternoon but he just hasn’t been able to break the stubborn resistance and I think Davies feels the more skillful touch of Angel combined with the pace of Vassell will be able to make that telling difference. What have you made of the Brazilian Jimmy?â€

“ He’s Columbian John! Fancy you to get that one wrong. He’s had a mixed season so far. Yes he has scored goals but not quite at the consistent level that others have. However that’s not to deny the fact he has been a valuable asset to the midlands side and you call tell from the fans reaction just how much he is adored in these parts.â€

“ I cannot believe I made such a mistake! But yes you are right- he is almost worshipped it seems in these parts and perhaps that support will buoy him on to help his sides fortunes in front of goal. I think we’re going back to Mark in the studio now to find out what’s going on around the country.â€

“ Yes John. We’ll be back with you in just a while but first it’s time to re-cap what’s going on around the country. It still remains 3-0 to Charlton at home to Manchester City, and Fulham seem to have taken their foot off the gas maintaining their 5-0 lead over Liverpool at Craven Cottage and 2 games still remain goalless, involving Southampton and Leeds, and Sunderland and Chelsea. There have been goals though in the other games and we’ll start our round up at Old Trafford where Manchester United are entertaining Middlesbrough. Watching for us is Stuart Hall.â€

“ Good afternoon Mark, it’s been a surprisingly tough game today when you consider the talent on display but finally the class of the hosts is telling and just a minute ago Ruud Van Nistelrooy added to Juan Sebastian Veron’s earlier effort to probably put the match out of reach from their visitors. Following on from the tense tactical warfare between McLaran and Ferguson, it was the Master who defeated his Pupil – just like Star Wars, when heroically the swashbuckling Argentinean swept home mesmerically from the corner of the D into the roof of the net causing jubilant celebrations akin to the inhabitants of the Jedi race when Darth Vader had been defeated. Ha ha they cried! Minutes later and the Death Star had been destroyed as the Horse did what he does best – winning a penalty in front of the crowd. The ball was perilously close to missing the target - as was that missile – Return of the Jedi but the ball went in and cheers erupted through out. The battle looks to be favouring the bold, but let us not discount the adventurous travelers potential to cause unrest in the home camp. We shall how this war unfolds.â€

“ Thanks Stuart, enlightening and original as ever! On now to Blackburn where it seems the result is all but secured now. Am I right Simon Brotherton?â€

“ You are indeed as Corrado Grabbi as rubbed salt into Arsenal’s wound with a low drive that defeated the Arsenal goal keeper. Just rewards though it most certainly has been as the Blackburn front line have sent Seaman flying all over the place creating a huge mess in the Arsenal defense. Wenger will be severely troubled by this display especially given the tepid offerings of Henry and Wiltord up front. Off the pace and off the pitch as Kanu and Bergkamp attempt to regain some pride, but the result is surely unquestionable now. Blackburn 3 Arsenal 0.â€

“ Thanks Simon. Now we’ll join Pat Murphy at Goodison.â€

“Hello Mark, my word this game has livened up somewhat since Master Rooney’s early second half strike. Some might even go as far to say it’s – dare I say it – entertaining! Since Rooney’s fine finish Everton have taken control of the game- punishing a wayward and depressed Birmingham side. Only one goal mouth has seen action and I don’t think you’ll find many people in this ground complaining. A short while ago Thomas Radzinski, popped up out of nowhere to make it 2-0 after good work by Steve Watson and it’s going to be 3 very valuable points to Everton this one.â€

“ Righto Pat – thanks for that. With that we’ll say hello to Barry Davies who is watching Tottenham take on Newcastle.â€

“ Good afternoon Mark. You have missed little of note since we last spoke just before this match kicked off – so engrossing as this excuse has been. Poor mistrewn passes are more commonplace here than there are anti-war protesters in France. However the crowd has had but one reason to cheer, aside from the streaker and that was to celebrate Robbie Keane’s eloquent strike 5 minutes ago. The striker – collected a fizzing cross from Simon Davies – turned and shot on the go firing high into the roof of the net past stand in keeper Steve Harpers outstretched hand. Perhaps this goal will provoke a response of some measure from the Geordie boys but judging from the apathy offered so far – it would not appear as if it will be a pleasant journey home tonight. Spurs 1 Newcastle 0â€

“Thank you Barry. Well that concludes our premiership round up for now – we’ll have more reports as the action arrives but for now it’s back to John Motson and Jimmy Armfield at Villa Park.â€

--- ---

“ Well Jimmy, with a little over ten minutes left in this game now you have to wonder if Villa are going to make a break through at all. Credit to Bolton here!â€

“ Definitely John. Their defending has been superb through out – but they have to hold on here. With a man short for the past hour the players will certainly be getting tired so I wouldn’t say they’ve done the job just yet!â€

“ Quite right Jimmy, and here come Villa now once more on the attack, charging forward like a Bull to a red flag with Lee Hendrie now, interlinking with the ever probing Kim Kallstrom on the right hand touch line now. The ball goes back into Thomas Hitzlesperger, roughly 40 yards from goal. Oooh what a good pass that was! He’s found Barry in space tearing down the left wing! He’s in acres of space as the ball travels in… to JUAN ANGEL!!!! IT’S THERE! The flag has stayed down and Villa have scored through substitute Columbian Juan Pablo Angel who heads in to the net! The pressure has told it seems – I wonder how Bolton will react to this!â€

“ Well it has been coming for a while now – all that pressure unloaded and you can see from the players reactions how important that was for both sides. Bolton look dejected whilst Villa are Euphoric and who can blame them?â€

“ Indeed! After so much relentless pressure on the Bolton goal it would be easy to assume that it was simply not going to be the home side’s day but relief has filled the stadium here and Juan Angel has broken the deadlock! Aston Villa 1 Bolton 0!â€

“ Thanks John – we’ll be rejoining that game in just a second but we have two goals to update you on starting at Upton Park with Peter Drury. “

“ Yes Mark, with 10 minutes remaining this game has suddenly become alive again as Paulo di Canio has scored an 80th minute penalty to give the Hammers some hope! After Jason Roberts and Darren Moore’s first half goals had initially given the Baggies a half time lead but the second half has been dominated by the home team and they earned their rewards when Joe Cole was clipped by Neil Clement in the box. The defender received a yellow card for his actions and the Italian produced one of his magic moments. Deftly flicking it into the top corner –a heart stopping moment for both managers! This game is by no means over with plenty of time left!â€

“ Thanks Peter. A grandstand finish in prospect at Upton Park then and there has also been action at Ewood Park – the result now quite academic as Simon Brotherton will tell us.â€

“ Indeed Mark – although the match was really over in the first half such has Blackburn’s dominance over their London opponents. Wenger will fume and claim no doubt he didn’t see this match at all, but he cannot hide from the fact that Arsenal are slipping off the pace from Manchester United now after this comprehensive defeat to Blackburn this afternoon. There may be 10 minutes remaining but there is little chance of them coming back from a 4 goal deficit – courtesy of the supreme finishing ability of Andy Cole. The marksman headed home his hat-trick goal just 5 minutes ago following a mix up in the Arsenal defense, Pascal Cygan unable to maintain his footing and Kolo Toure facing the wrong way. Big problems for Arsenal, utter delight for Rovers, 4-0 here.â€

“ Thanks Simon. Well that’s one game that looks to be almost certainly sealed. Whilst we’ve been away folks I can tell you there has been another goal in our commentary match at Villa Park between Villa and Bolton. Commentary from John Motson…â€

“ Okocha now… with the ball carrying it forward. Bolton piling forward here as they seek to respond immediately to Angel’s goal. He’s trying to find out Djorkaef now but it’s intercepted by Barry and Villa can counter quickly here! The ball’s immediately sent forward for Kallstrom to chase and it’s 3 on 2 here! Vassell and Angel both calling for it in space --- Bolton desperately trying to get back as the Swede releases Angel! Angel now, on goal – no-one’s around – he’s got a glorious opportunity to make it 2-0!!!!!!!! It’s THERE! Smash bang into the roof of the net. Game over and 3 points to Villa. Bolton were always stretched and once they made the gamble to search for the equaliser they were always vulnerable to a quick response and Villa have done exactly that and I can’t see Big Sam’s side recovering from this!â€

