• Wingers are not stayin wide (just as they did'nt in FM21)

Hallothere
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Wingers are not staying wide as instructed.

please fix. The same problem was adressed in FM 21, but apprently ignored.

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.21.57.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.21.51.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.24.38.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.24.33.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.24.21.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.23.59.png

Skærmbillede 2022-01-08 07.23.26.png

wingers not staying wide.pkm

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Hey @Hallothere with you showing the Be More Expressive as a team instruction, that is something that is designed to give your players the ability to deviate from your formation. It makes your team and approach more fluid. The hover over description:

12a41183a75b864e6888e079e063283c.png

It does mean to an extent there will logically be times where your team is switching it up a bit and not doing exactly as instructed. 

It is going to be tough to determine when a player is just exercising the freedoms you've given them though and when the instructions you've provided are not being applied due to any other reason. Ultimately though, it would never be the case that if you're using Be More Expressive your team would play exactly to a specification because that's the risk vs reward of it. You risk your players deviating more from what you want, in the hopes their creativity, flair, vision and technical ability produces something extra, something difficult for the opposition to cater to.

If you're wanting your team to play a very specific way repeatedly then it does sound like you would be wanting the Be More Disciplined option set.

That being said, it is something we can investigate, but we're going to need a greater number of matches at the very least.

Thank you.

I hope history won't repeat it self, since the same bug was raised in fm21, with the same response.

However nothing happened.

Until then we will have to play without wingers

• Administrators

Appreciate those PKM's, they'll prove handy. One last thing - could we also have the tactic file you're using, please? 

You'll find it in: C:\Users\your name\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\tactics

I see this a lot too. It's almost as if the wingers stick to the width of the opposing full backs, rather than attempting to stretch the backline. 

• Administrators

If you see it frequently, could you please provide your tactic file and some PKM examples for us to look into, as mentioned above, please. :)

Will be very helpful to our Match team when trying to resolve this. 

Just now, Kyle Brown said:

If you see it frequently, could you please provide your tactic file and some PKM examples for us to look into, as mentioned above, please. :)

Will be very helpful to our Match team when trying to resolve this. 

i have actually gone back to FM21, since the ME of FM22 is so bad that i preferred going an edition back.

so have dont have any files from fm 22, since i deleted it from my computer.

if i decide to return to FM22, i will upload the files :)

This is, as other posters have already alluded to, not a new issue. It has - unless my memory fails me completely - been present in every edition of FM since at least 2018, and frankly probably longer. I know for sure that I have been involved in discussion about this issue on the bug forums in every recent edition of FM.

It is, however, a fairly sneaky issue to detect unless you look directly at what is happening during the finishing stages of attacking moves. Pass maps actively lie to you and mask the issue - let's take a look at an illustrative pair of examples.

image.png.560c99ba7eb87adfcf6ba38aecaac97d.png

In this image, nr. 7 is playing as an IF-A with "Sit Narrower" and the "Cuts Inside" PPM. His narrow, advanced positioning is not a surprise - this is basically where an IF-A should be.

image.png.aaec8fc53cce5b29268de2b0b1da2e0e.png

In this image, nr 12 is playing as a W-S and has the "Hugs Line" PPM. He's visibly deeper and wider than the IF-A from before, so things should be okay, right?

No. Unfortunately not. Let's take a look at their positions at the end of attacking moves.

image.png.112eb6ac613b16b0709a3ac1b0a9d082.png

This is from the first match. A midfielder is driving into the attacking 3rd with the ball, and the IF-A is roughly where he should be - centrally and ready to attack the box.

image.png.51370786702cfb1109ea6522ae63d62c.png

This is from the second match. Now we see the problem. The W-S - who additionally has the "Hugs Line" PPM - is... sitting in the left half-space? Note that the FB is not on an aggressive role that inherently pushes the winger inside - he's just a simple FB-S. The winger should be sitting far wider than the box and stretching play, but instead he's positioned like I've told him to play IF-S or IF-A! This happens with every wide role in the AM strata and has happened in every FM edition in recent memory!

I've uploaded PKMs of both matches for you guys to dissect - but honestly you can just open any PKM of a match from the last 2+ years and you will find this exact issue in every. single. one. Wide players in the AM strata explicitly behave like wide forwards off the ball, regardless of role, duty, instructions, or PPMs, as soon as the ball enters the attacking 3rd.

Juventus v Paris Saint-Germain.pkm Juventus v Palmeiras.pkm

Edited by Sneaky Pete

Thank you for sharing.

Hopefully this will give SI some thoughts about the issue.but to be honest, it is porbaly just gonna be swebt under the rog, as it has been for the last couple of years

• Administrators

Thank you for those PKMs. We have been working on wide-play for a while, specifically with the roles of IF and IW, and we're hoping to make some changes soon. Those examples will come in handy.