My Man City career

I am going to keep a record on here of my current game. Rather than do a story (which is hard to keep going) I'm just going to keep a log of how each season went. Point? None at all. So if it seems boring or pointless, just don't bother reading it. I have gone with a generic 4-2-4 formation (which is really a 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed on a bit between the CM's and the forwards). I realize I could have done a lot better with Jambo's or a few others' tactics but I wanted one that would not make the game too easy. Also, when I list my best performers for the season, I'm not going to list average ratings because all my forwards always get high ratings, my defenders always get poor ratings and my midfielders are somewhere in between. So making comparisons using average ratings would be silly. Feel free to comment or ask questions if you want to know how specific players did or whatever.

First season upcoming...

Season: 2007/2008

Notable transfers in: Naldo DC £7.75M, Jo SC £5.5M, Bosko Jankovic AMRLC £5.25M

Notable transfers out: Darius Vassell AM/FLC £1.5M, Dietmar Hamann DMC £250K, Ashley Grimes AM/SC £250K

Premier League: 4th (W 19 D 8 L 11 F 63 A 38)

FA Cup: Winners (4-3 vs Crystal Palace)

League Cup: Quarter Final (1-2 after extra time vs Chelsea)

Squad:

G Isaksson/Schmeichel/Hart

DR Richards/Onuoha

DL Garrido/Ball

DC Naldo/Dunne

DC Corluka

MC Johnson/Fernandes

MC Elano/Ireland

ML Petrov/Caicedo

MR Geovanni/Jankovic

F Castillo/Bojinov

F Jo/Benjani/Mpenza

Best performers: Jo (Premier Division player of the year). Isakkson (conceded 20 goals in 23 games). Naldo (captained the side and was very solid all season). Richards (consistent all season).

Top scorers: Jo (24G 39AP), Castillo (18G 44AP), Elano (13G 41AP)

Memorable game(s):

FA cup final: Castillo scored the second-fastest-ever FA cup final goal to make it 1-0 City but at half time Palace led 3-2. With 5 minutes to go there was no change in the score and it looked like the Championship side were going to produce the upset but then Petrov leveled and in the 89th minute Castillo rounded off his hattrick to give City the win.

Final league game of season: Going into the final game, Man City, Newcastle & Arsenal all had a chance to clinch 4th spot and therefore champions league football. As it turned out City had to win and in an eventful game at Bolton which saw each side reduced to 10 men, Martin Petrov scored the winning goal in the 72nd minute to make it 3-2 City. We finished one point ahead of Newcastle and the relief and europhoria at the final whistle was indescribable!

Comments:

Overall I was very pleased with my first season. I would have taken either a cup win or a top 4 finish but to get both was great. We all worked hard over the season and got our reward. Jo was incredible and turned out to be a steal for only £5.5M. Jankovic progressed well in training but was a little disappointing overall. Johnson had a good season in midfield and was looking a great prospect. Elano's goals from midfield were invaluable. I looked forward to the arrival of some Bosman signings and after summer holidays it would be time to see how we could strengthen the squad for the upcoming season in the Champions League (if we got past the qualifier). One season down, one nice trophy in the cabinet!

Season: 2008/2009 (2)

Notable transfers in: Ribery £17.5, Akinfeev £15.5, Bojan free, Senderos free, Prieto free, Vonlanthen free, Hobbs free, Borowski free, Mascherano free, Boutahar free, Helmes free, Porritt free, J Henry free, Wheater free, Ponzio free, Flamini free, Love free.

Notable transfers out: Helmes £5.25M, Vonlanthen £3.9M, Ponzio £3.7M, Fernandes £3.5M, Boutahar £1.9M, Ireland £1.5M.

Premier League: 3rd (W 24 D 2 L 12 F 73 A 34)

Champions League: Runners Up (2-3 after extra time vs Barcelona)

FA Cup: Quarter Final (1-2 Arsenal H)

League Cup: 4th round (0-2 Man Utd H)

Community Shield: Winners (vs Man Utd 5-4 on pens after 1-1)

Squad:

G Akinfeev/Isaksson/Schmeichel

DR Richards/Onuoha

DL Garrido/Ball

DC Naldo/Dunne/Wheater

DC Corluka/Senderos

MC Flamini/Johnson/Borowski

MC Elano/Mascherano

ML Petrov/Jankovic

MR Ribery/Prieto/Geovanni

F Love/Castillo

F Jo/Bojinov/Sturridge

Best performers: Jo (Premier Division player of the year and 30 goals). Love (23 goals). Akinfeev (great 1st season), Petrov (14 goals from the left wing).

Top scorers: Jo (30G 57AP), Love (23G 59AP), Petrov (14G 57AP)

Memorable game(s):

Champions League final: Absolute heartbreak for the lads. We looked to be heading out until Michael Johnson scored only his second goal of the season in the 90th minute to force extra time even though we were down to 10 men. But it wasn't to be as Eto'o won it for Barca in the 98th.

Premier League away to Arsenal: Arsenal ended up finishing 4th but were completely outclassed 5-0 at the Emirates by the team that ended up 3rd. Thanks to a Jo hattrick and one each from Corluka & Vonlanthen the visitors ran out easy 5-0 winners. Injuries to Walcott & Hleb compounded the Gunners mysery.

Comments:

Bitter sweet season. Great experience getting to the Champions League final at the first attempt. Hope we'll be back before too long. Decent league finish and we scored more and conceded less than last season so we moved forward. Jo & Love were an incredible & exciting partnership that terrorized defenses across England & Europe. I feel I need to make some key signings to be in a position to challenge for the Premier League which is our primary goal. At least we got one trophy in the form of the Community Shield so we didn't go home completely empty-handed!