“ Well as you say John it was always risky to put all your eggs in one basket and hope they’d score from that chance but once possession was given away you could sense it would be severely punished and Angel has done exactly that! A clinical finish from a man who I suggested hadn’t scored as regularly as he could have done. I think it’s 3 points safely in the bag now for Davies unless something monumentally disastrous befalls them now!â€

“ Indeed Jimmy – you’re right! Those pictures paint a thousand words – relief and delight sharply contrasting with dejection. There is still 5 or 6 minutes to go though so it’s not all over just yet.â€

5:49 pm

Well we’re into the final stages of this game now and Villa are just slowing the pace down and keeping possession. They’ve sealed the result at last so legs can be saved – Bolton still amazingly seem to have the energy to chase every last ball down though. Nolan now – wins the ball back from Hitzlesperger and sends the ball back towards Ivan Campo – OH! But it’s a terrible pass! The Spaniard wasn’t paying attention and Vassell’s free! He’s one on one with Jaaskelainen! Can he add a gloss to this and send 40,000 fans home happy…. YES! HE CAN! It’s 3-0 now and that as they say is that! Extraordinary finish to this game! Bolton have been punished now as it’s just been too much for their tired bodies to contend with. The young England striker has finally grabbed a goal that he fully deserves after the performance he’s put in today. Is this score-line fair do you think Jimmy?â€

“ Well it probably reflects the amount of pressure Bolton have been under all game and the statistics will no doubt suggest Villa could have added to the score line but away from home and playing for 70 minutes of the game is always tough and they defended so well and resolutely that suddenly conceding 3 late goals is going to feel like a kick in the teeth for Sam tonight but his players deserve credit for holding Villa as long as they did. I guess it’s a case of better luck next time.â€

“ Too true Jimmy – they certainly have battled hard and well there goes the final whistle now – greeted by a huge cheer from the crowd who’ll be going home mightly relieved – a good start to the new year for Aston Villa then as they’ve Bolton here today by three goals to nil.â€

“ Thank you Alan, John and Jimmy Armfield. We’ll return for a match summary later in the programme but for now as whistles are blown across the country we’ll catch up with all the last minute goals that are flying in changing results and positions in the league ladder, starting off with Phillip Rolfe at Charlton.â€

“ Thank you Mark well the second half was an anti climax in terms of entertainment as a game but it was no less one sided. Charlton, having already established a 3-0 half time lead they controlled the tempo of the game after the break frustrating Keegan’s side. Manchester City hustled for a long spell but after a while seemed to tire and lose interest as if they knew they stood little chance of gaining from this game. Unsurprisingly therefore the final goal of this game came Charlton’s way as Scott Parker’s 20 yard drive ensured fans left the ground on a high – a welcome lift for the struggling Valley side but another blow for the demoralized Mancunians. Charlton 4 Manchester City 0.â€

“Thanks Phillip. Well one side from Manchester will be celebrating today though as the Red Devils ensured their grip on top of the Premiership continued following their 3-0 destruction of Middlesbrough. Stuart Hall was watchingâ€

“ And the Jedi race are in raptures after this exquisite demolition of the evil storm troopers. Once Darth Vader and the Death Star had been eliminated thanks to Juan Sebastian Veron and Ruud Van Nistelrooy – it was merely a matter of tidying up the pieces and picking off the last remnants of opposition proferred by the enemy a.k.a Steve McLaran. In the final seconds of this gripping contest Quinton Fortune – an enigma of the night entered the fray and his lightening attack assisted the Horse and it was Game. Set. Match. How will both sides recover? Who knows how this will pan out? Certainly not I. Intriguing it will be.â€

“ You know it’s hard to tell he’s a Manchester City fan sometimes! Thanks Stuart for that entertaining account. With that done we have 2 games where late goals altered the result entirely but first off to Upton Park and Peter Drury where there was one final piece of goal mouth action to report on. Last we heard the Hammers were 2-1 down… what’s the score now Peter? “

“ It’s finished here 3-1 to the boing! Boing! Baggies after the pace of West Broms key players Koumas and Roberts combined in the last minute to exploit a counter attack. The home team had been desperate to get back on level terms after pummeling Russell Hoult’s goal for minutes but on one such occasion when the whole side had pushed up – it took one misdirected pass from Michael Carrick and the game was over. 3 very valuable points for Gary Megson’s side as they seek to put pressure on the front runners in the league but for the Londoners it’s going to be along season.â€

“ Thanks Peter, well with that we’re off to White Hart Lane to see if Spurs managed to hold onto their slender lead against Newcastle. Over to you Barry Davies:â€

“ Oh what a dull affair and in the end the result reflected the difference between the sides – absolute zip. Tottenham and Glenn Hoddle seemed to be heading for an undeserved victory as both sides managed to stun the crowd into a coma such has been the level of purpose and zest. Scrap after scrap the whole game through and aside from Robbie Keane’s fine strike it seemed as though the game would peter out further into ignominy. However! Newcastle, with 5 minutes remaining decided they might play some attacking football after all this afternoon and it clearly shocked the home defense who were ill –prepared for this sudden explosion of pace. Shola Ameobi on for the wayward Craig Bellamy ran and shot fiercely past Kasey Keller to square the match. Perhaps I may be bold as to suggest this is a cunning plan by Sir Bobby to lull the home side into a sense of security before actually playing in the last 5 minutes? Well it certainly worked today – Spurs 1 Newcastle 1 and I can finally get out of here.â€

“ That you can Barry! Well one ground we haven’t visited yet has been St. Mary’s where Southampton have been hosting Leeds. For much of this game it has been 0-0 but I don’t think that’s the case any more is it Gerald Sinstadt?â€

“ It’s not you’re right Mark and the 3 points have gone to… Leeds! The game was more exciting than the lack of goals might suggest with splendid defending from both sides. However in the final minute it took a stroke of genius from Australian Harry Kewell that helped set up the winner. With the ball inside the Leeds half near the left hand touchline, Kewell stopped, before flicking the ball past Chris Marsden, and bunny hopping between the challenges of Wayne Bridge and Ken Monkou before accelerating forward into the Southampton penalty area. The highly rated star’s shot was parried by Niemi but unfortunately for the Finnish shot stopper the ball fell to the feet of Alan Smith who coolly slotted in to hand the Yorkshire side the points. Leeds United are the victors here though, finishing 1-0.â€

“Thanks Gerald well that just about rounds up this afternoons action on Sport on Five, football wise. In a moment I will run through the tables and results but the phone lines are open now for 6-0-6 and Jonathan Pearce is waiting to take your call!â€

“ That’s right folks. I’m open to all your celebrations or downcast miserable calls – and remember if you can’t get through on the main line you can call our rant line! Happy new Year!â€

“ Ok then so here are the results in full:

Aston Villa 3 Bolton Wanderers 0

Blackburn 4 Arsenal 0

Charlton 4 Manchester City 0

Everton 2 Birmingham 0

Fulham 5 Liverpool 0

Manchester United 3 Middlesbrough 0

Southampton 0 Leeds 1

Sunderland 0 Chelsea 0

West Ham 1 West Bromwich Albion 3

And now moving on to the table, running through quickly:â€

Pos Team Played Points

1 Manchester United 23 46

2 Liverpool 23 37

3 Aston Villa 23 36

4 West Brom 22 35

5 Tottenham 23 35

6 Fulham 22 34

7 Arsenal 22 34

8 Bolton 22 33

9 Blackburn 21 32

10 Leeds 23 32

11 Middlesbrough 23 30

12 Newcastle 21 29

13 West Ham 22 29

14 Southampton 22 27

15 Manchester City 22 27

16 Charlton 22 26

17 Everton 23 25

18 Chelsea 22 24

19 Sunderland 22 20

20 Birmingham 21 18

</pre>

“…and that wraps that up then. A very close affair throughout the table then with only a handful of points separating the teams involved, it’s as easy to slide down as it is to climb up. The next matches to appear on five live will of course be this weekend as prepare for the FA Cup 3rd Round. Don’t miss it! Now over to you Jonathan…â€

“ Thanks Mark – well there are of course plenty of talking points today not just from the Premiership – around the whole country so let us know what you think – we’ll be back after a brief news update… â€

[This message was edited by Brian of Nazareth on 26 November 2003 at 16:45.]

