FM10: Official Empoli Thread - Promotion? Easy!

Deisler26

500px-Empoli_FC_logo.svg.png

Empoli FC was formed in 1920 in a Tuscany town of only 45,000 inhabitants, but didn't play their first game until 1921. Empoli's history was relatively obscure before the 1980s when they attained Serie B status. In 1986, they managed the remarkable feat for a small-town club of promotion to Serie A. Playing their first few home games in Florence, they managed to avoid relegation with only 23 points and 13 goals scored in 30 games. Empoli would receive a 5-point penalty the following season and would be relegated despite an improved showing. They then exploded from obscurity in the mid-90's, winning the Serie C1 Cup and gaining successive promotions from Serie C1 to Serie A. They have yo-yo'd recently between Serie's A & B. Promoted in 2002 and 2005, Empoli were relegated to Serie B in 2008 despite having qualified for Europe in the previous two seasons. Their first European adventure actually never materialised due to the club's failure to apply for a UEFA licence in order to play.

Notable Ex-players: Gianluca Berti (GK), Massimo Maccarone (ST), Antonio Di Natale (AML/ST), Sergio Almiron (AMC)

Formed: 1920

Chairman: Will listen to offers

Manager: Salvatore Campilongo

Fierce Rivals: Pistolese

Other Rivals: Siena, Luchese, Fiorentina, AC Milan

Affiliates: Juventus (Parent), Massese, Cuoiovaldano, Prato, Tivoli (Feeder)

Media Prediction: 4th

Squad Personality: Professional

Club Captain: Ighli Vannucchi

Transfer Budget: 600k

Training Facilites: Average

Youth Facilities: Good

Playing Staff

GK Davide Bassi (24)

GK Renato Dossena (22)

DRC Simone Iacoponi (22)

DRLC Andrea Cupi (33)

DC Adam Kokoszka (22)

D/WBL Vittorio Tosto (34)

D/WBR Alessandro Vinci (21)

D/WBR Angelo Antonazzo (27) on loan from Chievo Verona

DM/MC Francesco Marianini (30)

MLC Nikola Gulan (20) on loan from Fiorentina

AMRL Pietro De Giorgio (26)

AMRC Ighli Vannucchi (31) *star player

AML Marco Mancosu (20) on loan from Cagilari

AMLC Mirko Valdifiori (23)

AM/FC Christian Pasquato (19) on loan from Juventus

FC Eder (22) *star player

ST Christian Ceasaretti (22)

ST Claudio Coralli (26)

ST Salvatore Caturano (19)

ST Luca Saudati (31)

Important players on loan

DRC Felice Piccolo (25) on loan at Chievo. (Future fee = £3.2m)

MC Davide Moro (27) on loan at Livorno (Future fee = £1m)

AMR Francesco Lodi (25) on loan at Udinese (Future fee = £4.8m)

ST Levan Mchedlidze (19) on loan at Palermo (Future fee = £4.8m)

ST Nicola Pozzi (23) on loan at Sampdoria (Future fee = £3.2m)

Advised Starting Formations

4-2-2-2, 4-4-2, 4-5-1

Hi everyone and welcome to my Empoli thread for FM2010. After last season’s disappointment in being unable to gain promotiion, this is our year! You’ll take over one of the youngest squads in Serie B and one a little lacking in talent too with the brief of getting promotion in your first season. The star players are the club captain Ighli Vannucchi and striker Eder. However Vannucchi is getting on a bit so might need replacing after a season. You’ll also need two DC’s and two DM/MC’s to fully round out the team.

A lot of the team’s talent are on loan to Serie A clubs and are written off for the season. Hopefully, they’ll all come back at the end of the season, but be prepared to lose Davide Moro as his value is more than his future fee. Every player noted above would improve the squad immeasurably.

Well, all that’s left to say is good luck and hope you enjoy the challenge of the best team in Serie B to glory!

As I'm just using the demo atm, I'll post on a month-by-month basis.

July

Board

Board want promotion this year, 4th place or higher. They've given me a £600k budget to do it with. This will require a lot of financial jiggery-pokery.

Team

No major problems this month, however a new loan signing went down with fractured ribs for 4-5 weeks which is a kick in the teeth really. I'm running with a rigid defensive 4-5-1 counter-attacking formation with the middle 3 all being defensive midfielders. The right wing playing as an advanced playmaker and the front man as a poacher.

Transfers In

The focus was to bring in some DM/MC's to fill the holes in the squad. D/WBL Matteo Rubin came in for £140k from Torino, much to the annoyance of the Toro fans. ST Ebi Smolarek came in on a free transfer as cover and competition for Eder. Also DM/MC Diego De Ascentis came in on a free to stopper up the hole in the middle. DLC Michelangelo Albertazzi came in on loan from Milan as did AMR Simone Esposito from Juventus and DM/MC Rene Krhin landed from Inter. Also I signed DC Matteo Darmian for £300k from Milan. However, he's on loan at Padova this season, so he won't appear until next season

Transfers Out

ST Claudio Coralli became a victim of my lone striker formation and was packed off to Torino for £250k. DRLC Simone Iacoponi was sold to Pro Vesto for £20k and MC Gianluca Mussacci went for £20k to Carrarese.

Results

A 0-0 draw against Prato was disappointing to start off my friendlies. However we were struggling to adapt to the new formation and we ended up spurning many opportunites. The second game was a 5-0 win over Massese. Eder opened the scoring on 42 mins, then the rest of my strikers got in on the act with Smorlarek, Luca Saudati and Salvatore Caturano all netting, with a penalty from Ighli Vannucchi rounding it all off!

OK, take two...

July

Board

Board want promotion this year, 4th place or higher. They've given me a £600k budget to do it with. This will require a lot of financial jiggery-pokery.

Team

No major problems this month. Have started with a counter-attacking 4-4-2 with a ball-winning midfielder and deep-lying playmaker in the middle.

