• Scottish Database issues

Kilmarnock
    • Public Status: Open Files Uploaded: None

The TV dates for the Scottish Premier League are incorrect and haven't been updated since FM18. I know this as I have went have checked.

The database currently has games moved to a Friday night, although Sky & BT/TnT haven't shown Friday night games on a consistent basis in YEARS. However, somehow this has went un-updated for years. 

Old Firm games are a major part of ANY TV deal that has ever been signed, yet the game has Old Firm derbies are continually missed out when selecting TV games.

After the spilt no games are moved to TV dates, meaning deciding games aren't on TV or the final Old Firm derby.

Scottish Cup - Again TV dates are incorrect and haven't been changed in years. The BBC (national) show games on a Friday and a Monday night as well as the Satellite coverage over the weekend.

These issue has been in the game for years and as stated the tv dates haven't been changed since FM18, how does this go for 6 years without being updated? It really is very poor.

I actually feel the Scottish database has been very poorly updated as a whole this year. Under 18 teams are simply in wrong leagues and some teams have no players despite most Academies having twitter posts about their line-ups on Friday nights before games. Ayr United being a prime example. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello Kilmarnock, thanks for the feedback.

On the TV dates thing; that's fair enough. These are things we should have fixed, and as a team, we should have picked up on it. The fact it's gone unchanged for 6 years suggests that it's gone largely unnoticed, including by us, so I don't think many people have considered it a huge issue. I note that there was a post about it in the summer in the FM23 feedback thing and we should have picked up on it then, but as I say, it's not really something that's ever been put in front of me as a problem that requires fixing until now. Rest assured we will now get this updated in the game as soon as possible. Indeed, we were already aware of the post split issue ahead of your post so that fix is already in the pipeline.

The issue of Old Firm games is not a database issue and I would not be the person to confirm if this can get fixed. If there's a way for the coders to ensure a specific fixture is chosen for TV, they will, but we don't set that.

Your comment that the Scottish database has been very poorly updated this year is an opinion you're entitled to have, although on behalf of my team of researchers who work incredibly hard, I would disagree and the feedback I have received has been overwhelmingly positive. Of course, we know that it's not perfect and never will be, and the two u18 teams in the wrong league is an example of that. And we've already got that fix lined up for the next update.

The lack of u18 players however is not something I would consider an error.

Looking at Ayr United as the example you've given, I see they update their twitter with lineups that simply state the player's surname and initial. That's not enough for us to add them in, so the next stage would be to go to the website to find there's only a full name and whether they are a defender, midfielder, attacker or goalkeeper. That's not enough to add them, especially when there's a chance that we might be adding a player who is below the age where they are legally allowed to be added.

Hopefully that answers some of your points.

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. 

FM24 is the first game I have decided to invest after years of keeping FM18 up to date. Using the FM18 editor I managed to fix most of the tv dates issues. However I could never fix the TV dates after the split and after finding out this and the youth league isn't going to be fixed until next year, it put me in a bad mood and I unloaded.

In terms of Youth players what is enough to add them? Is it just D/O/B - position and full name? Perhaps you could fire me through an research submission document? 

I don't think you realise the hoops we need to jump and depths we need to plunge to get the academy players added. The main thing is DoB and PROOF of DoB. Not transfermarkt DoB or any other 'stat' website. Said last year on one of the English threads, that site's going to cause us hunners of issues in the future when folk come in and say "this DoB is wrong, transfermarkt says this" and we then can't remember the source for the real DoB. Absolutely convinced they use the FM random generarted DoB for youth players sometimes.

I can understand the frustration that these players aren't in, I get it. I play the game too. It's annoying. But I'm sitting here with 18 U18 players for Falkirk. I've got 6 names from the U16s. I think it's 5 I've actually got in the database/game from the 2007s? They need to be 16 before 31st of August 2007 (2008 next year and so on). Normally it's don't know a DoB? No bother, add the YoB. We can't do that with the kids. Yeah, I can add 2007 to one of them, but that could get us in trouble if he's not 16 by the cut off date. I dunno how old you are, but back in my day when I first started this 23 years ago, we had the SFL Review at the start of every season, brilliant book! DoBs. PoBs. Heights. Weights. Contract date for every contracted player/youth. Club websites carried alot of that information too. That's all but gone now, SFL Review for 18 years now :(. Scottish clubs like to keep that info hidden, understandably in this privacy era.