The callers and the regions they come from are just what I’m imagining. I’m not intentionally stereotyping people from the areas – just mixing it up so I apologise if anyone is offended

“ Ok then listeners, here’s your chance to have your say on what really matters. With plenty of football going on this afternoon you decide the agenda. I bet there are some happy Fulham fans out there – whilst are going to hear more depressed Chelsea fans bemoaning their bad fortunes? I don’t mind – just make it short and snappy! First up Andy from London – a Fulham fan I hear? You must be happy!â€

“ Too roight mate! Wha’ a game dat was! I mean we woz all over ‘um for the whole game. I’m well pleased I am!â€

“Ok! So talk us through it then – you guys made one hell of a start didn’t you? 3 goals in 15 minutes wasn’t it?â€

“ Yeah! It was well good stuff like! See first off that French guy Malbranque banged an absolute belter into the net and like it was amazing like cos a minute later and Louis Saha has only gone and scored a second! We’re havin a wicked season and Tigana is the man – I repeat he is the man! Gotta say though Liverpool were complete sh – â€

“ Family programme people! Ok moving on – like I said earlier this is not just the Premiership or English phone in! there were plenty of big games up in Scotland – including the big derby between Hearts and Hibernian. So Euan – you were at the game today what did you make of the result? You must be upset!â€

“ Well ye know it wasnae all bad! So we lost 8-0 but worse things have happened! Hearts are still avery good team and I think we can still win the league if we work a wee bit harder like!â€

“ Blimey! You lose 8-0 and it’s not too bad?! I admire your optimism young man! But what makes you so sure you can win the league?â€

“ Well ye see Rangers and Celtic are nae as good as they think they are – indeed my good friend Stuart commented to me the other day how his Rangers side were in the middle of declining, and well Hearts are getting a bit better all the time. Craig Levein is doing a good job and I reckon I could take over from him once he’s done – but really we are a good side who are just improving all tha time. I must say well played Hibs!â€

“ Well thank you very much for your call Euan – som very rational and thoughtful comments there – and I wonder if a fellow Scotsman – Iain will agree with you? â€

“ Bah! Humbug! Optimistic at best, insane more like though. No I was just ringing up to pass on my condolences for the unfortunate death of Gordon Dalziel – an Ayr stalwart who will be sadly missed by many and I hope the man who who ran him over last night is caught and found. May Gordon rest in peace – that is all.â€

“ Of course. A sad loss to Ayr United Football Club, but they have Campbell Money at the helm for the time being. A death in football is always sad and we commiserate. Now onto happier things and Nick Hall from Birmingham is on the phone. Welcome Nick I gather you are an Aston Villa fan?â€

“ Yes! And a very happy one at that! Before I go I must credit Bolton for their stiff resistance and defending, had many of us worried for a while – but I’m delighted we’ve picked up the 3 points!â€

“ How much do you think playing against 10 men affected the style of the game?â€

“It made quite a difference really. Before then we were evenly matched – with feuds spilling out all over the place but once their bloke left we had a lift and thankfully, we eventually took advantage and you know there’s only Juan Pablo Angel! Ha ha! He scored a great brace today and it’s nice to see him playing so well this season!â€

“ Yes, from what I’ve seen he’s certainly been on form this year. What do you make of Villa’s chances this year then, it’s been a big year for you!â€

“ True – and it’s been a terrific year too! We’ve been riding high in the league, progressed in Europe too and it’s thanks to VFC! I feel proud to be sitting in the Ron Saunders stand now – it’s great!â€

“Well thanks for that and have a good evening! I’ve got an email here from a man called ‘veelhousen’ who supports Nottingham Forest and he’s commenting on their game at Millwall today. ‘What a brilliant display by the lads – great work and a special congratulations to Paul Hart who has been behind our great work. Johnson is a machine up front and his 4 goals today only goes to prove that – a complete legend and I’m sure with the assistance of Marlon Harewood – who scored 2 – we’ll be able to sustain a serious promotion challenge at last! COME ON!’, that in response to Forests impressive 7-2 victory over their opponents. Keep the texts and emails coming in – you know the number and address and we’ll read the best ones out.

“Now, back into the Premiership again and Matt is on the line. Now you’re a Manchester City fine is that right?â€

“ Yes it is sadly!â€

“ A big loss today for you going down 4-0 at Charlton! What happened? Were you at the game today?â€

“ I was too – stayed right until the end although god knows why! We had no passion, no drive and no commitment! It’s ridiculous! We have all this money available and Keegan still can’t get us motivated! He should go now before it’s too late!â€

“ What!?! You think he should go? After getting you promoted and now you’re only just above the relegation zone? It’s not that bad! The table’s exceptionally close and a couple of good results will see you shooting back up the table!â€

“ But it’s not just that! We’ve spent millions and other clubs haven’t! Look at West Brom for example – hardly any money or talent in that side yet they’re sitting pretty! We should be up there cause we got class in our side but Keegan is just not good enough! We attack fine but our defense is appalling! Sort it out Kev!â€

“ Ok, thanks Matt – although I don’t think the problems are as bad as you say they are. Next up is another angry fan – this time it’s Julian Gray who’s a West Ham fan and he also wants heads to go but not the manager. Have I got that right Julian?â€

“ Yeah pretty much! Roeder’s not great by any means but I don’t think he’s our big problem! For that we have to go the next step up and Terrence flipping Brown! The man is so incompetent! He’s holding this club back, no ambition whatsoever and frankly I’m worried as to what kind of a future we have!â€

“ It’s not that bad surely? You’re sitting in mid table well placed to move up. I hear you had a bad gamr today but is that all Brown’s fault?â€

“ Not all Jonathan but he is indirectly responsible for it! This is the man who sanctions transfers and appoints managers and runs our finances and really I don’t think he’s capable of it! We’ve been trying for ages to get him but I just wish he’d listen! I don’t think we have quite enough supports sadly though to over throw him Doug Ellis style but I really wish he could see how he’s holding us back! Look at Villa now and how well they’re doing! That’s we should be looking at! We have plenty of talent in the squad – yes Roeder should be utilizing it better – no disrespect to West Brom but we should be beating sides like them but any manager needs to know he’ll be backed properly. Brown’s not doing that and It’s time for him to go now!â€

“Ok Julian – well you never know what’s going to happen in the future – maybe a fan will create WHFC similar to Villa but we’ll move on now. Up after the interval we’ll have fans of both Charlton and Spurs on the line so don’t go away…â€

“Welcome back listeners¸ and now on the phone line we have Jeff who’s a Charlton fan. So Jeff you must be pleased!? A welcome win at the bottom now. How does that make you feel?â€

“ Well obviously I’m happy about – the win was important especially in a game like that against Manchester City but to do it in the style we did was just terrific. Shaun has come back strongly in recent games and I must say we outclassed Keggy in every department. We looked secure at the back and obviously very creative going forward scoring some cracking goals. I’m telling you this Scott Parker is one to look forward to…â€

“ Happy he’s an Addick then? I’ve seen him a few times myself and he certainly does have some potential although he can be a little petulant at times, he needs to control his mouth. So Jeff do you think Charlton will stay up this year?â€

“ Yes. I think we probably have enough in us to survive this year as long as we continue to play the way we have been playing today. It’s going to be tough but I think Curbs is the man to keep us in this league this year.â€

“ Ok thanks Jeff, now a Spurs fan, Cait, what do you make of the 1-1 draw with Newcastle then? Barry Davies wasn’t impressed. Were you?â€

“ Nope it was a shambles from start to finish- even when we scored I found it hard to celebrate as the game had numbed my emotions to such an extent. We were so dull, as were Newcastle and I can’t believe those players are on those wages! They work 3 hours a day and have a game at the end of the week! What a joke!â€

“ It may have been a bad game but given your position so far in the table they can be excused a bad game don’t you think?â€

“ I understand what you mean but even so… We’re fifth which is very good – although I think we can do better. We should be looking at conquering the world as soon as possible.â€