Transfers In

I signed DRL Fabrizio Cacciatore from Sampdoria for £90k and D/WBL Matteo Rubin came in for £250k from Torino, much to the annoyance of the Toro fans. Coming into the club on a co-ownership was GK Andrea Seculin from Fiorentina for £250k. DLC Michelangelo Albertazzi came in on loan from Milan as did DM/MC Rene Krhin from Inter and GK Mario Kirev and AML Fausto Rossi, both from Juventus. Final loan signing of the month was ST Denis Alibec from Inter. Also I signed DC Matteo Darmian for £300k from Milan. However, he's on loan at Padova this season, so he won't appear until next season. I managed all this at £735 under budget too. Acecakes.

Transfers Out

ST Claudio Coralli became a victim of my impatience and was packed off to Torino for £250k. DRLC Simone Iacoponi was sold to Pro Vasto for £20k, ST Luca Saudati went for £700k to Modena and GK Davide Bassi went for £975k to Man City

Results

A 1-1 draw against Prato was disappointing to start off my friendlies. However we were struggling to adapt to the new formation and we ended up spurning many opportunites. The conceded goal was because of a keeper error, but due to injuries and player sales, he was the (hopefully) fourth choice keeper. The second game was a 6-0 win over Massese which seemed to work quite well.

Thats a known bug - Big teams buying very average Goal Keepers.

I would recomend buying Simon Nel Nerro (£500K), Fabirizio Zambrella (Free) and also trying to get Ivan Radovanovic on loan. Diego De Ascenti is also a very good free singing to make and Marek Nikl (£190K) will help sort the defense out.

I've left 4231 and am now trying 451, only because I can't seem to fit Vannucchi into a 442. With 4231 I did very well in pre-season and the Cup games, won the first league match 6-0 but then lost 4 in a row. Hopefully a 451 should be tighter at the back.

Thats a known bug - Big teams buying very average Goal Keepers.

I would recomend buying Simon Nel Nerro (£500K), Fabirizio Zambrella (Free) and also trying to get Ivan Radovanovic on loan. Diego De Ascenti is also a very good free singing to make and Marek Nikl (£190K) will help sort the defense out.

I've left 4231 and am now trying 451, only because I can't seem to fit Vannucchi into a 442. With 4231 I did very well in pre-season and the Cup games, won the first league match 6-0 but then lost 4 in a row. Hopefully a 451 should be tighter at the back.

I'm running with Vannucchi as an attacking midfielder on the right wing.

With Marianini as a ball winning MC and Rene Krhin as a deep lying playmaker MC.

August

Board

Board seems happy enough with my results, apart from the Italian Cup performance

Team

No injuries or problems.

Transfers In

GK Marco Storari came in from AC Milan for £350k to replace Bassi. MC Daniel Wolf was signed for £60k from Piacenza as someone who can be trained into covering Marianini. Coming in on loan were DM/MC Daniel Kofi Agyei from Fiorentina and ST Cheikh Gueye from Siena.

Transfers Out

MC Gabrielle Angella left the club for £40k to Celano. ST Denis Albec was sent back to his club, due to the emergence of Nicolao Dumitru

Results

Friendly-wise, we lost 3-2 to Atletico Madrid, drew 1-1 with Benevento and beat Cuoiovaldarno 3-0. S.P.A.L were dispatched 5-1 in the Italian Cup 2nd Round with a hat-trick from Nicolao Dumitru and two from Eder. This was even better, because I forgot to tick the 'can play in cup games' on all my loans, so I had 6 ineligible players and only 3 subs... I then lost on pens after a 1-1 draw to Rimini in the 3rd round, again through sheer lack of talent available.

In the league, a disappointing 2-2 draw with Frosinone wasn't the best start, a rocket from Francesco Marianini and a tap in from Eder put us 2-1 up, only to concede a penalty in the 85th min!!. The next game was a 3-0 stroll against Padova with Eder getting a hat-trick.

September

Board

New board in, but they don't have deep pockets as they have made it known that no further investment will be made at this point.

Team

Rene Krhin was out for 3 weeks, so it required a shuffle of personnel. The formation requires a little work as we've conceded two goals this season from centre-backs just stopping and allowing the opposing striker a free run. This is WITHOUT the 'Play Offside Trap' ticked.

Transfers In

None

Transfers Out

None

Results

A typical 1-0 FM defeat against Sassulo was the result in our first game after the international break. We hit every part of the woodwork, outshot them 15-4 and still lost. Luckily, that was followed by a good 2-0 win over promotion rivals Torino. A 2-1 win against Piacenza and a 2-2 draw with Cittadella meant that we were in 4th. However, we blew all our good work with a terrible performance in a 3-1 beating at the hands of Mantova.

October

Board

The board are delighted that I've come out and stated that I'm not interested in the newly-vacant Brescia chair

Team

Just the odd injury or two to continue to make me shuffle around the players.

Transfers In

None

Transfers Out

None

Results

A mixed bag this month. From the highs of a 3-1 win against Gallipoli to the crushing lows of a 2-1 defeat to Reggina, who scored with an Insua-esque rocket by their left-back. A 2-1 win against Vicenza and a 2-2 draw at league leaders Modena completed the month. The Modena draw was annoying as I'd gone 2-0 up in 6 minutes and ex-player and still Empoli favourite, Luca Saudati, scored both to bring it level. Git.

November

Board

The board are now disappointed with my performance this season as we sit in 9th place

Team

Again, just the odd injury or two to continue to make me shuffle around the players. However D/WBL Vittorio Tosto has come out and said he's unhappy with the current regime.

Transfers In

None

Transfers Out

None

Results

An better than average month for Empoli, as we took home 9 out of 12 points. Wins against Triestina (2-1), AlbinoLeffe (1-0) and Ascoli (3-1) were offset by a 1-0 defeat to Grossetto. Much in the same way as a pair of wellies offsets a £2,500 evening gown...

December

Board

The board are nowhappy as we clawed up to 3rd (there's only about 6 points between us and 11th!!)

Team

No problems this month, be it squad, monetary or morale. A lot of my best loaned out players were signed up to new contracts. Eder has hit 18 goals in 20 games so far!!

