FM10 Official AGF thread; Let's bring back the smile!

Gungner

AGFlogo.png

Aarhus Gymnastikforening (AGF or AGF Aarhus) is historically one of the most successful and one of the oldest sport clubs in Denmark. AGF is best known for its football team which has the longest streak in the Danish top division and also holds the record for most number of cup wins. However, the club has struggled with poor results and a string of bad management decisions since its impressive 1995-96 season, where they won the cup and finished 2nd in the league, and was finally relegated to the second division in 2006. After only one season in that division, however, they secured promotion to the Danish Superliga for the 2007-2008 season.

The club is located in Aarhus, Denmark.

With a population of around 250.000, Aarhus is also Denmark's second largest city.

Aarhus is nicknamed "Smilets By" (The City of smiles), but there hasn't really been much to smile about for the city's football fans lately.

AGF has twice reached the quarter-final stage in European Cups: In 1961, losing to S.L. Benfica in the European Champion Clubs' Cup (1-4 home and 1-3 away), and in 1989, losing to FC Barcelona in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (0-1 home, 0-0 away).

In the 1996-1997 season, AGF managed to knock out French club Nantes from the UEFA Cup. After a 2-2 draw at home, they won 1-0 in France. They were knocked out themselves the following round to FC Twente of Holland on away goals, after a 0-0 draw in Holland and a 1-1 draw at home.

AGF has played a total of 52 matches in European Cups: 18 matches in the former European Champion Clubs' Cup, 18 in the Cup-Winners’ Cup (a Danish club record), 14 in the UEFA Cup and two preliminary round matches for the UEFA Cup.

Football Manager Info

Nation – Denmark

League – Danish Superliga

Year Founded - 1880

Status - Professional

Reputation – National

Chairman Status – Happy to stay

Legends – Aage Rou Jensen, John Stampe

Icons – Jan Halvor Halvorsen, Brian Steen-Nielsen, Martin Jørgensen, Håvard Flo, Marc Rieper, Peter Rudbæk, Stig Tøfting, Troels Rasmuseen, Søren Andersen

Favoured Personnel – Leon Andreasen, Peter Graulund, Mads Jørgensen, Michael Lumb, Steffen Rasmussen, Morten Rasmussen

Fierce Rivals – Brøndby, Randers FC

Other Rivals – AaB, FC Midtjylland, Aarhus Fremad, Silkeborg, Brabrand, Viby, Aabyhøj

Finances – Okay

Average Ticket Price - £15.10

Average Season Ticket Price - £193

Season Ticket Holders – 2000

Estimated Value - £7M

Continental Competition – None

Media Prediction – 6th

Training Facilities – Average Training Facilities

Youth Facilities – Average Youth Facilities

Transfer Budget – £0

Wage Budget – £59K (Top half finish) to £63K (Winner) (currently spending £60,097)

Stadium – NRGi Park (Capacity: 20,200 all-seater)

Squad Analysis:

Goalkeepers:

1. Steffen Rasmussen – The definite number one and team captain. He is the best keeper in the squad, and should be the one you pick to be your goalkeeper. Was recently named the 7th best keeper in the league out of the 12 league keepers. Not very flattering, but he can do the job, and can be trusted as your last line of defense.

23. Anders Rasmussen – Third choice goalkeeper. You should look to offload him as soon as possible, as he does not have the skills to play in the top league. Maybe loan him out, as it can be difficult to find buyers.

31. Jesper Rask – Should be your back-up to Steffen Rasmussen. He’s not the best keeper in the game, but he should be able to do a decent job when called upon. I would look to get an experienced keeper in as back-up though, and demote Rask to third choice.

Thoughts: Like said, maybe look to bring in an experienced goalkeeper as backup, and let Rask play in the second division with the reserves. But it’s not a must, as other areas needs to be strengthened more than your keepers.

Defenders:

2. Frederik Krabbe – Should be your starting right back, and at only 21 years of age he has the future ahead of him. Can be played centrally, but has his strengths in going forward and should start comfortably on the right for years to come.

3. Mark Howard – The former Manchester United player is out for 7 to 8 months at the start of the game, which ofcourse means you won’t be able to use him for quite some time. When he is fit though, he should be the rock of your defense and should play every single time.

16. Dan Thomassen – Should be one of your two starting centre backs. He has plenty of experience, having played in Italy and Norway, and is a great weapon to have on corner kicks. Has just come back from an eleven month injury, which is great news.

