• Over-30 contracts, player happiness, loyalty etc.

BanOly
    • Public Status: Need More Info Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

This is a rather convoluted issue that involves many factors, but I believe centres around the way that player happiness and 'loyalty' (or rather total lack of) exists in the game.

Due to the way over-30 contracts work, you cannot extend the contracts of Toni Kroos, Luka Modric, Nacho etc. at Real Madrid until January 2024. You can renew them, but if you want to extend them for another season, you have to wait until then.

By this point, regardless of how often you play these players, there will usually be significant interest from other clubs, which is fair enough. I think in real-life these players would only leave when Real Madrid chose not to extend their contracts, by which point they'd go to unnamed Saudi or Qatari clubs.

However, in-game teams such as PSG are interested in them. Alright, fair enough, I judge a little but whatever. Still, these players who have been here for years won't just up and leave, right?

Turns out, they will. Due to 'interest being shown in my client from elsewhere', you cannot offer them contract extensions. So these club icons who have been here for years and are still playing regular football are just going to leave, and there's nothing you can do about it.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sometimes you can get around this by changing the contract start date to "end of season". Automatic renewal after X games can also sometimes work, but I don't like that clause in general. 

It is often the case that older players IRL only renew after January, as far as I can tell both Kroos and Modric last year only signed on for a new year just before their contracts ended, so FM has that part of the issue mostly right. What would happen if PSG showed interest in those players is obviously guesswork. In FM's estimation, most players can get their heads turned regardless of circumstances.

4 hours ago, Nacaw said:

It is often the case that older players IRL only renew after January, as far as I can tell both Kroos and Modric last year only signed on for a new year just before their contracts ended, so FM has that part of the issue mostly right. What would happen if PSG showed interest in those players is obviously guesswork. In FM's estimation, most players can get their heads turned regardless of circumstances.

I agree that renewing in the second half of the season is realistic, just unfortunately not possible on FM, which is why I stress that the sole issue here is a complete lack of loyalty on the player's behalf.

The real issue is, if you leave the contract to be renewed until post-January, another club can then offer them a contract. I think it goes without saying that inrl if Kroos or Modric got a contract offer from PSG in January, their first move would be asking Real Madrid what their stance is on renewal, because they'd rather stay. Sadly, the opposite is true on FM, and usually the outside club only needs to offer halfway-acceptable terms in order for the player to abandon loyalty and agree to sign for them.

I think the most accurate and realistic way to fix this would be to heavily decrease the frequency with which over-30s are offered contracts by other clubs in the January window.