Transfers In

None

Transfers Out

MC Gianluca Mussacci went for £40k to Carresse

Results

Won 2 out of 3 games this month. 4-1 against Ancona and 2-0 against Salernitana. Cesena escaped with a 3-3 draw

I picked up the full version yesterday, so..

3rd September 2009 - End of August transfer window

Board

Board want promotion this year, giving me a £600k transfer budget and £5k leeway on wages. However, chairman Fabrizio Corsi is looking at selling up soon.

Team

Playing with the same 4-4-2 formation, I used in the demo. No complaints from the team as of yet and I completely gutted the backroom staff and recruited all new ones. The rubbish Ass Man is on mega wages til 2014, so I can't kick his ass out :( Signed up 3 loaned out players up to new contracts. Also cancelled 3 out of 4 feeder club links, then added another to Conquense, a Spanish B2 club. Also jacked in Juventus as my parent club and added AS Roma

Transfers In

First in was GK Marco Storari for £350k from AC Milan. Then came DM/MC Rene Krhin for £375k from Inter. AMRL Andy Van Der Meyde and DC Alessandro Ianniciello came in on free transfers, then came 4 big signings; DC Solvi Ottesen for £850k from SonderjyskE, AMLC/FC Johan Absalonsen for £1m from Odense, GK Silviu Lung Jr for £625k from U. Craiova and finally AML/FC Andreas Laudrup for £650k for FC Nordsjaelland.

Loan-wise, I decimated my parent club Roma's reserve team for ML Adrian Pit, DC Sebastien Mladen, D/WBL Antunes and GK Daniel Pena. Also coming in on loan were DLC Michelangelo Albertazzi from AC Milan, ST Cheikh Gueye from Parma and DM/MC Jose Manuel Rueda from Barcelona. All in all, I spent £4m

Transfers Out

Mainly deadwood shifting time, with ST Claudio Coralli packed off to Modena for £375k. DRC Simone Iacoponi was sold for £40k to Pro Vasto. San Marino kindly took MC's Gabriele Angella and Gianluca Musacci for £80k combined. Big departures were GK Davide Bassi for £1m to Lecce, AMRC Ighli Vannucchi for £1.6m to Catania and ST Luca Saudati for £1m to AlbinoLeffe. This brought £4.1m into the club coffers.

Results

A 50/50 split in friendly results with 6-0 wins against Massese and Cuoiovaldarno tempered by a 3-0 defeat to Udinese and a 7-0 hiding against Barcelona

In the Italian Cup, my demo 'curse' struck again. A solid 1-0 victory against Cittadella in the second qualifying round led to a third round tie against Triestina. Last 3 attempts on the demo were defeats, two on pens with decimated teams, one just 1-0 after 3 sendings off for me. This was again proving to be a bridge too far as my tactics failed just once, allowing them to score and then my makeshift centre-back, Angelo Antonazzo was sent off, straight red, in the 24th minute. We battled hard, hit the bar twice and generally couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a bass-fiddle.

League-wise, we took on recently-relegated Lecce in our first game and triumphed 4-2, the last goal being a Davide Bassi OG *snigger*. The second game was a grinding 1-0 win over Sassulo. I'm currently running 3rd.

31st December 2009 - End of the year report

Board

They're just satisfied so far. Corsi wants out of the club and a takeover failed over the valuation. They feel selling Gabriele Angella was a bad mistake... This being a player that would NEVER have made my side.

Team

We've been remarkably settled, however there is a lack of cover in the deep-lying playmaker position when Rene Krhin has been injured/banned. Andy Van Der Meyde has been the player most missing due to injury, but even then, 5 games max! Eder is top scorer with 12, then Gueye with 11 and then Antunes and Van Der Meyde with 5.

Transfers In

During the first part of the season, I arranged deals for Brazilian D/WB/AML Kaue from Konyaspor, I'm pretty sure he won't be able to come, but I'll re-negotiate for next season! Also incoming is AMC Jorge Saez from Rayo Vallecano for £7.5k and MC Luca Ficarrotta for £50k from Juventus. Finally, a big deal for AMRL/ ST Niklas Barkroth from IFK Gothenburg for £850k.

Transfers Out

None as yet

Results

In the league, we are currently 1st and unbeaten with a 14-6-0 record. Highlights are a 4-0 win vs Frosinone, wins over all the relegated teams (4-2 vs Lecce, 2-1 vs Reggina and 3-1 vs Torino) and a stunning 3-2 comeback win against AlbinoLeffe after being 2-0 at half-time! Lowlights are the draws mainly. Too many against lower teams, culminating in a run of two; A 1-1 draw with Triestina (who I still can't bloody beat!!!) and a 2-2 draw with Padova. :(

What tactics are you using?

I have just started again as I had spelt my own name wrong, don't ask....

This time I've rebuilt the squad more than I would have normaly in the 1st season.

Players in -> De Ascenti (DMC/MC), Marek Nikl (DC), Daniel Stuki (DL), Richard Martini (DC), Fabirizio Zambrella (MR/AMR), Carlos Merino (MC), Damien Tiberi (AML), Cyril Thereau (ST) for a combined £1.5 Million.

Sold Vannucchi for £1 Million to fund the above.

As you can see I've brought in a new midfield and almost a new defense. Only Bassi, Antonazzo and Eder remain in the ast XI from the original team. All of the players have done well so far (Cup + one league game to date), but Thereau seems to be taking a while to settle.

I've gone 442 with a 343 split between Defense/Support/Attack.

I'm using a 4-4-2, with the middle being a ball-winning midfielder (Marianini) and a deep lying playmaker (Krhin)

Defensive outlook, with lots of time wasting and slightly narrow. I'll put you in the Serie B thread, feel free to visit it!

1st February 2010 - End of January transfer window

Board

They're just satisfied so far. No change from December

Team

Lost two players to suspension and three to injury, I was struggling at one point to put out a decent side.