19. Jens Gjesing – Is probably most famous for scoring three own goals in three consecutive matches, but the young Dane is good prospect. He should be benched though, as he’s not good enough for a regular spot. Can play defensive midfield, which is where he does play irl.

20. Dennis Cagara – New signing, and your starting left back. Cagara comes from FC Nordsjælland, but before that he played in Germany’s Hertha Berlin. Has good pace and natural fitness, which makes him a great addition to the squad, and he should be starting on the left back.

27. Anders Kure – Young back-up to the central defense. Has been known to be a little too aggressive, which has cost him a few red cards. You should play him in Howard’s absence, at least until you get in another defender. May not have the best of stats, but can be decent when called upon.

Thoughts: You definitely need to get a new central defender in, be it on loan or permanently. With only three fit people to play that position and two of them is below average, you need one desperately. You could go for Richie de Laet from Man Utd on loan, as he would be perfect. Dorian Dervite from Tottenham is another good and young option.

Midfielders:

7. Stephan Petersen – New signing who can play on either flank. Although he is pretty fast for the league, he should only be a substitute, with Jørgensen and Poulsen on the two wings. If you sell Poulsen though, he is good enough on the wing until you can buy someone else.

10. Martin Jørgensen – Jørgensen joined AGF in January 2010 on a free transfer from Fiorentina in pursuit of more playing time. He is the star of the squad, and though injury prone and 33 years old, he is a vital part in trying to get a decent league finish. He should also be your vice-captain. He has great crossing skills, but is quite slow for a winger. Even though your assistant will recommend playing him on the left wing, he does perform better as an AMC playmaker.

14. Jakob Poulsen – Another star player, who is vital for your quest for success. Be warned though, you will most likely find it impossible to keep him as interest from abroad is through the roof. If you do manage to keep him, he should be played out on the right (although he can play every midfield position available except defensive).

17. Benny Feilhaber – The American international should play safely in the middle of the park, with a few forward runs, possibly as the creative brain on the pitch. Interest in Feilhaber is also high, but he should be easier to keep around than Poulsen. His natural fitness is through the floor and like Jørgensen, he is quite injury prone. Look to bring in a decent back-up for the central midfield.

21. Jerry Lucena – The little man should play comfortably besides Feilhaber in the central of the park, as the more defensive of the two. While Feilhaber should go forward from time to time, keep Lucena back as he does his best work there.

25. Kasper Povlsen – Young and still learning. Should be fourth choice on the central area, and probably would do more good playing for the reserves. But keep an eye on him, as he usually progresses quite nicely, and could very well force himself into the team along the way.

30. Davit Devdariani – The young Georgian should be back-up to Feilhaber, and along the way challenge him for a place in the team. I would play him whenever Feilhaber or Lucena is not available, as he is not that bad. Could easily turn into a great player. So keep him around for a few seasons and see where he goes.

Thoughts: You need to get another central midfielder in. Vurnon Anita from Ajax is available on loan and should do a great job. Danny Holla from Groningen is also available on loan and can like Anita do a good job. Look into both of them.

Strikers:

9. Dioh Williams – The Liberian international, should be played as a supporting striker, as he often goes down the pitch to get the ball. He has great pace and dribbling skills, but is not so good in the teamwork department. He should be played regularly though as he is one of the best players at the club.

11. Peter Graulund – What he lacks in height, he makes up for in fight. Graulund can be trusted to fight for his team all the time. Should probably be played as a poacher, as he loves to try and beat the offside trap, and always seem to stand at the right place in front of goal. Graulund and Williams should be your partnership in front.

32. Sanel Kapidzic – The young Bosnian is just on the verge of a first team breakthrough, having just scored his first goal IRL. In FM though, he is nothing more of a back-up, but at only 19 he can definitely improve and become at valuable member of the first team.

Thoughts: Three strikers in the first team and two of them are out injured. No need to say that this is an area where you need to improve. Arnar Smarason from Heerenveen can be loaned in and is a good back-up option. Danjiel Subotic from Portsmouth can also be loaned in and should provide good cover. Look into them both.

Youngsters to look out for:

Alexander Jackson Møller, Razak Salifu, Dennis Høegh

The best formation with the squad you have at your disposal is a flat 4-4-2, maybe a try a diamond midfield.

I would line up like this:

S Rasmussen – Krabbe, Cagara, Thomassen, Kure – Poulsen, Jørgensen, Feilhaber, Lucena – Williams, Graulund.