“ Not putting too much pressure on your manager then?! Haha! Thanks for that and moving onto our final caller of the evening. Bob in Liverpool. Now Bob is a Birmingham fan so I don’t think you’re too happy are you?â€

“ NO I AM NOT! I HATE EVERTON. THEY ARE SCÅ®M! THEY CHEATED!â€

“ Ok calm down Bob, I appreciate you’re anger but please tone down the volume. Thank you – now what in particular has wound you up?â€

“It’s Everyfink – riiiiiiiiiigggght! Dose Broomayes don’t knaw how lookaye they are to ownly lose twoo nil! We were a mess I tells you! A roiight mess! We couldn’t even pass. We couldn’t! I mean hoow ridiculous is that?! Nooow passion! Nooo nuffin. Robbie Savage is nothiiiiiiiing more than a girls blouse with tha silly hair! I hate em all you knooaoaw! Its’ even worse what with them flipppiin Villains winning! I ahate em riiight! I hate the bleeding lot of them! I’m so dapressd! Bloody idiots!â€

“ So that’s Bob then everyone and he’s not a happy person and if you’re not happy then you know what you can do! Ring the number and bawl your heart out! Unfortunately this weeks edition is limited because of our evening division one commentary match between Wolves and Rotherham, we will back for the FA Cup 3rd. Until then, goodbye!â€

• 2 weeks later...

Claret and Blue Just for You

December/January

Greetings fellow fans to our new look edition of the magazine. Firstly we must apologise for the absence of an issue last month – there were numerous difficulties involving publishers. Anyhow – that’s over with and now we can focus on reviewing the months of November and December, whilst also offering you, the reader, several new features.

First off though – we have our customary interview, this month’s edition is a classic edition – looking back over a period in Aston Villa’s history, and for this months edition – in line with the upcoming FA Cup Third Round we present to you a look at our last victory in this competition, sadly 45 years ago in 1957 as we beat Manchester United 2-1 at Wembley a most memorably game for those who were there, including one Peter McParland as you can see from our Cover Page Special who kindly offered to speak to us on all things Claret and Blue, past and present. Before we come to the interview though – here’s an overview of the events that took place that day.

Golden Moments Part One: The 1957 FA Cup Final, Aston Villa v Manchester United

Aston Villa 2 McParland 2 Mancester United 1 Taylor

Wembley Stadium: 99,125

2 weeks prior to that day, Manchester United had been touted to complete the treble. However Real Madrid ended their European adventures at the semi final stage and of course we took that prized trophy back to B6 after a somewhat controversial tie.

Kicking off in their traditional claret and blue stripes Villa made the early running when in the 6th minute an incident occurred, one that has caused debate over the years amongst fans. The referee for the final, one Frank Coultas of Hull, penalized Peter McParland for a challenge on Manchester United goalkeeper Ray Wood. The Villa forward was not however sent off – and that would later prove to be costly.

Meanwhile, Danny Blanchflower, Manchester United’s defender donned the keeper’s jersey as the team in red were forced to re-organise themselves, Duncan Edwards moving across to take the centre back slot. This was of course in the days before substitutes were introduced and therefore United were reduced to 10 men.

That did not seem to deter Matt Busby’s side though as Manchester United it must be said utilized their superior skill and probably controlled the opening encounters of a bloodthirsty game. In the latter half Villa regained their footing and Peter McParland tested Blanchflower.

Into the second half and a similar pattern emerged where Manchester United dominated the opening proceedings before Villa finally began to wear their opponents down and consequently Peter McParland opened the scoring, heading home from a Dixon cross beating Blanchflower all ends up. The lead was swiftly doubled to the joy off all the Aston Villa fans, awaiting their first FA Cup triumph since 1920 and seventh overall. Billy Myerscough smacked the United cross bar with a stinging half volley, only for the ball to land at the feet of young McParland who fired home with glee to make it 2-0 to the Villains!

As the second half continued, Ray Wood, despite a broken jaw bone, returned to the field – albeit as a witness – but nevertheless he still needed to be marked – taking a Villa man out of the action for a while, benefiting the Red Devils. A Tommy Taylor header reduced the arrears provoking some nerve jangling moments for many a Villain.

Ray Wood actually returned between the sticks, as it became 11 versus 11 once more allowing Manchester United to roam forward, desperately in search of an equalizer. Fortunately that goal never arrived and we won our 7th and most recent FA Cup, Johnny Dixon proudly lifting the trophy aloft to the delight of our faithful supporters.

Teams for the Day:

Villa: Sims; Lynn, Aldis, Crowther, Dugdale, Saward, Smith, Sewell, Myerscough, Dixon, McParland.

Man United: Wood; Foulkes, Byrne, Colman, Blanchflower, Edwards, Berry, Whelan, Taylor, Charlton, Pegg

Now of course the main star of the show for Villa, involved in more ways than one is still around today cheering on from the Trinity Road stand as vociferously as many a young man. Born on 25th April 1934 in Newry, County Down, McParland was an enthusiastic lad who relished a chance to play football, at school, in the streets or in the back yard, as long as it meant he was able to re-enact his heroes. It was no surprise to his family when, at the age of 16, he signed on with Dundalk. His early signs were highly promising and it was not long before the big fish came a hunting and in 1952, aged 18, Peter made his big move to established Division One side Aston Villa for a fee of 3880 pounds. It was a move he would never regret. George Martin had made a wise investment, with the midfield maestro making 341 appearances in the hallowed shirt, scoring 121 goals in all – a very impressive record. He remained with us for the best part of 10 years, picking up an FA Cup Winners medal in 1957, as you have just been reminded. He also helped us to regain our first division status as part of the side that won the Second Division Championship and the inaugural League Cup in 1961. Internationally McParland represented Northern Ireland on 34 occasions, and he scored 2 goals on his debut against Wales in the 1953-54 season. He also represented the football league in 1960.

In 1962, after a lacklustre spell in the team, McParland aged 27 moved to fellow big midland side Wolverhampton Wanderers, during their golden age, before moving the following year to Plymouth Argyle for 30,000 pounds. The end of his career represented that of a typical journeyman, with successive spells at Atlanta Chiefs, Peterborough United and Worcester City before starting on his coaching career. Beginning at Glentoran in 1968 he stayed there for 3 years before again moving on to take up respective coaching roles in Cyprus, Kuwait, Libya and Hong Kong.

Now though Peter is retired and living an easy life with his wife Betty. We caught up with him not so long ago to ask him some questions for your benefit. Here is what he had to say:

“Good Morning Peter, I’m glad you could find time to welcome us today.â€

“ No problem young man, I enjoy the company – what else have I to do now that I am retired hmm? Here take a seat. Betty – bring the tea will you dear? â€

“ Of course silly me! Thanks too, most kind. I suppose we should start at the beginning briefly and then we’ll move on to the memorable final later. Was football always part of your life?â€

“ Yes it was actually, some people liked to pretend it was just a hobby I’d grow out of once I’d found a suitable apprenticeship in some business but frankly I never had the appetite for work. I played football any moment I could, on the fields with the kids, at home in the yard, or at local clubs that would have me. I loved the sport.â€

“So once you signed on with Dundalk in 1950, did you see yourself making the moves you did or would you have been content to stay where you were?â€

“ Hmm. I’m not so sure. Signing on was a great day for me, it was the start in the career I wanted. I wasn’t no farmer or whatnot I was a footballer. Everyone has ambitions though and I guess there was something in the back of my mind that longed for the big time. When the chance came it was too much to turn down! “

“ So when George Martin came calling, how did you feel? Was it an easy decision? “

“ Yeah. ( long pause ), I’d say it was to be honest. I was close to my family and at 18 I was somewhat apprehensive about making the switch to England but Villa were a big club then – even if they hadn’t won a great deal for a few years – their history and tradition still made them a highly respectable club. I couldn’t turn them down and I took the first boat across as soon as I could.â€

“ Of course that proved to be a positive move for you – especially from our point of view – as you contributed enormously to the success we enjoyed whilst you were here. 121 goals in 341 appearances – that has to make you feel proud?â€

“ Of course it does. I was delighted with the way my career at Villa went – I enjoyed pretty much every second of my time there and there were of course some particularly noteworthy achievements in that time haha! I have memories that I will never be able to forget. Oh there you are Betty. Sugar?â€

“ Er 2 lumps thanks. Mmmm – this is good! Do I detect a herbal presence here?â€

“ I imagine you will. Betty makes fantastic tea, pity we ran out of aubergine, her surprise –o-mixer is a real treat.â€

“ Oh well never mind. Another time eh? Ok moving on again, I’d like to ask you a question or two on a particular memory I’m sure you will hold. The 1957 FA Cup final, which was our last triumph in this tournament. That incident on Wood – do you remember it? “

“ As clear as the sky [a bright blue for your information], the ball was floating towards me and I felt I could reach the ball first. As it was my momentum carried me forward a little too far and I was helpless really in colliding with Ray. It was unintentional and there was no malice in the challenge but I suppose it helped us in the end.â€

“ Perhaps. Although couldn’t you also say we had enough talent to win the game 11 v 11? Especially when you take into account the chances we created and the ones we converted. What do you remember about that?â€

“ Well to answer your first point, Manchester United were a very skilled side under Matt Busby and everybody knew it. They were favourites for a reason – that’s not to say we were bad – far from it – but there was a definite aura about that team- the events the following year certainly saddened me.â€

“Moving on to the game and the goals itself I remember it being a close contest. We both had opportunities although of course the longer we had our man advantage the sooner we knew Manchester United would grow wearier and consequently a goal arrived. I remember Johnny [Dixon] bursting down the right, beating Duncan Edwards I think it was before sending in a looping ball. I read the move pretty well and just focused all my attention on meeting that ball squarely with my forehead and fortunately it came off. A more experienced man than Blanchflower might have foreseen the cross sooner but I’m not complaining! I’d just put Villa ahead against Man United in the FA Cup! Can you believe it! It still sounds surreal even today saying that out loud.

Of course as the elder readers will remember the scoreline rapidly changed after that and many a Villain was on cloud 9. Billy had hit a smashing effort that was worthy of a goal in it’s own right but fortunately I was able to react fastest to put it in the net – now that was a great feeling. With a 2-0 lead midway into the second half many of us could see that medal and that trophy in our minds. We just needed to focus. The lads were scared almost about what was happening out there.â€

“ Then Ray Wood came back into the match didn’t he? Yes I remember that. We had to mark him though despite not appearing to be a threat. I think it was Lynn, may have been Crowther – nonetheless though we were a little more open and against a side desperate score we found ourselves holding tight under pressure. Nerves were all around us and when Tommy Taylor pulled one back I remember a sharp cold feeling in my body. For a split second I could see the trophy fading from view – I thought this was as good as it was going to get but we pulled together, we held strong and at the final whistle I – I –I don’t think I’ve ever felt as happy as I did that day. We had defeated Busby’s Babes! A side who had been on course for the treble, halted by Real Madrid and Aston Villa. It was amazing.â€

“ Wow! That sounds incredible. Although I can guess, I’ll ask anyway. What was it like to lift aloft the Cup?â€

“ It was unbelievable. I can remember the feeling of Euphoria, combined with fatigue and a slightly confused feeling when Johnny Dixon lifted the cup to the roars of all our fans – but to feel it myself was something special. I’ll treasure that day for ever.â€

“ Well thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on that memorable occasion. You’ve certainly brought a smile to this Villain. Now if I may, we’ll move on to your thoughts on Villa since you left in 1962. Am I right to suggest that Villa has remained a part of your life ever since?â€

“ Of course it has young man. You don’t experience what I did and then just forget about it! I’ve always looked out for Villa since I left, and I was there in Rotterdam 1982. I saw Peter Withe win the highest club accolade available and I cheered long and hard then too. Even when I was out in Libya – quite an experience I must say! – the club was never far from my mind.â€

“ Ok, then. So one final question Peter, what do make of the current Villa side?â€

“ Good. They’re very good. I did not have as much of a problem with Doug as other more er active fans may have done but it seems as though the change was a benefit. I’d just love it so much – as I have done since ’57 to see a man in Claret and Blue lift the FA Cup once more. Forget Europe and the Premiership, worthy competitions they may be, the oldest Cup Competition in the world is the one to treasure – but then of course I may just be bias like that [ he winks knowingly]â€.

Interview conducted by Chris Barrie, cover page photo: Jeff Tipps

Well that was Peter McParland for you then readers – we hope to make this a regular feature of our magazine. Of course we have our usual features elsewhere, including the 10 random questions with Stefan Postma, and a round up of our last two months worth of football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

“Welcome back listeners¸ and now on the phone line we have Jeff who’s a Charlton fan. So Jeff you must be pleased!? A welcome win at the bottom now. How does that make you feel?â€

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fricking great icon_cool.gif

Lost track of this at some point but I'm catching up again, it's still fantastic work...well done to whomever it was who nominated this for best English story, it's well deserved icon_smile.gif

wow. thanks for the support icon_smile.gif It is appreciated and I'll try and find time to update this a little more regularly icon_razz.gif

10 Random Questions: Stefan Postma

13. Do you have any superstitions?

Me no, never. Maybe I say I will try to do my best if I am selected but I am not a fan of fate.

06. What is your favourite meal?

Well for me I am very much so beginning to like your English tradition of fish and chips – although I prefer a battered sausage myself, with extra mayonnaise.

22. Favourite TV Program?

Ah… well you won’t know any Dutch programmes I expect, but over here I am a big fan of Jack Bauers 24. In fact it is usual for many lads to go to someone’s house to watch it and drink be.. coke sorry.

42. Who is your role model?

There is more than one. At the moment I respect both Edwin Van Der Saar and Peter Schmeichel – both were fantastically able keepers in their prime. World class I would say. As a kid – I remember following Fred Grim for some reason but I think that was because he had such a silly name!

72. Favourite holiday destination?

Er well I always liked the family holiday to Cambuur for some reason. The place is a hole but we always had a great time. Now I would just love to go to one of those white sandy beaches you see on T.V. Some island would be cool.

25. What do you want to do once your career is over?

My god I have no thought about that! I want to play for another 14-15 years and retire when I am very old. Maybe I coach or manage, I really don’t know.

81. Who did you support as a boy?

Me I was always a big fan of Graafschap – so it was a dream to join them but in all honesty I couldn’t turn down a move to a bigger league.

96. Who was the biggest influence on your life?

My father no question. He supported and pushed me all the way offering advice and encouragement all the time.

12. What car do you drive?

A Mercedes CLK 320 – I bought it after a session on Gran Turismo would you believe haha! No really it’s a very good car – I like it and there are a couple of others in the staff car park too so I must have made a good choice.

01. Is football better than sex?

Of course. I have a lifetime of sex ahead of me, but only a limited time of football in me.

November Review

Well… this month was an improvement on the previous month for certain – with more victories in both cups and the league – although a quirk in the scheduling also made for an expensive month for some fans with 5 home games – is it any wonder that so few attended the Burnley tie! Of course there was notable disappointment in the home defeat by our rivals Birmingham City that certainly meant losing out on the bragging rights for a short while.

It started in superb style with an excellent victory over Sunderland – all the more pleasing with our young prodigy Stefan Moore grabbing an excellent brace. He certainly has a promising future. That set us up for the League Cup, a favoured tournament of ours and it was nice to see a mix of youth and experience see us into the next round.

Everton brought us back down to earth in the league unfortunately the following weekend and it was a game we certainly did appear to struggle to with. Nevertheless it didn’t deter us from our European adventure, successfully overcoming a very tough Greek resistance. We have Kim Kallstrom to thank for that – a very worthy signing all ready.

Thereafter we suffered a miserable weekend losing to Small Heath at home, a game which allowed our neighbours some brief respite. However it won’t last long – I’m sure we’ll gain revenge in the return fixture and we can also point to our league position and place in Europe.

The players perhaps seemed to be growing weary with the constant twice a week game schedule and Burnley almost capitalized in the League Cup but eventually they succumbed with Makan scoring his first goal of the month at a critical time. Cheers for that.