Transfers In

Just the players I mentioned before, plus AMRL Alessio Cerci in on loan from Roma

Transfers Out

None

Results

We finally lost! 2-0 to Lecce, we were rubbish. Since then, we've drawn 3 in a row, including a bad-tempered 1-1 draw with Sassuolo, where we lost 2 players to sendings off and conceded an 85th min equaliser (

Ist June 2010 - End of 2009/10 season

Empoli are Serie B champions!

P42 W25 D11 L6 F75 A44 Pts 86

Board

Board were happy with promotion and the title win. Corsi eventually handed over control to a fans consortium who, as usual, gave no more financial input into the club. They were still sore about the Triestina cup defeat though.

Team

There were some rumblings from players about lack of game time. Most were from fringe players who didn't deserve a place, however Silviu Lung jr was complaining he had no game time during my 21-match unbeaten streak... Didn't want him to jinx Storari's run, but ended up giving him a 6 game run afterwards. Eder was top scorer for the team with 19 goals in 36 games. Loanee left-back Antunes was top rated with an average of 7.32

Transfers In

AMRLC Gabriel Ozkan came in on a free transfer and Bosman deals were struck for AMC Youssouf Hersi from AEK Athens and ST Adam Szalai from Real Madrid.

Transfers Out

AMLC Mirko Valdifiori is leaving on a Bosman for Cavese

Results

We won the title with 4 games to spare. We ended up losing another 5 games after the Lecce defeat. 3 of them were in the 4 dead rubbers at the end of the season, where I played mainly fringe and youth players.

Big wins were had against Reggina (5-0) and Torino (3-0), the last of which was in an 8 game unbeaten streak. I had two 2-2 draws (against Modena and Padova) where Eder got both. The defeats were 2-1 to Piacenza, 2-1 to Ascoli, 3-0 to AlbinoLeffe, 3-1 to Ancona and 3-0 to Mantova.

1st September 2010 - End of August transfer window

Board

Board want us to avoid relegation this year. They've given me a £12m war chest and a £200k wage budget. I can't fail... Can I?

Team

Team is pretty much settled, added a new feeder club in the shape of FC Dordrecht of Holland and sent 6 players on loan there. New batch of newgens came through, one of them, AMRC Mikkel Jaakkola is looking like he can contribute from the off! I smell wonderkid status... I added more coaches and scouts to the staff roster too. DRC Felice Piccolo was given a new contract earlier in the year and when Chievo tried to activate his loan future fee, he turned them down, saying that he wanted to remain loyal to me! :D I also won Serie B Manager Of The Year and Eder finished 3rd in Serie B Player Of The Year

Transfers In

First up, in came last season's buy, Matteo Darmian. Add to that, last season's loan star, D/WBL Antunes for £925k from Roma. He was joined by AMLC/FC Mads Laudrup for £45k from HB to join his brother and promising goalkeeper Radoslav Kotzya from Sparta Prague for £1.1m. Goalkeepers were a big feature of my free signings with Matteo Guardalben, Marco Bonassi and Austin Eijde signed. Also coming in on free's were the afore-mentioned ST Adam Szalai and AMC Youssef Hersi and AMC Federico Insua from CFJ Cluj. DLC Michelangelo Albertazzi came back on loan from AC Milan and AMC Rabiu Ibrahim from Sporting Lisbon came in on loan too.

Transfers Out

17 players were released, including MC Davide Moro, an excellent player, but one I did not have room for. ST Nicola Pozzi went to Sampdoria after they paid his future loan fee of £3.8m. AMR Gaston Brugman was co-owned by Roma for £450k and GK Silviu Lung jr went to Bordeaux for £2.5m. Finally, aging left back Vittorio Tosto left for Cesena in a £130k deal

Results

7 friendlies were played, with successive 3-0 wins against Burghausen and Osasuna B kicking us off. Then came two successive defeats, 2-1 to Leiria and 1-0 to Roma. A 5-1 decimation of Agulias was followed by a 5-0 tanking against Palermo!

Italian Cup results were a Third Round win against Torino, 4-0. The match was notable for the records set. Youngest Italian Cup/Empoli scorer, youngest Empoli player (Mikkel Jaakkola) and oldest Empoli player to appear (Matteo Guardelben).

Serie A started off in the best way possible. With a 6-1 thrashing of Siena!. Hat-trick by Eder and two from the returning AMR Francesco Lodi set the scene and a late goal by Johan Absalonen put the icing on the cake. We came back down to earth with a bump in the next game, losing 1-0 to Bologna. Despite camping in their half for 45mins, we couldn't find the finish to pull it back.

31st December 2010 - End of the year report

Board

Board are delighted with the way the team is playing atm, I'm rated as untouchable on the confidence screen and I'm happy. Only problem is the Italian Cup performances...

Team

The team is playing as normal, with a slight tweak if Rene Krhin is injured/suspended. Signing Yousseuf Hersi has been a bit of a nightmare as he's not really good enough to beat Krhin or Federico Insua into the playmaker's spot and to be honest, I'd rather have one of the newgens, DM/MC Andreas Ramberg play as a deep-lying playmaker over him. So I've transfer-listed him, along with DC Alessandro Ianniciello who was also trying to make waves. I've also taken the Finland manager's job, however getting backroom staff for them is proving a problem...

Transfers In

I've got 3 players joining me in January. ST Iker Munlain (£750k) from Athletic Bilbao is rated to have the potential to be better then Eder! DL Paolo Di Pasquale is in as cover for Antunes for £70k from Pavia and finally legendary AMC/FC, Jari Litmanen is joining on a free from Spartak Moscow, mainly as I want to have a Finnish influence for my youngsters.

Transfers Out

None as yet

Results

We're currently 11th at the break, having won 7, including a 2-1 defeat of Juventus and a 4-2 win at Palermo, drawn 2 (2-2 against Sampdoria and 1-1 against Roma) and lost 8 (mainly by one goal, excepting a 4-0 stuffing at the hands of Milan) Goals are coming easily, however clean sheets aren't and that needs addressing.

Italian Cup was an absolute disaster! We lost our fourth round qualifying match, 2-1 to Taranto, a Serie C2B side!!! I played the fringe and kids. 2 goals down in 10 mins meant I bought the big guns on and battered them for the rest of the game. Levan Mchedlidze scored, but we couldn't get the second. Andreas Ramberg was sent off as well :( The board HATED that...