Krabbe and Cagara should be set as supporting, to make use of the attacking skills. Thomassen and Kure should be kept as defensive. In midfield, set Lucena as the defensive one with Feilhaber as the supporting one. On the flanks, Jørgensen and Poulsen should be set to attacking, which will give you loads of chances. In attack, use Williams as a supporting striker and Graulund as either a poacher or targetman.

So come on everyone, experience the thrill of managing in Denmark and try to bring glory back to AGF. With no money to spend, and already over the wage budget, it should be an interesting challenge. I hope to see a few more AGF players in here, as it really is a good challenge and great fun to play with AGF.

I started my AGF save about a week ago and have loved every minute of it, after 6 league games i am tied at the top with Aab on 15pts. Peter Graulund has been a goal machine before picking up a small injury. Poulsen has been incredible averaging 7.78 a few clubs have sniffed around him but no offer as of yet. here are my transfers http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/brady119/AarhusGymnastikForening.png. Tried to stick to scandinavian youngsters but couldnt resist Gorgelin. Highlight of the season so far a 7 nil away win to fc nordsjaelland which led to this http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/brady119/AndersEriksen.png. I really would recommend starting a save with AGF :)

• 1 month later...

Great topic, which helped a bit.

I've just finished my first season as AGF, and as a dedicated fan of the club, I took a slightly different route than suggested here.

Easily the biggest problem in AGF is the economy: It sucks, so it needs fixing. The first thing I did was sell Jakob Poulsen for 30 million DKK (offer to clubs) and Dioh Williams as well for peanuts (4.5 million DKK, also as offer). That removes two of the largest salery burdens from your team and should give you around 5 million DKK to shop around with.

I then picked up striker Allison from Corinthians for 850K, Stanton Fredericks from Pierikos for 300K, Nicolai Larsen from Lyngby on a free (arrives Jan 1st 2010, looks a good youth keeper), Diogo from Fluminese for 3,5 million and finally the youth keeper Luís Guliherme from Botofoga for 15K (arrives summer 2010).

I played a controlling 4-3-1-2 in games I know I can beat the opposision, looking like this:

Staff (Steffen Rasmussen)

Krabbe - Thomassen - Kure/Howard - Cagara

Fredericks - Povlsen/Feilhaber - Stephan Petersen

Devdariani/Jørgensen

Allison - Graulund/Kapidzic

Alternatively, for a defensive approach, I set up a 4-2-1-2-1 formation, usually looking like this:

Staff

Krabbe - Thomassen - Kure/Howard - Cagara

Gjesing/Lucena - Povlsen

Feilhaber/Devdariani/Jørgensen

Fredericks - Petersen

Allison/Graulund/Sanel

I won the championship fairly comfortably by Danish standards (after 30 rounds) and I suggest having these players in your team, at least with my transfer strategy (you'll have to search the youth team):

GK: Staff, Anders Rasmussen

DR: Krabbe, Alexander Jackson Møller

DL: Cagara, Mikkel Kirkeskov

DC: Thomassen, Kure, Howard, Gjesing (though I primarily use him as a DM, which is his original position IRL)

DM: Kasper Povlsen, Jerry Lucena, Diogo (and Gjesing)

MR: Fredericks, Feilhaber (I prefer him centrally, though)

ML: Stephan Petersen, Martin Jørgensen

MC/AMC: Devdariani, Kasper Sloth

FC/ST: Allison, Peter Graulund, Sanel Kapidzic, Dennis Høegh

I think that should cover it. The reason why this can work well with both formations is that several players at the club can play multiple positions.

Stephan Petersen is both MR and ML, Jørgensen plays the entire midfield, Feilhaber has MC and MR, Alexander Jackson Møller is DC and DR, Gjesing is DC, DM and MC, Lucena is DM and MC, Diogo is DM, MC and DR, Devdariani is MC, AMC and ML, Dennis Høegh is ML and FC... And I think that's it. Overall, you have versatile and cheap squad salery-wise who can rise a LOT in value.

Especially Stephan Petersen was awesome for me that season. He bagged 12 league goals and made 7 assists. I sold him to FCK for 17 million in July 2010. Allison bagged some 20 goals and is now worth 11 million, Sanel had 3 goals and 3 assists in very few matches and is now worth 7 million, devdariani has risen to 11 million, Feilhaber was worth 8,75 million, Kasper Povlsen rose to 8,25 million, Cagara to 4,25 million, Diogo to 6,25 million, Thomassen to 8,5 million, Kure to 8 million, Alexander Jackson Møller to 3,25 million, Krabbe to 8,75 million and Staff to 5 million.

