'Unable to initialize sound- please make sure DirextX is installed'

Since the update on Dec 1st. I have not been able to open my game. Every time that I open it the screen resolution goes funny flickers and the window pops up saying 'Unable to initialize sound- please make sure DirectX is installed properly'. Once I click 'ok' the screen flickers then goes back to previous resolution.I have the latest DirectX so im not sure the issue. I dont have this issue with anything else and I could play the game fine before the latest updates.

Since the update on Dec 1st. I have not been able to open my game. Every time that I open it the screen resolution goes funny flickers and the window pops up saying 'Unable to initialize sound- please make sure DirectX is installed properly'. Once I click 'ok' the screen flickers then goes back to previous resolution.I have the latest DirectX so im not sure the issue. I dont have this issue with anything else and I could play the game fine before the latest updates.

I'm having this issue as well. I hope there's a fix out there somewhere!

• SI Staff

Version 1.0.1 should fix the DirectX error at game start if you had changed the preferences to a full screen mode in the game.

If you are still having issues starting the game with the latest version, have you tried deleting the "game.cfg" from your temp folder to clear the preferences (default location is: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\EHM\) ?

Version 1.0.1 should fix the DirectX error at game start if you had changed the preferences to a full screen mode in the game.

If you are still having issues starting the game with the latest version, have you tried deleting the "game.cfg" from your temp folder to clear the preferences (default location is: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\EHM\) ?

I have never been able to load up the game whatsoever, since I bought the EA, mainly because of this issue but also a couple of others. I've reinstalled afresh, from Steam, yesterday and today and I still get the Direct X problem.

There is no file that you describe, for me, as I've never been able to adjust the preferences.

I have not been able to load it, so it is on the screen setting from before the newest version, which I believe was only full screen. I have gone to the file you suggested and the "game.cfg"does not exist. I have deleted it in the past as it was a suggested to somebody else in a different post. If this is not resolved I kindly ask for my money back as I cannot play the game I payed for.

I found and deleted that file, however I am still getting that error :(

I was wondering if anybody has an answer to this other the same two things that Riz Remes keeps saying on multiple posts. I keep downloading new fixes, but I still have not been able to start the game. What am I doing wrong ? Do I need to change something in my settings? Do I need to reinstall something ? This is pretty annoying. I liked the game when it was just an early access because then I could actually play it.

What resolution are you running on your system, which operating system are you on, and what version of DirectX do you guys have installed ?

1080p, but I tried to run it in lower resolution too also tried different compatible modes such as win xp

I run Windows 10

It says direct x 12 but also uninstaled direct x and reinstalled 11 but windows seems to upgrade it to 12 again

If you like I can post my whole system configuration from direct x when I get home from work tonight if it helps to iron it out

I can also try to install it on the other two pc we have, if that helps

Cheers for replying

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the problem where EHL was not able start after upgrade from the Early Access Release, with DirectX and the Sound issue.

Mine is Win 10 and 1920x1080 resolution and I solved it by this ..:

1. Start Steam and right click on Eastside Hockey Manager.

2. Select Preferences, Local Files and View Local Files.

3. Right click on EHM.exe and select preferences and the Compatibility Tab.

4. Ensure all is selections are blank.

5. Restart Steam and start Eastside Hockey Manager.

Now it is working but with a small Window.

To enlarge it:

1. Select Prefences.

2. Window Mode = Boarderless Window

3. Resolution = 1920x1080

4. Restart game

Bingo;)

I also had the problem where EHL was not able start after upgrade from the Early Access Release, with DirectX and the Sound issue.

Mine is Win 10 and 1920x1080 resolution and I solved it by this ..:

1. Start Steam and right click on Eastside Hockey Manager.

2. Select Preferences, Local Files and View Local Files.

3. Right click on EHM.exe and select preferences and the Compatibility Tab.

4. Ensure all is selections are blank.

5. Restart Steam and start Eastside Hockey Manager.

Now it is working but with a small Window.

To enlarge it:

1. Select Prefences.

2. Window Mode = Boarderless Window

3. Resolution = 1920x1080

4. Restart game

Bingo;)

thanks this worked for me

i have the same problem and fixed it, but when i try the boarderless window all whent black. tried to reinstall the game and nothing works.

cant even open the game. so my question is... can i remove all the settings i changed without start the game? or at least get a fullscreen before i start the game??

• 2 months later...

'Unable to initialize sound- please make sure DirextX is installed' Game not working. II have tried all the trickery to be found about this issue without success. Error message visible only when in set ehm.exe to run in 640@... and so on mode. In any other case there are no errors. Game just won't start.

Hardware is an asus s400ca laptop with Intel innards. I am trying to run this game in win7 which runs in virtualbox which runs in lxle. Bought the game today after years and years of playing EHM2007. Solution to fix it would be nice. It's a bit expensive game since i'm not able to play it.

• 4 weeks later...
Any official fix for this? Getting same issue since buying new laptop with Windows 10.

Please help Riz.

Have you tried deleting the "game.cfg" from your temp folder to clear the preferences (default location is: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\EHM\)?

• 4 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Win10 is not officially supported as an OS yet, so I'm afraid you'll need to do some adjustments to your compatibility settings (see above) and possibly disable scaling on high DPI depending on your native resolution.

If you need to reset all the game preferences (like the game window resolution and window type, you can delete the "game.cfg" from your temp folder to clear the preferences (default location is: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\EHM\)

Archived