• Two Cuban clubs have been confused for each other

oriole01
    • Public Status: Open Files Uploaded: None

I'm reposting this issue from FM23.

The Cuban club representing the city of Havana in recent versions of the game is not the same club as the one that was present in previous editions of the game. The club La Habana (ID 5430463) now appears to resemble the current top tier club FC La Habana, which is not the same club as Ciudad de le Habana, a former 10-time national champion that was represented under this ID as recently as FM21. Ciudad appear to either no longer exist or to be playing in a lower division, but the history of the club in the database matches that of Ciudad and not FC La Habana.

The fact that these clubs are not the same can be proven through RSSSF records that show them playing in the same league at the same time for several years (ex: https://www.rsssf.org/tablesc/cuba08.html) and Spanish Wikipedia has separate pages for each club. I suppose it is possible that the two clubs merged, but I have not seen evidence of this online and even if they did, Ciudad's history should be separated from FC La Habana's. To fix this, FC Le Habana should be created as a separate club with its own history (four national titles in 1916 and consecutively from 1965-67) reflected, and the ID 5430463 should be reverted back to Ciudad de la Habana and contain record of its 10 national titles (1963, 1964, 1972, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1984, 1994, 1998, 2001). Ciudad should be either marked as extinct or placed in the lower division. Lastly, FC La Habana play at the Estadio La Polar rather than Ciudad's Estadio Pedro Marrero.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for highlighting that. I had a look into it, even RSSSF seem unclear as they make a note not to include La Habana FC in the titles of Ciudad. It looks like when I first came on I thought they may have been merged, as a La Habana disappear and the players went over (La Habana wasn't based in Havana, but a town 30 odd miles outside or something) . 

My gut feeling remains that they merged- Cuba as you k ow has regional teams and it would be unusual to have two teams for a region. Perhaps before they had one for the city and one for the region and then they were merged in 2012. 

I'll have a think and update for the Winter update. Sorry I missed this last year.

oriole01

Posted

@V50 Have you made a decision about this? I haven't seen any changes made on ORDB (I am an AR now). I still think it would be best to create Ciudad as a separate extinct club with its prior history to itself, and have the new La Habana on its own record. And then the "new club" field can be used to link the two and show the likely merger.

Also, I have opened several discussions on there regarding stadiums in Caribbean nations that don't appear to have been seen and/or addressed. Would appreciate it if you could take a look. Thanks!