Hurrah!!

SquadSeason2.jpg

Is the starting formation and tactic (and the abomination of a team that lost to Taranto)

Teaminstructions.jpg

Is the team instructions

The team reads as

GK Default

DR Full Back - Defend

DL Full Back - Defend

DC Central Defender - Defend

DC Central Defender - Defend

MR Winger - Attack

ML Winger - Attack

MC Ball-winning Midfielder - Defend

MC Deep-lying playmaker - Support

ST - Target Man - Support

ST - Poacher - Attack

Well I've called it a day again. I'vw tried everything I've learnt from the previous games and I still can't get anywhere. Before I gave up I have won 1, lost 1 and Drawn 8.

So I've decied (again) to go back to a York City game as I know the players far better. Still I had some fun with Empoli amd will looking out for their R/L results. AZ Alkmaar where my team of FM09 and look what happened to them....

I'm going to start updating each month, simply as I want to get more detail into these posts.

1st February 2011 - End of January transfer window

Board

Board are still delighted with my leadership qualities. Again, mainly due to the massive wage budget gap. Job status is untouchable still. They believe the fans are still annoyed at me selling Vittorio Tosto, however he's not been exactly ripping it up at his new club so I feel justified in letting him go.

Team

The team is very, very settled, however Youssuf Hersi and Austin Eijde have been moaning about their lack of football thus far. We are conceding too many goals from outside the area, so I'll need to tweak my tactics. The defence been VERY poor this season and I'm unable to find a decent back lineup so far. Ditto with my wingers although, there is a slightly happier reason for that in that they are all performing OK, they're just victims of squad rotation. Jari Litmanen has slotted in well as a replacement for Krhin, even more than Insua.

Transfers In

Jari Litmanen, Iker Muniain and Paolo Di Pasquale all arrived as previously arranged. The only other arrival was the co-ownership of DM Christian Obodo on the last day for £1m from Lazio, simply to cover the massive talent gap between DM's Andreas Ramberg and Stefano Panarello. D/DM/MC Aylia Yussef is coming in at the end of the season on a Bosman free from Dinamo Kiev as well as D/DM/MC Sergiy Kryvtsov for £2.5million from Metalurg Zaporizhzhya simply as I've got no confidence in the defence.

Transfers Out

I shipped out AMC Youssouf Hersi to De Graafschap for £625k. He came in on a free at the beginning of the season and I considered him to be quite a coup, but he never fitted into the formation and I wasn't willing to change a tweaked formation just for one player. Same with GK Austin Eijde, he was never going to beat Storari into the #1 spot and Guardelben as backup. At the first sign of complaints, I transfer-listed him and sold him for £1m to Cremonese. Also, Stefano Panarello was co-owned by Napoli for £28k.

Results

January was a mixed month, results-wise. First up was a 2-2 draw with Livorno. Mikkel Jakkola put us one up with a headed goal, then Eder hit a placed shot to make it two. A scrappy goal by Livorno reduced the deficit and finally they scored a long-range freekick with 4 minutes remaining to salvage a 2-2 draw. Next came a 2-1 defeat away to lowly Vicenza. Levan Mchedlidze put us ahead, only for Vicenza to score two in quick succession, both from outside the area.

A 3-3 draw against hated rivals (mine, but soon Empoli's ;) ) Siena was another bad result. A sweetly struck free-kick from Jari Litmanen put us up in the 3rd minute. However, Siena hit back in the 6th to level things. They then went 2-1 up from a good break from one of our corners. Francesco Lodi levelled it up in the 20th minute with a nice finish from a deep cross. Siena then had a man sent off in the 46th minute for persistant fouling. Eder broke the offside trap and finished to put us 3-2 up, however we were again undone by a strike from 30 yards and it finished 3-3.

The disappointment of an 8 game winless streak was emphatically snapped with a resounding 4-1 win over Bologna. Levan Mchedlidze, Eder (2) and a first ever Empoli goal for Iker Muniain scored to put the gloss on a easy victory in which we didn't get even out of first gear.

A 2-0 win over bargain-basement club Sassuolo was again an easy run. Adam Szalai headed us into the lead and a less-than-full strength squad easily handled them until Jari Litmanen's cool finish made it two with 10 minutes to go.

Confidence was high going into the month ending match against Atalanta, however that was cruelly misplaced as we were thumped 4-1. Atalanta had a man sent off in the 21st minute and then scored a long range free-kick to go one up. Jari Litmanen scored via Cristiano Doni's O.G to tie it up, but as we pushed forwards, we were stung by a hat-trick on the break. All three goals were from outside the area and badly defended.

1st March 2011

Information

Backroom staff report Gabriel Ozkan is complaining about his lack of game time, I'll let that go for a while, simply as I'm rotating my wingers. DC Solvi Ottesen is stil averaging under 6 a game and nothing I can do will change that it seems. Going to have to sell him I think :(. DL Paolo Di Pasquale has done quite well since coming in and at 16, can only get better. AMRC Mikkel Jakkola got his first cap for Finland and loves me for it. Had one sending off this month and it was at the absolute worst time possible so I said in the press conference that he'd be dropped.

No transfers this month so far. Got scouts out in Scandinavia and South America. Will send out ones to Spain and France next. Gabriel Ozkan is looking like he'll be out the door at the end of the season, along with Solvi Ottesen and Andy Van Der Meyde, who I've already transfer listed.

Results

A 1-2-1 record this month, kicking off with a 2-2 draw against Genoa. We were 2-0 down to mistakes again and after hitting the woodwork for the third time, I thought it wouldn't be our day. However, an inspired substitution of Adam Szalai for Eder in the 77th minute reaped rewards as he set up Levan Mchedlidze to score a beautiful chip from the edge of the area in the 80th minute. He then fed Mchedlidze again for a cool finish three minutes later to salvage the draw.

Next up was Lazio, and they cruised to a 3-1 win. 3 goals in the first half was only slightly tempered by Franceso Lodi's consolation strike.