Unfortunately though that win did not help reverse a mini blip in the league as we suffered our third straight league defeat at the hands of Chelsea, another aberration and a slight cause for concern – perhaps though this will serve as a reminder that we still have a long way to go before we can realistically sustain a title challenge. Thankfully though we were able to end the month on a high in Georgia – despite the freezing conditions out there – we managed to come back with a brilliant 2-0 lead to take back to Villa Park, courtesy of Juan Pablo Angel and Alan Wright. An interesting month certainly where Alan Wright is joint top scorer but one I think we can be at least moderately satisfied with.

Results:

Sat 02/11 Aston Villa 3 Sunderland 0; Gudjonsson, Moore 2

Wed 06/11 Aston Villa 1 Portsmouth 0; A. Wright pen [LC]

Sat 09/11 Everton 1 Aston Villa 0

Thurs14/11 Aston Villa 1 Xanthi 0; Kallstrom [uEFA]

Sun 17/11 Aston Villa 1 Birmingham City 2; Allback pen

Wed 20/11 Aston Villa 1 Burnley 0; Allback [LC]

Sat 23/11 Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 0

Thurs 28/11 Torpedo Kutaisi 0 Aston Villa 2; Wright, Angel

December Review

November had proven to be an inconsistent month for us with success in the cup competition but successive defeats in the league – so a match with high flying Arsenal was not the best way to kick off the month – yet we played well enough to earn a draw and even could have taken all 3 points had we been more clinical in front of the net, however Juan Pablo’s effort cancelled out Dennis Bergkamp’s opener.

Unfortunately though our cup success seemed to reverse itself 3 days later when we traveled to the New Den to face Millwall. Although Angel grabbed his third in successive games, we folded under pressure and did not perform at the standard we set ourselves in previous matches – and understandably the gaffer was displeased with that performance.

We salvaged back some pride though when traveling to Maine Road for the final time in the stadium’s history to claim a 2-2 draw with Allback and Angel yet again finding the target. However had Robbie Fowler not scored in first half over time we might have had more to show for our efforts. As it was a point at a ground where we usually slip was satisfying enough to continue an unbeaten streak in the league.

The home tie with Torpedo Kutaisi initially seemed a banker but what a worrying game that was for us out there. We won… but for long periods of the game the Georgians were only 1 goal away from leveling up the tie – and they had chances. Fortunately big Dion came to our rescue, scoring one and involved in the two late penalties that took the wee left back’s season total to 5 already! Incredible.

A very welcome league win was seen soon after as we saw off those pesky baggies –with Juan Pablo grabbing yet another goal in what was proving to be a hot streak for the Columbian, although again it was no pretty spectacle. Unfortunately though that was as good as it got for Villa with defeats to Leeds and Liverpool coupled with draws against north east sides Borough and Newcastle as we slipped back in the table – the draw with the Geordies being especially frustrating. However the January transfer window is now upon us and it will be interesting to see if any new arrivals wing their way across to Villa Park. Stay tuned, and remember the next issue of Claret and Blue WILL be out on time next month.

Results:

Sun 01/12 Aston Villa 1 Arsenal 1; Angel 25

Wed 04/12 Millwall 2 Aston Villa 1; Angel 49

Sat 07/12 Manchester City 2 Aston Villa 2; Allback 35, Angel 76

Thurs 12/12 Aston Villa 3 Kutaisi 1; Dublin 64, Wright pen 74, pen 85

Sun 15/12 Aston Villa 1 West Bromwich Albion 0 Angel 61

Wed 18/12 Leeds 2 Aston Villa 1; Allback 20

Sat 21/12 Middelsbrough 0 Aston Villa 0

Thurs 26/12 Aston Villa 1 Newcastle 1; Hendrie 19

Sat 28/12 Liverpool 2 Aston Villa 1; Hitzlesperger

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Note: A couple of updates will arrive later this evening but I must apologise in that they are made up. Let me explain:

My laptop - on which I played both this and my Arbroath game was crashign frequently a while back - so I used what time I had to hand write out all the notes. Now my laptop isn't yet fixed - which is why I've delayed the updates. I'm not sure when it will be either - however I have updates for both which go well into the second season. ( The Arbroath is on it's third ).

Crucial Bit - I've lost January. I know that sounds silly. Well the first 3 weeks at least - so please forgive me as I try and work out from my other notes what games were played. I'll have to make it up a bit - I've been wanting to get this going again but I was waiting to see if I could get my computer fixed to update it accurately. Apologies.

Daily Telegraph

FA Cup Third Round

Clash of the Clarets – Which One’s Which?

by Laura Adams

That was surely the question on everyone’s lips after this less than exquisite tie. It had its moments no doubt, and fans of gritty defending and tactical warfare would have been thrilled this afternoon but it would not have been a surprise if many of those attending Turf Moor on Saturday were left wandering which league they were in after this even encounter.

The spectacle was far from spectacular, but on a rain trodden afternoon few were expecting a classic. Burnley, missing the enigmatic Glen Little, began the brighter of the two sides, outclassing their supposedly superior rivals. The home fans warmed to this encouraging display and on occasion one had to question the intensity of the away side’s commitment.

On 14 minutes the home side almost took the lead through Robbie Blake as the forward, latched onto a booming goal kick up field. Blake seemed to waltz unchallenged through the apathetic Villa defense leaving himself with a one on one situation with Stefan Postma in goal. Sadly for Burnley and to the jeers of the traveling support he spooned the effort high over the crossbar.

That close call failed to energize the dozing Villains and they were almost punished soon after but only escaped thanks to the linesman’s hastily raised flag. Perhaps if Mr. Barnaby of Kettering had paused to consider his decision he might have arrived at the correct one, instead Alan Moore was adjudged offside and the away side lived again.

That at least did seem to inspire some form of response from Davies’ men and they began to pass the ball like a premiership side and for 10 minutes the class divide was apparent. Villa were confidently switching from left to right and back again, controlling possession where needs be and challenging the Burnley back line.

As the half hour mark came and went Villa finally threatened the Burnley goal, as for all their posturing in the previous minutes they hadn’t created a single opportunity. Then, Kim Kallstrom, who’d had a remarkably quiet afternoon thus far, flicked the ball over the onrushing Tony Grant before zipping in a sizzler of a cross for Juan Pablo Angel to connect with. He rose like the proverbial salmon but to the relief of the home fans he could only find Section L Row N Seat 209.

With that chance gone, one could be forgiven for thinking that it might encourage both sides to actively seek another goal threatening opportunity but alas it was not to be. More enthusiasm was evidently grounded in nullifying the others midfield or passing to the fans in Longside or the Cricket Field Stand simply because they asked for it loud enough.

Not even the increased desperation of Stan Ternant and Rod Davies could distract the players from their incessant games with the fans – it’s as if the match had been fixed – not that I would be alleging such a malpractice against the players. It merely seemed a little bizarre to watch 20 grown men competing to see who could kick the ball to little Bobby or Jenny in the Burnley or Villa sections of the ground. Of course I may just be employing a little too much cynicism here as I search to find the answer to an utterly inept period of the game.

After the break it seemed that finally the managers had got to grips with their steeds and had incorporated a cunning new tactic called “keep it in play†which unsurprisingly yielded a vastly improved period of entertainment. Robbie Blake and Tony Grant went close with a 6 yard scramble and a header respectively, whilst at the other end Stefan Moore, on for Angel, clipped the upright with a 20 yard drive and had that effort gone in, you’d have certainly known about it, as he had swiftly turned on the spot and struck first time.

Now the fans were focused on the game and both sets were in a vociferous mood once more, although it was no surprise to hear both sets of fans sing exactly the same chant as each other! Apparently both Burnley and Villa are the greatest sides in the world. Based on today? No they bloody well weren’t!

As the initial fraught opening exchanges of the second half seemed to draw to a close, it was the introduction of young German midfielder Thomas Hitzlesperger who seemed to make the difference in the direction this game headed. With an eye for goal and a desire to start the next Villa game, he played purposefully, encouraging his team mates to follow suit – and this ploy resulted in the game’s opening goal!