Season: 2009/2010 (3)

Notable transfers in: Diego £21M, Van Der Vaart £17M, Huntelaar £9M, Kalou free, Mikel free, Dos Santos free, Sahin free, Burdisso free, Traore free, Schweinsteiger free, Pique free, M Torres free, Walcott free.

Notable transfers out: Mascherano £8M, Love £7M, Elano £6.75M, Flamini £4M, Bojinov £3.8M, Isaksson £3.8M, Porritt £3.7M, Wheater £3.7M, Caicedo £3.4M, Prieto £3.1M.

Premier League: Winners (W 26 D 7 L 5 F 85 A 34)

Champions League: Quarter Final (Away goals vs Milan)

FA Cup: 5th round (2-3 Liverpool A AET, replay)

League Cup: 4th round (0-2 Newcastle A)

Squad:

G Akinfeev/Schmeichel/Hart

DR Richards/Onuoha

DL M Torres/Traore

DC Burdisso/Naldo/Pique

DC Corluka/Senderos

MC Van Der Vaart/Johnson/Mikel

MC Diego/Sahin

ML Schweinsteiger/Dos Santos/Petrov

MR Ribery/Kalou

F Huntelaar/Castillo

F Jo/Walcott

Best performers: Jo (Premier Division player of the year and 25 goals). Walcott (Premier Division young player of the year), Akinfeev (43 conceded in 50 AP), Corluka (best defender).

Top scorers: Jo (25G 46AP), Huntelaar (20G 48AP), Schweinsteiger (11G 50AP), Walcott (10G, 40AP)

Memorable game(s):

Premier League away to Southampton: 3-0 to Southampton after 17 minutes and still 3-0 at half time. Incredible second half performance with goals from Jo (2), M Torres and Walcott saw us walk away with the unlikely win.

Comments:

The league is ours and we ended up winning by 11 points over Arsenal (who we beat 4-1 at home and 2-0 away). We now have a squad capable of winning the league but need to improve depth to be strong in the cups too. Losing to Milan on away goals was unfortunate as we had beaten them home and away in the group stages. Still 4 games against them and they couldn't beat us once so that's respectable. Losing to Newcastle in the league cup was weird - we played awfully and were outclassed on the day. Jo and Huntelaar did great together and Walcott was at their heels all season. Van Der Vaart had a disappointing season and I will be expecting much more from him. Selling Love was tough but when I had the opportunity to obtain Huntelaar he was the odd man out. Bojan & Sturridge had solid seasons on loan to Premiership teams. All in all very happy with the season. CHAMPIONS!!!

Season: 2009/2010 (3)

Notable transfers in: Diego £21M, Van Der Vaart £17M, Huntelaar £9M, Kalou free, Mikel free, Dos Santos free, Sahin free, Burdisso free, Traore free, Schweinsteiger free, Pique free, M Torres free, Walcott free.

Notable transfers out: Mascherano £8M, Love £7M, Elano £6.75M, Flamini £4M, Bojinov £3.8M, Isaksson £3.8M, Porritt £3.7M, Wheater £3.7M, Caicedo £3.4M, Prieto £3.1M.

Premier League: Winners (W 26 D 7 L 5 F 85 A 34)

Champions League: Quarter Final (Away goals vs Milan)

FA Cup: 5th round (2-3 Liverpool A AET, replay)

League Cup: 4th round (0-2 Newcastle A)

Squad:

G Akinfeev/Schmeichel/Hart

DR Richards/Onuoha

DL M Torres/Traore

DC Burdisso/Naldo/Pique

DC Corluka/Senderos

MC Van Der Vaart/Johnson/Mikel

MC Diego/Sahin

ML Schweinsteiger/Dos Santos/Petrov

MR Ribery/Kalou

F Huntelaar/Castillo

F Jo/Walcott

Best performers: Jo (Premier Division player of the year and 25 goals). Walcott (Premier Division young player of the year), Akinfeev (43 conceded in 50 AP), Corluka (best defender).

Top scorers: Jo (25G 46AP), Huntelaar (20G 48AP), Schweinsteiger (11G 50AP), Walcott (10G, 40AP)

Memorable game(s):

Premier League away to Southampton: 3-0 to Southampton after 17 minutes and still 3-0 at half time. Incredible second half performance with goals from Jo (2), M Torres and Walcott saw us walk away with the unlikely win.

Comments:

The league is ours and we ended up winning by 11 points over Arsenal (who we beat 4-1 at home and 2-0 away). We now have a squad capable of winning the league but need to improve depth to be strong in the cups too. Losing to Milan on away goals was unfortunate as we had beaten them home and away in the group stages. Still 4 games against them and they couldn't beat us once so that's respectable. Losing to Newcastle in the league cup was weird - we played awfully and were outclassed on the day. Jo and Huntelaar did great together and Walcott was at their heels all season. Van Der Vaart had a disappointing season and I will be expecting much more from him. Selling Love was tough but when I had the opportunity to obtain Huntelaar he was the odd man out. Bojan & Sturridge had solid seasons on loan to Premiership teams. All in all very happy with the season. CHAMPIONS!!!

Your doing very well! I never thought i would congratulate a blue mancunian :D Some decent signings there, especially Huntelaar, he has 92 goals in 123 appearences for me in 2 and a half seasons!

Ooh, a rival supporter (Im a Man Utd fan :p ) :| Grr lol. Yeah, im enjoying your updates. it's detailed but not pages and pages so it's easy to get the jist of your season. Keep it up!

Archived