Then came my televised clash with Inter. We were two down within 25 minutes, however we went for broke in the second half and that man, Levan Mchedlidze scored two headers from crosses by Andreas Ramberg and Rene Krhin in the 53rd and 57th minute to level us up. We were harrying Inter all over the park until Michelangelo Albertazzi saw a straight red for an elbow on an Inter player in the 81st minute. Cue backs to the wall defending and we saw out a 2-2 draw.

Finally, the month ended with our clash against Palermo. They were hot for revenge after our 4-2 win earlier in the season, however they came away empty-handed again after a 3-2 win. Palermo took the lead early on, only for Levan Mchedlidze to equalise in first half injury time. Eder then stroked us into the lead in the 63rd minute. However Palermo pegged us back 6 minutes later. In the 83rd minute, Eder captialised on a wayward throw and punished them with the winner!

Very enjoyable to read Deisler! You have convinced me to start a game with Empoli ;)

I will probably start tonight, maybe tomorrow. Will post updates in here.

Two questions though;

What leagues have you loaded?

Have you taught your players any ppm's that worked out really well?

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Just the Italian leagues with a huge database, I don't have the power to run many more, I don't think.

I taught Eder to place his shots which has worked out really well.

And I'm glad you've seen the potential ;) Don't forget to post in the Serie B thread too!

1st April 2011

Information

Board are back down to very pleased with me and very secure job status and are slightly disappointed with the departure of Youssuf Hersi. We asked for a commercial link feeder club and the board gave us a choice of three. I picked Miami FC as our commercial link club, although I will be hoping for a top-flight club at some point. Team is more settled after the ructions of Hersi and Eijde, however Matteo Guardelben is starting to rumble about no playing time. Luckily, he'll be released when his contract expires at the end of the season. Still having a defence problem and discipline problem, with 31 games gone, we're 5th on yellow & red cards and 5th from bottom on goals conceeded. Sold DC Alessandro Ianniciello for £500k to Mantova and Pietro Di Giorgio will go on a Bosman to Varese.

Results

A 2-0-2 record this month, started with a wonderful 2-1 win over Juventus. A penalty converted in the first minute by Levan Mchedlidze puts on our way and he popped up again with a header from a corner in first-half injury time to put us two up and cruising. Juventus pulled one back in the 66th minute and I shut the game down from there and rode out the win.

Next up was Fiorentina at home. Stevan Jovetic ran riot in the first half and scored in the 27th minute to put us on the back foot. They scored again 6 minutes later to make it 2-0 at half-time. I went to go for broke, yet between clicking and it changing, Jovetic scored again. Subsitute Mikkel Jakkola hit a rocket from the edge of the area to reduce the deficit and then slid home at the far post in the 89th minute to pull it back to 3-2 and we narrowly lost.

The next game was an absolute farce, a 1-0 defeat to Cagliari. We steam-rollered them all game, yet conceded on the break and lost Andreas Ramberg to a second yellow to put the crowning turd on top of the pudding.

To close out the month, we hosted Parma. A dull first half and beginning of the second was livened up by a headed goal for Parma in the 69th minute. I was already 3 subs down due to injury so I threw caution to the wind and Eder slammed in the equaliser, three minutes later. Both teams had chances until Adam Kokoszka was hauled down in the box in the 88th minute and Levan Mchedlidze stroked home the penalty to put the seal on a 2-1 win.

Ok so I've started a new game, will be managing Empoli.

Leagues loaded so far:

Italy > C1

Also the following leagues, only loaded the highest league:

England, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Argentina & Brazil.

Database: Large.

Will take a closer look at the selection right now. I will be playing a 4 4 2 formation as this is my favorite playing style.

1st May 2011

Information

The board are back to delighted with me and I'm again untouchable. I'm just looking forward to the end of the season now, as we need to take stock of our tactics and perhaps change them everso slightly. Resigned AM/FC Jari Litmanen until 2012, where he signalled his intention to play out his career. This, and my constant playing of him for Finland has put me in his favoured personnel.

Transfer-wise, AMRL Andy Van Der Meyde will be off to Taranto in the summer on a free, as will DC Solvi Ottesen for £2.5m to Dinamo Zagreb. Yet another sending off this month, again in a situation where I could have rescued a point, if not three, so that will require looking at in the tactics centre.

Results

The record of 1-1-2 this month was not good. It started with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Udinese. Udinese took the lead from a suspiciously offside goal just before half-time. I changed tactics and attacked. I threw everything, apart from the kitchen sink at them, and probably would have done that if I could get it off the wall. I knew the game was up when Andreas Ramberg was sent off for a second yellow, his third red card of the season. In the 87th minute, Udinese scored a heartbreaker from 30 yards to seal their win.

Next up was Napoli. A dull game was livened up by rasping strikes from Eder and Marek Hamsik to play out a 1-1 draw.

Next was another utter farce against our parent team, Roma. We talked up our chances and hit them straight from the off. We'd already hit the post when Andrea Ramberg rocketed a loose ball home from 20 yards to put us one up. Roma equalised with a looping cross from the touchline which beat Storari at the far post to give Roma a leveller they did not deserve. We continued to batter them, including another FOUR shots hitting the woodwork, before Julio Baptista hit a 35 yard wonder strike into the top corner in the 89th minute. Heartbreakingly, that was the end of the scoring and we lost 2-1.

To round out the month, Sampdoria were dispatched 4-1 in glorious fashion. Under-fire centre-back Solvi Ottesen bulleted home a header after two minutes to start us on the road and Adam Szalai soon made it two with another header from a corner. In the second half, we started to play a little champagne football and Alessio Cerci danced through the woeful Sampdoria defence and slotted home #3. Sampdoria pulled one back in the 85th minute with a glanced header, but Eder restored our three-goal advantage with a placed shot in the corner.

1st June 2011 - End of 2010-11 season

P38 W14 D8 L16 F70 A68 50pts

Board

We finished in 11th place. 5 points behind a top 10 spot. Board are happy and I'm very secure in my job. We received £3.2m for 11th place.