“Hooray!†cried the string of journalists alongside of me! So I wasn’t the only one who was less than enamoured with this contest. How I wish I was at Stamford Bridge at this point as Chelsea had around then scored their 6th in what would ultimately prove to be a complete annihilation of Northampton – 8-1 in all. Still, Darious Vassell’s sweetly struck volley from a Thomas Hitzlesperger flick on in the 64th minute gave my fellow colleagues enough to talk about for a while.

To their credit, Burnley immediately fought back against their more illustrious opponents in search of an equalizer. Robbie Blake again the guilty party this time unable to connect with an Alan Moore corner when it seemed harder to miss. Ultimately though the home side were rewarded with a deserved equalizer with fewer than 5 minutes remaining.

Olof Mellberg had been withdrawn by Davies with Jlloyd Samuel brought on in his place. The substitute hurried a clearance following another Blake effort and he was caught out by the ever-alert Alan Moore who created a shooting opportunity for himself 12 yards out and just before Ronny Johnsen could come across in time, he lashed home beyond Postma to the delight of the remaining 8,000 Clarets. No further action of note took place, although I find it interesting to note the vast cheer that arose for the male streaker who fondled referee Graham Barber in the final seconds of injury time. Inappropriate but it made all the remaining fans on both sides leave with a smile.

Full Time: Burnley 1 Aston Villa 1 Vassell 64, Moore 87

Stefan Postma, Gareth Barry, Olof Mellberg, Ronny Johnsen, Mark Delaney, Lee Hendrie, Joey Gudjohnsen,( Hitzlesperger 57), Ian Taylor, Kim Kallstrom, Juan Pablo Angel ( Moore 45 ), Darius Vassell.

Tuesday 7th January 2003

Daily Mail

Soccer Snapshots

collected by A.N.Idiot

Rumours still abound that Manchester United will sign strikers this window and the Daily Mail has it on good authority that both Patrick Kluivert and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank will be joining the high flying reds for a combined total of 45 million pounds. We cleverly picked up on the fact that both of these players are Dutch forwards. Ruud Van Nistelrooy is Dutch - ergo they will be joining the club in the summer.

To finance such a deal, David Beckham has been touted as the big star to leave Old Trafford, after Posh Spice was found pouting in Milan. " I just can't wait to live here with David." This will no doubt infuriate Sir Alex Ferguson who has already had to face a prosecution charge filed against him by his midfielder for grievous bodily harm after the Scot allegedy clipped him round the ear for turning up a day late to training.

In other news Aston Villa's well documented search for a defender will continue after reports from the City Ground say they have rejected a bid rumoured to be worth 2 million pounds overall for their jewell Michael Dawson . Paul Hart has gone on record as saying. " What a prepostrous total. If any club wants Mikey they're going to have to pay mega bucks to pry him away from here. We love him and he's an important part of our plans." Considering Nottingham Forest are currently financially less secure than a Russian peasant, this should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The Express reported a move for Chelsea's Marcel Desailly to be on the cards, another example of how exaggerated rumours can get. Just because John Cresswell, Aston Villa's scout was at Chelsea's last game does not mean Villa are looking at the World Cup and European Cup winner. We find it hard to believe that although Chelsea are performing poorly this year that he would demand a move away from Stamford Bridge.

Michael Bridges and Mark Viduka are the subjects of unconfirmed bids, our sources say. Tottenham, eager to find a competent striker, are believed to have tabled a bid for the Australian who demanded a move after being branded "not 100% fit by his manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

_

_ _ 72. Favourite holiday destination? _ _

_ Er well I always liked the family holiday to Cambuur for some reason. The place is a hole but we always had a great time. Now I would just love to go to one of those white sandy beaches you see on T.V. Some island would be cool. _

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great story so far.

Just one little comment Cambuur isn´t a place. I think you are referring to Cambuur Leeuwarden wich is a football team from the city Leeuwarden in the North of the Netherlands. I´m Dutch so I couldn´t let that one go by...sorry.

Thursday January 8th

Daily Mail – Exclusive

by A.Leech

Shock as Desailly joins the VP Brigade

The Daily Mail can exclusively reveal what we knew all along, that Chelsea’s French International centre half, Marcel Desailly has signed a contract with Premiership rivals Aston Villa for a precise 2.1 million pounds.

With Villa’s lack of defensive cover quite evident, it is of no surprise to learn that Rod Davies has invested part of his January transfer funds in a central defender. With Alpay’s move to Malaga set to go ahead this time next week, the incoming money will help to cover this outlay.

What is also surprising is that Chelsea, in their current predicament, have allowed one of their most experienced, and some might say valued, centre backs to leave, especially to join a Premiership rival. Of course with both clubs at opposing ends of the table they might not be in competition for spots this year, but it certainly detracts from Chelsea’s ability to fight back up the table. Claudio Ranieri was unavailable for comment but Ken Bates did have this to say:

“ Good riddance to him. French git. We don’t need him anyway – he’s only joining some 2 bob outfit who couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. Chelsea are brilliant and hopefully when I succeed in my aim to become chief executive of the FA – which I will – obviously we will become the greatest club side in the world.â€

We advise our readers to take the above comment with an enormous quantity of salt. As for villains though the news was welcomed through out almost every section as a triumph. Speaking at a press conference yesterday, Davies was clearly thrilled with his new capture:

“ I am delighted to finally confirm the presence of Marcel Desailly as an Aston Villa player. We’ve been tracking his progress for some time, and we have been able to capitalize on Chelsea’s misfortunes in the league. I am sure he will be big boost to the team as we look to push on this season for honours.

It is true that I inquired about other defenders, notably from the first division, but I felt the asking price was too high for someone inexperienced at the highest level and when I realized Chelsea were prepared to let Marcel leave for an affordable price we quickly took advantage, to ensure we got our man before anyone else sniffed a look in!â€

Questioned on any further purchases Davies was rather coy in his response:

“ Well we’ll see. I’d need to see how Marcel fits in first, play a game and evaluate as to whether it’s worth breaking the bank and using up all remaining funds on another quality player. We have youngsters out on loan who could return, and those still here are progressing all the time.

Of course you should never say no and if the right player becomes available at the right price we’ll consider it. We’re an ambitious club, always seeking to improve upon our position. If we can add someone to the squad who will make a difference and help us maintain a European charge then obviously we’d be foolish to ignore such an opportunity.â€

The Frenchman himself was unavailable for comment, as he has already committed himself to an exclusive interview elsewhere. Personally this move should be a success for Villa. With a well marshaled defense helping out a developing midfield there is potential in this side. The test will be whether Davies can utilize him right.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for the words Gino, I'll have to watch out Blakey next game I think icon_wink.gif

www.avfc.co.uk/transfernews0*6435

Aston Villa F.C. Takes the opportunity to say a big welcome to Marcel Desailly the Chelsea centre half who joined us yesterday for a shade over 2 million pounds. As has been reported widely in the tabloids, Rod Davies has been looking to strengthen his defence and now we can proudly offer you the exclusive interview with the Frenchman now on avfc.co.uk.

Welcome to Aston Villa F.C. Marcel

Thanks Jonathan. I look forward to my time here.

As do we. Now tell us, what was the motivation behind leaving Chelsea, a notable club in it’s own right?

Well it was certainly no easy decision of course! Chelsea are a big club and I very much enjoyed my time there – winning the FA Cup and playing in the Champions League… I was very happy there as I knew several perfectly nice people. So it is sad to leave, yes, but this year we were not performing as well as we might have.

That is true. Are you surprised by that?

Of course! I mean last season was a very good one for us! There was no indication it would all go so wrong! I have respect for Claudio certainly but maybe things just didn’t go his way in respect to relationship with certain players…

Might that be referring to the isolation of a certain Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank in the first few months?

Perhaps. [winks knowingly]

Ok, well moving on now, what would you say your proudest moment has been so far?

26 August 1986 – making my first game for Nantes against Bordeaux, we won 3-0! I will always remember that! There is my first goal too although that took almost two years later to arrive, haha! We beat Auxerre 3-2 on 6 August 1988. I remember it well as it won us the match so I am very proud!

In your career so far, you have enjoyed several successes. What would you say was your greatest moment?