We got back in December 1st there, I went to the SFA website to get the teamsheets for the last Scottish Youth Cup matches to add the Stirling Albion 18s. I went onto Peoples Register Scotland to look up the YoB. 1st 5 players. 2007. 2007. 2007. 2007. 2007. You've then got to go down rabbit holes to try and find the real birthday. So these guys arent in yet.

So aye, we know these players exist that arent in the db. We know the sites to look at. SFA website is brillaint for DoBs for players capped in the youth teams. It's brilliant when the Premiership B teams enter the SPFL Trust trophy, as the first round usually starts before the August cut off, so anybody that plays in that (or the League Cup summer group stages), we know are 16, so can enter "Yob 2007" and tick box 16 before 31st August. 

Edited by Giro

Sorry for the big ramble of txt there. I hope it's made a bit more understandable. But aye, any help with DoBs for the 2007s and if there's any missing 2006ers that should be in the game, the help is appreciated. But it definitely isn't the case of us not trying.

Edited by Giro

9 minutes ago, Giro said:

I don't think you realise the hoops we need to jump and depths we need to plunge to get the academy players added. The main thing is DoB and PROOF of DoB. Not transfermarkt DoB or any other 'stat' website. Said last year on one of the English threads, that site's going to cause us hunners of issues in the future when folk come in and say "this DoB is wrong, transfermarkt says this" and we then can't remember the source for the real DoB. Absolutely convinced they use the FM random generarted DoB for youth players sometimes.

I can understand the frustration that these players aren't in, I get it. I play the game too. It's annoying. But I'm sitting here with 18 U18 players for Falkirk. I've got 6 names from the U16s. I think it's 5 I've actually got in the database/game? They need to be 16 before 31st of August 2007 (2008 next year and so on). Normally it's don't know a DoB? No bother, add the YoB. We can't do that with the kids. Yeah, I can add 2007 to one of them, but that could get us in trouble if he's not 16 by the cut off date. I dunno how old you are, but back in my day when I first started this 23 years ago, we had the SFL Review at the start of every season, brilliant book! DoBs. PoBs. Heights. Weights. Contract date for every contracted player/youth. Club websites carried alot of that information too. That's all but gone now, SFL Review for 18 years now :(. Scottish clubs like to keep that info hidden, understandably in this privacy era.

We got back in December 1st there, I went to the SFA website to get the teamsheets for the last Scottish Youth Cup matches to add the Stirling Albion 18s. I went onto Peoples Register Scotland to look up the YoB. 1st 5 players. 2007. 2007. 2007. 2007. 2007. You've then got to go down rabbit holes to try and find the real birthday. So these guys arent in yet.

So aye, we know these players exist that arent in the db. We know the sites to look at. SFA website is brillaint for DoBs for players capped in the youth teams. It's brilliant when the Premiership B teams enter the SPFL Trust trophy, as the first round usually starts before the August cut off, so anybody that plays in that (or the League Cup summer group stages), we know are 16, so can enter "Yob 2007" and tick box 16 before 31st August. 

What proof is it you need? At no point was I going to use any website when I asked for a submission form. 

Other than the actual birth certificate :lol:. A legit site, like SFA, UEFA. Club website (but even then, they can be wrong on occassion). But aye, we need the clubs to start offering the info up again.

It's frustrating, but we legally cannot leave ourselves open to any sort of comeback entering 2007s early before the "school start." We might get away with it 99 times out of 100. 1 time we won't. Our database itself, doesn't let you add a DoB after 31/8/200(7), which is why we need definitive proof when adding a YoB. We can't go violating a kids privacy for a computer game.

That's why as I say, we know players have to be 16 to play in competitions, so we can work out who is eligible and can definitely be added with out a DoB. And again if theres' 05's, 06's missing, great, we'll get them added.

Edited by Giro