Fm2009: Official barnsley fc thread- the home of the tykes!!

BarnsleyFan_08

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Barnsley Football Club is an English football club, based in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, and nicknamed the Tykes, with Toby Tyke being their mascot. The club was founded in 1887 as Barnsley St. Peter's. They currently play in the Championship after promotion was secured at the end of the 2005-06 season by beating Swansea City 4-2 on penalties in the play-off final.Barnsley have spent more seasons in the second tier of English football than any other club in history,[citation needed] and have produced some notable talents over the years who have gone on to be successful at other clubs. One example is Tommy Taylor, who was a prolific goalscorer for Barnsley in the early 1950s and went on to win two league titles with Manchester United (as well as scoring 16 times in 19 England internationals) before losing his life in the Munich air disaster. Taylor's move to Manchester United was for a then world-record fee of £29,999.

[edit] Past times

Barnsley in the 1912 FA Cup FinalBarnsley FC was established in 1887, playing in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895. They joined the Football League in 1898, and struggled in Division Two for the first ten years, due in part to ongoing financial difficulties. In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 FA Cup Final where they would defeat West Brom 1-0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

When the league re-started after the First World War, the 1919-20 season brought some significant changes to the league. The principle difference was that the First Division would be increased from 20 teams to 22. The bottom team from the previous season was Tottenham Hotspur and they were duly relegated. The first extra place in the First Division went to Chelsea, who retained their place despite finishing 2nd bottom and therefore in the relegation places. Derby and Preston were rightly promoted from the Second Division which left one place to be filled. Having finished the previous season's Second Division in 3rd place (1914-15), Barnsley were full of expectancy at gaining First Division status for the first time, but the Football League instead chose to call a ballot of the clubs. Henry Norris, the then Arsenal Chairman, had recently moved Woolwich Arsenal north of the River Thames to Highbury, and needed First Division Football to attract fans to their new home. He was later to admit some underhand dealings, allegedly including the bribing of some member clubs to vote for Arsenal's inclusion. They duly won the vote and Barnsley were consigned to the second tier of English Football for another 8 decades.

The club did however come close to reaching the top division in the early years, such as in 1922 where they missed promotion on goal difference decided by a single goal. From the thirties up to the fifties the club found themselves sliding between the Second and Third Division, and in the sixties and seventies they hovered around the Third and Fourth Division, not able to break back into the top two levels of English football.

The eighties and early nineties saw the club get back on track, earn promotion and once again establish themselves as a strong Division Two side as they had been in their early history, eventually reaching a position to once again start challenging for a place in the top tier for the very first time.

[edit] Modern times

Over the past decade Barnsley have experienced a number of highs and lows as a football club. At the end of the 1996-97 season Barnsley reached the top tier of English football for the first time in their history. However, they were relegated the following season despite their efforts.

In the following years Barnsley were not as successful, with relegation to Division Two and administration both threatening the existence of the club. Barnsley suffered greatly due to the ITV Digital crisis, resulting in the club going into administration in 2002. A late purchase from Barnsley's then Mayor, Peter Doyle, saved the club from folding. Doyle has since left the club, leaving Gordon Shepherd and local businessman Patrick Cryne in control. There has also been a rapid turnover of managers, with no less than ten managers in the same number of years.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment,[1] and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where they beat Swansea City 4-3 on penalties (2-2 after extra-time) to earn promotion to the Championship. The manager at this time was Andy Ritchie, who was in his first season in charge after replacing Paul Hart.

The team struggled in their first season back in the Championship. In November 2006, with Barnsley in the relegation zone, Ritchie was sacked in favour of Simon Davey. Davey managed to steer the team away from relegation in the second half of the season, and eventually finishing in 20th. The following season, a much-changed Barnsley side managed an historic FA Cup run, beating Premiership giants Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield and defending champions Chelsea 1-0 in order to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1912, where they narrowly lost out 1-0 to fellow Championship side Cardiff City at Wembley.

1 GK Heinz Müller

2 DF Bobby Hassell

3 DF Robert Kozluk

4 DF Darren Moore

5 MF Hugo Colace

6 DF Stephen Foster

7 FW Iain Hume

8 FW Miguel Mostto

9 FW Kayode Odejayi

11 MF Mounir El Haimour

14 MF Diego León

15 MF Anderson de Silva

16 MF Andy Johnson (transfer-listed)

17 GK Luke Steele

No. Position Player

18 DF Dennis Souza

19 MF Jacob Butterfield

20 MF Jamal Campbell-Ryce

21 FW Jon Macken

22 DF Luke Potter

23 DF Marciano van Homoet

24 FW Michael Coulson

25 MF Martin Devaney

26 MF Simon Heslop

28 GK Kyle Letheren

29 FW Maceo Rigters (on loan from Blackburn Rovers)

30 FW Jamil Adam

31 FW Reuben Noble-Lazarus

33 MF Simon Whaley (on loan from Preston North End)

[edit] Out on loan

No. Position Player

10 MF Brian Howard (at Sheffield United)

12 DF Robert Atkinson (at Grimsby Town)

From Wikipeadia

Realistic target:

to slowly build a squad that can return to the premiership on a tightish budjet.

