WW's International Team Special

Walcott\'s Wonderkids

New Fantasy International Football Competitions for FM10

I have always been attracted by international football on FM10, but have often become bored after a while, possibly because of the large gaps between games and not much to do between the games.

However, with the new competition editor in FM10 I sat down for a few hours on the editor last night and today and have created 2 new fully international tournaments for my benefit, which I thought I would share. Hopefully if you like playing as solely an international manager, then these files may be of interest to you:

Latest download link is in post 4 of the thread.

International Champions League

• Comes in either the 64 or 192 team format.

The premise of this competition is vaguely similar to the club version of the Champions League. I have used the Burnei league structure (well created a top division), to allow me to create this cup competition.

In the 64 team version, international teams are put into groups of 8 nations, each team plays each other twice, with the top 2 in each group going through to the knockout stages. The last 16 teams (2Q x 8 groups), face each other in 2 legged knockout competitions.

The competition is spread over the period of August - May, with the winning international team having to play 14 group games and 7 knockout games to win the competition. This is in addition to the normal international games you play as an international side.

Sample 64 Team Groups D+E Lineup

Sample 64 Team Groups G+H Lineup

In the 192 team version, the game is a very similar concept, only 192 of the FIFA nations compete in one of 16 groups of 12 teams. You play each nation twice, with the top 2 in each group going through to the last 32 knockout competition, which uses the same format as the 64 team version.

It appears that in both versions of the game, FM automatically seeds the international teams, as I have gone through several versions and several seasons in testing this and in all cases the big teams haven't been clumped together in one group. The 192 version tournament makes for some interesting groups as well, see sample screenies below:

Sample 192 Team Group A Lineup

Sample 192 Team Group K Lineup

It is up to you which version you choose to use, the full 192 team version with more games against lesser teams, however a greater challenge depending on the team you take charge of; or the lite 64 team version with fewer variety of teams to choose from, but slightly more competitiveness in all the games.

The 64 teams have primarily been based upon reputation of international sides in FM10, but I have included China and New Zealand instead of a couple of smaller European nations to create more variety.

International Knockout Cup

• Play as one of 204 FIFA nations (normal limitations of if nation can be playable apply) in an old fashioned knockout competition.

In this competition, using the Wallis & Furtuna nation as its nominal base, this is a straightforward knockout competition, no seeding, one legged games.... think the FA Cup but going to extremes... this tournament could create 1st round games such as American Samoa v France or alternatively Brazil v Argentina.

In the latest test run Italy won the competition in the 1st season, beating Spain in the Final. However, in the 2nd season Mali beat Angola in the Final, which just shows the potential unpredictability of this competition!!

Sample 1st Round Results

Sample 2nd Round Draw

What I have found is that FM10 works around the existing international games for nations, so whilst I have tried to minimise any potential clashes through manual setting of round dates, where there could have been clashes, fixtures were rearranged, which is a very good sign. :thup:

I have tested both competitions, working at the same time for 2 seasons and no issues have appeared.

Points to note

I have noted the following points that you may wish to bear in mind when using these data files:

1. On the tournament pages themselves, no fixtures are shown. However, if you go to a particular international team and view their fixtures, the complete set of fixtures are available for you to view. This is just a presentational issue and doesn't affect the stability of the game.

Player & team stats appear as normal.

2. I have not tried this out in conjunction with running normal domestic clubs leagues as yet (ie: Loading the English Premiership at the same time as Brunei and Wallis & Furtuna). I would advise playing these competitions as a short term game, just focussing on international management, however if you wish to use this alongside a domestic club career, you may potentially experience issues with players being away on international duty regularly.

I would imagine the issues with the "Knockout Cup" format to have less of an impact as the "Champions League" competition. This is why I split the competitions between 2 nations, incase you only want to utilise one of the these competitions.

If you decide to download the file, I would recommend the following custom tweaks to the database size. I have also run a large database. You may wish of course to add all players from whichever nation you choose to play with:

Recommended Database Size & Additions

Note:

I have set up a challenge in the CSE forum in relation to this database file. Without trying to advertise other threads of mine own, if you could let me know of your games / careers with this file then that would be greatly appreciated. :thup:

The CSE challenge can be found here: WW's International Team Challenge

Enjoy! :)

Please do not repost this file on other forums without my permission please.

This looks great - just one question how well does this run in conjunction with the pre-loaded international competitions? Will the World Cup, Euro Cup etc still run?

EDIT: Never mind just found the answer in another thread that they will all run ok - thanks!

Yeah as you said, the pre loaded competitions like the World Cup and African Nations still run, but they FM10 prevents any fixture clashes or unreasonable fixture congestion. :thup:

New download link: http://www.filefront.com/14888835/International-Football-Special-v3.rar/

Due to an issue with disciplinary bans, meaning a player becoming suspended was suspended for the rest of the competition in that season, the following changes have been made to reduce the impact of this:

A player will become suspended after picking up 5 yellow cards in that competition, delayed for 21 days from the date of the 5th yellow.

A player will become suspended after picking up a red card.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, id been trying on this since the day i bought the game, i really2 wanted to create International league.. so i started small by just using asian nation. BUT, i have a problem, everytime i load the db, 10 nation that in world cup qualifying is not in the game, instead it get replaced by bruneian club (yes, i use brunei too =D) the same problem i have with african nation.. The rest of the world is fine. I saw your league, and u could have south korea n african team like ghana without it replacing itself with the local club. Another thing, even without these national team, i couldn't go on even to next season, it just crashes somewhere in june.. so how did you do it?? help me?? been trying too long, wasting life in trial and error and reading forum where people doesnt help at all..

thankss...

HI, id been trying on this since the day i bought the game, i really2 wanted to create International league.. so i started small by just using asian nation. BUT, i have a problem, everytime i load the db, 10 nation that in world cup qualifying is not in the game, instead it get replaced by bruneian club (yes, i use brunei too =D) the same problem i have with african nation.. The rest of the world is fine. I saw your league, and u could have south korea n african team like ghana without it replacing itself with the local club. Another thing, even without these national team, i couldn't go on even to next season, it just crashes somewhere in june.. so how did you do it?? help me?? been trying too long, wasting life in trial and error and reading forum where people doesnt help at all..

thankss...

Have a look at the following thread my friend, it helped me find out how to make national team competitions in the first place. :thup:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=160811&highlight=nations

The only additional tip I would have is make sure you base the competition in a Non-FIFA member nation and don't load up any other leagues from other countries when you are using the database. :thup:

gee.. thanks aloot.. =D

Have a look at the following thread my friend' date=' it helped me find out how to make national team competitions in the first place. :thup:

[url']http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=160811&highlight=nations[/url]

The only additional tip I would have is make sure you base the competition in a Non-FIFA member nation and don't load up any other leagues from other countries when you are using the database. :thup:

Why not? does it crash?

and doesn't that prevent any new regens for the national sides?

Why not? does it crash?

and doesn't that prevent any new regens for the national sides?

Well if you load up the English premier league and the international team addon, you will find that any English team's international players are almost permanently on international duty, thus for quite a lot of teams, they won't have half their players available to them.

I haven't really tried out that option, but I would imagine it would makes things unnecessarily complicated. :)

Don't know about the regen side of things, but my addon was primarily based for use over a 2-3 season period, so regens wouldn't really be featuring in your team anyway (bar perhaps some of the minnow nations).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived