• Pass completion ration too high

gunnersguy
    • Public Status: Open Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

Dont know if this has been raised before but the pass completion ratio seems far too high.

This is a future save but FC Andorra (who are predicted to finish last, don't have a single player valued at more than 3 million and who on the team comparison page comes bottom in first touch, passing, composure, vision, off the ball, teamwork and the list goes on, you get the picture) have 82% pass completion after playing more than half the season. 

Looking at the current La Liga season in real life only the top 7 have more than 82% pass completion, and the same applies to last season. 

Looking across other leagues, in the Premier League Derby who are predicted to finish 20th have a pass completion ratio of 87%! The lowest pass-completion ratio in that league is 86%. 

This in my opinion is quite a glaring issue, especially when looking at how bad of a team they are. 

Pass completion La Liga.JPG

Prem pass completion.JPG

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just like to add another screenshot. Playing at home against 19th-placed Las Palmas who were a man down from the 4th minute still managed to get 88% pass completion! I don't care who the manager is to get 88% pass completion at the Camp Nou with a man down for most of the game and not a single shot is ridiculous. Also, the tactic I played is designed to have high levels of possession and to only get 55% in these circumstances doesn't seem realistic, especially considering in the game before I played 4th in the league and had 76% possession.  

Barcelona Las Palmas .JPG

In my opinion, this issue seems to be related to a poor high-pressing issue when the opposition is building up play. It seems impossible to block off passing lanes and press the defender with the ball effectively

When the opposition (regardless of their composure, technique, passing or first touch) is allowed to play out from the back with minimal pressure - it's easy to get high pass completion ratio.

Time and time again we see the opposition play from centre backs to fullbacks who makes a pass to the winger who runs to the byline for a cross - impossible to avoid it..

This illustration is with every settings at maximum (Higher Press - Higher Line of Engagement, Much Higher Defensive Line, Much More Often Trigger Press)

The poor high pressing has been a problem since they removed Very High line of engament.

A more effective pressing is with Mid block and Very High Defensive Line but then you're winning more balls in midfield rather than Ajax style where you hunt for possession inside the opposing final third

lack-of-high-press.png

Unbelievable that this bug has still an 'open' status, while there isn't a save game in the FM24 world where passing isn't closely to pitch perfect. So, I've uploaded the save game 'Pass completion ratio way too high.fm' to oc.sigames.com/owncloud. This need to be fixed for FM24, because more variations in playing styles is needed for - magic marketing word - "immersion".

Edited by Kcinnay

Reading what the legend Passion4FM has written, and he knows more than most, it seems to be a pressing issue just as much as a passing issue. I am watching my games just screaming at my players to actually press, even though I have all the settings maxed out.

I think with a few more tweaks though this could be the best match engine ever so let’s hope for a positive response.

I'm wondering what more must be done to have this 'under review'. It's not a small part of the match engine that isn't representative.

SI would you care to respond? I get you would be especially busy over Christmas and New Year and I'm not asking you to change the Match Engine, just your take on the potential issue raised. Many thanks.

Em 16/12/2023 em 14:32, Passion4FM disse:

In my opinion, this issue seems to be related to a poor high-pressing issue when the opposition is building up play. It seems impossible to block off passing lanes and press the defender with the ball effectively

When the opposition (regardless of their composure, technique, passing or first touch) is allowed to play out from the back with minimal pressure - it's easy to get high pass completion ratio.

Time and time again we see the opposition play from centre backs to fullbacks who makes a pass to the winger who runs to the byline for a cross - impossible to avoid it..

This illustration is with every settings at maximum (Higher Press - Higher Line of Engagement, Much Higher Defensive Line, Much More Often Trigger Press)

The poor high pressing has been a problem since they removed Very High line of engament.

A more effective pressing is with Mid block and Very High Defensive Line but then you're winning more balls in midfield rather than Ajax style where you hunt for possession inside the opposing final third

lack-of-high-press.png

This is indeed the problem, all to do with the high press not working, even AI big teams vs AI smaller teams, they just play out from the back easy, it doesnt mean they are attacking better, it just means they are retaining the ball more than normal all the times and it gets very frustrating

I do wonder what you have to do to get SI to respond.

Pressing is still absolutely atrocious in the current version, Pi and Ti honestly don't seem to do anything, "Prevent short GK distribution" I'm convinced is just cosmetic, you max out all pressing settings and the whole team should be at least another 15 yards up the pitch. So frustrating.

I really hope they haven't just written off patching FM24 and are just going to wait for FM25 because it's looking that way.   

Edited by gunnersguy