Team

We were nowhere in any end of year awards with loanee Alessio Cerci making the Serie A Team Of The Year. Weirdly, 37 year old Cristiano Doni won Serie A Player Of The Year! A lot of staff are retiring in the coming season, as well as 40 year old Jari Litmanen and 37 year old Matteo Guardelben so replacing them is a high priority. Levan Mchedlidze won Empoli Fans Player Of The Year and finished as our top scorer.

Transfers In

Only two transfers in so far, and they were two mentioned in previous posts.

Transfers Out

Again, only players noted earlier are on their way out of the club.

Results

The season ending month started with a 2-2 draw against AC Milan, with Milan netting the opener on the 11th minute. We equalised in first-half injury time through Levan Mchedlidze. A poacher's goal by Eder in the 73rd minute put us ahead, but Pato's jinking run pulled them level in the 87th minute.

Then came the worst (league) result of the season, we lost 5-1 to Livorno. They were two up by half-time and when Eder finished off a nice move, I had dreams of reeling them back in, however, our lack of caution meant we were utterly exploited at the back and hit on the break for another 3 goals.

We finished the season with a bang by defeating already-relegated Vicenza 4-0. An early goal from Mchedlidze set us on our way and then an Antunes free-kick put us 2-0 up in 8 mins! Mchedlidze finished coolly just before half time for 3 and then Eder sealed it in the 70th minute.

1st September 2011 - End of August transfer window

Board

Board want us to get a good mid-table position, this was to be achieved with a £23m budget and a £220k wage budget. Board were back down to pleased with me and I'm just secure on my job status.

Team

Team was trimmed of a lot of deadwood. AML Sandro Lanzi was the pick of this year's crop of newgens, again he's rated as possibly one of the best players of his generation. I feel quite fortunate that we've had 3 players in the last 2 years who have been able to slot straight into the first team/fringe from the very beginning. I've also added a new formation tweak for when Iker Muniain plays instead of Eder. Marco Storari, Johan Absalonen and Matteo Darmian all signed new contracts with the club and I signed Jari Litmanen as a player/coach for Empoli and as my Ass Man for Finland.

Transfers In

A few co-ownerships came in. AMR Gaston Brugman, DM/MC Stefano Panarello and ST Riccardo Saponara were won for the combined price of £1k. Both previously mentioned DC's also came in for free and £2.5m, respectively. DR/WB/MRL Hasan Salihamidzic, GK Matteo Sereni. D/WBL Javi Moreno and DC Nicolas Lombaerts all came in off the free transfer list, having been released by Juventus, Torino, Osasuna and Zenit St Petersburg respectively. DM Davidson came in on a co-ownership from Roma for £1.5m and a young prospect, AMLC Milan Jirasek was signed on a free from Inter.

Transfers Out

Co-ownership is a good thing, as I managed to offload some players that I didn't need. D/WBR Ivano Baldanzeddu, ML Felice Prevete and, sadly, DM/MC Christian Obodo went out to Lucchese, Cavese and Udinese with only Obodo attracting a £1.4m fee from his co-club. DC's Solvi Ottesen went to Dinamo Kiev for £2.5m and Alessandro Ianniciello went to Monza for £500k in pre-arranged deals. Two players were released and Matteo Guardalben retired. D/WBL Antunes was co-owned by Sampdoria in a £1.5m deal. Finally misfit AMRLC Gabriel Ozkan was shipped out to Mantova for £1.7m

Results

A full house on wins, pre-season with Sporting Lisbon dispatched 2-1, FC Eindhoven lost 6-0, Roma were beaten 2-1 and finally a trio of wins on tour in Romania, 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0.

In Serie A, we clinically dispatched newly-promoted Lecce on the first day of the season 3-0, with Eder finishing crisply in the 5th minute to put us one up. Francesco Lodi then curled in from the edge of the area to put us two up in the 25th minute. Two minutes later, Levan Mchedlidze glanced a header home at the near post to finish the game as a contest. I dialled back everything after that and just let us play out the clock.

Next up was AC Milan at home and I was fearful of a beating. I tweaked us to be a bit more defensive and man-marking the dangermen. However that appeared to be for nothing as Pato scored for the third time in three games against me to put Milan one up. We battled back, threw caution to the wind and Francesco Lodi fired home a free-kick to pull us level. We fought for a winner, but it ended 1-1.

Italian Cup-wise, we had Rimini in the Third Qualifying Round. I put out a new signing/fringe/youth side and we romped to a 2-0 victory. First up, Iker Muniain put us ahead with a cool finish in the 41st minute. After half time, I dialled everything back and relaxed. Then, with a minute to go, young debutant Sandro Lanzi latched onto a long ball into the box and fired home from the edge of the six-yard box. That strike made him Empoli's youngest ever goalscorer and player (by 2 days in the second instance).

1st October 2011

Information

Board are pleased with my management and secure job status, due to the excellent squad harmony and are disappointed with the sale of Gabriel Ozkan. I'm more than happy he's gone, so I think the board are being a bit pernicky. We've not had any more departures from the squad and will be strengthening with WB/AML Armand Traore from Arsenal for £7.5m and D/MC Olli Puhakka from FC Lahti for £180k in January. I'm trying to pick up a lot of young Finnish talent in order to keep the talent conveyor belt going. Andreas Ramberg has been injured for the last month and we have missed his combativeness in the middle of the park.