Squad:

Goalkeepers:Is the strongest area, with big german Heinz Muller battling it out with last season's F.A cup hero Luke steele, Muller edges it providing good handling, ariel abillity and shot stopping.

Defenders: Darren Moore and Dennis Souza do a solid enough job, but in my opinion souza(very underrated on the game IMO) needs to be replaced with a new signing, the strongest left back is Rob Kozluk but he has liitle or no cover so this needs looking at. Right back postion has plenty of compition with Steve Foster, Bobby Hassell and Marciano Van Homoet all vying for that 1 position.

Midfield: The central midfield lacks an attacking central player due to the impending departure of Brian Howard to Sheff Utd, but Anderson De Silva and Hugo Colace can offer the team a solid partnership to hold the midfield together if you want to play conservative, Jamal Campbell-Ryce is very good, but a left-sided player is needed as Martin Devaney offers good back up but not good enough to hold down a regular spot.

Strikers: This is the weakest area of the team, Hume likes to ideally drop off the front man so is not a 'Fox in the Box', Jon Macken is good back up, but goals will be in short supply, Maceo Rigters is also good back up, but found on the demo gets injured all the time, so IMO opinion most of the 800k budget should go towards a forward player.

thats all, enjoy leading the tykes back to the promise land......YOU REDS!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Finished 5th first season and then lost in the play off final vs scum Sheffield United in a 6 player online game, Currently in 6th place in the 2nd season with 31 games played.

Rigters was great for me first season, couldn't get him back for the 2nd though. Colace, Hume, Miller are all good players. Foster was horrible for me, sold him 2nd season.

Noone else playing the Tykes?

And someone fix the thread badge!

• 1 month later...

Anybody recommend me any decent players for Barnsley fc on the game ? i have a budget around 800k but I bought a player called binya for 190k ! so not much money left ! or anyone reccomend players some teams might loan out who are decent ? also why i am on here what is the best formation to use for a championship team like Barnsley would you say ? wb

• 4 weeks later...

Barnsley Managers here goes.

At the very very start of the game, Transfer list Heinz Muller And Steve Fosterr for £3m and £3.5m respectivly, i can assure you Wolves will offer 3.5m for Foz and Loads will come in on Loan for Heinzy. but Hertha will offer 3m

You will then have around 7m to spend

Here are some good players i recomend with that

MATTY FRYATT 650K (2nd season goes to 2.2m)

FABIAN DELPH 1.1M (Goes up a hell of a lot after 2-3 seasons)

SEAN ST LEDGER 700K (Lower Prem Clubs after him then)

KYLE NAUGHTON 1.9M (Ok not very good at 1st but i can assure you his Stats go up)

Also keep hold of Colace as in 2nd season My Chairman sold him for 4.7m to Sunderland. Anderson is good too. JCR Best player in real life, id give him away on that game very crap indeed

• 4 weeks later...

I am in my 3rd season with Barnsley, started on 1st patch but on 3rd now. I finsihed 9th in the 1st season and 7th last season. At the start of this season, very much with the same core of my side and some decent additions (Giles Barnes, Jermaine beckford and some more), I had strong hopes for Promotion. Started season well but I ve not won a game in November, since my main striker Matt Derbyshire got injured - any thoughts or additions to my side?

GKs Stephen Bywater, Dean Brill

RBs Danny Butterfield, Van Zanten

LBs Scott Goldbourne, Fabio (On loan form Man Utd who are my parent)

CBs Christophe Berra, Danny Collins, Mathew Bates, Ricardo Rocha

CMs/DMs Jonathon Douglas, Mascio, Keith Andrews, Keith Southern, Jack Collinson, Scott Servain

RWs Giles Barnes, Chris Taylor

LWs Lee Cook, Danny Pugh (on Loan), Hamzeur Bouazza (Transfer listed - been shocking)

FWs Matt Derbyshire, Jermaine Beckford, Nathan Delfounseo, Ashley Chambers

My Star men have been Goldboure (Celtic and Rangers want him), Christophe Berra (Legend, really suprised I got him from Hearts on quite low wages), Chris Taylor (Although Giles Barnes is getting more games) and Matt Derbyshire (top scorer every season - if i dont go up this time may struggle to keep him).

I am currently 14th, Out to Liverpool in 5th round of League Cup, Just ending November in 3 rd season. Although I am not winning games at the moment I am not losing either lots of draws.

I play 4-1-3-2 Sexy football tactic, I can not work out whats wrong this season - My main problems have been - Fitting Giles Barnes and Jack Collinson into my team, Beckford not setting the world alight with goals and who to partner Berra at the back. I have 0 money for transfers and no wages left :( any thoughts on where to improve?

The Dream of taking Barnsley back to the premiership is dying, I am running out of patience with my team, I dont feel there is any where to improve the squad within the budget, My team cant win matches anymore... 1-0 up, 2-0 up they re blowing every lead we get. Matt Derbyshire has not scored in 8 games, Every midfielder in the squad has turned poor... I cant work out why and think its time for change

Update: In a last ditch effort to turn the club around from championship midtableness, I sold the club favorite Matt Derbyshire to Birmingham for £8.5Million, His golas and comitment over the 2 1/2 seasons went unquestioned, but when he was off form the team simply didnt win.

While Derbyshire discussed terms, I put 2 bids in for pacey strikers to compliment my squad £1.5 Million for Freddy Eastwood and £2.5mil for Dave Nugent (both would compliment Beckford, Delfounseo and Chambers or I would use them as my main pairing.) Any ways, both bids were accepted and agreed terms, I delayed the deals and Derbyshire left. One week later the 2 international strikers were on there way. I also Added 250k Neil Clement and 400k Iain Turner.

Since then, 5 games played, 1 goal conceded!!! 14 scored and 5 wins. Freddy has set the world alight with spectacular goals and Nugent has complemented him well. Delfounseo and Chambers are both unhappy with the competition but are both only 20 years old. In the summer I will move on Beckford and use these 4 strikers. I also have a VERY promising regen signed from rosenborg and a youngster out on loan called Jamil Adam (dunno if hes a regen or not) who is top scorer in League 2 so far this season.

The future is looking Up... Up to 10th and into Quarter Finals of the cup, where I face Birmingham (without Matt Derbyshire, who i made sure played the last minute of the 3rd or 4th round before leaving lol) and I am 9th in league 5 pts of playoffs with 15 to go!

I also moved on David Van Zanten, Matt Bates, Mascio (he just wasnt doing it!), Keith Southern, Scott Severan as well as Matt Derbyshire. I brought In McMahon from M'boro on loan to cover right back and signed Liam Miller for 200k.

Update: We Beat Birmingham and now are through to play Liverpool in the FA cup semi finals. It was a close game, we went 0-1 down early on, but soon after Giles Barnes made a run into the box and was pulled down... Freddy Eastwood stepped up and dispatched his penalty into the roof of the net. It was then a very tense close affair and in the 89th Min Giles Barnes gets some room down the right wing, over hits his cross, Lee Cook keeps the ball in play and quickly re-delivers... and Eastwood scores at the back post!.... but wait, the linesmen seen something... and the goal was disallowed. With the game seemingly going to a replay, in the 92nd min, Barnes again skipped down the right flank and delivered for Nathan Delfounseo to smash a volley off there Keeper... Eastwood following up 2-1!!! the Barnsley fans errupt!

I lost 2-1 to Liverpool but gave them a good run for their money (althought they had rested Gerrard and Torres) so on to the league and trying to improve our fortunes. Went from 11th upto 8th with 4 to play, 6 Points from the Playoffs - so achievable, QPR sit in 7th and had them away next... 2-0 down and finished 2-2 so not a disaster, but the playoff placed teams won leaving us little chance of getting there.

8th Place in the league, so i ve lost even more paitence. I ve told the board my aim is promotion this season and sold quite a few of the squad off, brought in some more quality - Marc Crosas from celtic on a free, Glenn Loovens on a free from Celtic. Sold Jack Collinson cause he wanted to go for 3mil + 50% sell on and replaced him with Ben Watson again on a free from Palace. Brought some youth through to the 1st team and sold off Beckford, Van Zanten, Bates, Rocha, Sevrin and Delfonseo. None of these player gave me anything all season and have been replaced.

I now have a Healthy bank balance and took 30k off my wages.

Lost my 1st game away to Leicester (Delfonseo scoring), Drew next game 0-0 and won on pens against Carlisle... this worried me as I hadnt scored in 4 of my 6 friendlies... so i brought in Anthony Stokes and Robert Earnshaw for a combined 200k... Didnt want to upset my strikers though (Nugent injured) so gave Ashley Chambers the starts... next 5 games 10 goals from the youngster... Now 2nd in the league

• 4 months later...

Season 1:

Ins:

Eduardo Salvio

Jonathan Cristaldo

Henri Anier

Loic Nestor

Hugo Viana (free)

Daniel Sturridge (loan)

Jean-Pascal Fontaine

Matt Phillips

Diego Perotti

Tsvetomir Todorov

Daniel Opare

Outs:

Macken

Odejayi.

Lots of young talent there, should be a good season.

This is on an update

• 4 weeks later...

Archived