Basically, by playing well my squad is worth much, much more and has a higher selling potential than ever. The championship isn't that hard to win with AGF and now I'm almost in the CHL (where I'll lose horribly if I make it). Just getting any sort of ticket to Europe can mean starting to rotate some people out and adding more quality to the squad.

Try to keep a good line of your own breed as well, since AGF is one of the top providers of Danish football talents. A future backbone with Kasper Povlsen, Sanel Kapidzic, whoever else you might wish to keep and a regen or two (depending on luck), should guarantee a Danish backbone of talents. Had you started a game before the current patch, you'd have been able to enjoy another massive AGF-talent, Michael Lumb, who now plays for Zenit.

The initial job you have to do for AGF is build up a good economy and a good bit of talents. The Danish league will probably never attract a guy like Messi but through regens and solid team development, you can probably rise to the stars eventually. The key is qualifying for Europe, and making it to the group stage in Europa League/Champion's League, where the biggest initial pile of money is.

Great topic, which helped a bit.

I've just finished my first season as AGF, and as a dedicated fan of the club, I took a slightly different route than suggested here.

Hey Zinn, you did an awesome job! League champions in the first season; that's amazing.

Could you do me a favour? I don't have my game atm, so I'd like to see all transfer-listed Scandinavians after the season... Not just the ones you can get with AGF, but all of them :) Could you make a screenshot of that?

Hey Zinn, you did an awesome job! League champions in the first season; that's amazing.

Could you do me a favour? I don't have my game atm, so I'd like to see all transfer-listed Scandinavians after the season... Not just the ones you can get with AGF, but all of them :) Could you make a screenshot of that?

Where can I find all of them? Also, I'm in August, so some might not be listed anymore. You see, FM10 is a bit slow to recognise the start of a new season in the Danish league, so it didn't officially change until about July 7th. That's no problem for other leagues but since the Danish one kicks off 10 days later, it doesn't leave much time :p

Oh yeah and a little hint for FM11: Casper Sloth is a true rising star on the team, although I'm not sure how he progresses in FM10. He can actually play quite a few places on the midfield and in 11 matches (only 4 of which he started in), he has scored two goals and made two assists. Not bad for a guy who's barely 18 years old (b-day is 26th of March 1992) :p

Where can I find all of them? Also, I'm in August, so some might not be listed anymore. You see, FM10 is a bit slow to recognise the start of a new season in the Danish league, so it didn't officially change until about July 7th. That's no problem for other leagues but since the Danish one kicks off 10 days later, it doesn't leave much time :p

Oh yeah and a little hint for FM11: Casper Sloth is a true rising star on the team, although I'm not sure how he progresses in FM10. He can actually play quite a few places on the midfield and in 11 matches (only 4 of which he started in), he has scored two goals and made two assists. Not bad for a guy who's barely 18 years old (b-day is 26th of March 1992) :p

Yeah Sloth just scored a brace against Silkeborg the other day :D

You could find them by going to Player Search>Filter>'Transfer Listed'+'Nation=Scandinavian'+'Untick the box "Filter unrealistic targets"'

Then they should show up.

How do some of the good danish prospects look like - Bashkim Kadrii in particular, but also Franck Semou, David Boysen, Kasper Schmeichel? Could you give me screenshots of them maybe?

(1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site)

Yeah Sloth just scored a brace against Silkeborg the other day :D

You could find them by going to Player Search>Filter>'Transfer Listed'+'Nation=Scandinavian'+'Untick the box "Filter unrealistic targets"'

Then they should show up.

How do some of the good danish prospects look like - Bashkim Kadrii in particular, but also Franck Semou, David Boysen, Kasper Schmeichel? Could you give me screenshots of them maybe?

(1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site)

That's a pretty ridiculous list.. And I don't even have all scandinavians loaded.

But here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/scantransfer.jpg (photobucket screwed up the picture, so take this instead: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IWAG0QYP)

It's a direct link, since it would be a bit much to have people scroll down nearly 20 screens :p

Kasper Schmeichel: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/KS.jpg

Bashkim Kadrii: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/BK.jpg

Franck Semou: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/FS.jpg

David Boysen: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/DB.jpg

Bonus info:

Christian Eriksen: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/CE.jpg

Michael Lumb: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Zinn/ML.jpg

That sure did take a lot of time to make :p

PS: I do know how to use a computer. I just wanted to see if there was another way to do it, since patching that picture up took ages, haha :D

Archived