Team

My starting 2011-12 XI and backups are;

GK Marco Storari (Matteo Sereni)

DR Hasan Salihamidzic (Felice Piccolo)

DL Antunes (Javi Moreno)

DC Sergey Kryvtsov (Ayila Yussef)

DC Matteo Darmian (Nicolas Lombaerts)

MR Francesco Lodi (Mikkel Jakkola)

ML Johan Absalonen (Sandro Lanzi)

MC Andreas Ramberg (Davidson)

MC Rene Krhin (Jari Litmanen)

ST Levan Mchedlidze (Adam Szalai)

ST Eder (Iker Muniain)

Results

A 1-1-1 record this month kicked off with the visit of Juventus. A defensive set up was put together and we kicked off. A rocket from the edge of the area by Johan Absalonen put us 1 up in the 16th minute. Juventus huffed and puffed, but didn't seem to be threatening. Just after half-time, a foul by Matteo Darmian led to Juventus scoring a free-kick to level the scores. We threw caution to the wind and attacked with everything we had. A Juventus player saw red for an elbow and we started to believe we could pull it off. However, Diego had other ideas and waltzed through my defence in the 93rd minute to stroke home the winner and we lost 2-1

Next up was personal rivals Siena. Adam Szalai powered home a header from a corner to put us one up in the 37th minute. However a soft penalty was conceded and Siena drew level in the 67th minute. We battled hard, but just couldn't break through and we came away with a 1-1 draw. I was fined afterwards for my post-match comments.

Finally this month, we faced another rival in the shape of Fiorentina. We started brightly and were rewarded with a cool finish from Eder to put us 1-0 up in the 10th minute. Blows were traded, but no real dramas until Adam Szalai climbed all over a Fiorentina player in the box in the 37th minute. They dispatched the resulting penalty to make it 1-1. Szalai was hauled off at half-time for that transgression and his replacement, Levan Mchedlidze, set up what was to be the winner with a flick on to Eder who finished easily. Aylia Youssuf was dismissed in the 84th minute for persistant fouling so I shut down the game and rode out the 2-1 win.

1st November 2011

Information

Board are very pleased with my performance so far, underlined by my 2-1 victory over Fiorentina last month. However, they're not happy with my 2-0 defeat to Udinese (neither am I!) Injuries have played a part again this season, as Andreas Ramberg has missed 3 or 4 games this month with injuries and he's an integral part of my side. Team has looked pretty settled now, with no-one complaining about a lack of game time. Adding to the players coming in during January is ST Lauri Dalla Valle for £6m from Liverpool and AMC Mika Vayrynen for £900k from sc Heerenveen. I wanted them in, so as to nuture and improve them for my Finland side and also to take the heat off Eder and Rene Krhin, who have been struggling. Eder needs 3 more goals to become the all-time top league goalscorer for Empoli.

Results

A bad month as I went 1-2-2 for the 5 games :(. First up were Livorno, who beat me 5-1 last season. We got off to a great start as Levan Mchedlidze netted a great downward header on 3 minutes to put us in the driving seat. However, Livorno hit back with 3 goals in 30 mins, two for a player who hadn't scored all season, despite playing every game!!. 3-1 down at half time, I threw men forward and Mchedlidze scored to reduce the deficit and with seconds remaining, Andreas Ramberg scored through a forest of legs to equalise in the 93rd minute. 3-3.

Next up was Udinese. A terrible match was compounded by two dreadful goals conceded midway through the second half. We looked impotent and I was NOT happy. Shouting may have occured. We lost 2-0. Move on.

After that nightmare, we were looking for a good result against Genoa. Big mistake. Simone Pepe ran riot, scoring two first half goals, sandwiching a Francesco Lodi strike. Goalie Marco Storari was viciously unlucky with an own goal that came off the back of his head and Genoa broke to score a fourth in the 66th minute. It took til the 91st minute for us to get a consolation goal for Lodi, who finished from close range. 4-2 to Genoa, it finished.

Confidence was a bit battered when we faced Cagliari. And, true to our current form, we went 1-0 down in the 8th minute. Leven Mchedlidze rescued us and put us in the lead with two goals in the 15th and 17th minutes. Cagliari equalised in the 41st minute and we went in at half-time, drawing 2-2. In the 67th minute Eder, who had been struggling recently, popped up with the game winner, finishing low into the corner. And just to compound things, Cagliari had a player sent off in the 90th minute. 3-2.

To round the month off, we had Roma at home. We started off in spectacular fashion, with Levan Mchedlidze netting an early strike in the fifth minute. Daniele De Rossi then saw red in the 35th minute and a Jeremy Menez own-goal had Roma rocking. After half-time, we tried to play keep ball only for Roma to come roaring back. First up, Julio Baptista scored minutes after kick-off, then Jeremy Menez made up for his earlier error by netting the equaliser and Baptista scored again to put Roma up 3-2 in the 60th minute. Mchedlidze saved an embarassing defeat by scoring in the 73rd minute and it finished 3-3

1st December 2011

Information

Board are pleased with our performances so far (although I'm not!) and I'm secure in the job, however the fans are as unhappy with Hasan Salihamidzic's performances as they are happy with Nicolas Lombaerts' signing. No transfers in, however AMC Federico Insua is off to Cagliari for £750k as I have no need for him. I was linked heavily with the Lazio and Roma jobs after both teams sacked their managers, but denied it publicly to the press. Atalanta offered me their manager's job, but I thought I was better off at Empoli and turned it down.

3 of my coaches and my ass man were poached by other clubs, so I had to recruit new coaches and promote from within. AML Sandro Lanzi signed a new 4 year deal.

Results

A terrible run of 1-0-3 this month really brought home the toughness of playing at this level. I don't think I'll reach the heights of an 11th place finish again. It started off with a 4-1 beating from Inter. Samuel Eto'o put Inter 1-0 up, but Eder equalised in the 23rd minute with a placed finish. Inter then ran away with it with 3 goals in the second half and we looked ragged.

Next up was a 2-0 defeat to Palermo. We struggled and never looked like threatening Palermo, who found it embarrassingly easy to beat us. A scrambled goal from a corner and a 95th minute breakaway strike sealed our fate.

Reggina were the visitors in the next game and the 35th minute, Adam Szalai conceded a penalty and we found ourselves 1-0 down again. However, Rene Krhin and Adam Szalai, redeeming himself, ensured we would come away with a 2-1 victory.

In the Italian Cup Fourth Qualifying Round, we faced Lecce. I'm not going to say anything, this link speaks louder than I ever could..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/delenfent/BAH-1.jpg

Also, there was the first penalty miss I'd seen in 2 1/2 seasons. AAAGGHHH!!!

Archived