It is difficult to say – as I have been blessed to enjoy such a degree of luck as you say, but the first time I won the European Cup with Marseille was a very special time for me. I had only been at the club one season since moving from Nantes and it was such a transition!

That’s true. Although you were not at Marseille for very long though were you?

Correct! I only stayed there a little while, where Milan decided to bid for me and what a chance! To play in one of the most notable leagues in the world, especially one famed for its strong defence made me very proud and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

It was a fine spell for you there with more trophies and titles, both domestically and with France

That’s right! It was such a great team! To win the European Cup twice… well not many players can say they have done that! Two titles, and European Super Cups made it an excellent part of my career. Then to signal the end of that period France won the World Cup in Paris at Saint Denis! C’etait formidable!

Of Course! Would you rather win honours domestically or internationally?

It’s easy for me now! I have won all international honours so it’s just trophies! But in truth I play to win every game I play, and that is the only way I can approach any game, and that is why I joined Aston Villa. To win games.

I’m sure you’ve made many a Villa fan feel happy now!

Ha Ha!

Of course after Milan, there was yet more success you lucky sod!

Sod? What is that? Anyway yes, I concede I was fortunate at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup first time in 200 beating er… Oh! Sorry! Beating Villa well it did mean a lot to me – it is a famous competition so I was very happy to win it with Villa. Of course I would be more than happy to repeat the feat with Aston! Ha Ha!

Then there was also winning the 2000 Championships with France – another excellent result as it meant I had now won all the big things to win in football. Well I haven’t won a league title in England… well not yet anyway!!

Woah! There’s ambition! We like that Marcel and we certainly hope you can add to your tally of medals with Aston Villa here! Now was it an easy choice to join Villa? How much did you know of the club at the time?

I knew enough to know it was a sensible move! I have a few years left in me yet of first class football and I want to give my all to winning more games. My agent told me that Ken Bates had accepted an offer and although I was surprised by that I understood a little. The club is not doing too great and it is an opportunity for him to save money. I think it is their loss though!

As for Villa… well of course how can you miss the publicity surrounding their good form! Since the takeover and the run to the top of the league it is clear I have joined a club on the up and this is part of the challenge for me – helping them to stay there! I saw a bit when we played them in the [ FA ] Cup Final in 2000 but they have done better now and the manager seems to know what he is doing. This excites me.

Thank you Marcel, now one final question… your target for this year?

Simple. Win every game I play in. Like I said that’s the only way I can approach games and hopefully it will turn into trophies.

Thursday January 15th

Birmingham Post

Lions Savage Clarets

by Piz-Za-Krapp

It was with an intense passion not seen at Villa Park that the hosts disposed of their astounded opponents with such ease, one could be forgiven that the class divide was far greater than the 26 league placings suggests.

Rod Davies' men had found it hard to find the early season zest that had sent them spiraling high in the sky to the top of the ladder, but last night proved that had changed. The bizarre tie at Turfmoor that had provided a mixture of dour apathy and sublime moments seemed to play in the minds of both sets of players minds.

Burnley, for all their worth perhaps seemed to think that after their previous two encounters with the Midlanders the rivalry between their Claret and Blue hosts was based more upon talent rather than colours. How one laments the naivety of Arthur Gnohere who’s pre match interview the previous day with the Daily Star turned out to backfire quite spectacularly as it must have hit a nerve with the Premiership side, who were still playing without their new centre half Marcel Desailly, watching from the Trinity Road Stand.

The early runnings were made by Burnley and in particular the Ivory Coast defender. Perhaps attempting to repeat his astonishing double goal salvo the previous season against Preston North End. He attempted twice to make a run from his own end ala his “goal of the season†effort of 2002.

Sadly for the traveling hoardes that was as good as it got. The Holte End got fed up started chanting for improvements and from the quarter hour mark onwards it was a one way contest until the 87th minute – which was too late to change the tie.

Darius Vassell and Stefan Moore became the scourge of the Lancashire side as their youthful pace and trickery lead to several well carved openings. Supported by the tempestuous Thomas Hitzlesperger and the rampant Kim Kallstrom kept Nik Michopoulos exceptionally busy all evening – and part of that time was retrieving the ball from the back of the net.

The first attempt was pulled back for offside, the young Moore unable to restrain his bubbling enthusiasm. However on the 28 minute mark it was 1-0 to the Villains. Ronny Johnsen passionately won the ball back from Ian Moore, a little inside his own half before pushing the ball quickly forward to the German Under 21 midfielder who was roving across the centre of the park.

An intelligent “Stanley Matthews feint†past the stranded Mark McGregor and Hitzlesperger was free. Checking to consider his options, he swung across a darting left footer into the path of Darius Vassell. The England international caught the ball on his right foot, steadied his boot and lashed home a thunderous half volley just inside the penalty area into the top left corner of the net. A beautiful strike, that even had Stan Ternant failing to suppress a gasp as the ball was fired in.

With the lead gained, Villa were not about to surrender the advantage as they pressed on forthwith eager to repel back any fears of capitulating. Vassell headed against a cross bar and Kim Kallstrom had a free kick smartly tipped away by Michopoulos. However the pressure was unrelenting and as first half stoppage time approached Michopoulos failed to hold a rasping drive from Gareth Barry and the ball was tipped round for a corner. Kallstrom took an inswinging right footer, where the ball was met plum on the forehead of Stefan Moore. 24,000 fans cheered and the tie was effectively settled at that point.

Although an observer could claim there was still 45 minutes to go in which, as the cliché goes, “anything can happen†the momentum was firmly in Villa’s favour. Peter Whittingham and Steve Davis were both given opportunites to play the full second half; such was the confidence in the home side’s play. Gareth Barry and Kim Kallstrom making way.

The pace slackened a little as the second half began but it was still Rod Davies’ side who looked the more assured. On 55 minutes it was fortunate someone in the Holte called out to Stefan Postma or “The Postman†as he’s known in some parts, as a long kick up field from McGregor caught out the unassuming Ronny Johnsen and with Ian Moore reacting quicker, there was no chance of the less than sprightly Johnsen catching up. It was a glorious opportunity for Burnley to alter the direction of the game, but Moore’s shot brought a reasonably comfortable save from the Dutchman. The save was slightly more theatrical than was actually necessary but this was more in part due to The Postman not concentrating until he heard the warning cry.

Sadly for the division one side that was their best shot, gone in an instant. For now there was no complacency in the Villa back line, as Johnsen and Mellberg remembered a new internationally acclaimed centre half had recently joined their ranks and any further Burnley progression past the half way line was met with a firm but fair challenge, accompanied with what appeared to be a quite vocal dismissal to ensure that Moore and Little knew what they were facing.

With that Villa once more strode forth with a purpose, sweeping the leather sphere from left flank to right flank and back again. With 65 minutes completed, a third killer goal arrived, dismantling any waivering optimism still floating about amongst the Burnley ranks. A straightforward route one goal saw Postma kick long down the right wing, Davis with a first time cross-volley and the enigma that is Lee Hendrie finished superbly.

A convincing goal that will surely have pleased Davies and Desailly, ahead of a tricky tie against runaway Premiership side Manchester United this coming Saturday. Not long after and congas developed amongst the more inebriated home supporters as young Steven Davis opened his Villa account with a two yard poke in following a rebound.

Davies brought on young sub Mike Aaritalo for the final few minutes as the promising Finn tasted life inside a 40,000 seater for the first time. The score line was indeed added to before the 90 minutes were over – a consolation for Burnley. As Villa eased up their attacking tenacity, so did their defence and it was this lackadaisical attitude that enabled Robbie Blake to fire past Stefan Postma who was sadly facing the wrong way.

To Err is to be human, to err twice is pretty damn silly. Methinks Peter Enckelman will earn a reprieve this weekend.

Full Time: Aston Villa 4 Burnley 1 Vassell 28, Moore 44, Hendrie 65, Davis 71; Blake 88

Aston Villa: Postma 6; Delaney 6, Mellberg 8, Johnsen 7 Barry 7 ( Whittingham 6 ); Hendrie 7, Taylor 7, Kallstrom 8 ( Davis 7 ), Hitzlesperger 8; Vassell 8 ( Aaritalo 6 ) S. Moore 7

Archived