Quick question on mental attributes

I can start by answering the first question.

Anticipation - the ability to read and predict what your teammates and your opponents are about to do and where the ball will be. An offensive player will need Anticipation to read where your teammates are about to pass (this is like non-verbal communication between players), whilst a defensive player will need the very same attribute to read the opponent players' movements and passes in order to for example intercept a pass.

Flair - The will to do unpredictable things on the pitch (the skill could be renamed Unpredictability). A player with a high amount of Flair will attempt diffucult dribbles, overhead kicks and pass with the heel, given that he has a high amount of Creative freedom in your tactics as well. Flair is perhaps the most important attributes for the AML and AMR positions, but all attacking players need it more or less. For defensive players, Flair should be kept at a minimum (you don't want central defenders to clear the ball with an overhead kick).

Off the ball - The ability to move the right places when your team has the ball. When a player is off the ball but his team is in posession, Off the ball is needed to move into spaces and such for maximum offensive power. A player with high Off the ball ratings will be able to beat the offside trap, lose defenders and move into space to receive that killer pass. The further up you get on the pitch, the more important Off the ball is. Positioning is Off the ball's defensive counterpart.

These three skills are some of the most important skills in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to open another thread about mental attributes and didn't find if this has been discussed somewhere else previously.

I'm just wandering why do ALL mental attributes fall with age. I find it perfectly normal for some, however, such as Anticipation, Concentration, Flair, Positioning and Work Rate to go down with the human body, but it's astonishing as how, say, at 35 you're less of a team mate than you were at 30, or you're less determined and less influential (in the case of influence being an attribute like any other, unlike in real life where it's determined by a lot of other factors). I just don't find it very believable.

Any ideas?

Archived